• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone fancy taking part in a Top 50 TV shows poll?

Mr Trick

Scooby
@HowiMetdaSlayer I don't think this one is that surprising. The Newsroom has no where near the acclaim of a certain other Sorkin show;)

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
pfft - only mixed reviews were from alt right peeps 😒 Honestly if West Wing had come out ten years later, sadly, it would've been the same.

Mr Trick

Scooby
@HowiMetdaSlayer Not true. I've heard mixed reviews from more liberal media over here at least. Maybe that divide was more a factor in the states. I think the general feeling is it hit its stride in the second season.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Just going by what i've actually seen

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
4 shows that I liked initially. 2 of them have dipped but still worth a watch. 2 unwatchable now unfortunately. Interesting to see what else comes up.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Here's the rest of the 49's. The first couple got 1 vote and the other two got two votes (I think).

- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-2009)

One of the stranger TV spin-offs. Following on from the events of Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) this short lived Fox Sci-action series follows the lives of the iconic Sarah Connor and her son John. After originally finding a strong audience it lost much of it quickly for the second and last season. It received mostly negative reviews, but has some die hard fans that will fight tooth and nail over it. The series deserves credit for its casting at least. Awesome character actress Lena Headey (Game of Thrones, Fighting with my Family) was the perfect choice to play the tough, resilient and vulnerable Connor. Terminator super fan Thomas Dekker (Kaboom) fulfilled a dream playing the role of John. Firefly and Dollhouse fans would have enjoyed Summer Glau's appearance as Terminator Cameron/Allison Young. I wonder if will we see more of her later on this list?;) Brian Austin Green of Beverly Hills 90210 fame was one of the weirder bits of casting (I wonder if we will see more of him on the list?:D). It gets extra props from me for casting the Goddess Shirley Manson from the band Garbage as a shapeshifter😍 Since I've only seen one episode (in a class) I can't comment. But any fans feel free to let post about it and why you like it.

- Nip/Tuck (2003-2010)

The first Ryan Murphy appearance on the list. This long running satirical medical drama was what put The Glee and American Horror Story writer/producer on the map. It followed the personal and professional lives of Dr. Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Charmed's Julian McMahon) founders of an advanced by controversial plastic surgery center. Each episode focused on a different operation/patient and the plots around the main characters. A solid supporting cast included Joely Richardson and Valerie Cruz. The series which ran for 100 episodes (over 6 seasons), was nominated for multiple awards and picked up one Emmy and one Golden Globe win. Considering it ran on the smaller FX network it did respectable ratings (peaking at around 3.9 million viewers, but come the final season it had a big drop).

-Vikings (2013-2019)
Another successful historical drama this time produced for the History Channel. Vikings was inspired by the tales of Ragnar Lothbrok one of the best known Norse heroes who terrorized both England and France. As portrayed in the series Lothbrok originally a farmer rises to fame after a raid on England, leading him to become a Scandinavian King with the support of his family and fellow warriors. Showrunner Michael Hirst had a solid track record for this sort of thing having directed the movies Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age (1998, 2007), and produced another historical TV drama series The Tudors. The series was filmed in locations in both Ireland and Canada. It was announced in January this year that the 20 episode sixth season (originally ordered in September 2017) would be the last.

- Bones (2005-2017)

Having established himself as the broody vampire with a soul on Angel, David Boreanaz decided it was time for a change of direction. And that was as Agent Seeley Booth opposite Emily Deschanel's Dr. Temperance"Bones" Brennan in Fox's hit crime precedential which remarkably ran for 246 episodes over 12 seasons. The pair investigate a different case each episode based on a FBI file focusing on human remains. Outside of the case of the week are subplots involving the personal lives of the leads which tend to have a quirky, screwball feel to them. The series is loosely based on the life and novels of forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs who produced the show. Deschanel's title character is based on the protagonist of Reich's novels. At its peak Bones pulled in $12 million plus viewers with the final season dropping as low as $3 million. Now one of the big mainstream TV stars Boreanaz can currently be seen in Seal Team.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Terminator was underrated. Got much better in S2 too
Spanky
Spanky
I knew Bones was popular but how in the hell did it make 12 million dollars?!?
Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Terminator <3

Mr Trick

Scooby
Stacked at number 48 we have 10 shows! These entries got between 1 & 2 votes each. Here are the first 3.

