• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Are The Buffy Comics Worth Reading?

Xanderectomy

Professional Procrastinator
Just Finished Btvs S7 Last Night and i wanted to know if the Buffy Comics were as good as the television show.
As far as ive seen its gotten mostly mixed reviews,with a lot of people saying that season 8 is terrible.

Personally I love and adore S8, it took risks and went to new directions. A lot of people prefered S10 because it's less out there and closer to the show. S11 is shaping up to be a great season.

I say read for yourself and make your own opinion. :) You can read S8 online. Link.

Xanderectomy

Personally I love and adore S8, it took risks and went to new directions. A lot of people prefered S10 because it's less out there and closer to the show. S11 is shaping up to be a great season.

I say read for yourself and make your own opinion. :) You can read S8 online. Link.
Thank you! im gonna start reading as I've heard Xander plays a big role

Sineya
@sosa lola I just spent the last nine hours on the site you linked and read all of Season 8. It was better than I thought. I had seen artwork before that was so bad that I couldn't tell Buffy from Willow, so I was turned off as far as comics were concerned but going through the entire season, I like them a bit better. Some of the story lines are odd (Dawn is a giant then a centaur then a doll) but it all works a bit better than it sounds.

Time well wasted!

@sosa lola I just spent the last nine hours on the site you linked and read all of Season 8. It was better than I thought. I had seen artwork before that was so bad that I couldn't tell Buffy from Willow, so I was turned off as far as comics were concerned but going through the entire season, I like them a bit better. Some of the story lines are odd (Dawn is a giant then a centaur then a doll) but it all works a bit better than it sounds.

Time well wasted!
I wasn't a huge fan of the Dawn storyline, I feel that it could have been wrapped up faster. But there's also the morality of it. Dawn's boyfriend was like a male Anya, she cheated on him and he cast vengeance on her. I disapproved of Anya's methods for punishment on the show and I also disapprove of Kenny's in the comics.

Out of curiosity, what were your favorite moments?

Xanderectomy

Time well wasted!
thanks for spoilers

Sineya
If you go to the Buffy Season 8 Re-caps which is a sticky thread for Season 8 in the index, you get a synopsis of everything that happens in the Season 8 comics. The comics seem to be better than the re-caps would have you believe. There is a lot going on in the comics that couldn't possibly happen in a TV show. Worldwide locations, adult content, lots of slayers, time travel, all things that never would have made it to the TV screen.

Just Finished Btvs S7 Last Night and i wanted to know if the Buffy Comics were as good as the television show.
As far as ive seen its gotten mostly mixed reviews,with a lot of people saying that season 8 is terrible.
I know I'm quite late but I would say definitely! I do think that it's gotten slightly less memorable of late, but the first half of Season 8 (as well as Angel: After The Fall) are what got me into comics in the first place. They're really solid, and I'd honestly rank a couple of those stories in my top 10 Buffy episodes.

Let me just say I love you for putting that comment because I have been looking so hard to find the comics

sosa lola
sosa lola
You're welcome - The Rock's singing voice!

Time well wasted!
I totally am doing the same thing right now

zombiegurl

Love me some Buffy!
Link doesn't work. :-( But I do have "The Long Way Home." Is that the first book of episode 8? (I hope I bought the right one!) For some reason, I can't really get into the comics. I prefer actual novels, but I'm going to give it a try.

Sineya
Yes 'The long way home' is the first book of season 8. :)

The full set is:-
The long way home
No future for you
Wolves at the Gate
Time of your Life
Predators & Prey
Retreat
Twilight
Last Gleaming

Hi @Xanderectomy. :D

Thank you! im gonna start reading as I've heard Xander plays a big role
Have you read any of them yet? I agree with Sosa's comments on S8. The season really changed my pov on Xander's character and I've been appreciating him and his journey in the show a lot more during rewatch since I read it. I think S9 was the weaker spot for the comics so far, but I've enjoyed 10 and am enjoying 11 now. They aren't flawless but I think you can see the journey the characters have made from the show to where they are now and the developments/progression they've made since then. :)

Miditron

A man with a Seabreeze
Season 8 seems out of place when you first get into it because it is a huge season with a lot going on. But once you re read it some things for me started clicking with the season. But so far the whole Buffy series for me has been fantastic. Ohh if you are done with Angel also you should give Angel Cakes a visit in Angel After the Fall volumes 1-4.

Last night I read #3 of S8 and I was completely engrossed in it. The dialogue and foreshadowing and vagueness of Willow's disappearance, and did I mention the dialogue? Xander's scene with an injured Renee was very well written and I wish the dialogue in S10 and S11 can be as snappy and witty as it was in S8.

I think I'll buy the other book/comics now. At least, I'll read season 8. I miss Buffy!!!
That's why I started reading the comics, and I'm so glad I did. Season 8 was a bit overblown for me, and S9 had some great arcs, but suffered in comparison to Angel & Faith S9 (which was fantastic) but Season 10 and 11 have been great.