• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Best Motivational speeches on BTVS

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I never thought of this as inspirational speech, but in my opinion, it is the truest, most powerful expression of grief in ANY medium, period. One of the most powerful moments of the series.
I think it's undermined by the fact that Anya is a former vengeance demon who has death in death and torture for almost 1000 years. There's no way she doesn't "understand" death.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I think it's undermined by the fact that Anya is a former vengeance demon who has death in death and torture for almost 1000 years. There's no way she doesn't "understand" death.
I think she understands death just fine - from a demon's point of view. It's the human point of view that gets her; she hasn't been human in over a thousand years and from the flashback, in Selfless there's no telling whether her parents are dead or not.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think she understands death just fine - from a demon's point of view. It's the human point of view that gets her; she hasn't been human in over a thousand years and from the flashback, in Selfless there's no telling whether her parents are dead or not.
Still think they could've worded her speech better.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Not sure exposure to death would yield understanding. For one thing, living as a demon seemed to preclude her understanding of human life in general. Frankly, though we all die, no one truly can "understand" death. When we experience loss (something that was very alien and new to Anya) most of us feel bewildered by the whole experience. One minute our loved one is animated and present, then the next, they are gone and their body is still and vacant. It is a truly uncomprehendable experience.

Last edited:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok, I didn't mean to use a quote that would turn it into a discussion, it's not a "yay!" motivational speech, more it keeps the other characters from breaking down. It got them going again, ready to face the funeral.

I really love Buffy's speech to Angel in Amends. The mix of hearing Angel talk about himself and letting us know his true feelings/thoughts about how he perceives himself and Buffy saying she knows all of that because she had experienced it, yet she chooses to have him in the world that way rather than no way really confirmed to me my own explanation of why she trusts him and loves him even after everything he did... because she knows how much good the human in him can do.

I also absolutely love the one from Bring On The Night, as well as the speech she makes to the Watcher's Council in Checkpoint.

Xander's yellow crayon speech to Willow - completely innocent and heartbreaking. Buffy's speech in Chosen was also a very good one. I also loved Buffy's cookie dough analogy.

And while this isn't a speech, I do have to say that one of the most empowering moments for me was in Becoming, Part 2 when Angelus has her pinned down on the floor and says ''No weapons, no friends, no hope. Take all of that away and what's left?'' and Buffy stops his attack and replies ''Me''.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I love 'Me!' It is so unexpected at just the right, dark moment... and because of it, so very powerful.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike's "It's kill or be killed here, take your bloody pick" speech.

Maybe not the most conventional of uplifting motivational speeches but it motivated Buffy and Willow to get off their arses and defend themselves against Hus.

Faded90

Potential
I
Spike's "It's kill or be killed here, take your bloody pick" speech.

Maybe not the most conventional of uplifting motivational speeches but it motivated Buffy and Willow to get off their arses and defend themselves against Hus.
I LOVE this quote. This quote is how I always feel about Empty Places/Touched when after they’ve kicked Buffy out and they’re in the basement thinking up a ‘so what’s the easiest thing we can do?’ And they basically quickly dismiss Caleb and the UberVamps as too hard. They absolutely HAD to take Caleb out, the y were just wasting time trying to think of an easy way out that didn’t exist. This is when I always think of this quote ‘it’s kill or be killed people, take your bloody pick’

Faded90

Potential
Buffy’s entire conversation with Ford in Lie to Me

Also I absolutely adore Jonathan’s speech in Conversations With Dead People. It’s oddly inspirational in a very sad way

JONATHAN (stops digging) No, I'm serious. I really miss it. Time goes by, and everything drops away. (Andrew stops digging, looks at Jonathan) All the cruelty, all the pain, all that humiliation. It all washes away. Andrew looks over Jonathan's shoulder and sees Warren standing there, staring at him. JONATHAN I miss my friends. I miss my enemies. I miss the people I talked to every day. I miss the people who never knew I existed. I miss 'em all. I want to talk to them, you know. I want to find out how they're doing. I want to know what's going on in their lives. ANDREW You know what? They don't wanna talk to you?all those people you just mentioned. Not one of them is sitting around going, "I wonder what Jonathan's up to right now." Not one of them cares about you. JONATHAN Well, I still care about them. That's why I'm here.

I think it rounds off Jonathan’s story perfectly. He’s always been so bitter about people not caring about him but now he’s realised that he cares and that’s enough

thrasherpix

Scooby
Heh, it's too bad Buffy didn't remember that rocket launcher she had when dealing with Caleb...even though she remembered it when she wanted to impress that boy by taking out Principal Wood with it. :D:rolleyes:

As for my favorite, this one to the Watchers in season 5:

Too bad she forgot to include a salary for herself, or, much better, when that one lady says they're just children, that Buffy didn't follow up her rebuttal by asking about their own field time.

And here she still remembers they're her friends, not her flunkies, who helped in the planning (not just blindly obeying orders to charge without a plan--something Buffy was very much against, save maybe for herself, in this season and before), the material gathering, and the actual execution (not to mention the many times they saved her life, including twice by Xander in season 1 alone). This is the Buffy I love.

Top Bottom