48. Not Going Out (2006-present)
The first British sitcom on the list. Comedian Lee Mack's vehicle has proven legs after a rocky start. It was originally cancelled following the third series, but after strong DVD sales was revived and to date has had 9 series, plus regular Christmas specials. Mack who co-created the series with Andrew Collins (both have writing credits too), stars as a fictional version of himself a layabout in his late 30's living as a lodger in a London flat. The series follows the character's struggles to hold down jobs and relationships. A very British concept but with a Seinfeld style twist. Sally Bretton makes for a feisty love interest, and there have been regular appearances for the likes of Hugh Dennis and Miranda Hart.

- Smallville (2001-2011)
The second Superman spin-off live action series following Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993-1997). This time its a prequel series which follows a young Clark Kent and his roots growing up in the fictional Kansas town of the title as he discovers his super powers. It ran on the WB and later CW (following the merger between the WB and UPN). Tom Welling starred as the young Kent/Superman, with Kristin Kreuk appearing as Lana Lang, the girl next door love interest. Michael Rosenbaum starred as villain Lex Luthor. The most high profile of the supporting cast was probably Annette O'Toole as Martha Kent. Big screen Superman Christopher Reeve was said to be a fan and appeared in a couple of episodes. Aimed at a teen audience along with Dawson's Creek, Smallville became the staple for CW style teen shows at the time (though DC had more of a post-modern feel).

- 30 Rock (2006-2013)

Following her success as writer/star of hit teen movie Mean Girls (2004), and on SNL comic actress Tina Fey really made a splash with this long running satirical sitcom which pulls back the curtain back on the day to day running and politics of a weekly sketch show broadcast on NBC. Fey created the show and stars as Liz Lemon liberal showrunner and headwriter (of the Girlie Show, later TGS with Tracy Jordan). In the pilot, cynical Conservative Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) replaces Lemon's old boss (who Donaghy claims during his dramatic door kicking entrance is dead!:D), leading to a series of creative clashes between Lemon and Donaghy over the direction of the show and Liz's handling of the talent. Things get even more tense when Donaghy pressures Lemon into hiring eccentric movie star Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) who soon rubs up against the regular star of the show the insecure Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski, Ally McBeal, she also played the babysitter in Fatal Attraction🆒). Jordan is a madcap twist on Eddie Murphy's multiple comic personas, who despite being popular with the viewers causes no end of PR disasters for the network.

As Lemon Fey is a natural, typing into the energy of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Elaine (Seinfeld) and Shelly Long's Diane in Cheers, Fey is able to make Lemon a mixture of witty nerd, ambitious career woman, and insecure feminist, who just happens to be very attractive. Lemon has proven a leading light for female comics for the new era. Fey has great chemistry with Baldwin (whose career was revived by his sharp appearances in the show). Not only do they have fire cracker banter, but they slowly build a touching father-daughter type of bond. Krakowski is game as Maroney and has great chemistry with both Morgan and Jack McBreayer as the naive, but lovable NBC page Kenneth. She also comes alive during some of the off-beat pop numbers including the classic Muffin Top:p (the music composed by Fey's husband Jeff Richmond is like a character in itself). The show proved a perfect send up of conservative, big business American, Jack's relationship with Liberal news reporter Celeste "C. C." Cunningham (Edie Falco) in the second season proved a good example of comedy playing with these themes. Falco was one of an impressive list of guest stars, Jack's other love interests alone included Isabella Rossellini (as Jack's ex-wife), Emily Mortimer and Julianne Moore. The guest stars piled up in S3 and 4 (with some thinking all the celebrity cameos were becoming a bit distracting), with Jennifer Aniston (playing against type as a psycho college friend of Liz's), Steve Martin and brilliantly Oprah Winfrey sending up her image in Believe in the Stars. Reunion from the same season is a personal favourite of mine, but the first 3 seasons are pretty much untouchable. With a similar single camera, dramatic style to that of the Office, the live audience episodes in S5 and 6 divided fans. 30 Rock won multiple awards and steady ratings often screening the same night as the Office in the states.

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
- Once & Again (1999-2002)

A cult and influential coming of age drama from writer/producer team Marshall Herskovvitz and Edward Zwick who also worked together on the soap Thirtysomething (1987-1991) (which IMO was a bit crap). The pair also worked as producers on the Claire Danes starring teen breakout drama My So-Called Life (1994-95) (which IMO was great). This ABC series which ran for 3 seasons depicts the family of a single Mother Elizabeth "Lily" Manning (Sela Ward) and her romance with single father Rick (Billy Campbell). Marin Hinkle plays Lily's younger sister and Evan Rachel Wood (The Wrestler) appears in an early role as Rick's daughter Jessie. Meredith Deane, Todd Field and Steven Weber also star.

