• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Attention Netflix freeloaders

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2019 this week, a UK startup flaunted an AI-driven tool that allows streaming platforms to get finer insights into their users' account behavior. Its chief aim is to allow media-service providers – such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc – to detect whether their users are sharing passwords with more people than they should.

One survey found that 26 percent of millennials use the password from someone else’s account to watch shows on an online streaming service. Some would argue this is just a push towards a “sharing economy”, but this could mean media companies are losing out on billions of dollars.

"Casual credentials sharing is becoming too expensive to ignore. Our new solution gives operators the ability to take action," Jean Marc Racine, chief product officer of Synamedia, said in a statement. “Many casual users will be happy to pay an additional fee for a premium, shared service with a greater number of concurrent users. It's a great way to keep honest people honest while benefiting from an incremental revenue stream.”

Using machine learning, it will be able to decipher whether certain patterns of logging in are legitimate or the result of sneaky behavior. For example, it will notice if two different households are clearly unrelated, such as different tastes and geographical location, yet are still sharing a password.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Could we focus on what's really important? How people in the US can't access iplayer anymore?! :D ;)

Aren't you supposedly allowed to share your Netflix with a certain number of people? Or was that something else?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
“Many casual users will be happy to pay an additional fee for a premium, shared service with a greater number of concurrent users. It's a great way to keep honest people honest while benefiting from an incremental revenue stream.”.
What? LOL No, nobody is going to happily pay more than they already are for streaming services.

Aren't you supposedly allowed to share your Netflix with a certain number of people? Or was that something else?
Yes, but its tracked by the number of devices being used at one time rather than by total number of devices used by one account. You can opt for the two or four devices at a time service.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
There was a thing on the ABC news at 5:45 am today about that shows people being giving heaps of derision to women. A company developed a devise to give women pleasure with an added safety level but the people of that show they would not allow that product to be in the show, they stated women should be having babies not giving themselves pleasure.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Sounds like breakfast tv

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Still on about Facebook, I got banned from there after an argument with those who ran it over their lack of caring for users, not that I'd want to go back.

FaithLehane16

"I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop"
I already heard of this news. I have mixed feelings about it. If you have the person's permission, then yes use Netflix, but when you don't have good ties, then it's inappropriate.

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
At the end of the day, I'm paying for a service so I should be able to watch that service anywhere. If I go round a friend's house, I want to be able to log in to my Netflix to watch a movie with them.

I do allow a family member to access the Netflix account I pay for, because I'm allowed Netflix on "two devices", it never specified those devices have to be in the same property.

I would however happily pay them even more money. Said no-one ever.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I do allow a family member to access the Netflix account I pay for, because I'm allowed Netflix on "two devices", it never specified those devices have to be in the same property.
But that's not what it is to prevent. It's to prevent it from being a communal login. Some accounts have many multiple people using it. But as long as they all do not use them simultaneously they can continue circumventing the rules. You can have up to four people using it. Legally. But then if those four people give their id and password to another, that's eight people using it. Etc, etc.

Top Bottom