• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Bad Eggs, Assembly Required or Killed By Death, which one would you keep and ditch ?

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
So, between these three which one would you keep and which one would ditch ?

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
I adore Bad Eggs. I consider it to contain extremely arc-relevant material (with more repercussions than to just the next episode) that can't just be deleted. Too many important things going on in that graveyard scene (more relevant to Angel than Buffy, actually) to just delete. CONNOR! We learn not being able to have kids is something that bothers Angel. He's desperate for the family he isn't allowed to have and he wants Buffy to have all the things he can't. This is the first of multiple pre-Connor instances where he seems hung up on this aspect of what his vampirism has taken from him (see also The Prom and War Zone). It's also an example of Buffy knowing the reasons why the relationship is doomed, pretending none of it bothers her, denying she has a future because of her expected short lifespan, but wanting her fantasy of being a normal girl to the point of ignoring it all. She denies that she's bothered by Angel's inability to give her children, but we also see her covering visible disappointment with a ramble in that same exchange. This scene not only foreshadows the doomed relationship (both Surprise and the break-up speech alike), but also sets up Angel's own show's arc. "In Loving Memory", indeed.

Killed by Death is one of the scariest episodes of the series with one of the best creature designs. It is one of the most memorable MotW episodes for that reason. Also points for working in the Angelus cameos so they don't just feel contractual in an episode not about him, given tormenting the vulnerable is one of his M.O.s. Interestingly enough, the first draft of this script was written as a pre-Angelus episode that would have seen Angel rushing Buffy to the hospital; a scene which was repurposed in Graduation Day (not the only time this happened--see Cordy's Hero video being ripped from the unproduced Corrupt). Note that the original monster was also going to be an old lady monster who was pretending to be a patient and had killed Buffy's grandmother, not her cousin. Note the draft's similarity to the Plasmavore in Doctor Who's Smith and Jones!

Some Assembly Required is thus the weak link, though I find value in Angel/Buffy's graveyard argument ending with her falling in the open grave, stalker!Angel finding Cordy in a dumpster and Giles on a date with Jenny. One of my biggest niggles has always been that the actor playing Daryl might be the most outlandishly old-looking "teenager" in the history of the show and, even if Charisma also pushed the limits on believability, he didn't exactly seem like someone the Cordette-type popular girls would be going gaga over, no matter how great he was at football. The performance of Eric was possibly the creepiest Sunnydale High student!

I put forward Go Fish as an alternative to these for which episode to remove. The biggest crime is where it also sat within the season. You just don't sandwich that between masterpieces like I Only Have Eyes for You and Becoming!

Last edited:

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
All of these episodes would have been perfectly serviceable in S1. S2 is really dragged down by the filler content, which is mostly much weaker than the central episodes.

"Some Assembly Required" is probably my least favourite Buffy episode ever. The villains are awful. The worst part is when it tries to have a poignant moment when the monster watches his old friends on the football field. It doesn't work. Unlike the original Frankenstein monster, there is nothing sympathetic about this psychopath and the creeps that help him.

It's just tacky, shallow and messy. And it is such a let down after the seminal season opener.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would get rid of Some Assembly Required, I really like Killed by Death, so that would be my keep.

katmobile

Scooby
I think Killer by Death is a bit of season one relic but there are some good things about it and the villian's quite creepy so keep that one. Definately lose Go Fish.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I would keep Some Assembly Required, I seem to be only one lol.
I would ditch Bad Eggs, I like it but it's my second least favorite episode after Go Fish.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Of the three I find Killed by Death the most memorable.
It actually feels a bit slow at times but it has one of the best monster of the week in the show so I would keep that episode.

Some Assembly Required isn't the best episode perhaps but it has some good moments.
Especially between Giles and Jenny so I kinda like it.

Never been a big fan of Bad Eggs for some reason.
It's just one of those that doesn't really grab me so I would ditch that one.

/SK

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'll stand up for Bad Eggs, I love it. It's creepy and hilarious.
Killed by Death is also really good with a super creepy villain.
So, Some Assembly Required has to go. Besides, whenever I watch it I get "My girl" on my mind and walk around singing it for days. I don't really mind the episode though, it's a bit hammy and it's treated with a remarkable normalcy that a high schooler can reanimate corpses. Feels like, if done right, this could've been a longer plot. Though perhaps that is why we eventually got Adam.

