• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone got a feeling this won't get made?

samthevamp

Townie
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a future reboot, but it'd be in a completely different time period culturally than the original show or right now. This isn't Veronica Mars, where they got most of the original cast back, only to make a controversial finale.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Or it'll get pushed through because of the Black lead and showrunner. Could go either way.
Yeah, I think it has a better chance of happening now than it did this time last year. It's "topical" and everyone loses their stuff over "topical" tv shows that address current issues affecting everyone and just love to put it on tv so you can never escape it and even your escape to fantasy is filled with the crap you are trying to escape from only making the real world seem that much worse and depressing.

oops. Didn't mean to rant. I had to cut myself short.

emspace

Townie
I would kinda hope they don't. I think there's no way they could recapture the late 90's/early 2000's snarky banter or better-than-real set design and costuming. It seems like nowadays I don't see a whole going on in those departments.

Reactions: Ann

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
We have a dynamic forum of Buffy lovers here but outside of our own enclave and maybe another forum, I don't see anyone clamouring for a second version of Buffy. And as can be seen from some of the comments, not everyone here is hard over on rebooting a new series bearing the name "Buffy".

I haven't heard of any news about someone actually spending money to make this happen. It is easy enough to nominate someone as a showrunner who will be paid from the proceeds of the show but no money will change hands until a producer accepts the show and sells it to a network. No one has paid a screenwriter to generate a pilot script - if this had happened, it would have been a story in the trade papers and some of the people here with an ear to the ground would have mentioned it.

If I was an executive in charge of programming, I would look for something a little more certain to have a following. Time had moved on and although the Buffy story is timeless in its message, it does not have anything that says it is going to be a hit right now. It is sort of like comparing the man of the hour and the man for all seasons - the show of the hour is what will be bought but the show for all seasons is now in the rear-view mirror. A black Buffy based on life in a ghetto may be the trendy thing to do but I doubt it will get an audience other than people who think they should watch it - and the only way the show would survive is if large numbers of people want to watch it.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
There has been no buildup for a Buffy reboot. They want the potential viewing audience to be excited about it. There has been nothing. I think they decided to not to go ahead with it because the response was lukewarm if even that. It would be better if those who would watch the reboot just watch the Buffy series. It was so groundbreaking and fresh with special effects when the vampires exploded. Not to mention excellent plot lines. I don't think the Buffy series we all know and love needs to be rebooted.

DagonSphere

Potential
To this day, it is odd to me that Fox let a franchise die that brought in a lot of revenue with an extensive selection of merchandise in the late 90s/early 00s. Even without Joss's direct involvement, they could have easily done a spin-off with a writer from the original series and Joss's blessing, but they chose not to do it; and now, while the Buffyverse still has its loyal following, it is not on the same scale as Friends or Gilmore Girls, franchises that has been kept alive by an overwhelming growth in younger fans (not to say Buffy does not gain younger fans now, but definitely not on the same level as the other two shows).

One executive at FOX said that they definitely want to reboot Buffy; and the industry enjoys rebooting (Charmed, Prison Break, 24, Roswell) - it is surprising that they have not done so already. In a way, I like that it has not happened yet, because it seems to me like they really want to get it right and not create a Charmed situation where they antagonise an entire fan base.

I think the reason why we have not heard about the planned reboot anymore was FOX's merger with Disney; that probably put things on the back burner, but I think the time will come where Buffy is rebooted or revived in some form, I just hope it will do the original show justice and also be able to stand on its own.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Agreed. I don't see it happening, unless all production is being kept top secret. Other than that, Fox just wanted to inflate the value of it's IP and it's shares in Boom! Prior to the Disney sale.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah, I think it has a better chance of happening now than it did this time last year. It's "topical" and everyone loses their stuff over "topical" tv shows that address current issues affecting everyone and just love to put it on tv so you can never escape it and even your escape to fantasy is filled with the crap you are trying to escape from only making the real world seem that much worse and depressing.

oops. Didn't mean to rant. I had to cut myself short.
Its not like the showrunner doesn't have a respected track record. If they were just hiring some no name just to tick a box I would agree with you. I think you are protesting too much for something which one way or the other is progress.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think you are protesting too much for something which one way or the other is progress.
I would wholly disagree with that but seeing how you missed the entire point of the post as you started to address the showrunner as a box to tick when I never mentioned anything about the showrunner or ticking boxes, I think it would be a moot point.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I would wholly disagree with that but seeing how you missed the entire point of the post as you started to address the showrunner as a box to tick when I never mentioned anything about the showrunner or ticking boxes, I think it would be a moot point.
I didn't miss any point. It was suggested by both @Buffy Summers and you that the reboot would probably happen because of it being an African American Slayer and showrunner.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I didn't miss any point. It was suggested by ... you that the reboot would probably happen because of it being an African American Slayer and showrunner.
Then yes, you did miss the point. As I stated before, I mentioned neither.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Fine, well moving the topic back on track. Monica Owusu-Breen has been involved in S3 of Lost (considered by some to be the best season), Alias, Brothers & Sisters, Fringe and Agents of Shield among others. So that's a pretty solid list for me. I'm lukewarm on the idea of a Buffy reboot anyway, but if its going to happen Owusu-Breen seems a decent choice to show run it. Also if the Slayer's African American it makes sense for the showrunner to also be African American.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Monica Owusu-Breen has been involved in S3 of Lost (considered by some to be the best season), Alias, Brothers & Sisters, Fringe and Agents of Shield among others. S
You forgot Midnight, Texas. Her running that show was one of the reason I was the first person on this forum supporting her when others were saying that if Whedon wasn't involved they weren't interested.

Mr Trick

Scooby
You forgot Midnight, Texas. Her running that show was one of the reason I was the first person on this forum supporting her when others were saying that if Whedon wasn't involved they weren't interested.
Fair enough. I've never saw that show. I think people were saying Joss should be involved somehow like as a producer. They weren't saying he should be the showrunner. It makes sense he has some influence as the original creator. Or at least I think he should be.

TriBel

Scooby
I haven't seen it - I keep intending to order it. I've heard good things about it on another Buffy site. D'you recommend it? Okay...just seen your last post.

Priceless
Priceless
I saw a couple of eps, looked pretty derivative to me

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I haven't seen it - I keep intending to order it. I've heard good things about it on another Buffy site. D'you recommend it? Okay...just seen your last post.
Nix really likes it (or at least I think she did). I've read some scripts for it, if that counts, and the scripts are pretty good. I am just not a big fan of genre type shows anymore.

Top Bottom