• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone else upset that Robin didn't die?

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Like in any good show, a character death has to be one that will move the fans, Robin was both a newish character and not a a very popular one, so his death would have brought very little emotional impact and quite probably taken away from the emotional turmoil fans would have felt upon Anya's death

Mehansa
Mehansa
Yes that is true a Anya's death does move fan, but I wish she got a proper goodbye. Its sad that she got killed and no one bothered to ask for her.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Kennedy should've died, that would've made fans very happy.

As much as it wouldn't bother me if Robin died, I think the writers were wary of killing off yet another named black character (as opposed to a nameless POC vampire/potential/human etc. They already killed Kendra and Mr Trick and there was already slight criticism about the lack of diversity. Gunn is the only significant black character on either show.

Mehansa
Mehansa
I totally agree! Kennedy was the single most annoying character in season 7, I wish she had died instead of Anya. I do agree that if they were to Kill Robin people would have criticise the show more. However, I can't like him just because he's black.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Doomstar Requiem
Black Thorn
In 'Chosen' I was really upset that Anya died so, I was really excited when Robin got stabbed. Then on the bus when his eyes stopped moving and I thought he had died I was really happy. I was beyond frustrated when he coughed back to life and said SURPRISE!

Did anyone else feel this way and were you upset that Anya was the only significant character that died?
It was a meaningless death, and it pissed me off. And to die defending Andrew, of all people? Super annoying.

Faded90

Potential
I think Kennedy should've died, that would've made fans very happy.

As much as it wouldn't bother me if Robin died, I think the writers were wary of killing off yet another named black character (as opposed to a nameless POC vampire/potential/human etc. They already killed Kendra and Mr Trick and there was already slight criticism about the lack of diversity. Gunn is the only significant black character on either show.
I think I’ve read somewhere Joss said he wanted one of the core 4 to end the show in a happy relationship. The problem is it’s Kennedy. In Chosen Xander and Buffy love their current ‘love interest’, Giles is single and yet my finger of sadness is still pointed at Willow who is now stuck with Kennedy 😂

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There was only one purpose to Robin's near death: to show Faith had a connection with him - she was relieved that he survived and maybe she had started to believe his idea that there are some guys worth a longer relationship than a one-night stand. This is supposed to give us some hope for her future in that she could have a relationship with someone else.

As for Robin himself, he was a throwaway character who took a long time to reveal whether he was a good guy or a bad guy. As with most people in the Whedonverse, he turned out to be a bit of both.

Faded90

Potential
There was only one purpose to Robin's near death: to show Faith had a connection with him - she was relieved that he survived and maybe she had started to believe his idea that there are some guys worth a longer relationship than a one-night stand. This is supposed to give us some hope for her future in that she could have a relationship with someone else.

As for Robin himself, he was a throwaway character who took a long time to reveal whether he was a good guy or a bad guy. As with most people in the Whedonverse, he turned out to be a bit of both.
Yeah I’ve always took Robin’s talk to Faith as an indication of Faith in general realising that some guys are decent and don’t just want sex from her. I don’t see Robin/Faith as a couple in the future but like you say makes Faith think maybes she could have a full relationship one day

I should add that this is mostly my headcannon because I love Faith and despised Robin. No way is he the guy for Faith 😂

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I should add that this is mostly my headcannon because I love Faith and despised Robin. No way is he the guy for Faith 😂
I found Robin's attitude to Faith kind of creepy. He was all into Buffy until she sided with Spike then, because she fell off the pedestal Robin had put her on, he turned on her whilst moving his attentions to Faith- the only other slayer in the vicinity. He then makes a snide comment about her sexual prowess, one of the few things she prides herself on, and it was almost like he manipulated her into not dumping him by insulting her.

Faded90

Potential
I found Robin's attitude to Faith kind of creepy. He was all into Buffy until she sided with Spike then, because she fell off the pedestal Robin had put her on, he turned on her whilst moving his attentions to Faith- the only other slayer in the vicinity. He then makes a snide comment about her sexual prowess, one of the few things she prides herself on, and it was almost like he manipulated her into not dumping him by insulting her.
Yeah this is what’s always made me believe he has this creepy Oedipal thing going on. Obviously Buffy and Faith are hot it’s understandable that a single man would cast their eyes towards them but the thing I find creepy is that he strokes their egos in a very very obvious way. He’s completely waxed lyrical about Buffy all season and told her she’s the best thing since sliced bread. He has her on a major pedestal then when Buffy shows she’s human as well as superhuman she gets knocked off it and Faith gets placed straight on there. I’m Touched he’s known her literally a matter of a couple of hours and he’s stroking her ego in the same way, telling her she’s a good leader (mate you’ve known her literally a few hours. I don’t mean that as a slight against Faith but he doesn’t know her) . Then the next morning he’s put out when she doesn’t give him his own special job (again mate you’ve known her a few hours and you’re expecting special attention). He doesn’t objectify her as a sex object but he does objectify her as a slayer. Again he’s put out just like with Buffy when Faith shows she’s human as well as superhuman. He doesn’t seem to understand that Buffy and Faith have their own personalities, motivations and desires outside of being a slayer. I could rant about him all day to be honest 😂 plus the scene where he encourages Faith to believe The Firsts manipulations that Buffy is dangerous, again showing he doesn’t even remotely know Faith. Anybody who knows anything about Faith knows it’s lunacy to encourage any distrust of Buffy in her 😂. I always felt their reactions to the first showed that Faith is actually far stronger emotionally than Robin. Robins reaction to it ‘thank you’ whereas Faith tells it ‘get out’ and then admits that she just wants Buffy there - she doesn’t want to believe it whereas Robin does

in my headcannon (completely ignoring the comics here) Robin just gets cancelled immediately 😂

Top Bottom