• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone fancy taking part in a Top 50 TV shows poll?

Mr Trick

Scooby
3 shows at number 45 each got 20 points.

45. Friday Night Lights (2006-2011)
Originally coming from a 1990 novel, followed by a 2004 film, FNL was a minor hit. Developed by actor turn director Peter Berg (The Last Seduction). The series featured some heavy weight producers including Brian Grazer (long time producing buddy of Ron Howard) and Roswell creator Jason Katims. The series set in the small fictional Texas town of Dillon starred Kyle Chandler as Eric Taylor an American football coach as well as his family, Tami, Julie and Grace. The was said to tackle such contemporary American issues as family values, school funding, drugs, racism, abortion and lack of economic opportunities. It also starred Connie Britton, Jesse Plemons (Fargo S2) and Michael B. Jordan in an early role. My So Called Life and West Wing composer W.G. Snuffy Walden produced the music. The show is known for its gritty realism, and strong cast.

- Fringe (2008-2011)

The second J.J. Abrams show to feature on the list and one of his most loved. Like a different twist on the X-Files format, Fringe follows a sub-branch of the FBI, Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson) and Walter Bishop (John Noble) as the Fringe of the title they investigate a series of unexplained, supernatural mysteries tied to a parallel universe. Many of the early episodes were case of the week but over time the writers developed arc style plots. Some of the guess stars included Jared Harris and Spock himself Leonard Nimoy. Fringe has also been compared to the likes of The Twilight Zone and Ken Russell's trippy 1980's Sci-Fi film Altered States. The show built up a strong cult following over time and has produced spin-off novels and video games. Peter Bradley of the Mild Fuzz youtube Network had Fringe as his number 4 favourite TV show ever (in 2006) and said, "The season 5 finale of Fringe is maybe the most satisfying season finale ever." Bradley was also impressed with the show's twists, how much it improved after season 1, and its long term planning. Adding, "If you love Science Fiction. Really well written science fiction with strong characters and brilliant pay-offs then Fringe is the show for you."

- NCIS (2003-Present)

Now on its 16th season (its the 2nd longest running live action scripted TV drama). The series features a group of characters first introduced in the show JAG leading to this spin-off about a group of Naval Criminal Investigative special agents based in Washington DC who investigation a different case each episode. Known for its bright and snazzy shots, high end production values, and light, toque in cheek humour, the series features a strong ensemble cast including the engaging Mark Harmon, Sasha Alexander, Michael Weatherly (Dark Angel, Bull) the adorable Jennifer Esposito and Lauren Holly. The series has produced spin-offs including NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I never finished Fringe, not because I didn't like it, but more cos I couldn't access it and then forgot about it. Maybe I'll hunt it down in the future. It was good enough for me to want to buy.

Taake
Taake
Haha, same here! Just came to say this
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Its on my list to see too.

Kratos

Potential
Glad to see Star Trek: TOS and Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles are on the list.

I first watched SCC a few years ago and remember liking it a lot, but don’t remember much about the characters or stories. Plan to rewatch it soon.

Only started watching TOS recently, but I’m liking it also. One of the best 60s dramas along with The Fugitive.

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
44. The O.C. (2003-2007)

Created by Josh Schwartz for Fox Network. The OC of the title is short for Orange County, the area of California where the series is set. A more jazzed up and sexy version of Dawson's Creek. This soap/drama starts with troubled teen Ryan Atwood (Benjamin McKenzie) from a poor background who is brought into a more privileged community and raised by public defender Sandy Cohen (Peter Gallagher, seems perfect casting to me), and his family, wife Kirsten (Kelly Rowan), and their awkward nerdy son Seth (Adam Brody). Mischa Barton made a early appearance as Marissa Cooper a character who has issues with drink and drugs throughout the first 3 seasons. I know very little about the O.C. Fans speak up now! :) It scored 21 points and got two votes BTW.

