• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Beginners Class 2 - Icon Colouring

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Hmm I dont think I can send a PM to Lyri while she is banned so I will just write it here for her to see when she gets back. Im having computer problems and it crashes when I open GIMP or even try to upload photos, Im going to visit my dad tonight and see if he can fix it. So sorry :(

J

JenniferAlice

I'm the same, Aussie, GIMP keeps closing down when I try to use it, so I don't think I'll be able to do my icons either. Apologies. I hate GIMP.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Mine was crashing occasionally, but I just kept trying to open it--and did NOTHING ELSE while it was opening--and eventually it worked. I think it's just a fussy program. But hey, it's free.

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
I'm also not sure I got taken serious when I wrote Lyri when she was banned. But in case that wasn't clear, I was being serious.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Ok guys, I'm going to give you another week to finish this tutorial, otherwise, everyone who hasn't will be removed from the class so that we can move on.

For anyone who's using GIMP, YellowCrayon has very kindly translated these tutorials for that program.

Icon 1:
1. In the Layers window, click the duplicate button (next to the down arrow and the anchor). Set to Screen, using the drop-down box in Layers, above where it shows your layers. (Text next to it is Mode) In the image window, go to Images>Merge Visible Layers or Images>Flatten Image. Both work.

2. Duplicate layer, again. Set to Hard Light.

Icon 2:
1. Create a new layer. Click the white paper button next to the up arrow in the Layers window. Choose transparency.

2. Go to the colour box, and change the colour to [HASHTAG]#2a314f[/HASHTAG]. Click the paint bucket and fill the layer (click the icon). Set it to Difference. (Closest you can get by my count, but I'll include instructions for a way to attempt to recreate Exclusion at the end of this)

3. Add another new layer and fill with [HASHTAG]#aab7e8[/HASHTAG]. Set to Burn.

4. Merge layers.

5. Duplicate layer. Set to Screen. Merge layers.

Icon 3:
1. Create a new layer and fill with [HASHTAG]#ffffff[/HASHTAG]. Set to Colour. Underneath the drop down box is a slider bar labeled "Opacity." You can adjust the slider or type a number in. Change to the percentage you wish.

Icon 4:
1. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#ffffff[/HASHTAG]. Set to Colour, keep at 100%.

2. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#ff0000[/HASHTAG]. Set to Difference and set Opacity at 50%.

3. Merge layers, duplicate layer. Set to Overlay.

Icon 5:
1. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#ffffff[/HASHTAG]. Set to Colour, keep Opacity at 100%.

2. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#ff0000[/HASHTAG]. Set to Lighten Only.

3. Merge layers. Duplicate layer, set to Screen.

4. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#243062[/HASHTAG]. Set to Difference. Merge layers.

Icon 5:
1. Duplicate layer and set to Multiply.

2. Create new layer, fill with [HASHTAG]#347100[/HASHTAG]. Set to Soft Light. Merge layers.

3. Duplicate layer, set to Screen. Repeat. Merge layers.

Optional:

Instructions on how to recreate Exclusion in GIMP:

1. Top Layer: Set to Difference
2. Bottom Layer: Add Layer Mask (Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask>From grayscale copy of layer)
3. Bottom Layer: Mask to Selection (Layer>Mask>Mask to Selection)
4. Top Layer: Add Layer Mask (Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask>Selection)
5. Bottom Layer: Delete Layer Mask (Layer>Mask>Delete Layer Mask)

Y
yellowcrayon
If GIMP crashes, run it without any other programs, except say notepad with instructions. You could have too much running at the same time.
Octavia
Octavia
[No message]

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Thanks Lyri and YC, I will give it another go when Im not connected to the net and see if that will work, fingers crossed!!

Top Bottom