Despite only lasting 3 seasons (63 episodes), this hard to find drama won critical praise and awards. One big fan is @HowiMetdaSlayer who has this to say, "where do I even begin? This show is criminally unknown. From the writers/creators of My So Called Life. With an incredible cast. Quite possibly the best family series (yes I'm looking at you Parenthood & This Is Us) that actually wasn't a 'family show'. Featuring (in my opinion) the best coming of age LGBT story line ever put to film".

- Desperate Housewives (2004-2012)

Surprisingly low appearance for this highly stylised soap, murder mystery following the lives of the socialites of Wisteria Lane. The housewives of the title are Susan Mayer (Teri Hatcher), Lynette Scavo (Felicity Huffman), Bree Van de Kamp (Marica Cross, Kimberly in another hit soap Melrose Place), and Gabrielle Solis (Eva Longoria). The sheen of the visuals, twisty plot elements and the arch black comedy takes much of its notes from the likes of Twin Peaks and The Stepford Wives (1975, funnily the remake was released the same year as the first season of DH). Adding to the sense of surreal and darkness is that neighbour Mary Alice Young (Brenda Strong) commits suicide during the pilot and narrates the drama from that point on (making the odd appearance in flashbacks). Other dark revelations include a pedophilia plot and murder mysteries. Like its influences Desperate Housewives is showing the dark secrets lurking beneath a all most too perfect surface, but with a cheeky post-modern twist. The first season was the biggest hit of the 2004-05 television season with the pilot gaining an impressive 21.3 million viewing figures making it the highest rated ABC pilot since comedy Spin City in 1996. The show peaked at close to 30 million viewers at its height and the leads became pop culture icons. It won a numble of awards too.

I will finish off the 48's later.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
thanks for the shout out Tricky! Kinda surprised that this made the cut 😳
Evil Seal
Evil Seal
now, I'm definitely gonna check out Once & Again soon

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sorry for the delay. Here's the rest of the 48's!

- Death Note (2015)

A one off series directed by Ryuichi Inomata based on the manga comic books of the same title written by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. The fantasy teenage story is about awkward college student Light Yagami (Masataka Kubota) who discovers a mysterious black note book which can kill whose ever name is contained within the pages. Intrigued by its God like powers Yagami uses it to kill whoever he deems unworthy of life. The series found its feet with the target audience and was much better received than Netflix's 2017 Adam Wingard directed movie version.

-The Last Kingdom (2015-present)
Historical series which originally was a BBC America production (screening on BBC2 in the UK), Netflix took over production for the third series and will also produce the fourth. The series based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories is filmed in Hungary in 9th Century AD with England divided into seven separate kingdoms the Anglo-Saxon lands are gradually attacked and ruled by Viking Danes in many areas.

-Deadwood (2004-2006)

A meaty and stylish HBO Western series which has only gained in reputation since it first aired. Created, produced, and largely written by David Milch for 3 seasons, Timothy Olyphant (the nutty film studies geek from Scream 2;)) and popular British character actor Ian McShane play the real life Deadwood residents Seth Bullock and Al Swearengen. The series starts in the 1870s and charts Deadwood (South Dakota) growth from camp to town. The series works in multiple real life historical figures including Calamity Jane and Wyatt Earp. The depth of the ensemble cast is quite something too with the likes of Brad Dourif, Molly Parker, John Hawkes, W. Earl Brown and Keith Carradine all involved. Another HBO success story. Deadwood was praised for its writing and for McShane's stand out performance. It won 8 Emmy Awards and was voted #8 on TV Guide's 60 Shows that Were Cancelled Too Soon (2013). There is a HBO produced TV Movie set for May 2019 to wrap up the saga. Who knows it may rank higher if I re-run this poll;)

- Felicity (1998-2002)

A early appearance for the versatility and compelling Keri Russell (who I first saw in the black comedy horror, Dead Man's Curve) (now better known for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and The Americans). The coming of age series was created by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves (who would later re-team with Russell for the Apes movie). Russell plays Felicity Porter. The series starts with Porter's Graduation ceremony. When Ben (who Felicity has a crush on) signs her year book with a comment suggesting he wished he'd gotten to know her better, Porter changes her University plans deciding instead to follow Ben in attending the University of New York. The four seasons follow Felicity's ups and downs in college life and the fallout from her decision. The drama co-starred Scott Speedman, Amy Jo Johnson and Scott Foley (one hell of an indie film cast:p). In 2010 Entertainment Weekly named Felicity Porter one of its top 100 TV Characters of all time. I have vague memories of this show. So please let me know was it any good? On and its narrated by Janeane Garofalo so I'm probably in just for that!:D

- Heartbreak High (1994-1999)
This Australian High School show ran for seven seasons (210 episodes) over 6 years. It was a spin-off of the 1993 movie The Heartbreak Kid:D Alex Dimitriades and Claudia Karvan returned for the show based on the students of the Fictional High School Hartley High (it became Hartley Heights from season 5). The series set in Sydney represented a multicultural High School experience and was sad to be more tough and gritty than most shows of its irk from this era. The later series shifted from the school setting to the students' home and hangout the Shark Pool. It ran on Network Ten and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation at home. ABC and BBC picked it up for 6 seasons but axed it before the final season. Check out this very 90's theme!

Puppet
Puppet
Felicity <3
Taake
Taake
Is that a picture of Felicity with her short hair? Shame! Shame! :P
RachM
RachM
Omg, Heartbreak High! That's a blast from the past <3

Mr Trick

Scooby
47. A Town Called Eureka (Aka Eureka)(2006-2012)
A sleeper hit for Universal and Syfy (where it aired in Europe). For 5 seasons this science fiction series focused on the fictional town of Eureka and the tech company Global Dynamics (which most of the residents work for). There one of the most advanced tech companies. Each episode there would be a failed experiment which would be investigated by town Sheriff Jack Carter (Colin Ferguson). The plot also featured personal subplots involving the town folk. It held steady ratings and was nominated for Emmy and Leo Awards.

- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005-present)
Alongside The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1952-1966) this quirky indie ensemble comedy is now the longest running live action sitcom in history. Now up to 13 seasons (with a 14th to come), it was created, executive produced and mostly written by Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton and Charlie Day. McElhenney, Howerton and Day all star in the series alongside Kaltlin Olson and Hollywood legend Danny Devito as "The Gang" a self-obsessed group of friends who run Irish Paddy's bar in South Philadelphia. The extremely low budget pilot was said to have cost around $500dollars and shot on a handheld digital camera. The show has slowly grown into a modern cult hit from there. Most of it is available on Netflix in the UK.

- Primeval (2007-2010)
British team Adrian Hodges and Tim Haines follow up to their Documentary series Walking With... This time a science fiction drama series which originally aired on ITV, it was broadcast on BBC America in the States. Primeval follows a team of scientists tasked with investigating the appearance of temporal anomalies across the United through which prehistoric and futuristic creatures enter the present, as well as trying to stop the end of the world. It was most successful in its first two series and ran for five.

- Peep Show (2003-2015)

The longest running sitcom in Channel 4's history. The series only ever achieved modest reviews, but was a cult favourite with viewers and a hit with the critics. Teaming long term comedy friends David Mitchell and Robert Webb, as mismatched flatmates Mark Corrigan and Jeremy "Jez" Usborne who share a flat in Croydon, London. Mark is a nervous, but ambitious career man who desperately tries to advance his career and for much of the show attempts to make his on-off relationship with work colleague Sophie (Olivia Colman, then un-known now an Oscar winner), and later pursues the quirky girl next door nerd Dobby (Isy Suttie) (for she is the one😍). Jeremy is the idealistic but shallow womanizer who dreams of being a rock star. Jeremy has his own misadventures with women including Mark's sister, next door neighbour Toni (Elizabeth Marmur) and charming American free spirit Nancy (Rachel Blanchard). Much of the fun comes from the the flatmates trying to one up each other (including competing for women, Mark at one point takes a shining to Jez's long term love interest Big Suz). There are a whole host of entertaining supporting characters including Jez's junkie best friend Superhans (Matt King) and Mark's ruthlessly smooth boss Alan Johnson (Paterson Joseph). Advancing on the Office's comedy of embarrassment, Peep Show's POV style meant the viewer got the perspective of each characters (including during their more intimate moments) and their inner thoughts. Part of the skill of the writing is in making cringe moments so funny (you have to see to believe the duo eating a dead dog in S4:eek:). Plus its one of the best recent comedies for character growth.

- Northern Exposure (1990-1995)

Hit and critically acclaimed CBS series which feels like something of a throwback drama now. It centers on the eccentric residents of the fictional Alaska town of the title. The impressive cast includes Rob Morrow, Barry Corbin, John Cullum and Graham Greene. It won an impressive 27 Emmys from a total of 57 nominations. Here's @HowiMetdaSlayer with more, "set 'on the cusp of the Alaskan Riviera'. Which was appropriate since the setting is almost a character in an of itself. Featuring a great ensemble of eccentric characters. The talented writers somehow managed to find just the right balance of quirky comedy and drama that still sets the gold standard for the few shows that have even dared trying to mix the two. "

The Thick of It (2005-2012)

Another hit British niche comedy from sharp satirest Armando Iannucci which was successful in keeping up with current political events. Here's more from @Hunga Munga "Created by Armando Iannucci , the Thick of it is the ultimate British political satire . It centres around a government Ministry and the day to day political machinations of the office . Iannucci is a bit of a comedy genius and The Thick of It is arguably his first masterpiece .

They use handheld 'flyonthewall' camerawork and loads of improv to create a fresh real feel to the show .The core writing is also excellent. There is an insane amount of swearing and non-PC humour in the mix . Some of the humour is a bit culturebound and may not travel well on Netflix . Fortunately for the American viewer , 'The Thick of It' was the inspiration for 'Veep' , another fine show that has probably surpassed 'The Thick of It' for greatness.
One of the main features of the show was that it was a scarily believable depiction of the state of British politics at the time ." It was also the perfect platform for the future Doctor Peter Capaldi as savage spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker and probably the most entertaining swearing held on Television:D

These choices got between 1 and 2 votes.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Norhtern Exposure should (also) be higher!
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Yeay! Northern Exposure! How could I forget to mention that?!?
Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Problem with Northern Exposure is it's kinda erratic . At its best ; a masterpiece . At its worst; borderline unwatchable . I gave northern Exposure quite a few points but had to dock it a few too. :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
a multicultural High School experience and was sad to be more tough and gritty than most shows of its irk from this era.
Having been in school at the time I'd say it was a pretty typical aussie experience. Saw it for loan at the library the other day. Didn't expect it to make a list like this but it has potential to appeal to teens again now. I am looking forward to when the 90's is as highly celebrated as the 80's is right now. I am sure I have some genuine 90's clothes I could sell to some tiny teenager.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Having been in school at the time I'd say it was a pretty typical aussie experience. Saw it for loan at the library the other day. Didn't expect it to make a list like this but it has potential to appeal to teens again now. I am looking forward to when the 90's is as highly celebrated as the 80's is right now. I am sure I have some genuine 90's clothes I could sell to some tiny teenager.

When it comes to TV I'd say the 90's is far more celebrated than the 80's though I get your point that TV shows now are beginning to feel more and more 80s.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The next batch all came in at 46. There's a surprise newer show, plus one which I would have expected higher;) Most got 1-2 votes. And all scored 19 points. BTW because of the points system it doesn't follow that entries on the same points will have the same number of votes.

46. Young Sheldon (2017-present)
Because of the long running ratings success of The Big Bang Theory CBS and creative team Chuck Lorre and Steven Molaro were compelled to produce a spin-off comedy series focusing on the back story of probably the Big Bang's most popular character Sheldon Cooper. The first season starts with Cooper aged nine (played by Iain Armitage) growing up with his family in East Texas and his High School live. The supporting cast playing Sheldon's family include Zoe Perry, Lance Barber, Montana Jordan and Annie Potts (yes Janine in Ghostbusters!😍). The original Sheldon Jim Parsons narrates the series and is executive producer. The merit of prequels is always open for debate but at least two members decided Young Sheldon was worthy of this list.

- Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-1974)

The oldest show on the list so far (not for long;)). This surreal sketch show over 4 series provided the classic British comedic group with the platform to showcase their talents to a wider audience (it was broadcast on the BBC), and to ultimately carve their name in the film world. Having met at various stages at University the Python members (John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin) originally cut their teeth performing comedies on stage. Much of the humour would be rebelling against British High Society and political correctness, for example Gilliam's Knight with Raw Chicken character who would hit characters over the head when they said something silly. Fun was also poked at the BBC itself through Cleese's BBC Continuity announcer (in the dinner jacket) (originally played Idle) who would sit at a desk in various locations like a Forrest or a Beach and Segway into sketches with his "And now for something Completely Different line". The Flying Circus part of the title was also a reference to the havoc the Python team were causing at the BBC. There was also fun taken out of such great literary characters as Robinson Crusoe. Gilliam's opening animated credits still hold up today and was a clear sign at just what a talented film maker he would become. The series is now up on Netflix. I highly recommend the 2009 six part documentary Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyers Cut) which tells the whole 40 year tale of the group.

- Lucifer (2016-present)
Tom Kapinos of Californication fame dipped his toe into the urban fantasy genre with this FOX produced adaptation of Neil Gaiman, Sam Keith and Mike Dringenberg's comic book series The Sandman (where the Lucifer character first appeared). The series combines stylish fantasy with the cop procedural as Lucifer Morningstar (Tom Ellis) abandons the Gates of hell, runs his nightclub and assistants the LAPD. The supporting cast includes Lauren German and Buffy's D.B. Woodside. The casting of Tom Ellis in the title role allows him to subvert his pretty boy and clean cut image (he was probably best known for British sitcom Miranda). The series divides fans and critics alike. It was dropped by Fox following season 3, but has been picked up by Netflix for a 4th season set for May.

- The OA (2016-present)
Often dubbed the art house Stranger Things, this ambitious Science fiction series makes an impressive debut on this list. Another sleeper hit for streaming giant Netflix. It was created and produced by lead actress Brit Marling and director Zal Batmanglij (who worked together on 2013 indie feature The East). Marling stars as Prairie Johnson a young woman who resurfaces having been missing for seven years. Now going by the name the OA ("Original Angel"), she can now see despite being blind at the time of her disappearance. Instead of informing the FBI and Johnson's adoptive parents of what happened, the OA instead assembles a team of five locals (four high school students and one teacher) whom she explains the history and request help for a new mission. The strong supporting cast includes, Phyllis Smith (the US Office), Patrick Gibson, Jason Isaac and singer Sharon Van Etten. The mind bending tone, nonlinear structure, slow pacing and quirky surrealism has meant that some have been baffled, whereas others see the OA as pure genius! Marling is developing a feminist following because of her alternative portrayal of femininity and for speaking honestly about a troubled aspect of her personal live. A third and perhaps final season is expected in the future, but don't expect any easy answers from this show;)

- Star Trek: The Original Series (1966-1969)

From a modern Sci-Fi cult show to perhaps the biggest hitter of the genre (on TV anyway). The first appearance of a Star Trek show on the list (again I'm surprised its not higher, much higher) comes in the form of Gene Roddenberry's original groundbreaking space adventure which has led to the diverse legacy of shows, spin-offs and movies which still make a mark on popular culture over fifty years later. Before Star Wars over a decade later, Captain Kirk (the charismatic and cheeky William Shatner), Commander Spock (Leonard Nimoy's razor sharp but bemused half-human/half-vulcan science officer), Lieutenant Commander Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy (the world weary DeForest Kelley), Communications officer Uhura (Nichelle Nichols), Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (and dat accent!:p), George Takei's helmsman Lieutenant Sulu and Walter Koenig's Russian born Navigator Pavel Chekov (debuting in S2) were the original band of merry space adventurers.

Introduced in a back drop of Science fiction shows following the largely masculine, white and male serials of the era, Star Trek simply through its diverse characters and alternative casting broke with those traditions. The fact that the show's mission statement was to "boldly go where no man has gone before" and to explore strange planets and new civilizations seemed a nod to the audience that Roddenberry's series was expanding the science fiction/space adventure map. Sure Kirk was a smooth talking, gun-hoe womanizer, but he was played with enough self-duplication by Shatner (who cut his teeth on Roger Corman B-movies) to endear the character to the viewer. It was the warm, odd-couple banter between him and Nimoy's Spock which made up much of the emotional heart of the series and spin-off films. Out of it came one of the great pop culture pairings. Though most of the episodes were standalone (typical of the era) the series experimented with structure and fresh concepts including time travel episodes, gender swapping and spacial themed episodes like the gangster one. It was also ground breaking with sexual taboos including the first inner racial kiss on television (between Kirk and Uhura). Its worth pointing out that one of the early episodes introduced one of the Universes best villains Khan (Ricardo Montalban) who would return for the second film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (a fan favourite). Despite originally attracting low ratings on CBS meaning it was cancelled after series 3, Star Trek TOS later grew a strong cult following and built strong ratings on broadcast syndication in the 1970s. It has remained a regular fixture on re-runs to this day. This gained multiple votes.

- Peaky Blinders (2013-present)
The British Sopranos:p This historical crime drama from Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things, Locke) has not only proved a favourite with British audiences on the BBC but has also traveled well becoming a word of mouth hit. Its got a meaty big screen cast including Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby (the head of the family), Sam Neill and Tom Hardy. Here's @Hunga Munga with more, "
The UK has been lagging behind the US and other English speaking television nations for some time . One thing we still do very well though , is the period drama .

Peaky Blinders takes this genteel genre and twists it all up into a brand new shape . It focuses on a semi-fictional Birmingham street gang and their illegal betting ring just after World War 1 . The core family are 'didicoy' mixed-race settled gypsies and many of the gang members are battle hardened veterans of the trenches .

The show is hauntingly beautiful , the cinematography is ambitious and impressive. It can find aching beauty in ugliness . There's plenty of license taken with story but it sure looks the part , using an actual museum for many of the settings . Visually ,it is a treat .

For me , one of the things that elevate this show to greatness is the focus on gypsies, travelling people and the industrial urban poor . These folk are still a big part of UK culture and they are still often overlooked and underrepresented . Millions of settled people don't even know they have travelling 'roots' . Sadly the show wasn't as accurate as it should have been depicting romani language but that's a small(ish) criticism .

If you aint seen this show watch it now , by Order of the Peaky fooking Blinders ! :D "

Top marks for creative use of swearing too:D

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yay! The OA! I am glad it made the list :D Good description too, its so hard to describe. I read there is a 5 season plan but that is dependant on viewers.

Also surprised Star Trek wasn't higher.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I don't remember if I'm one of the two that put Young Sheldon on the list, don't think so, but I have enjoyed the show myself. However, it's a crime to see Python so 'low' on the list :(

Hunga Munga

Potential
I'm not that surprised about Monty Python myself . it hasn't aged that well .

There's no doubting the seminal place Monty Python deserves in the British Comedy Hall of Fame . This was groundbreaking stuff for us and the influence lives on . It was both intelligent and dumb at the same time ...a heady mix for the po-faced British television of the time .

I ve been having a look at 48 Felicity . So far, it's a simple looking show , evocative of early Buffy lookswize . It's all very poignant and reflective , packed with unrequited passion and angst . I'm kinda enjoying it but the pacing is killing me , I m feeling the need for a bit more action in the story . If I have to wait til season 3 for Felicity to get properly laid I'll probably get bored ,,,,,,but it is an interesting piece of work .

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Monty Python, not aged well?

Oh, I see, of course. We're obviously talking about two different shows with the same name. You go about your business now, sorry for the mistake.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The Monty Python thing could just be a age thing, like maybe many of the voters might not have seen it.

Felicity looks a pretty typical coming of age 90's show. But I would like to give it a watch because I really like the lead.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Felicity is not without genuine merit . The framing and camerawork is pretty nice , the acting is decent . I watched a bunch yesterday and found it quite compelling . It is pretty 'ponderous' in the pacing though ....and Felicity comes across as a bit of a stalker to my 2019 sensibilities ...as do other characters .

I dunno if I will watch the full 4 seasons but I am sure glad a couple of members voted for it . I was totes unaware of Felicity and it's a nice bit of context for a fan of BTVS and Gilmore Girls .:)

Hopefully Monty Python will live forever in their movies .

Last edited:
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I did get a bit of a stalker vibe myself just by the set up! I'll take a look at some point anyway.
Evil Seal
Evil Seal
I think Crazy Ex-Girlfriend brilliantly deconstructs the stalker-ish tendencies in some tv shows and films

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Felicity is not without genuine merit . The framing and camerawork is pretty nice , the acting is decent . I watched a bunch yesterday and found it quite compelling . It is pretty 'ponderous' in the pacing though ....and Felicity comes across as a bit of a stalker to my 2019 sensibilities ...as do other characters .
Lol, I remember hating the show Felicity because she came across as stalkerish to me then. Still watched parts of it though, but never warmed to Felicity herself.

Octavia
Octavia
Yeah I wasn't a fan either
Top Bottom