There are some big hitters coming up too :D

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
and Grace.
Gracie! or Gracie Bell

a different twist on the X-Files format,
Fringe was the X-Files. Literally. The FBI went away from the X designation and labeled them fringe cases. Also, fun fact, of course it was set in the X-Files universe as it was a continuation of that division, but it was also set in the Twin Peaks universe as Walter and Dr. Jacoby were friends and/or former colleagues. So, X-Files, Twin Peaks and Fringe are all in the same world. That would be an awesome crossover.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Thanks can't comment too much as I've never seen Fringe.

Mr Trick

Scooby
These shows got 22 points and between 2 & 3 votes each. And the list just gets more diverse!

43. Once Upon a Time (2011-2018)

High concept fantasy series which did respectable ratings for seven seasons on the ABC Network. The series set in the fictitious towns of Storybrooke, Maine and Hyperion Heights in Washington (for the final series) was created by Lost and Tron: Legacy writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. The novelty of the series was how it mixed the human stories with that of classic Disney and fairy tale characters and pop culture, including the likes of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), the Huntsman (Jamie Dornan), Rumpelstiltskin (the great Robert Carlyle), Pinocchio (Eion Bailey) and Belle (Lost's Emilie de Ravin). The casting and production values certainly a big part of the show's appeal.

Mostly it received positive critical reviews with many liking the show's ambition. USA Today's Robert Blanco said "There's Nothing else on the air quite like it". It also got strong praise from feminist critics with Genie Leslie describing lead character Emma as "Badass", "well rounded" "feminine, but not girly".

- Farscape (1999-2003)

A cult Science fiction space adventure series with a rocky production history but a group of loyal and passionate fans. Farscape was a US-Australian indie co-production originally produced for the Nine Network. Jim "The Muppets" Henson's production company along with Hallmark Entertainment produced it. The series follows a group of diverse characters attempting to escape a corrupt militaristic organization known as "The Peacekeepers". The protagonists live inside a bio-mechanical ship know as "Moya", which is a living entity. In the pilot episode they are joined by Astronaut John Crichton (Ben Browder) who flies into a wormhole near earth during an experimental space flight. Originally planned for five seasons, Farscape was abruptly cancelled after the 4th and left on a cliffhanger (and don't think it'll be the last time you hear that on this list o_O). Brian Henson later got hold of the rights and produced a three hour miniseries Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars (which Henson directed) to wrap up the story. In 2007 was talk of a webseries by the creator, but production has stalled and to this day it is yet to happen. Though in 2008 there was a comic book miniseries which retained continuity with the TV series plus the planned webseries. There was also talk of a Farscape movie in 2014.

The series received some indie award nominations and The Peacekeeper Wars got a Emmy Nom for Best Visual Effects. TV Guide twice ranked Farscape 4th in its list of the top cult shows ever (in 2004 and 2007). Entertainment Weekly listed it 22nd in its 25 Best Cult Shows of the Last 25 Years calling it, "One of the trippiest space sagas ever". Empireonline ranked the show #45 in its "50 greatest TV shows of all time" in 2013. Looks like Empire were a couple of places too low:p

- The Handmaid's Tale (2017-present)

The first hit of note for Hulu Entertainment. The Handmaid's Tale took the world by storm in 2017 becoming the most unexpected pop culture phenomena. As well as a feminist statement, it became a fashion trend and introduced Canadian author Margaret Atwood to a who new generation. The show gave a new relevance to Atwood's 1985 novel, with the first season landing just on the heels of Donald Trump's presidential victory with the world finally seeming to go mado_O

