• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Best Motivational speeches on BTVS

Twinkie

Townie
I love is the one Angel says in Epiphany which is sad in another way as this is the last time we see Kate and I was just starting to like her. "If nothing that we do matters then all that matters is what we do". I mean they are words to live by.

Angel6
Angel6
That’s the best one for me. It’s the heart of Angel the show, and the character.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Another vote for Spikes speech in Touched. It was really sweet.

Season 5's " The hardest thing to do in this world is live in it"

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I know that people tend to dislike a lot Buffy's speeches in S7, but they are good (in most cases). I really like the one from "Bring on the night."

I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of Hell and it's going to swallow me whole. And it'll choke on me.

We're not ready? THEY'RE not ready. They think we're gonna wait, like we always do, for the end to come but I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? We'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run do it now, because we just became an army. We just declared war.

From now on we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them and cut out their hearts, one by one, until The First shows itself for what it is. And I will kill it myself. There's only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil. And that's us.

Any questions?

Then again, they weren't ready and didn't have a sound plan, but I like the speech.

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
@r2dh2 that speech got me motivated again for the first time in over a year

r2dh2
r2dh2
Oh, I love this speech so much! She has very good scenes in S7.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
The speech from Never Leave Me, S7. Buffy talking to Spike:

You're not alive because of hate or pain. You're alive because I saw you change. Because I saw your penance.
Be easier, wouldn't it, it if were an act, but it's not. You faced the monster inside of you and you fought back. You risked everything to be a better man.
And you can be. You are. You may not see it, but I do. I do. I believe in you, Spike.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
We can't forget this one:

BUFFY
Anyone like to say a few words about
Chloe?

Nothing.

BUFFY (cont'd)
Let me: Chloe was an idiot.

This gets a few startled reactions.

BUFFY (cont'd)
Chloe was stupid, she was weak. And anyone who's in a rush to become the next dead body I bury, it's easy. Jus think of Chloe. Do what she did. And I'll make room for you next to her, and Annabelle.

Dawn looks around at the shocked, scared faces around her. Kennedy looks the most downcast of all.

BUFFY (cont'd)
I'm the Slayer. The one with power. And The First has me using that power to dig our graves.

Buffy punctuates the point by THROWING her shovel down. It CLATTERS to the ground. Willow flinches. Kennedy sees.

BUFFY (cont'd)
I've been carrying you. All of you, too far, too long. Ride's over.

A lot of people think this was a horrible speech. But it was necessary. The potentials had been treating their stay as an international pyjama party and they needed the quick, harsh wake-up call that things were going to get very bad very soon and that weakness had to be overcome quickly and not just accepted or they would all be annihilated. If their feelings were hurt then maybe they had better leave their feelings behind as long as the danger was there because they were all that was standing between the First Evil and his victory over the world where he would no longer be "the taunter" as Buffy had called him, he would be corporeal and able to do real damage without relying on intermediaries like Caleb.

Leo
Leo
Agree
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I agree. Buffy had to be hard. People were imploding. The world was ending. No one seemed to get that when the got pissed at Buffy

TheDarkAvenger

Champion
Sineya
I loved a lot of Angel's speeches. The one about the epiphany "If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do", the one about heroes "The world is harsh and cruel, but that's why there's us; Champions, we live as if the world is what it should be to show it what it can be", even the one he gave Buffy in Gingerbread "It's important to keep fighting....but we'll never win...that's not why we fight. We do it because there's things worth fighting for".

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Spike's reprise of Something to Sing About : a pathetic kind of hope, but honest, simple and real.
Also:
Spike's speech to Buffy in Touched
Buffy's speech in Chosen
Buffy's speech to Angel in Amends and to Spike in Never Leave Me
Don't know if I can call it motivational, but Xander's speech to Willow in Grave is also perfect.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Can't believe this hasn't already been mentioned, but Buffy's speech (of sorts) in Checkpoint.

Buffy: "Glory...came to my home today. Just to talk. She told me I'm a bug, I'm a flea, she could squash me in a second. Only she didn't. She came into my home, and we talked. We had what in her warped brain probably passes for a civilized conversation. Why? Because she needs something from me. Because I have power over her. You didn't come all the way from England to determine whether or not I was good enough to be let back in. You came to beg me to let you back in. To give your jobs some semblance of meaning. You're Watchers. Without a Slayer, you're pretty much just watchin' Masterpiece Theater. You can't stop Glory. You can't do anything with the information you have except maybe publish it in the 'Everyone Thinks We're Insane-O's Home Journal'. So here's how it's gonna work. You're gonna tell me everything you know. Then you're gonna go away."

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I've listed this speech multiple times, I'm surprised I haven't on this one. I love what she says about her friends, too, none of this "I've been carrying you and every victory is because of me" nonsense she'd say later.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I love the speech Angel gives at the end of Power Play:

"I need you to be sure. Power endures. We can't bring down the senior partners, but for one bright, shining moment, we can show them that they don't own us. You need to decide for yourselves if that's worth dying for. I can't order you to do this. I can't do it without you. So we'll vote. As a team. Think about what I'm asking you to do, think about what I'm asking you to give."

As for Buffy, I have to admit, I find her speeches a little tiring after a while, but I do like the one @Puppet mentioned from Checkpoint, it's a great assertion of her own power and her belief in those who have stood by her and I like that it's delivered to the Council, who have never really done anything for her.

Kratos

Scooby
Riley’s the wheel keeps turning speech to Buffy in As You Were. There’s just something about it that I find really inspiring, though it probably helps that I’m a Riley fan.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Xander and the "you're not special, you are extraordinary" speech in S7 when Dawn thought that she was a potential. That speech gets to me every time.
Ii think this is the most inspirational moment in the entire series, though 'are you ready to be strong' is up there for 'rah rah' motivation.. The thing about Xander's speech is that it has an emotional insight and poignancy that is without equal. It is deeply personal and exactly what Dawn needs to hear.

Top Bottom