• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone fancy taking part in a Top 50 TV shows poll?

Mr Trick

Scooby
My top 20 personal favorites is much different than my objective top 20 list, my personal tastes aside. I thought about it and decided to go with the later, my effort to be unbiased and somewhat objective. Wasn't sure what you wanted, but oh well, whatever. I'm very curious about the results.
Think that's the same for most people. I mean Nostalgia for a show like Daria is a big factor for me. It does make me pick it ahead of certain other shows which I know are probably better (though different too).

Another thing I will do is ask members for a write up on some of the shows they voted for to include in the final list. Thinking mostly for the top twenty.

So a couple more days to vote. I will try and get the first results up next week.

GraceK
GraceK
Dammit I forgot Daria!!

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
This sounds like a very interesting idea.
So any sort of tv show? Does that include soaps?
Also when you say mini series would that be ones that lasted for one series but ran for a particular evening every week for over a month or so?
Can also include non speaking tv shows?

Mr Trick

Scooby
This sounds like a very interesting idea.
So any sort of tv show? Does that include soaps?
Also when you say mini series would that be ones that lasted for one series but ran for a particular evening every week for over a month or so?
Can also include non speaking tv shows?
Yes pretty much any type of show. A min-series would be a one off story that is just one series. So a recent example would be Sharp Objects. PM me your top 20 by April 2nd to take part:)

Hunga Munga

Potential
Been getting some great lists! Keep them coming:)

BTW I think the next poll will be for best TV characters.
I reckon best sitcoms/comedies might be a good one too . There were so many sitcoms that were so damn good but probably won't trouble the scorers too much on this poll . I discarded Friends and Frasier and others , not because they weren't great or influential tv ...but just lacking that jawdropping quality of the 'top' shows in my opinion . In the end only one made the cut
My top 20 personal favorites is much different than my objective top 20 list, my personal tastes aside. I thought about it and decided to go with the later, my effort to be unbiased and somewhat objective. Wasn't sure what you wanted, but oh well, whatever. I'm very curious about the results.
I did a bit of both . I don't feel right voting for shows like 'The Wire' or 'Sopranos' , while undeniably good , they didn't compel me to watch them like most folk . Every show I picked I love , but I also think were objectively very fine television . Lots of my personal faves , like Teen Wolf or Grimm didn't make the cut . I didn't feel they were special enough to make the 'top' grade. .
I resisted the temptation to throw curveballs like 'Dharma and Greg' or 'Hill Street Blues' or 'Moonlighting' or Thirtysomething , all seminal important shows in their own way , but hardly the stuff of legends .
In the end I couldn't find 20 that filled my criteria . I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I ended up picking all English language shows with a white bias . Plenty of diversity in the supporting cast but not a single lead :(

Mr Trick

Scooby
@Hunga Munga That's true could do genres as well. Actually think sitcoms/comedies are quite well represented on this list. But I know that some people have issues ranking them alongside drama/fantasy type shows. Think I might also do a top Episodes poll.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
you're out of control with these polls! πŸ˜ƒ

Mr Trick

Scooby
So the deadline is midnight tonight (UK time). Will try and get the first round of results up tomorrow or Thursday.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
This made me aware I love tv way to much πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Sad thing is Daria may have got in if you'd voted.

Mr Trick

Scooby
@GraceK Yeah you did send me your list. You have 90 minutes to send me another one if want to change it and cause me some pain editing ito_O

@AshSlays Well you do have up to the deadline to change things:)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Time for the first set of results! First thing to say is that there's a fair few big hitters that missed out on the top 50 (but I won't name names for spoiler sake;)). Fair to say there are some surprises on the list, and somethings not so surprising. But there's certainly a diverse range of shows represented so thank-you everyone for all the votes. There were many twists and turns along the way and for most the list the points were very close. So its time to answer those big questions.

As is normally the case the lower ranked numbers have many shows on the same points but that is less so the case as we get further up the list. So to start with we have a batch of different shows tied at the number 50 slot.

50. CHANNEL ZERO (2016-2018)

Part of the growth in niche horror anthology shows (American Horror Story probably being the most high profile). Channel Zero debuted on the Syfy Channel in the Fall of 2016 (October of course!). Over 4 seasons (each self-contained, each individually titled like chapters in a book), the series picked up a reputation for going to some dark and disturbing places. Though it was likely the mystery and how it played with the surreal and bizarre which most intrigued fans. Not to mention how truly creepy some of the creatures were. Over the four seasons the impressive casting included Paul Schneider, Killing Eve's Fiona Shaw, John Carroll Lynch, Rutger Hauer and horror legend Barbara Crampton. More of a cult hit and not for everyone. But Channel Zero left a impression on its target audience.