Set in the dystopian futurist city of Gilead. The drama picks up after a second American Civil War where a fascist society imprisons fertile women known as "Handmaids" into child-bearing servitude, with extreme punishment should a Handmaid disregard a order or attempt to rebel. By Gilead Law women are prevented the right to earn money, work, own property or read. Elisabeth Moss plays the lead character June Osborne/Offred captured and forced into the Handmaid life when attempting to flee to Canada with her husband Luke and daughter Hannah. June is assigned as Handmaid to Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph "Shakespeare in Love" Fiennes) and his wife Serena Joy (Chuck's Yvonne Strahovski who is a revelation in the role). Offred narrates the series and we flash back and fourth between the present and the past. Much of the drama during season 2 centered on June attempting to escape and find her family. Throughout the drama has a intense atmosphere, with psychological horror and some graphic scenes. It is slow paced, but with subtle direction, a surreal tone and the odd touch of black humour. Most importantly it has complex issues, feminist characters and wonderful acting. Moss who had already laid down a marker in The West Wing and Mad Men confirmed her place as one of this generation's best actresses with a note perfect lead performance. She balances so much delivering a powerhouse turn full of emotional depth, wit and rage. She skillfully plays the two extremes of June and everything in-between. Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia is a chilling presence and now can be seen playing scary women regular in horror movies. As well as Strahovski's complex and powerful turn, another surprise is Alexias Bledel Handmaid Emily/OfGlen (who gets more attention in season 2). Gilmore Girls fans will be taken aback to learn there is a whole other side to sweet Rory Gilmore. New comer Madeline Brewer (fantastic in Netflix horror Cam) also leaves an impression. The first season was one of the most highly rated shows of 2017 (a close second to Twin Peaks: The Return IMO), and won eight Primetime Emmys (from 13 nominations) including Outstanding Drama Series and Moss deservedly winning best actress. Season two which expanded on the universe and slowly moved towards a rebellion had its critics. Some felt the storytelling wasn't as consistent and that some of torture was being dragged out just for the sake of drama. To be fair the first season set such a high bar it would be nearly impossible to match. Season two was still very good IMO. The finale did divide people. Season 3 will be with us in the next few weeks. It seems like June's final mission could be a good way to conclude the series.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Must give Farscape a full rewatch . I watched a load as it aired and enjoyed it more than most TV sci-fi, but never fell in love at the time .

Personally I struggled to get through 'Once Upon a Time' , think I gave up during season 5. Despised the addition of random fictional characters and historical figures to the fairy tale verse , for me it ended up breaking my 'suspension of disbelief' utterly . Fortunately never watched a lot of Disney growing up ...or I would never have made it past season 1 :D .

Some really great episodes in the show though , some memorable performances , Robert Carlyle stole every scene in my opinion , Enjoyed the good times but was kinda relieved when I stopped watching it .

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Personally I struggled to get through 'Once Upon a Time' , think I gave up during season 5. I despised the addition of random fictional characters and historical figures to the fairy tale verse , for me it ended up breaking my 'suspension of disbelief' utterly . Fortunately I never watched a lot of Disney growing up ...or I would never have made it past season 1 :D .
Some really great episodes in the show though , some memorable performances , Robert Carlyle stole every scene in my opinion , Enjoyed the good times but was kinda relieved when I stopped watching it .
The show started off good by telling the "real" story of the fairytale characters, but as the show wore on, the quality seriously declined. The half season arcs were the first sign of trouble because they left so many questions unanswered, I could write a whole list for the Neverland arc (which seemed to be the last re-imagining of characters we know). Season 4 became the Frozen show and I think a problem was that, because they stopped re-imagining characters and just took the Disney characters directly and stuck them straight in, they began relying on the audience to have seen those movies. Captain Swan also took over but their biggest mistake was killing off Baelfire. Rumplestiltskin was then kind of left with no goal to work towards and the writers seemed incapable of writing happy scenes between him and Belle. Either they were arguing or were off-screen.

It's as if the writers just stopped caring. I used to hate Hook all throughout the series, but by Season 6 he could do a lot better than Emma Swan. I actually felt sorry for him, particularly when she went routing through his stuff, found the engagement ring and then forced him to propose. It was never revealed WHY she was going through his stuff.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Must give Farscape a full rewatch . I watched a load as it aired and enjoyed it more than most TV sci-fi, but never fell in love at the time .
I STILL haven't seen this, but I really want to. One day I will find it and watch it.

