• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Many of you know or at least know of this song:

But now it seems that some radio stations are refusing to play this holiday classic because of it's predatory nature and the message it sends to young women.

Dora

Scooby
A light hearted holiday classic , but I can understand the persuasive massage.....but it is a bit different to Spikes stop me

I don't see anything wrong with that song, in my opinion when you listen to the lyrics it's kind of clear the woman doesn't actually want to leave. If she did, she'd just walk out the door and ignore the man's excuses for why she should stay. If you listen she's kind of like I SHOULD go for this reason but I'll stay for another drink/cigarette/ I'll stay because it is cold out there and it's warm in here.

Does the man want to sleep with her? Probably but he's not the one saying have another drink or cigarette, he's just repeatedly pointing out that the weather is bad outside (and in severe icy conditions it is better to stay put than risk driving).

The line that is probably the most questionable is "Hey, what's in this drink?" and whilst it could be argued to have roofie connotations (though if it was rohypnol she wouldn't taste anything), it could also be that he's made her a drink that's different to the ones she's had for the rest of the evening eg he might've used gin instead of vodka, and she's merely inquiring what's different about it. The way she says "hey" is more of an inquisitive tone than a "have you just drugged me?" one.

@DeadlyDuo - it's not Rohypnol. As far as I'm aware the drug wasn't introduced until the mid 70s and the song dates from the early 50s. I'm guessing she's been drinking soda and he's started to slip her alcohol.

She does want to stay - her concern is with what the neighbours/friends and family will think (slut shaming): "There's bound to be talk tomorrow...At least there will be plenty implied" (so maybe not that different @Dora). It's a shame women are still stigmatized for enjoying an active sex-life.

I can kinda see the point the objectors are making. If you read the full lyrics, it's a bit sleazy but I wouldn't go as far as banning it. It's not, IMO, as bad as this (which is creepy):

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I saw this floating around but assumed it was fake news. What radio stations are refusing to play it? Have there been any statements made?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Good point, when specific stations and the like aren't given then snopes will almost certainly be debunking it if they bother with it at all.
It's a bawdy 1940's musical comedy bit. It was written and performed by a Songwriter and his wife at Christmas Parties. You can see an example of what it's supposed to be on YouTube, see "Neptune's Daughter." It's just a period piece with a set up that doesn't make any sense in the present, like a College Widow or a Orphanage, or cranking up a Model T. If you think it's about rape, like she doesn't want to have sex and he's trying to drug her, you probably think everything is about rape, and that hot dogs and skyscrapers are a conspiracy to oppress you. Now, I'm going to stop before I say something unkind.

I honestly wonder how many molehills reporters find for clickbait on their own, and how many they actually engineer, such as sharing this song on some of the more toxic tumblr sites, for example, to generate more clickbait articles that no one would care about other than a score of people or so otherwise.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I honestly wonder how many molehills reporters find for clickbait on their own, and how many they actually engineer, such as sharing this song on some of the more toxic tumblr sites, for example, to generate more clickbait articles that no one would care about other than a score of people or so otherwise.
I have been keeping an eye on snopes about a few questionable stories I have spotted recently and haven't seen this one pop up yet but I'm waiting.

Spanky
Spanky
Wounded am I. I fear I may have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

white avenger

white avenger
But now it seems that some radio stations are refusing to play this holiday classic because of it's predatory nature and the message it sends to young women.

I heard this a couple of days ago, and, apparently, just about every radio station in our area is defying it with a positive vengeance. It seems like you can't turn the radio on without hearing it. My question is, if so many people find "Baby, It's Cold Outside" so offensive or suggesrive, what do they think about this one?

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange.
I mostly just find it annoying! Don't know why it's even called a classic. I 1st heard the Buble cover and thought it was just a retro sounding new song.

The people who get into tizzies over this typically aren't consistent, they're following a trend...basically it's high school online, rife with hypocrisy and inconsistency that is about appeasing the popular kids (but in this case it's certain online celebrities, sometimes Hollywood celebrities) rather than sincere self-expression or personal beliefs.

As an extreme (to me anyway) example, I knew a guy online who preached of the evils of Sucker Punch and how vile and misogynistic any fan of it was while also praising Heavy Metal for the same things he condemned SP over, but then a popular YT icon condemned the first, so others followed suit and he followed along, but as HM wasn't mentioned, he was still free to like it and praise it. (I honestly wonder if he secretly liked SP as well, or if he really convinced himself he hated it while loving HM despite that the supposed evils of SP were even stronger in HM with more stuff his personal icon would object to as well on top of it all.)