#8 out of Ten Cats does Countdown (2012-present)

First airing as a one off in 2012 as part of a "marsh up night", Channel Four commissioned a full series the following year and it has become a regular series ever since. The concept is simply take the comedy elements of the long running panel show 8 out of Ten Cats and add them to the structure of the much loved British Game show Countdown. 8OTC host Jimmy Carr was the host, and captains Sean Lock and Jon Richardson were the weekly contestants with a whole host of fellow comics guest starring each week (including Rhod Gilbert, Stephan Manghan, Sarah Millican and Henning Wehn). From the Countdown side number and word experts Susie Dent and the lovely Rachel Riley made remained, with Joe Wilkinson also joining Dent. One of the more unusual appearances was by former footballer Clarke Carlise (who had also appeared on Mastermind). In 2018 there was a all female edition of the show featuring Katherine Ryan (host), Roisin Conaty, Sara Pascoe, Jessica Hynes and Lolly Adefope.

#Rick and Morty (2013-present)

The first animation on the list. It comes from the brilliantly wacky and cineliterate mind of Dan Harmon (creator of Community) and Justin Roiland. Rick and Morty spawned from an animated short which parodied Back to the Future which was shown at a short film festival co-founded by Harmon. When independent production company Adult Swim approached the pair about ideas for a show, they decided to turn the short into a long running surreal hybrid of family comedy and science fiction adventure, with countless shows and movies spoofed, plus a little philosophy for nice measure. Roiland voiced both title characters with Chris Parnell (30 Rock), Spencer Grammer and Sarah Chalke (Scrubs, Rosanne) making up the other regulars. The show built a small but passionate fanbase during the first couple of seasons but has now become a bigger hit in popular culture. It's not only been recommissioned for a 4th season but has been picked up for a further 70 episodes meaning there is likely to be multiple seasons still to come.

Taake
Taake
8 out of 10 cats does countdown is the best!

Mr Trick

Scooby
# Black Sails (2014-2017)

The success of this historical action adventure drama highlights the growing power of streaming and social media platforms. It originally premiered free on Youtube and On demand sites at the start of 2014. With a positive response the series debuted on cable television the following week. The idea conceived by Jonathan E. Steinberg and Robert Levine was a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic swash buckling novel Treasure Island (1883). Set about two years before Stevenson's story, the pilot episode is set in the West Indies, 1715 and focuses on the threat the Pirates of the New Providence Island posed to maritime trade in the religion. Things are complicated further when Captain Flit (Toby Stephens) and his younger crew fight for the Island's survival. The series also depicted a number of real pirates including Anne Bonny, Charles Vane and Blackbeard. The series had 38 episodes over four seasons. Though the first season received mixed reviews the critical response generally was positive with many praising it for cutting down on the more sensationalized elements and instead investing in more meaty plots and character depth. The series got nominated for multiple Emmy's for its technical features, and won for its visual effects and sound editing.

# Burn Notice (2007-2013)
Burn Notice created by Matt Nix (who now must be on a lot of hit lists for creating The Gifted:eek:) was a long running espionage drama which ran for seven seasons on USA Network. The lead character Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) is a former spy whose cover was blown when on assignment in Nigria. Michael now living back in his hometown of Miami, Florida has had all his assets frozen and is under constant surveillance. Adding to his stresses Michael learns that someone from the Government wants him on Ice. He enlists old friend Sam Axe (great name!) played by cult legend Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead films) and ex-girlfriend Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar) to help him find out who exposed him and why. The series has been a critical favourite for its pulpy, and witty comedy. In 2011 USA aired a made for TV prequel movie Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe set two years before the series and about Sam's last days in the Navy Seals. It was directed by Donovan.

# Ashes to Ashes (2008-2010)

The BBC's follow-up series to the ambitious Sci-fi police drama Life on Mars. This time the drama shifted from the smoke filled gritty Manchester of the 1970's to the more flamboyant and diverse London of the 1980's. To give the story a more feminist perspective Jon Simm's Sam Tyler was replaced by Keeley Hawes as DCI Alex Drake who is shot in modern day London and transported back in time to the 1980's. Over the three series Drake adjusts to her surroundings, and tackles crime and social issues, while piecing together the mystery which she hopes will lead her to finding her way back to the present and her daughter. Much of the drama centered on Drake's fiery relationship with her superior Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister), the angst ridden gender confrontations and flirtations. Another intriguing relationship is the friendship between Drake and Shaz Granger (Montserrat Lombard) a younger less experienced Officer trying to make her way in a Profession still dominated by men with old fashioned attitudes. Like LOM Ashes deals with themes of police corruption and the politics of time. Colour and music play important roles, the impressive soundtrack includes the likes of Bowie, Supertramp and Roxy Music. After a rocky start the series went on to be popular with critics and fans alike, though the finale left some baffled. On avenge the series gained over 6 million viewers throughout its 3 years. It also put Hawes (then best known for miniseries Tipping the Velvet) on the road to stardom.