The show started off good by telling the "real" story of the fairytale characters, but as the show wore on, the quality seriously declined. The half season arcs were the first sign of trouble
Yeah I stopped watching it as it went on, cant remember much of it at all really, I just saw it when it came on free to air. I don't like the half season arcs - but I can see why they do them. How many episodes per season for this show? I prefer the build up to a finale but don't want to wait 24 episodes for it nowdays.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I STILL haven't seen this, but I really want to. One day I will find it and watch it.

Yeah I stopped watching it as it went on, cant remember much of it at all really, I just saw it when it came on free to air. I don't like the half season arcs - but I can see why they do them. How many episodes per season for this show? I prefer the build up to a finale but don't want to wait 24 episodes for it nowdays.
Farscape is easy enough to find on putlocker type streaming sites . Just had a little look and the quality was pretty good for such an old show .Personally for me , that is a last resort . I would prefer to purchase the DVDs but they are still crazy expensive , even secondhand in the UK . The other option is waiting for it to roll around on Netflix (EDIT funny enough I just checked and they have just started showing it on Amazon Prime . You should be eligible for a month free trial Hoppy ;) :D ).

From memory I think they were 22 eps /season in ' Once upon a Time' . I prefer the longer network runs myself.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I have Netflix but haven't seen it on there. I hope it does come on there cos that will make things so much easier! I am a bit tech retarded when it comes to other streaming. I don't know if Amazon Prime is in Oz, might be :)

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Amazon Prime is a doddle to get on ... and off of :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
A couple of big hitters at 42. One of them was close to having the right amount of points to match its title ;) Just one out!:D

42. 24 (2001-2014, & 2017)
Kiefer Sutherland of Lost Boys and Flatliners fame (more importantly the slime bag in Freeway:D) took his fame to a whole new level as Counter-Terrorist agent Jack Bauer in this twisty high concept espionage crime thriller. As Bauer Sutherland was able to retain his smooth leading man good looks whilst having a ruthless and cold streak. This match made in heaven role led to Sutherland winning a Golden Globe award in 2001 and being nominated five more times. Underrated co-star Dennis Haysbert got a Best Supporting actor nomination in 2002. As the title suggests each episode is set over a 24 hour period with Bauer having that amount of time to thwart the latest terrorist plot. The viewer would be updated of the clock throughout with Bauer typically running right to the end of the clock to save the day. The series had high end production values, a breakneck speed and cinematic sheen. The original 8 seasons produced close to 200 episodes (it became the longest running espionage TV show beating Mission Impossible and The Avengers). In 2017 Fox produced a spin-off 24: Legacy this time following war hero Eric Carter (Corey Hawkins). This spin-off occurred 3 years after TV movie 24: Live Another Day (what a shitty title:p). The Premiere episode airing following the Superbowl drew the lowest rating for a post-Superbowl program since Alias in 2003. Legacy was a bomb and got slammed by fans and critics alike. Fox cancelled it after one season. But there is talk of yet more 24 in the future..

- Sex and the City (1998-2004)
Melrose Place creator Darren Star struck gold again with this glossy romantic comedy following the aspirations of 4 women in their search for romantic and career happiness in New York city. Based on Candace Bushnell's 1997 novel. Sarah Jessica Parker made her name as lead character Carrie Bradshaw an ambitious 30-something journalist who narrates the series. In a classic sitcom convention much of the drama comes from Bradshaw's interactions with her miss-matched friends, the sassy Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall, who steals most the best lines!), the sweet and nervous Charlotte York (Kristin Davis, also seen in Melrose Place), and the level headed Miranda Hobbs (Cynthia Nixon). The key being that each has a distinct personality. Much of the energy comes the chemistry of the cast, the stories shared between the friends (often relating to unusual sexual experiences), and their advice and support. The early seasons had a satirical feel whilst later on the series was more about the glamour and romance. Cattrall an experienced character actress by then showed real charisma and comic timing as Samantha very much the Kramer/Phoebe of SATC. Nixon meanwhile brought a much needed girl next door likability as Miranda. The on-off romance between Carrie and Mr. Big (Chris Noth) was a big recurring storyline. Other supporting cast members included Kyle MacLachlan, Evan Handler, James Remar and Sonia Braga. For many women of a certain age SATC rang true. For some it was watchable entertainment, for others it shallow. It says something that 21 years following its debut its 42nd on this list. Lets not talk about the films though...o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix

Mr Trick

Scooby
All these scored 24 points.

