• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Beginners Class 2 - Icon Colouring

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Class List

Kristine
MozYa - Complete
sweetescape - Complete
Airam
Rebecca
Aussie
Drusilla Rox - Complete
disturbedvanity
Blondie Bear - Complete

Hey guys, welcome to part 2 of my icon tutorial.

In this tutorial, we'll be working on colouring, and the different colourings you can get with different colour settings.

For this tutorial, I've used the following icon from my set of six, you'll need to choose one of the six you made to work with.

Firstly, we're going to take our icon and duplicate the base. For PSP, right click on the icon, and click 'Duplicate'. For PS, right click on the image in the layer views on the right hand side and click 'Duplicate Layer/Image'.

Set this layer to 'Screen'. Use the drop down menu in the layer history/views, which is one the right hand side for every program I believe, the default of which is 'Normal'. You'll get something like this:

Next, merge all the layers. Right click on the layers in the layer history/views, and click 'Merge All' or 'Flatten Image' depending on which program you use.

Now we're going to dulpicate that layer, which is now our base layer, by following the same instructions I gave earlier. We're going to set this layer to 'Hard Light' again using the drop down menu. You should get something that looks like this:

Now, you've made a very basic icon, which brings out the hair and the eyes, but leaves the skin pale.

Moving on, we're going to work with colour layers now.

Take your icon and open it in your program. Create a new layer and fill it with a dark blue. I used colour [HASHTAG]#2a314f[/HASHTAG]

PSP users, go to Layer - New Raster Layer. Use the bucketfill tool, which is in the tools list on the left hand side (It looks like a bucket spilling paint) Right click on the colour layer in the top right corner and type in the code above, with or without the #

PS users, go to Layer - New Fill Layer - Solid Colour, and again, type in the code I used above, with or without the #

Set this layer to 'Exclusion' using the drop down menu we used in the previous totorial. You'll have something that looks like this:

We're going to add another colour fill layer, using the same steps as before, only this time we're going to use a light blue colour, [HASHTAG]#aab7e8[/HASHTAG] and we're going to set it to 'Burn/Colour Burn' again using the drop down menu. You should have something like looks like this:

Merge the layers again using the steps we used before, and duplicate the base, again, using the previous steps. Set this duplicated layer to 'Screen' using the drop down menu. Merge your layers again, and you're done. You should get a nice purple-ish colouring like this:

A little more detailed than the last tutorial, but again, the basics of a simple icon.

Next, we're going to focus of Black & White.

Take your base icon again, and using the previous steps, create a new layer and fill it with [HASHTAG]#ffffff[/HASHTAG]. (Yes, white, lol) Set this to 'Colour'. As you can see, this is the easy way of getting a Black & White image. If you change the opacity, which is on the right hand side of each program, I think.

PS, you'll see an option that says 'Opacity' which will open another menu with a slide, which you can move to the percentage you want.

PSP, you'll see a little box, with 100 in it, and an arrow. You can move the arrow to the percentage you want.

Depending on the opacity you use, you'll end up with something that hopefully looks like one of these:

20% -

40 % -

50% -

75% -

100% -

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Ok, now we're going to take the icon where we set the white layer to 100%, so it's completely Black & White:

And we're going to create a new layer, and fill it with [HASHTAG]#ff0000[/HASHTAG]. We're going to set that layer to 'Exclusion' and set the Opacity to 50%. Result:

Looks drastic, right? Now, we're going to merge all those layers, and duplicate what is now the base. (Refer back to the previous tutorials, if you're still unsure) Set that layer to 'Overlay'. And there we go. Should look something like this:

This is great if you want an icon that's really different. You can play with the opacity of the white, red, and overlay layers, see if you can get any other effects or colourings. All these tutorials are playable.

Ok, back to our Black and White icon:

We're going to create a new layer and fill it with Red again, [HASHTAG]#ff0000[/HASHTAG]. this time, we're going to set this layer to 'Ligten'. Like this:

Merge those layers.

Duplicate the base and set it to 'Screen'. Result:

Create another new layer and fill it with [HASHTAG]#243062[/HASHTAG] and set that layer to 'Difference'. Merge all your layers and you're done. Result:

Again, this is something different that would stand out.

Back to our original image, whatever one you started with:

Duplicate the base and set it to 'Multiply'. It should look like this:

Create a new layer and fill it with =347100 and set it to 'Soft Light'. Like this:

Merge the layers.

Duplicate the base and set this layer to 'Screen'. Repeat this step. Merge your layers, and you should have something like this:

This is usually a good basis for somthing else, maybe textures or gradients, but we'll work on those next time.

For now, I want you to repeat these steps with your favorite icon from the six you made during my last tutorial, and repeat each step.

As always, any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I'll have to check, but I THINK Gimp has most of the same basic commands as Paint Shop Pro, so that's PSP.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
And incase I forgot to mention, which I apparently did (thanks, Kean) you have two weeks to complete this tutorial. :)

Mozzymandias

I'm back baby.
Black Thorn
Original Image

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon2.jpg

New Icons

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon2-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon3-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon4-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon5-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/____moz____/BB%20Art%20Tutorial/TaraIcon6-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JenniferAlice

I am absolutely lost. I don't know if it's because I'm using GIMP, but I can't find any of the menus and stuff you're talking about.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I'm out the class. Can't work GIMP! Score my name off.

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya
Okay so its due 2 weeks from the 17th of March right? I'll have mine done hopefully by Saturday then... but i'm using Gimp too, am I gonna get frustrated and lost like Spoons or does the tutorial work for Gimp too?

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Some of the commands are a bit different, but I managed to do it with GIMP. If you get stuck, let me know. Or Lyri. She helped Spoons.

Airam
Airam
excellent, thanks Blondie :)

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Those of you still to complete this tutorial, you know who you are.

You have until Wednesday April 1st to post your icons, or you'll be removed from the class.

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya
Okay so, I really want to stay in the class and I really want to be able to do this, I can't seem to be able to figure it out though! I'm using GIMP, opened up my icon went to "layers" and clicked on duplicate layer and it said there were now 2 layers. I think I found the drop down menu where I'm supposed to select "screen" but when I do that absolutely nothing happens to the image, same for when I select "hard light" from that same menu... so I have absolutey no idea what I'm doing wrong. I do have a bit of time tonight and I'm off tomorrow so I have time to make them before the deadline but I really can't figure out how to, so i don't know. If someone used GIMP to make theirs and can maybe PM me some help, that would be awesome. :)

Lyri
Lyri
Blondie Bear uses Gimp. Talk to her. :)
B
Blondie Bear
Give me a minute and I'll make you some screenshots and PM them to you.

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya
Alright I think I got it (big thanks to Blondie for her help :) ) With GIMP there isn't an "exclusion" setting so everytime the tutorial called for that I used "difference" cause well I didn't know what else to do and thats what google suggested :biggrin:

Original image:

(With the 2nd icon I wasn't sure if we were supposed to make it from the original or from icon 1, the hard light icon, so i did it with both although I think both look kinda odd like I did something wrong....)

2. (Original)

2. (hard light)

B
Blondie Bear
Yay! And I can't remember if I used "Subtract" or "Difference" for Exclusion, but you seem to have done okay.
Top Bottom