• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Back to basics: Can you tell us your three top reasons for loving BtVS?

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
I assume that people in this forum love BtVS for one reason or another, or a combination of them (i.e. it’s different kind of show, we have a woman as the heroine, vampires are main characters before they became mainstream popular, etc.). If you could summarize those reasons, which would be your top three?

For me:

1. Girl power. I’m a woman and I love to have Buffy as the leading character. She’s not only physically powerful, she’s also sassy and self-confident. I admire and envy her strengths (and weaknesses). She’s a leader, a strategist, and a powerful woman in charge. At the same time, she’s loving, sweet, funny, beautiful, and has real weaknesses. Overall, she’s relatable.

2. Friendship. The Scoobies are an incredible group of people that love and support each other. They stand by each other and are able to resolve their conflicts. Their friendship is meaningful and involves a great deal of mutual respect and admiration.

3. Romance. I’m a romantic at heart, so for me the romances of BtVS are very appealing. They encompass sweetness, drama, heartbreak, love, passion, and fire. And, in particular, I’m a Spuffy lover. For me, it’s very rewarding to see the underdog fight his way to the top, earning love, respect and redemption along the way.

Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
Friendship, as you said, though I have to add the witty and fun dialog that was also present.

Girl power works. When I first got into it I was dealing with subconscious fear of being feminine as losing my agency (and likely to be victimized), while my then stud girlfriend wanted me to femme myself up. I did overcome my subconscious fears (though I was naturally a tomboy before enough people messed up my head that way, some without meaning to and with the best of intentions), and part of it was being inspired by the characters who could be so feminine and yet still be assertive and strong. (Glad I started with season 1.)

I generally didn't care much for romance plots. Sometimes it was okay and even good (I'm not a shipper, though), but I definitely prefer the friendship.

So let me see...ah, yes, the horror and fantastic elements. Though the horror angle was downplayed for the most part, it had its moments where it become dominant for at least an episode, and same for the fantastic (wishes and witchcraft and the like). I've always been a fan of fantasy, scifi, and certain types of horror.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
My top three reasons are:

1. Buffy. I LOVE our heroine. I love her flaws and I love her strengths. I love the way she tries (yes, I’m stealing a speech said by someone else) and how much she cares. I love that she doesn’t hide from her responsibilities and I love how resourceful she is. Pure girl love from me.

2. Spike. Should I say something else? He’s simply amazing. I not only find him extremely attractive, he’s also a romantic at heart who’s willing to do anything for love. And at the same time, he’s sassy but badass, he’s vulnerable but powerful, he’s sensitive but mean... For Buffy the mission comes first, for Spike Buffy is the mission and I LOVE that. He doesn’t surrender and keeps aiming to be better, to be stronger, to be deserving…

3. The Scoobies. Who wouldn’t want to have a tight and committed groups of friends? They are not perfect, but they complement each other, accept their imperfections, aim to correct them and work really hard to keep up their friendship. Was is it not to love?

godderofworms

five by five
1. It was the first show i ever borrowed from the video store when i had money. I was 11 and i remember always seeing the cover of it whenever we went to Blockbuster (i didn't have any idea what is was about i just thought it looked interesting) and i wanted to watch it soo bad but my parents wouldn't get it for me so when my birthday came around i took the money from that and got it out so it was the first show i really ever remember actively wanting to see (so i guess strong nostalgic factor)

2. Horror/Fantasy components. I don't think it would that much of a stretch to say that BtVS got me into horror/fantasy. The first time i saw the episode The Witch i remember it scared the hell out of me but i loved it for that at the same time. It was my first taste at something very different to what i thought television could do and it inspired me to delve further into my fascination with horror/fantasy.

3. Strong female characters. i don't think i really need to explain this that much, i mean, a majority of the female characters on this show are strong and capable women and have influenced me greatly. To quote Xander: "When it's dark and I'm all alone, and I'm scared or freaked out or whatever, I always think “What would Buffy do?” You're my hero."

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
What got me originally into BVTS was..