41. Law & Order: SVL (1999-present)
Producer Dick Wolf's second addition to his Law & Order franchise. The SVL of the title stands for "Special Victims Unit" with many of the cases ripped from real life headlines (in the style of the original Law & Order) the series focused on sex crimes. Set in New York's 16th Precinct Police Department the main team investigating the crimes have included, Elliot Stabler (Christopher Meloni, Meloni left the show after season 12), Olivia Benson (Emmy winning Mariska Hargitay), John Munch (Richard Belzer), Donald Cragen (Dann Florek), Alexandra Cabot (Stephanie March), Odafin "Fin" Tutuola (Ice-T) and Amanda Rollins (Kelli Giddish). Florek's Captain was retired after S15 because the writers wanted to move with the times and push the younger female leads. Known for its hard hitting melodrama, SVL now 20 seasons in has proven that the low budget case of the week format still has legs.

- House (2004-2012)

Another hit for the Fox Network. This blackly comical twist on the medical drama made Hugh Laurie (Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie) a big star State side. Created by David Shore (NYPD Blue, Due South, Sneaky Pete). Laurie stars as Dr. Gregory House the grumpy medical genius who runs the fictional Princeton-Plainsboro teaching hospital in New Jersey. Much of the drama comes from House clashing with his students and patients. His cynical, traditional methods is opposed to the student's modern ideas focusing on a patients history and physical examination. The strong supporting cast includes, the appealing Lisa Edelstein:p (Seinfeld, The West Wing, As Good as it Gets) as Dr. Lisa Cuddy, Robert Sean Leonard as Dr. James Wilson (House's one true friend), Omar Epps (Higher Learning, The Wood) and Olivia Wilde (Conversations with Other Women, Her) as Dr. Remy "Thirteen" Hadley. Laurie known for more wide eyed, naive cheery performances in past comedy roles reinvented himself with a brilliant deadpan, straight talking performance leading the actor to win the Screen Actors Guild's award in 2007 and 2009. Among a whole host of nominations and wins, Shore won a writing Emmy for the season 1 episode, "Three Stories" and Edelstein also won a People's Choice Award in 2011. Fun fact in 2005 Gregory House was voted second-sexist TV Doctor ever behind ER's Doug Ross (George Clooney) by TV Guide:p). Laurie appeared on the cover of that issue. Massive Attack's "Teardrop" was the show's them in the US. Usual Suspects director Bryan Singer backed the series through his production company.

- Orange is the New Black (2013-2019)

The first show by producer/writer Jenji Kohan to appear on this list and probably her most popular show yet makes a respectable placing for such a niche series. OITNB was Kohan's second series following Showtime's cult slacker comedy Weeds (2005-2012) and coming before her likable feminist comedy Glow (2017-present). The series is based on Piper Kerman's 2010 memoir Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison about Kerman's experiences at FCI Danbury minimum-security federal prison. Building on the themes of Weeds, OITNB presents a middle class white woman as a fish out of water. In this case Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) is sentenced to a 15 mouths in Litchfield Penitentiary Prison for transporting a suitcase full of drug money for girlfriend Alex (Laura Prepon). Alex a drug smuggler by trade has testified against Piper ten years after the incident. Having moved on with her life since Piper is confronted with Alex in prison. She also has to deal the gender and sexual politics on the inside. The title refers to the Piper being surrounded by a wide range of minorities. The diverse cast list includes, Michelle Hurst, Kate Mulgrew, Uzo Aduba, Danielle Brooks and Natasha Lyonne (recently seen in Netflix's Russian Doll). The style is very much a comedy of embarrassment, with a sharp black tone and subversion on typical gender and racial characters. With major backing from Lionsgate the first season premiered on Netflix in the summer of 2013 and became an instant hit. At the time it was the streaming services most watched Original series. The first season gained 12 Emmy Nominations (winning 3). For the second season Aduba won for Outstanding Supporting Actress (it got 4 noms that time). OITNB became the first show to get nominated in both the comedy and drama categories. The series has also received nominations from the writers guild of America, the American Film Institute and got a Peabody award. The first four seasons got close to 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with S2 the peak at 98% (45 reviews). It has also scored fairly well on Metacritic with the highest (S2) 89% and the lowest (S5) scoring 67. Kohan's show has become one of the leading lights in the current era of cutting edge, niche streaming shows. The 7th and final season will debut this year.