BaskingINBangel

I'm busy basking.......
Keep Killed by Death.

I have nothing against Bad Eggs, but overall I think I just prefer KBD.

Definitely get rid of Some Assembly Required. I've never really liked this episode. And I think I like it less and less with every re-watch.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Killed By Death is underrated IMO. I don't think that's a bad episode. Bad Eggs gets a bad rap. SAR is easily the weakest of the three and feels like a cheap MOTW knock off.

telperion66

Potential
You know, I've got to disagree with Tricky on this one! Not that I don't respect his opinions because I do..

I really like 'Some Assembly Required'. Its simplistic, but has some really good stuff between Giles and Miss Calendar, also Angel is good here.

Bad Eggs is probably my least favourite of the three, I tend to skip it on re-watches, and I'm not a massive fan of 'Killed by Death' either but its not so horrific.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Bad Eggs is a good episode! Certainly more enjoyable than the drudgery of depression that is season 6 episodes. I mean, I don't, but if I did watch random episodes this would probably be one I'd be drawn to - @NileQT87 summed up a lot of the good things about it.
Killed by Death is okay but the pacing is off and it drags like wonkey shopping cart. Also too many kids.
Some Assembly Required is also just okay. It has some good scenes and is sad to see how hard Darryl's mother took his death. Seemed to be realistic to those who can't cope.

I wouldn't miss Killed by Death. There's not a lot there past the plot and the show is more than the plot (surprising to some, I know)

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
Some Assembly Required is difficult to defend objectively. There is good camp and there is bad camp and Buffy often straddled that line, but SAR is possibly the worst example of bad camp from any season of the show. The entire episode is one absurdity after another. For me, it dwells with episodes like Go Fish in the cellar of episode rankings.

I liked Bad Eggs. There were many scenes I liked and the concept was a little disturbing, in a good way. Also, it kept the campiness within reasonable limits. Killed By Death is a really good MOTW episode. People have offered valid reasons why above and I agree with them.

Mr Trick

Scooby
@AnthonyCordova The other thing with SAR is that the main story involving the nerds and the dead football guy just isn't very interesting. Pretty much every weaker Buffy episode is watchable because of how enjoyable the Scoobies are. But if you have a weak MOTW and supporting characters then it drags it down. Ted and IOHEFY are examples of better ones.

I'd definitely get rid of Some Assembly Required. Bad Eggs has all the fun, creepy feelings that I love about the first three seasons. Killed by Death isn't my favorite episode, but it's just not as slow moving as Some Assembly Required, the story line is more interesting, like that Buffy has to utilize other strengths and skills while she's down with the flu.

Dora

Scooby
None , although not strong Buffy episodes they are BTVS episodes unlike the trott of S6 and 7

Cohen

Hellhound
I just rewatched all 3 of these in the past few months. I watched KBD today. I really liked it this go round and remember the first time I watched it (I was 8) how scared I was of Der Kindersgard. I really do like the plot. I think it was a great filler episode that was genuinely horrifying. I also think it showcased each of the scoobies well, including how much Cordelia has become a part of the gang by this point. Bad eggs did a great job of setting up how much Angel and Buffy love each other, and was a genuinely fun MOTW episode. It was a great breather between the intensity of Ted and the two parter of Surprise/Innocense. SAR is very forgettable. It’s flip on classic monster of the week was okay. I think it was mediocre and I wouldn’t really miss it if it was taken away.

Mr Trick

Scooby
None , although not strong Buffy episodes they are BTVS episodes unlike the trott of S6 and 7

S6 and 7 are different. I don't think there's as many bad episodes in those seasons as the first couple. Its just that the storytelling for some is not as good. The episodes sort of blur into each other in those later seasons.

Dora

Scooby
S6 and 7 are different. I don't think there's as many bad episodes in those seasons as the first couple. Its just that the storytelling for some is not as good. The episodes sort of blur into each other in those later seasons.

I don't think S6 is worth talking about much, it should be, because it probably the best start of any Buffy season..... and yes the start of S7 was not bad , selfless stands out and conversation with dead people one of my all time favourite....but after that to much like the spike show and to little like BTVS

Top Bottom