• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone else upset that Robin didn't die?

Mehansa

Townie
In 'Chosen' I was really upset that Anya died so, I was really excited when Robin got stabbed. Then on the bus when his eyes stopped moving and I thought he had died I was really happy. I was beyond frustrated when he coughed back to life and said SURPRISE!

Did anyone else feel this way and were you upset that Anya was the only significant character that died?

Faded90

Potential
He became so insufferable and obnoxious for the last third of the season or so he’s someone I’d have like to have seen killed off. I really don’t like the comics but one thing I liked was them outside of a couple of cameos shuffling him off into the ether

I think in 90% of post Chosen fanfiction I’ve read Robin seems to get dropped off at the hospital then everyone just forgets he exists 😂

Mehansa

Townie
@Faded90 He really is insufferable and such a weirdo. I like to imagine that's what happened after chosen as well. He should have died instead of Anya!

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Nope. Anya's death was a good thing for me because I cared that she died. I wouldn't have cared that much if Robin died, even if I wouldn't have cheered, for the simple fact that I didn't 'know' the character very well. So his death would've been less impactful in terms of storytelling. When he coughs and wakes up on the bus at the end I honestly feel nothing, it was the same to me whether he lived or died.

Anya dying was shocking and I appreciate that as a viewer.

Faded90
Faded90
Yeah totally get what you mean about the lack of feeling in his ‘surprise’ moment. I’m basically sitting there thinking ‘erm ok’

Mehansa

Townie
@Taake Yea it was successful in the sense that it upset me, but it is really annoying how none of the characters acknowledge or was upset that she died. Especially Xander since he was just seen joking around.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
@Faded90 I guess it was more a surprise for Faith than the audience though 😂 I hope anyway because i dont think many fans were overcome with emotion for Robin.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I've said in the past, most of what made Anya great was the actress, not the character, as opposed to someone like Illyria, where the character is compelling in Illyria's own right. I have no problem with killing Anya, in a series that's about physical resistance to evil and was made in a decade that loved the Christ metaphor, giving your own life to save another is the highest honor. Especially for the character arc.

Re: Robin; Yeah, he feels like a Angel story. I mean, Spike not caring is the twist. That's it. But, to be fair, he's a creditable demon hunter in a series that usually diminishes them to make Buffy look better. Aside from representation, that type of character would have had a place in a successor or spin-off series. So, I can see why keeping him around, since killing vampires went from something Giles had difficulty with to something Fred could do in melee combat, might be useful, depending on what type of project you needed.

Faded90

Potential
@Faded90 I guess it was more a surprise for Faith than the audience though 😂 I hope anyway because i dont think many fans were overcome with emotion for Robin.
Yeah that’s true. I found Robin fairly unbearable though at this point I was kind of hoping Faith’s reaction would be ‘erm ok’ 😂

Athene
Athene
That would have been funny 😄 she did shut his eyes.

Priceless

Scooby
I was happy Robin didn't die as I thought he and Faith might have a future. The comics made sure that didn't happen and I do understand why, but I wish the couple had been given more of a chance.

I thought Anya's death was good writing, a great way for her to go out and a lovely culmination of her growth from vengeance demon to sacrificing herself for the good of humanity, very similar to Spike. She did return as a ghost in the comics, but the world had moved on and she didn't particularly fit the story anymore.

Mehansa

Townie
@AlphaFoxtrot I agree that Anya's actress really did make Anya great, but she is also good on paper. The way they had her die technically wasn't a sacrifice so it was meaningless. And I feel like Robin was just there and I saw no specialty in him.

@Priceless In my point of view Faith and Robin had no future cause it seemed like a causal one night stand. I also don't think that Anya's death was written well because it was literally her being cut in half and no one mourned her at all. Xander just looked for her about 10 seconds and left. I would have preferred to see her having a proper moment to say good bye rather than sliced in half.

Last edited by a moderator:

Priceless

Scooby
@Priceless In my point of view Faith and Robin had no future cause it seemed like a causal one night stand. I also don't think that Anya's death was written well because it was literally her being cut in half and no one mourned her at all. Xander just looked for her about 10 seconds and left. I would have preferred to see her having a proper moment to say good bye rather than sliced in half.
A lot of people would have liked Chosen to be a two parter, so there would have been more time for a 'goodbye Anya' scene. Personally I was happy with what we got. In Season 3 Anya left town when she found out about the ascension and within four years she became someone who stayed to fight, knowing she might die. That's some good character growth.

What we got with Xander was a throwaway line, but I'm not sure what else we could have got. He wasn't one to burst into tears, but maybe there should have been a bigger reaction and would have been in a two parter.