- Jessica Jones (2015-2019)

A more divisive Netflix original which at least struck a strong cord in its first season. Another edition to the Marvel Television Universe with ties to its the MCU also. Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg's show put a noirish twist on the regular superhero format. Krysten Ritter made a name for herself as the moody, but street smart private detective who runs her own agency in New York. Its a credit to Ritter's performance and the writing than Jones is not just a cold, empty shell, but indeed has a likability and a sense of morality. In the first season Jones is confronted by her past in the form of the sinister Kilgrave (David Tennant) who can control mind using it to create chaos and possible deaths. Tennant excelled in role, using his slippery charisma to create one of the most engaging and yet scary villains of recent television. Producer Jeph Loeb compared Kilgrave to Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fish in Daredevil. Supporting Jessica along the way are life long best friend Patricia "Trish" Walker (nicely played by Rachael Taylor), cynical Attorney Jeri Hogath (Carrie-Anne Moss, The Matrix, Memento) and local bar owner Luke Cage (Mike Colter). Junkie police officer Will Simpson (Will Traval) was probably the weakest part of S1 IMO. The second season in 2018 had a very sluggish pacing, and wasn't received anywhere near as well. In fairness it had another excellent villain in Jessica's Mother Alisa Jones (Janet McTeer). Things finally came to life in the second half, for some it was too little too late. In what's becoming a recent trend for Netflix superhero shows season 3 dropping later this year will be its last. Spin-offs have included Luke Cage and The Defenders. Stay tuned for more superhero action later in the list:)

- Merlin (2008-2012)
Produced by the BBC with a healthy five series run (65 episodes) this twist on the Arthurian legend took the Smallville root and focused on the early years of the young Wizard Merlin (Colin Morgan) and his friendship with King Arthur (Bradley James). Adding a bit of spark to proceedings is Buffy's own Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon King of Camelot who regularly dishes out tough love to Arthur in his attempts to maintain the King's strict no magic rule. One Foot in the Grave's Richard Wilson is also good hammy fun as court physician Gaius. Reviews were said to be mixed, but the ratings strong after a slow start. The series was a favourite on BBC's online catch up service the i-player. Merlin has become a mainstay on the Syfy channel (US) and on both UK and US Netflix.

Downton Abbey (2010-2015)
One of ITV's biggest shows of recent years and a statement of intent to the rival BBC than they can match them when it comes to prestige period dramas. Julian Fellowes creates and writes this historical drama set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of the title between 1912 and 1926. The series over 6 seasons depicted the lives of the aristocratic Crawley Family and their domestic servants in the post-Edwardian era. Weaving in the politics of the time the series proved the perfect mix of blast from the past drama and cosy-post Tea time soap with high end production values. It was a big hitter on the awards scene and made names of many of its ensemble cast such as Jessica Brown Findlay, Michelle Dockery, Joanne Froggatt (excellent in ITV's chilling See No Evil: The Moors Murders, 2006), and Dan Stevens. More experience came from Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton.

Next time I crack open the top 40!

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I've watched Merlin 5 times in the space of a year. I need help...

