• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

As a Bangel Shipper which of these "other" ships bothered you the most?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Buffy wouldn't be suicidal over Cangel. She'd be upset and disappointed (though try to put on a brave face), but at worst it would send her running back to Spike just so she can distract herself. However, the fact that Cordelia doesn't bring Angelus forth might give Buffy a small glimmer of satisfaction as it means that Cordy doesn't make Angel happy the way Buffy did.

If anything, I think Buffy would be more upset that Angel had a child with Darla, she still wouldn't kill herself over it though.

Ann
Ann
All true.
r2dh2
r2dh2
I agree. Besides by this season, Angel hasn't been part of her life for a while already, even if he remains important for her. And Buffy has Dawn to take care of and, despite their issues, she does have strong emotional support from her friends.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
Buffy wouldn't be suicidal over Cangel. She'd be upset and disappointed (though try to put on a brave face), but at worst it would send her running back to Spike just so she can distract herself. However, the fact that Cordelia doesn't bring Angelus forth might give Buffy a small glimmer of satisfaction as it means that Cordy doesn't make Angel happy the way Buffy did.

If anything, I think Buffy would be more upset that Angel had a child with Darla, she still wouldn't kill herself over it though.
Agree with all of this. If Buffy WAS going to be suicidal I think that would have been evident when she first came back and was at her most miserable. Or, alternately, in S2 when she was tortured for months by her first love and then had to kill him. But I don’t think she ever was.

Crushed? Maybe. Worse than that? No. I also agree Darla would have hurt her more though honestly, I don’t feel either Cordelia or Darla (or Spike, for that matter) were a true threat to their love for each other. Nor do I think any of those situations were something the other wouldn’t forgive.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."

In Season 6 she would.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
In Season 6 she would.
No she wouldn't. She was using Spike as a drug to numb her pain, we'd just get the "tell me you want me" spiel when she goes to him yet again to numb her pain, this time over Angel.

Buffy wouldn't kill herself no matter how much she was hurting because she wouldn't want to put Dawn through the pain of losing her again. Buffy cares about others before herself. She wouldn't want any of the scoobies finding her lifeless body.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
No she wouldn't. She was using Spike as a drug to numb her pain, we'd just get the "tell me you want me" spiel when she goes to him yet again to numb her pain, this time over Angel.

Buffy wouldn't kill herself no matter how much she was hurting because she wouldn't want to put Dawn through the pain of losing her again. Buffy cares about others before herself. She wouldn't want any of the scoobies finding her lifeless body.
Yeah she would.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Oh no she wouldn't!

Let's go a little less pantomime and actually give a response with reasoned arguments, shall we?
Why should I? I've already explained myself time and time again. People who feel extremely depressed are capable of committing suicide. That is a fact. The way Buffy was in Season 6 proves that she is capable of committing suicide considering everything wrong is going on. Learning that the love of her life developing feelings for someone who was ungrateful to and made complaints about her in the past, would be enough to push her over the edge.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
I think this is going to be one of those things that two sides aren’t going to end up agreeing on. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honestly though not every super depressed person is suicidal. Other people handle it differently, which I think we saw with Buffy (and her whole thing with Spike.)

I think Buffy would be more likely to go to LA and beat up on Angel before she would kill herself. (But I don’t even think she would do that in S6. She would probably just close off from everyone more and spend even more time with Spike.)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Why should I?
Because this is a discussion board? Where things can be discussed and debated?

I've already explained myself time and time again. People who feel extremely depressed are capable of committing suicide. That is a fact.
Anybody is capable of committing suicide, it's not exclusive to the depressed.

The way Buffy was in Season 6 proves that she is capable of committing suicide considering everything wrong is going on. Learning that the love of her life developing feelings for someone who was ungrateful to and made complaints about her in the past, would be enough to push her over the edge.
Dawn tried committing suicide in Season 7, she wasn't depressed, she just felt she needed a big gesture to compete against the rest of the female scoobies for RJ's attention. Chloe committed suicide in Season 7, she wasn't depressed, she was scared and desperate not to die gruesomely at the hands of the First. Spike technically committed suicide when he got a soul (depending on whether or not you view souled Spike as a completely different person to unsouled Spike), he got the soul as a grand gesture for Buffy (it's problematic but there you go), he wasn't depressed.

Just because you're depressed doesn't automatically mean you're going to commit suicide because an ex hooks up with someone else.

Buffy's problem in Season 6 was that she was feeling emotionally numb, she wanted "the fire back" hence why she hooked up with Spike repeatedly because when she was with him she felt something rather than just feeling the numbness she felt around the scoobies. She'd feel something over Cangel but it wouldn't push her to suicide.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
Because this is a discussion board? Where things can be discussed and debated?

Anybody is capable of committing suicide, it's not exclusive to the depressed.

Dawn tried committing suicide in Season 7, she wasn't depressed, she just felt she needed a big gesture to compete against the rest of the female scoobies for RJ's attention. Chloe committed suicide in Season 7, she wasn't depressed, she was scared and desperate not to die gruesomely at the hands of the First. Spike technically committed suicide when he got a soul (depending on whether or not you view souled Spike as a completely different person to unsouled Spike), he got the soul as a grand gesture for Buffy (it's problematic but there you go), he wasn't depressed.

Just because you're depressed doesn't automatically mean you're going to commit suicide because an ex hooks up with someone else.

Buffy's problem in Season 6 was that she was feeling emotionally numb, she wanted "the fire back" hence why she hooked up with Spike repeatedly because when she was with him she felt something rather than just feeling the numbness she felt around the scoobies. She'd feel something over Cangel but it wouldn't push her to suicide.
I agree. Many people, including heavily depressed people, choose not to commit suicide every day. I don't think Cangel would be something that would "break" Buffy. Buffy may have felt very depressed, but she Cangel wasn't really the worst thing that could or has happened to her.

Top Bottom