1. Buffy. Just love the character from the beginning. I had watch the original film and while I enjoy it at the time, the Buffy in that film wasn't that memorable. (Sorry KS!) SMG brought the character to live with some depth and vulnerability and strength of character. The RIGHT actress to be given the role of the vampire slayer.

Then the next thing was...
2. Angel. I am a sucker for romance and was intrigued with Angel from his first appearance. The reveal of him being a vampire blew my mind as I had no idea and I became so invested in the back story to his character.

And FINALLY the reason I was all in..
3. The Angelus arc. I was blown away by this development. I didn't not see it coming. I don't think many did. Just couldn't believe the turn around and that Angel was to Become the series 2 Villain?! The emotional rollercoaster of the back end of that season was must see television. The death of Jenny was heartbreaking and there was more excruciating pain to come with the season finale and the return of Angel only for Buffy to still have to put the sword into his body to stop hell coming to earth. OMG.

There are many more characters and SLs that make me love BVTS but these 3 answers in when my attachment grew to the point where I knew it would never leave me. And all these years later, I still love the show just as much (even those the rose tinted glasses are off and I see the various flaws in their storytelling with their numerous SLs).

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
The Angelus arc hit me hard as well...and given my life experience which had similar though not identical parallels, I could relate to that as well.
1. Mr Platt's talking cure.

2. Maggie Walsh's operant conditioning.

3. Vampires doing mixed martial arts.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
What makes Buffy and Angel uniquely enjoyable to me:

1. Great Dialogue (It's Funny!): Fundamental tot he shows appeal is the snappy dialogue and humour and how that helped illustrated each character; Xander's self-depreciating jokes and comedic tension-breaking, Buffy's heroic quips, Giles dry wit, Willow's adorkableness, Spike's snark, Cordelia's bitchiness, Faith's innuendo. Most characters are defined by their choice of words/ they express themselves.
I'm always struck in fan-fic if a good Buffy writer has managed to capture a character's essence just through dialogue back-and-forth.

2. Emotional (It's Sad!): The emotional arcs, the falls from grace, the characters deaths and relationship heartbreak and trauma. There's something there for anyone to invest in even if their not a 'shipper'. Because without the pain/reason to care you can't properly appreciate the highs; the comedic joys and feelgood moments. I've rarely seen shows that depict both comedy and tragedy so well.

3. Girl-Power: Joss' feminist creds may have taken a knock in recent years but the fact is he still managed to create amazing, powerful, kick-ass and flawed heroic female characters. Basically it's full of pretty girls with great hair beating things up/casting spells/shooting stuff with bullets and arrows.

And also did it without denigrating the surrounding male characters. This is less common in TV nowadays where in many times, for a female character to be awesome, a male character has to be shown to be dumb or macho or whatever.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Yes, flawed. It's hard to think well of one's self if one isn't as perfect as the "perfect heroine." To be truly inspiring they have to make mistakes and fail once in awhile, and to deal with and rise above that a better person. Agree with the rest.

katmobile

Scooby
I'm tempted to do a Tony Blair and go chracters, characters, characters. I think if the Buffyverse doesn't have the best characters so many of them so complex and so nuanced even the bad guys and even the bad guys who are never anything else on the show -take a bow Major Richard Wilkins - of any show ever it's pretty darn close. Howver to do that's cheating really and disingenious. There were episodes that were just so darned good and experimental (in terms of plotting, style and theme ) that my jaw dropped and an intruiging and a developing mythos - there so much depth that here we are sixteen years after it finished still discussing, analysising and arguing over it. That's probably the three.

Last edited:

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
1. The Angelus arc
I am really not one for romance so through the first half of season 2 I was just kind of waiting for something to wrong between them and the Angelus arc was something I was definitely not expecting and I loved it. Buffy was pretty much the opposite of predictable in most cases which is unlike a lot of other tv shows.
2. Fight scenes
I get bored pretty quick without fighting and death and the fight scenes in Buffy were amazing.
3. The characters
Of course, the reason I kept coming back to the show was because of the characters, who were all incredibly different and amazingly written.

telperion66

Potential
Interesting post, to squeeze into a bottle just three reasons why I love BTVS.