The writers agreed with you about Robin and Faith. I'm just a shipper who likes to see couples together 😀

Mehansa

Townie
@Priceless yea I do agree with you on the two-parter. I feel like Anya had a great character development over the seasons which is why I hate her 2 second death scene. She should have had more of a goodbye as she became a core scooby. Also, none of the other scoobies wondered where she is which is really upsetting considering that she died helping them. Xander was with her for three years so I would have hoped that he'd cried over Anya more even if he doesn't usually cry considering that he "loved" her. I personally don't see it, but if you ship them that's cool.:)

white avenger

white avenger
Look back carefully at that scene. Robin Wood DID die. What happened was that the entire First Evil apocalypse thing was just a ruse to trick Buffy and her team into destroying the army of ubervamps who had been keeping the F E imprisoned and incorporeal there in the hellmouth. By defeating the ubervamps and blowing up the hellmouth, Buffy unleashed hell on earth and actually brought about, not stopped the final apocalypse. (Call it Ragnarok to differentiate this one from all the previous little skirmishes that had happened the previous Seasons. They were just warm ups for the real show)

Robin Wood died, and, just as a demon inhabits a human body to become a vampire, the First Evil inhabited Robin's body in order to become corporeal.

Will Buffy and her friends find out in time to defeat the combined forces of the First Evil, the Senior Partners, Glorificus, and their most powerful minion, that shadowy killer known to the world as The Immortal? Will Buffy and her one true Champion be reunited in time to bring together all the forces of Good, Hope, and Righteousness throughout the multiverse into a cohesive army powerful enough to defend all mankind?

Well, we'll never know now, cause Joss didn't write it that way.

But it could have been awesome if he had.....

white avenger

white avenger
@white avenger Why does this make more sense than what actually happened in season 7?🤔
Maybe because Joss never really intended to end his story with Season 7, but Sarah was tired of the pressure of being the central character in a very physically tiring series. Maybe the various actors just wanted to move on to different roles. Maybe Joss just got tired of the hassle of dealing with networks and sponsors anymore. It could have been any, all, or none of those reasons. Maybe it just never occurred to Joss to go in that direction.

The particular details (or speculation) that I mentioned are the result of a bull session in a car on a long road trip that I and a few other Buffy fans took (on the way to a Star Trek convention, ironically) a couple of years after what we considered to be the infuriating cop out cliffhanger final scene of Season 5 of "Angel." It would have involved crossovers from "Highlander," "Forever Knight,"
and several other sifi/fantasy shows and movies, and would have been, in my humble opinion, awesome.

Mehansa

Townie
@white avenger there does seem to have a lot factors as to why season 7 ended the way it did. I do like your take on how it should've of been. You should maybe write a fanfiction based on it. I know I would read it. 😄

thrasherpix

Scooby
Xander doesn't react: bastard (even though he wasn't joking, he was indulging Andrew, and I think impressed that Andrew would lie to bolster someone other than himself, unless you want to dismiss it as more of the atrocious writing this season in which case it doesn't count anyway). Xander reacts when Buffy is going after Anya to kill her: hypocrite (at best, and will ignore how Xander was the only one backing Buffy's final decision on Spike this season which Anya did not do). I see how this works.

A story of that magnitude pretty much requires a significant sacrifice. And they couldn't do that to anyone else to have such an impact AND have the scene they wanted at the end of it of them united...well, maybe Dawn (and wouldn't it be a sucker punch if Dawn died, turned into a green glow before the eyes of everyone, and gave the final push to shut down the Hellmouth as the Key that locks as well as unlocks, it all glowing green as they retreat, and when they talk about it later, they wonder what that green glow was and none can remember, though Buffy mentions she feels she's seen it before, in a dream maybe).

As for Wood...such a strong entrance. But I also feel nothing for him, good or bad, by the end. At least other than I wish they'd made him a villain. Overall, I think this was an ambitious season (with a focus on specific scenes and speeches Joss had in mind) that was forced on burned out writers and actors needing a vacation.

white avenger

white avenger
As for Wood...such a strong entrance. But I also feel nothing for him, good or bad, by the end. At least other than I wish they'd made him a villain.
I've been saying that ever since that Season aired. Wood was totally wasted as one of Buffy's allies, especially when you consider that his main purpose in the Season was to have someone with a vendetta against Spike. He would have been better portrayed as a minion of the First Evil than what turned out to simply be its pawn.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Maybe because Joss never really intended to end his story with Season 7, but Sarah was tired of the pressure of being the central character in a very physically tiring series. Maybe the various actors just wanted to move on to different roles. Maybe Joss just got tired of the hassle of dealing with networks and sponsors anymore. It could have been any, all, or none of those reasons. Maybe it just never occurred to Joss to go in that direction.

The particular details (or speculation) that I mentioned are the result of a bull session in a car on a long road trip that I and a few other Buffy fans took (on the way to a Star Trek convention, ironically) a couple of years after what we considered to be the infuriating cop out cliffhanger final scene of Season 5 of "Angel." It would have involved crossovers from "Highlander," "Forever Knight,"
and several other sifi/fantasy shows and movies, and would have been, in my humble opinion, awesome.
Actually Joss not to long back said he only had a 5 year arc planned, so it should've been ended much sooner. The UPN money was just to good to turn down I guess.

You don't even need to read that interview, just read "Season 8" and the bat $h!t crazy ideas Joss did to know that.

As for Wood himself there was no plan for him. At one point they didn't even know if he was even going to be a male or female character hence the gender neutral name Robin. You've got the dropped subplot of him burying Jonathan's body which ends up being a bait and switch and you’ve got a badly thought out final season in which the writers have clearly given up besides throwing potentials against the wall to see what would generate a spin off.

The idea that there was a larger plan is laughable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom