• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Best acting from each cast member?

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Title speaks for itself.

SMG in Innocence (when she finds out that Angel has 'changed'), Who Are You? (pretending to be Faith pretending to be Buffy), and The Body (for obvious reasons)
Eliza in Five By Five. She nailed Psychotic Faith. Her return in Angel Season 4 is proof enough that this girl was born to kick ass onscreen.
David Boreanaz as Angelus. It took him a season and a half to grow into the character of Angel, but he felt immediately at home playing Angelus.
All of Season 5 is one big acting showcase for Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker, but especially Lineage, A Hole in the World, and Shells. Denisof always gets me when he describes Fred in her dying moments ("she was shaking...")
James Marsters' is harder to pinpoint because he's normally so good, but Buffy Seasons 2 and 5 stick out in my mind as being his shining moments as the character. 'Fool for Love' and 'Crush' are two where I think he reached the peak of his performance.

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Amy Acker-- Hole in the World. Her death scene was so...emotionally excruciating for me

Sarah Michelle Gellar-- The Body. Very restrained, believable acting. I was holding my breath when she realized Joyce was dead.

Alexis Denisof-- Spin the Bottle. His confrontation with Gunn was chilling. Oh, and I'm DEFINITELY including all the brilliant, slapstick comedic moments...Alexis just killed it.

James Marsters-- Fool for Love. Basically, everything he did in this episode was brilliant...but the scene that really touched me was the end; he's storms over to Buffy's house, intent on killing her....as he emerges from the bushes, his face is fierce. However, as he looks at the tear-stained face of the Slayer, his entire demeanour changes. Without a word, he conveys concern, a little love, and a bit of sadness. Lovely.

Alyson Hannigan-- One Down. I'm sure I don't have to elaborate here.

Amber Benson-- Hush. She was a torrent of sweetness in a dark world...but her eyes lit the way.

Anthony Head-- Band Candy. Yep, Giles was a cockney bad ass. One of his finest moments.

Too late to edit the above post, so I'll just point out that the episode in which Alyson Hannigan was so brilliant is Villains. :p

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'll add some.

Amy Acker: "Getting Closer", "The Hollow Men".
Best villain in Dollhouse. Gave me chills.

SMG: "Helpless" (The reaction to Giles' betrayal), "Intervention". (Can you believe Buffybot is played by a human?)

Alyson Hannigan: Every single episode. Yeah I'm being irrational and I'm proud of it.

NB: "Buffy vs Dracula".

MT: "Blood Ties", "Tabula Rasa".

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Totally agree about Alyson! And oh my God...Nicholas as a latter day Renfrew was amazing.

TTFN

Townie
Emma Caulfield-The Body (when she is confused about Joyce's death)
SMG- Once more with feeling
AH- Conversations with dead people (when she is talking to the first as Cassie)
NB- Potential (when he talks to Dawn about how she is extraordinary)
C. Carpenter- Your Welcome ( I tear up every time I watch that episode of Angel)
Amy Ackers- A Hole in the world (I tear up every time I watch that episode of Angel)
DB- I will remember you (I tear up every time I watch that episode of Angel)
MT- Conversations with dead people

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Joss Whedon: Over the Rainbow. Without a word, our lord and master upstaged everyone as the dancing/prancing Numfar.

DB: Over the Rainbow. Remember Angel's complete joy at NOT bursting into flames? And his reaction when Lorne said, "Thanks mom."? The look of utter disbelief as he mouthed, "Mom?" Hilarious!

Christian Kane: Dead End. Lindsay and his evil hand confront the brass at W & H. Epic.

Alexis Denisof: Guise Will Be Guise. Wesley imitates Angel. Too funny for words.

Mr Trick

Scooby
SMG: Prophecy Girl "Giles I'm 16, I don't wanna die" - she really gets the raw emotions of Buffy at this point and hits note perfect throughout what is a rollercoaster of an episode for the character.

- When She Was Bad "Sometimes Don't you wish I would?" - SMG plays the vixen so well here, and really twists the image of Buffy in the first season around, but I like how again she shows the full range across the episode, and how its an unshowy performance (besides that dance of course;)), meaning that its harder to figure out just what is going on with Buffy, and also makes sense as its a very naturally emotionally experience she is going through.

- Ted How she sells the consquence of beliveing that she has killed a human is some of the finest acting across either show, the highlight is her body lanagurge the next day at school, by saying almost nothing she gets across the dead feeling inside, but also how cut off she is feeling.

Becoming Part 2 One of the all time emotionally climaxes to a Buffy season, and again simply through subtle facial expressions SMG sells it all perfectly.

Amends That speech at the end to Angel about staying and fighting etc.. In the hands of a weaker actress it would have been just over dramatic and cheesy, but Gellar grounds it, and gives it emotionally important and depth, basically she delivers it, like it was her last speech.

Earshot Two reasons, one because she manages to mix playful fun with torment during the scenes where she can hear everyone's thoughts, and then of course the way she grounds the whole thing during the speech to Jonathan in the clock tower, her speech is wonderful because she doesn't sugar coat it for his benefit, and yet is still quite sensitive.

Living Conditions This one doesn't get mentioned a lot, but its one of the rare times on the show that she gets to really embrace her comidic talents, and turn them up to eleven, its also funny as I was totally on her side:D

Who Are You? Enough has been said on this one, but yeah again Gellar flipping the image and getting to play the Vixen and having great fun with it too, but of course having to down play it at times to make it more credible, and surprising.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Great choices

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Living Conditions This one doesn't get mentioned a lot, but its one of the rare times on the show that she gets to really embrace her comidic talents, and turn them up to eleven, its also funny as I was totally on her side:D
I nearly died laughing at the end; when Willow was eating a sandwich, and Buffy gets that crazed look in her eyes.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I m always shocked by the high standard of the acting talent . SMG in just about everything ...but also for me her virtuoso performance was 'Who Are You' .

I really rate Nicholas Brendon in season 1-3 as well .

I totally agree with the OP about James Marsters ...much harder to choose . I m going with School Hard ... just because it's the defining moment for the character . Marsters turned a disposable role into an enduring supporting character with that performance , mostly with his bloody teeth in :p

'Makes me feel all manly' is one of my favourite Buffy scenes :D .

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
If I hadn't already added so many to my previous post, lol, I would have put Anya in there, too.

Her confusion in The Body - All of Selfless! - Her heartbreak in Hells Bells

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
David Boreanaz (Angel/Angelus) - There are certain actors that DB has great chemistry with. SMG is one of them, but Vincent Kartheiser and Julie Benz as well. To me, his best acting is with these actors that sort of push him to the next level. Therefore, I'd say Innocence, IWRY, Reprise, Epiphany, Lullaby, A New World, Home for him.

Alexis Denisof (Wesley) - Alexis was particularly excellent in seasons 4 and 5. He had great chemistry with Stephanie Romanov and Amy Acker. He was best in Spin the Bottle, Salvage, Shells, Not Fade Away.

Amy Acker (Fred/Illyria) - Amy was mind-blowing as Illyria. She was good as Fred, but her best job was really as Illryia. A Hole in the World, Shells, Not Fade Away are some of her best work.

Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) - Sarah shines most when she's being vulnerable yet strong, so Becoming, IWRY, The Body, Forever are some of the best episodes for her.

Stephanie Romanov (Lilah) - I think she deserves all the praise but she's very underrated. Lilah was always tough, but those small moments with Wesley are really when Stephanie had a chance to showcase her range. So, Deep Down, Salvage, Home are some of her best.

I feel like there are so many episodes I should have mentioned, but here it is...

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Good job. I'd agree with all of those.
Puppet
Puppet
You're right, shame on me for forgetting Romanov.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
SMG has amazing scenes and I think that she becomes a better actress throughout the seasons. I particularly like the scenes where she doesn’t speak and let her face say it all.

The first is at the end of “Bring on the Night,” she’s sitting on the couch, all bruised, completely terrified, almost catatonic, while the rest of the Scoobies discuss whether she’s enough or nor for defeating the Turok-Han. She looks almost defeated. Her expression says so much without saying a word at all.

The second is my avatar. At the end of “Showtime,” when she rescues Spike. It’s a bit of an interpretation of mine. But I see Buffy being at one of her most vulnerable positions, just having had the fight of her life with the Turok-Han, going through hell by realizing the power of the First, being entrusted with a bunch of girls that are beyond scared. But, when she is recuing Spike, she is only looking at him. Again, no words. I feel that she’s trying to say: that she made it through the day (or night), the world is breaking down, but she’s keeping her promise to him and telling him that she cares so much about him that she can barely hold back the tears.

JM is an amazing actor. He’s another actor that says so much without speaking. There are two scenes that might not be the most representative, but I just love his acting.

In Dirty Girls, when Faith is flirting with him. They’re having a conversation, Faith explains why she stayed in jail and tells him that it wasn’t that bad, they had a movie every other Sunday. When he asks which movie and she responds, all he needs to do is to raise one eyebrow, without words, to transmit the message “are you serious? That’s a crap.” Then Faith pushes the flirting, and as soon as he catches her drift, he smiles and looks down. No need for words, he got it. Faith pushes it more and sits by his side. And again, his face says it all, he’s enjoying the flirting, but not really going for it. And finally, when Buffy goes downstairs, you see her jealous, no need for words, he looks uncomfortable and puts some distance between him and Faith.

And the second scene is in “End of Days,” when Buffy confronts him about their night together. He obviously loved it but he's trying to downplay its importance. Buffy pushes him and, once again, his face says it all: looks up, almost in agony, and finally says that he was terrified. He opens up but asks her not to make fun of him because what he’s saying is the most serious thing that he has ever said. The response of Buffy about him not needing to be terrified completely changes his facial expression. He goes from being in agony to tilting his head, raising an eyebrow, looking directly at her with a glimmer of hope and asking her if she was there with him.

I admire any actor that can say so much without speaking.

Last edited:
KatrinaL
KatrinaL
SMG and JM are two of my favorite actors. They are masterful and say so much without using words.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I can't pick one for JM because he's just great all the way through, same for SMG though Anne should get a special mention just because of the way Buffy's eyes light up when she accepts her identity as the slayer again.

SG would be Oz's first departure

ASH- Band Candy

DB- Both as Angelus and IOHEFY

AH- Wild at Heart

NB- The Wish and The Pack

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
I think that Anya was outstanding in Selfless. She still shows a lot of resentment, but I felt that in this episode regret slowly became the biggest emotion. Her whole interaction with Xander is pretty good, I think that she finally takes responsibility for her actions and telling him that he cannot help her is a way of transmitting that.
It culminates with asking D'Hoffryn to sacrifice her life and then with her walking away from both D'Hoffryn and Xander, but being in so much pain for everything that happened. It's a truly heartbreaking performance of EC.

Giovanna

Townie
SMG has amazing scenes and I think that she becomes a better actress throughout the seasons. I particularly like the scenes where she doesn’t speak and let her face say it all.

JM is an amazing actor. He’s another actor that says so much without speaking. There are two scenes that might not be the most representative, but I just love his acting.

I admire any actor that can say so much without speaking.
Yes! Making the audience feel you without saying any word is something unbelievable, few actors can do that. These two are clearly first class actors 😍.

Top Bottom