The Sarah Jane Adventures (2007-2011)
This Doctor Who spin-off was created by Who showrunner Russell T. Davies and starred Elizabeth Sladen as the title character, a young investigative journalist who has multiple adventures across space and time. The show was produced by BBC Wales and broadcast on the CBBC channel over five series with a total 53 episodes and one short. Originally said to be a series about a younger Doctor Who, instead the series became about the Doctor's assistant Sarah Jane Smith who appeared in the 1970's and is considered by many to be the best assistant. The supporting cast included Yasmin Paige, Tommy Knight and Pointless host Alexander Armstrong (in a voice role). It struck a chord with its teenage audience and won many Independent Television awards.

#Modern Family (2009-2019)
The long running mockumentary family sitcom has recently been commissioned for its 11th and final season to premiere later this year on the ABC network. The series follows the lives of Jay Pritchett and his extended family including his second wife, their son, Jay's stepson, their adult children and spouses all set in suburban Los Angeles. The series cast Ed O'Neill as Jay. O'Neill originally found fame in the 1980's/90's for his starring role as grumpy Al Bundy in the hit Fox sitcom Married... with Children (1987-1997). MF made names for many of its supporting cast including Sofia Vergara, Ty Burrell, Sarah Hyland and Ariel Winter. It has been one of the most high rated sitcoms of the last decade and is often praised for its diverse casting and characters.

# Greek (2007-2011)
ABC comedy-drama which ran for four seasons. The series follows students at Cyprus-Rhodes University who take part in the School's Greek system. The lead characters Rusty and Casey Cartwright endue events and relationships tied to the Greek system as well as interacting with non-Greek system characters. The leads were played by Jacob Zachar and Spencer Grammer (of Rick and Morty fame). The show was split into 6 chapters over the 4 seasons. Greek drawn modest ratings, but gained a bigger life online and a strong cult audience.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Black Sails should be higher!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It might help a little if you were to say what numbers these came in at. Just a suggestion or are they all #50?

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Their all 50. But thanks.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Still might be nice to have a number versus having the hasmark and just a name. But it's your list, you can list it whatever way you want.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Alright, might do that thanks.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Still might be nice to have a number versus having the hasmark and just a name. But it's your list, you can list it whatever way you want.
Or at least mention it in each post, like you did in the first. I was slightly confused as well.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Or at least mention it in each post, like you did in the first. I was slightly confused as well.
Alright will do thanks. One thing was that I could only get upload 3 pictures per post. Should have the next lot up tomorrow.

Spanky
Spanky
The other thing you could do is list the number of vote each got. Granted, when its a tie it would be the same, but still..

Mr Trick

Scooby
The next 8 shows are all tied at 49. I will post 4 today and the other 4 in the coming days. They all scored 16 points. These 4 all had a single vote.

49. Top Chef (2006-present)
A show which shows the HUNGER :p for food related contest shows. The USA created series which pits Chef's against each other in a range of challenges originally aired on the Bravo channel. Since those humble beginnings it has spawned into a international hit which has a number of spin-off's including Top Chef Masters, Top Chef: Just Desserts and Top Chef Junior (with teens competing).

- The Last Leg (2012-present)
Another Channel 4 topical comedy hit. It originally aired following the channel's coverage of the 2012 Paralympics. Hosted by Australian comedian Adam Hills, and co-host Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker. It featured a mix of comedy and highlights/discussion of the day's Paralympics events. Following positive ratings the show became a regular series which would comment on the current affairs (with guests). The last series was its 16th.

- The Newsroom (2012-2014)

Aaron Sorkin's HBO produced series about the inner workings and politics of a liberal News broadcaster. Like all Sorkin TV dramas it has a fantastic ensemble cast including Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel and Sam Waterston. Also music by award winning composer Thomas Newman. Daniels plays gruff news anchor Will McAvoy who along with his News team attempts to put together a news show in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles. It ran for 3 seasons and received mix reviews. But here's what my good friend @HowiMetdaSlayer has to say, "another Sorkin gem. Full of witty fast paced dialogue with complex & sometimes combative characters set in a cable TV newsroom. Brilliantly weaving recent (at the time) news events with fictional story lines to drive the narrative." It also had the sense of classic screwball comedy found in much of Sorkin's work.

The Blacklist (2013-present)
Riffing off much of the magic created in Silence of the Lambs this slick NBC crime thriller (created by Jon Bokenkamp) allows James Spader to flex his muscles as the charismatic, but sinister Raymond "Red" Reddington a former U.S. Navy seal turned hardened criminal. At the start of the series Reddington turns himself into the FBI, but asks for immunity from prosecution in exchange for a list of of the most dangerous criminals he has compiled over many years. Reddington insists he will only work with rookie FBI profiler Elizabeth Keen (Megan Boone). The series has been a critical and commercial hit. It has recently been renewed for its 7th season.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
49! Seriously? Think this was in my top 5! πŸ˜’

Hunga Munga

Potential
Been meaning to try 'The Newsroom' . I watched a bit of Sports Night recently and fancied checking out the other Sorkin shows .

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
All of them are excellent. The only reason I didn't put all 4 in my top 20, was I feel that it would be overkill.
Top Bottom