Here goes...

1. Buffy and Angel's love story. Beautiful and awe-inspiring.

2. The chemistry, warmth, humour and love between the scoobies in seasons 1 and 2.

3. The ability to enjoy the episodes I love over and over again because they feel so good in my heart!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I kinda want to put the humor on all three.
It's just a very funny show and that's really the main reason I love it so much.

1. The dialogue. It really stands out. Especially in the first seasons.
2. It's campy, silly and stupid. Having Buffy be on patrol in extremely impractical clothes and high heels is just wonderful.
3. The mix between drama and humor. Okay, this one is not a plain humor point. But I believe that one of the reason that the humor stuff works so great is the brilliant way the show mix the humor and the drama. The same episode can both be one of the funniest and one of the saddest.

/SK

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
What if there is not three? I can't think of three.

Last edited:
KatrinaL
KatrinaL
Too bad, probably we’d like to have known your thoughts.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I love Buffy for these three reasons:

1. It makes me happy. Plain and simple. No matter how many times I re-watch it, I'm dragged back in, and it never bores me. It makes me laugh and cry, and watching it feels like coming home to old friends.

2. Buffy continues to inspire me as a character. She is so strong, and interesting, and such a hero - yet also highly flawed and human. She's relatable.

3. The dialogue, the plot, the character development, the story will always be the best.

Nothing beats Buffy. Best show ever made, always will be.

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
1. It's a well constructed Dramedy. Gave us 7 years of fun and heartache.

2. 20+ years later we are still discussing it.

3. Bangel and Spuffy. Even if you are not a shipper, you cannot stay away from the ongoing and never ending discussion.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
EVERYTHING!!! Okay, but for real:

1. It has everything you could want in a TV show, drama, comedy, action, and fantasy. It has episodes for every mood I'm in! It has some of the greatest dramatic eps ever (The Body), Comedic Eps (Something Blue), horror episodes (Hush), and even a musical episode!
2. It has amazing characters, with major interesting flaws. It also has great and interesting ships. It's characters have cool backstories and great personalities. Bonus: It has great FEMALE and MALE characters! Yay equality!
3. It has an amazing and active fanbase. Love you all. ❤

Ceadsearc03

Potential
In no particular order:

1. Girl power! Strong female character. There was nothing else like it when I was a teen.

2. Tying into that, how unique it was when I was a teen (watching it when it aired) and how much it gave me. I could relate to it, it was the first fandom I really got involved in, I found a community online that I still have today that got me through a really rough time. Basically Buffy was there when I needed it.

3. Romance. I loved Bangel from the jump (which is funny because I started watching at the beginning of S3 so I didn’t even know what I was loving beyond chemistry) and I’ve never shipped another TV couple to that degree since or still.

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
1. Our super-hero is a girly girl and there’s no shame on that. Kicking ass while wearing a beautiful halter top? Of course! Dusting vampires without messing with your hair? Masterful!

2. Putting Riley aside, she had two romantic leads who are hot, powerful, immortals, and completely crazy about her. And yet, the mission always came first (yes, of course, there were some hesitations, but at the end of the day, she wasn’t defined by them… too much).

3. Fighting and living was a group effort, all of them made mistakes that are relatable, and happiness and fun were found between apocalypses (and maybe even while going through one).

Kratos

Potential
Agree with most reasons already mentioned in this thread, but here’s a few more:

1. The show was easy enough to follow. Good mix of MOTWs and seralized storytelling, something I miss about newer tv dramas.

2. Drama, humour, violence, romance, action, etc all have their place in the series but none dominate it. It got the right balance imo.

3. Despite its title, the fantasy stuff is just a small part of the show. I’m not a big fan of vampires, witches, werewolves, etc but I like them in this series and Angel. Maybe because they’re people first and supernatural beings second.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
1) Willow - one of the best character arcs of any show. Plus personally relatable.

2) Witty dialogue

3) Girrrl Power

Top Bottom