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
44. The O.C. (2003-2007)

View attachment 13460

Created by Josh Schwartz for Fox Network. The OC of the title is short for Orange County, the area of California where the series is set. A more jazzed up and sexy version of Dawson's Creek. This soap/drama starts with troubled teen Ryan Atwood (Benjamin McKenzie) from a poor background who is brought into a more privileged community and raised by public defender Sandy Cohen (Peter Gallagher, seems perfect casting to me), and his family, wife Kirsten (Kelly Rowan), and their awkward nerdy son Seth (Adam Brody). Mischa Barton made a early appearance as Marissa Cooper a character who has issues with drink and drugs throughout the first 3 seasons. I know very little about the O.C. Fans speak up now! :) It scored 21 points and got two votes BTW.

There are some big hitters coming up too :D
The picture confused me, granted I only watched s1, but... that’s not the cast?

This is:

27AA067E-78FB-4D59-9433-71D08F1457CA.jpeg

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I'm assuming the cast changed over the course of the show. But could be my mistake.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Mr Trick I'm assuming the cast changed over the course of the show. But could be my mistake.

The photo you originally used is of the supporting characters from Season 2. The one @Taake posted is of the main cast.

Mr Trick

Scooby
@RachM Well I never promised the pictures would be all of the main cast :D As long as the pictures were of OC cast members and not of random people from OC the real place I'll take it!;)

Mr Trick

Scooby
The number 40 spot is pretty packed with a mix of classic Brit comedy, comic book heroes, fantasy and politics/legal drama. They all scored 25 points.

40. Fawlty Towers (1975-1979)

The second appearance on the list for the great John Cleese. This classic British sitcom in fact was said to partly inspire another classic comedy which is coming very soon. Cleese created the series with his then wife Connie Booth who co-stars as the hotel waitress. Fawlty Towers is as British as any sitcom gets. Its a work place comedy. Its set in that very British of thing a family owned hotel. The town is a classic but forgotten sea side town Torquay. Much of the comedy comes from a middle aged man, his anxieties over his crumbling marriage (to Sybil played by the delightful Prunella Scales), his lack of career progression, generational and political deputes. Its that classic British sitcom thing of failure turned into slapstick hilarity. Fawlty Towers is a huge influence on Gervais and Merchant's The Office (which referenced Fawlty Towers) and no doubt countless workplace comedies over the last few decades. Cleese gives a note perfect physical performance throughout riffing off many of the classic silent era performers. Basil's interactions with the likable but bemused Spanish waiter Manuel (Andrew Sachs) become like one long running Punch and Judy show in itself. The Hotel becomes like a character in itself. Many of the classic scenes such as Basil smacking the tree branch into the car windscreen and the live duck moment have stood the test of time having been referenced and replayed countless times.

The comedy was ranked first in The British Film Institute's "100 Greatest British Television Programmes" in 2000. And number one in Radio Times recent list of the greatest ever British sitcoms. Its also telling that FT went out on a high with just two series (12 episodes). It is a reminder that once upon a time us Brits did comedy better than anyone else. The bar was set with Fawlty Towers.

- Grimm (2011-2017)
NBC noir procedural co-created by Angel showrunner David Greenwait. The series had a healthy six season run with 123 episodes in total. Based on "The History of the Brothers Grimm" the series was a hybrid of cop drama and dark fantasy. Set in Portland, Homicide detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) discovers he is a "Grimm" the latest in a line of guardians who are sworn to keep the balance between humanity and mythological creatures known as Wesen. The supporting cast includes Russell Hornsby, Bitsie Tulloch, Silas Weir Mitchell (Prison Break), Sasha Roiz and Claire Coffee. The series premiered to mixed critical reviews with some finding the humour hit and miss and preferring female fronted fantasy shows like Once Upon a Time. But Grimm drew strong ratings (peaking at close to 8 Million viewers on avenge) and has a dedicated fan base. The stunt work on the show was credited with nominations at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards.

- The Shield (2002-2008)
A sleeper hit for FX and Sony Pictures Television. Created by Shawn Ryan (Lie to Me, Mad Dogs) and starring Michael Chiklis (American Horror Story: Freak Show, Gotham), who won a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his role as LAPD Detective Vic Mackey. Ryan's show is known for its stylish but gritty look at Police corruption. A LA Police Department with experimental methods set up in fictional distinct Farmington ("the Farm") tackle crimes including ethic gang-related violence, drug trafficking and prostitution. The series had some credible big screen stars becoming regular cast members including seven time Oscar Nominee Glenn Close, Forest Whitaker, Laura Harring (Mulholland Drive), Franka Potente (Run Lola Run) and Laurie Holden (The X-Files). Entertainment Weekly named The Shield its 8th Best Show of the 2000s saying, "Det. Vic Mackey didn't just clean up the streets-he cleaned up on the streets. Would he pay for those sins? This gutsy TV drama kept us guessing," The show won was nominated and won a host of other awards.

- The Good Fight (2017-present)

CBS spin-off and sequel to its long running legal drama The Good Wife (2009-2016). Producers Robert King, Michelle King and Phil Alden Robinson once again aimed to use contemporary political stories ripped from the front pages (the series open on the night of Tramp's Election), driving the drama and a even more diverse cast of characters than its award winning big brother. The series has Diane Lockhart (Christine Baranski) (crossing over from TGW) losing her employment and in finical ruin. Lockhart along with goddaughter Maia (Rose Leslie, Game of Thrones) join Lucca Quinn (Cush Jumbo) at one of Chicago's preeminent law firms. For more here's my good friend @HowiMetdaSlayer "Take The Good Wife minus Alecia, family, and her husband's political story line. Then add an all black firm, Lucca, Eli's plucky daughter Marissa, and new character Maia (and her family drama). Plus throw in some Trump era politics and voila: you've got The Good Fight." Three seasons in (a 4th has been green lit) The Good Fight has been a success and is matching up nicely against The Good Wife. It has done that thing which all good sequels should in feeling similar enough to the original but still going in its own direction. Debuting at number 40 on this list is impressive. But can it win the FIGHT;) against The Good Wife? Only time will tell!:D

- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018-present)

A true surprise (it got two votes by the way). The most recent show on the list having only concluded its first season this year (assuming the two-parts make up one season). One of the better received recent TV re-boots. This Warner Brothers-Netflix co-production puts a stylish Gothic spin on the popular teen comedy Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996-2003) starring Melissa Joan Hart as the title character Sabrina Spellman. Riverdale and Big Love producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa took on the project. Chilling Adventures is in fact part of the same universe as Riverdale having come from the Archie Comics (Archie the lead in Riverdale). Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka is cast as the title character who must balance her human and supernatural lives whilst protecting friends and family from the forces of evil. Shipka is such a natural in the role, grounding Sabrina, she is so likable, funny and complex. A strong ensemble cast includes Lucy Davis (The Office UK), Miranda Otto (The Thin Red Line, Lord of the Rings, What Lies Beneath) as Sabrina's Aunts Zelda and Hilda. Scottish comic actress Michelle Gomez (The Book Group, Green Wing) steals many scenes as teacher turn Madam Satan. Richard Coyle (Coupling) is also a fantastic ghoulish presence as Father Faustus Blackwood. Jez Sinclair, Lachlan Watson and Ross Lynch star as Sabrina's best friends and boyfriend respectively. Mixed in with some typical teen elements, are fantastical set pieces, full on horror and fun b-movie attics. The production values and direction are strong. Already planned to last 3-4 seasons this new Sabrina is finding its audience and expanding on the universe.

Coming next some more comedy Gold!:D

Last edited:
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
yay TGF made the list!

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
The picture confused me, granted I only watched s1, but... that’s not the cast?

This is:

View attachment 13636
Big OC fan here. Have the first two series on DVD.

So the actual first picture is not of anyone in the main cast but of four recurring cast that were love interest for the group of Ryan, Marissa, Seth and Summer for the 2nd series.

It was one each of thr recurring character for all four main characters apart from Marissa who had two and I wonder of anyone knows which two it was?! 😘

Taake
Taake
I have a weak memory of Summer's boyfriend, but who dated the 35 year old blonde? Ryan I guess.
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Again sorry. That's a show I've not seen so just do a general google search for pictures.
Top Bottom