• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

AtF and it's Awful Artwork

The Ferg

Scooby
Is it just me that really can't stand the art in AtF that's not by Franco Urru. Urru didn't get all of the likenesses perfect, but he had a style to his work that transcended his flaws.

But Nick Runge and Stephen Mooney on the other hand... I mean, holy s***, why did IDW think it was a good idea to publish this stuff? Why not just take some breaks inbetween issues? And why would they put Urru on Spike: AtF in the first place? He really should've kept working on Angel. Some of this stuff is just outright bad and really sucks me out of the plot.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Do you guys feels the same way? And if so, do you think it detracts from the story?

badsister

Angel's Avenger
I had problem with angel s11
but
can you present examples(cause i don't have comics in any kind of form, i've read all online). which issues are you referring to?

fauxindigo

Scooby
Is it just me that really can't stand the art in AtF that's not by Franco Urru. Urru didn't get all of the likenesses perfect, but he had a style to his work that transcended his flaws.

But Nick Runge and Stephen Mooney on the other hand... I mean, holy s***, why did IDW think it was a good idea to publish this stuff? Why not just take some breaks inbetween issues? And why would they put Urru on Spike: AtF in the first place? He really should've kept working on Angel. Some of this stuff is just outright bad and really sucks me out of the plot.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Do you guys feels the same way? And if so, do you think it detracts from the story?
Nooo! I honestly love the artwork of After the Fall because it's so moody/atmospheric. It's really dark and gritty but also has a glamorous element to it.

Some of my favorite art from the season.
Angel-After-the-Fall-Art-buffyverse-comics-894419_332_500.jpg

angelcover.jpg

ca6222af350336626c66a14d93f58dc3_l.jpg
[automerge]1525200829[/automerge]
a46a5ae0b2ab51341a096e2c5ffc06c5.jpg
View attachment 10771
[automerge]1525200923[/automerge]

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Some of the art work left something to be desired but I didn’t pay attention to the illustrator to tell the difference. Faces were tough especially in the first volume of atf.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
The whole Spike/Illyria thing makes me wonder all over again why on earth they put Angel with Illyria now. Does Angel now get Spike's sloppy seconds or something?

But I also have issues with the art of AtF except Urru. Sometimes it's so bad (because characters only have a dot for eyes/nose/mouse and no facial features) it completely take me out.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
why on earth they put Angel with Illyria now.
I, too, grow tired of these two man-pires sharing history with the women they are involved with. Give it a rest.

idk who drew Cordy but she looked really great in the AtF story. So much better than they did on Nina/Gwen which was not my speed.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn

I love Urru's style. Of all of them he has the best sense of background and atmosphere; however, his likenesses (or lack of them) often frustrate me. The colouring in his work is also often not to my liking - like why does everyone's skin have this weird olive-grey look? I don't much like Runge's work. It often feels quite flat (though perhaps that may have more to do with the colourist than the penciller - I dunno how much collaboration there is on this. Either way, it's horribly bland) and while sometimes he does some good facial work, other times it's like he just can't be bothered to put in those few extra lines to give a character's face depth, especially if the panel is depicting anything further than a close-up.

I can't believe you don't like Mooney, though! I think he has a gift not just likenesses, but a authentic character facial expressions. I love the high contrast style of his art too, although I guess it may not be too everyone's liking.
[automerge]1525295364[/automerge]
Blech - sorry for the typos in that last paragraph.

Last edited:

The Ferg

Scooby
Nooo! I honestly love the artwork of After the Fall because it's so moody/atmospheric. It's really dark and gritty but also has a glamorous element to it.
All of those examples were from Urru. I'm pretty much just complaining about Mooney and Runge.

But I also have issues with the art of AtF except Urru. Sometimes it's so bad (because characters only have a dot for eyes/nose/mouse and no facial features) it completely take me out.
Exactly this. The story is SO damn good, but a couple of those issues are just rough. I find myself consciously stopping at nearly every panel to gawk at how much better it could have been.

I love Urru's style. Of all of them he has the best sense of background and atmosphere; however, his likenesses (or lack of them) often frustrate me. The colouring in his work is also often not to my liking - like why does everyone's skin have this weird olive-grey look? I don't much like Runge's work. It often feels quite flat (though perhaps that may have more to do with the colourist than the penciller - I dunno how much collaboration there is on this. Either way, it's horribly bland) and while sometimes he does some good facial work, other times it's like he just can't be bothered to put in those few extra lines to give a character's face depth, especially if the panel is depicting anything further than a close-up.
I think Urru's best trait is his ability to capture mood and atmosphere. Runge and Mooney are simply missing that. It's like their panels are just people standing next to eachother, with random lines all over their faces.
I agree that Urru's likenesses aren't great, but I think he's fully aware of that. If sacrificing realism for a more kinetic and functional approach is what it takes, I'm fine with being a little confused about some of the faces. And honestly, I'd much rather have an artist that has a more traditional comic book style that eschews perfect likenesses rather than an artist that tries really hard to get it right, but just can't do it. I'm stuck worrying about the quality of the artwork, instead of it just taking me along for the ride.

I can't believe you don't like Mooney, though! I think he has a gift not just likenesses, but a authentic character facial expressions. I love the high contrast style of his art too, although I guess it may not be too everyone's liking.
Yea, I can't stand him. I really find it hard to get through any of his issues. I just think he uses way too many lines, and doesn't give the interiors nearly enough work. Everything looks half-assed to me. Just bland characters, standing in front of bland backgrounds. It doesn't help that the colors are just truly awful on his issues.

Top Bottom