I'm pretty tired so I may easily be forgetting stuff, but offhand I only recall one song being unofficially banned by radio stations (this isn't counting where words are replaced, silenced, or bleeped out), and it came to my attention at the beach on a Fourth of July. A DJ (female, btw) of a country station apologized for playing the following song but got too many requests for it.

I paid attention thinking, "This is going to be good." But I was just bemused when it was Independence Day by McBride, which had won many awards and was popular, when several times that day that same station played Beer for my Horses by Toby Kieth.

I looked it up and found that a few other stations also blacklisted McBride's song in the past, but the country music fans and many of the singers backed McBride that the ban was short lived and the strange desire to censor her (and her award winning song) evaporated.

And since then, YouTube got popular and there are many ways to get music online...which makes me wonder, what's the friggin point of now starting to blacklist songs now? Especially as the few genuinely offended would be people no one cared about if the media didn't want to use them for clickbait which got a lot of people to take sides in something they wouldn't even think about otherwise. And meanwhile, REAL problems get glossed over or ignored completely.

Last edited:
caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Completely agree

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I don't like the lyrical contents of the song, but if I was a radio DJ, I would not ban it, I would just not play it. I would be too busy playing Poly Styrene "Black Christmas" and Big Star "Jesus Christ."

I don't get this, the-radio-refuses-to-play-a-song-i-did-not-realise-I-liked hysteria. 'Round here, the radio just plays a painful loop of Dire Straits and Pink Floyd. They must have put a ban on anything half decent.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
POLY-F*ING-STYRENE!!! MY QUEEN!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Do radio stations get that most people don't gain their moral guidance from the songs they listen to? Or in fact that most people don't take songs literally?

I hope the involved radio stations suffer from declining listenership, 'cause this is sad and pathetic.

I don't get this, the-radio-refuses-to-play-a-song-i-did-not-realise-I-liked hysteria.
Artistic censorship doesn't bother you? At least in principal if not in practice?

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Artistic censorship doesn't bother you? At least in principal if not in practice?
If you define artistic censorship as a radio station not wanting to play a song that a sizeable portion of its listeners don't like, then how to you propose we stop it?

And what would be the benefit of "saving" a song like "Baby It's Cold Outside"? I guess you could say it is the principle or the precedent, but you have to judge this thing on a case-by-case basis, because radio stations remove songs from their listings and libraries burn books by necessity. Is there something about this radio station's decision not to play this particular song that is particularly troubling? Or is this just a song that has outlived itself long ago?

And what is the cultural relevance of the radio anyway? Is this WW2? Back then, you'd get shot for owning a radio in this country. That's less ambiguous censorship.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Shame, I love that song! People seem to have lost their sense of appreciation for musicals. The lyrics are basically an inner debate, romantic tension if you will, not actually things vocalized.

And what is the cultural relevance of the radio anyway? Is this WW2? Back then, you'd get shot for owning a radio in this country. That's less ambiguous censorship.
A whiff of whataboutism to this. So because censorship was worse in wartime it is impossible to criticize it now? Or is censorship impossible without the threat of violence? I’d disagree. Besides, the fact that people are upset shows that the song hasn’t outlived itself or its use.

I also think the song is a symptom for bigger cultural changes that people aren’t necessarily onboard with. If one is, this is progress. If one isn’t, this is censorship.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Should I ever listen to the radio station that plays that stuff, it serves me right, it's a bit like listening to Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris or that Crosby guy.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
A whiff of whataboutism to this. So because censorship was worse in wartime it is impossible to criticize it now? Or is censorship impossible without the threat of violence? I’d disagree. Besides, the fact that people are upset shows that the song hasn’t outlived itself or its use.

I also think the song is a symptom for bigger cultural changes that people aren’t necessarily onboard with. If one is, this is progress. If one isn’t, this is censorship.
Well, you ignored the part of my post where I was actually speaking sense.

The only reason people construe this as "censorship" is that the radio station made a statement about removing the song. If they had not cited the #metoo movement, then it would just have been an editorial decision like any other, which is still what it is.

If you and thetopher make a petition that convinces the station to put "Baby, It's Cold" back on the list at the expense of Slade's "Merry X-Mas" or whatever, then fine by me, but I don't think you would be creating a freer world.

Freedom of speech does not mean equal opportunity of expression, because that is just not feasible. Culture is a battlefield and this time the people who do not like "Baby, It's Cold" lost. I don't want to be all whataboutist about this, but I've seen worse.

Black Thorn
The most troubling aspect of this story is that in the year 2018 people are still having to listen to the radio. God awful music, in between a barrage of adverts all tied together with irritating banter. Someone needs to start a campaign to raise awareness of streaming services. People shouldn't just be left to suffer alone.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Triple J and Double J are the only radio stations I listen to cause NO ADVERTS! And in general brilliant content, but like most stations not my type of music.
Top Bottom