• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Best storyline in BTVS and Angel

Gnomie192

Townie
What are the best storylines featured in BTVS/Angel and why?

What are the worst storylines and why?

Priceless

Scooby
There are so many great ones. Spike's whole journey works for me of course. Other than that, Joyce's whole brain tumour story line, when we think she's ok and 'out of the woods' and then goes and dies on us. That's a killer story line. Dawn's appearance before we knew who she was is amazing and I applaud the writers for bringing her into the show like that.

The worst story line has to be Cordy/Connor and much of AtS Season 4. There are some great episodes in that season, and I loved Jasmine, but Cordy/Connor has to be one of the worst things a writers room has ever come up with and it puts a cloud over the whole season.

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Love this and complete.y agree!

telperion66

Potential
I think the initiative arc can be better than what we got

I think, as an arc on first watch, the "Angel turning into Angelus then getting his soul back in Becoming", and everything that fed into Buffy and Angel's romance during that season (2) is the most epic out of all the season arc's in the Buffyverse.

As a plotline, I thought that the Beast story in Angel season 4 was expertly executed, with some riveting episodic narration.

Antho
Antho
I agree on the Bangel part

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Angel becoming Angelus and Buffy being forced to kill him, and the aftermath, was the best. Second place Darla's pregnancy and sacrifice. Third place to Buffy sacrificing herself for Dawn. Fourth place Faith's defection.

Connor coming back from the Hell dimension I thought was the worst. That just could have been done better I thought. The Jasmine stuff I just didn't enjoy. I also didn't really enjoy the Potentials/Caleb stuff.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
As difficult as it is to pick just one, I would have to pick the S5 Glory/Key storyline from Buffy, as I think it's the best-written arc in the whole show and permeates every episode of the season in a way no other seasonal arc does. The worst (and to make it easier I'm only going with larger arcs) would have to be the second half of S4 when Adam takes over as the main Big Bad. I get that Lindsay Crouse left, but they could've picked basically any other replacement and it would've been better.

When it comes to Angel, I can't ignore that my most re-watched arc on the show is Angelus and Faith's return in S4, even if I'd love to pick the latter half of S5 or the beige-Angel of S2; the heart (and re-watch button) does not lie. The worst is, by far, the S3 stuff that isn't Holtz or Darla, which sounds weird but basically it means; Justine and Holtz's army of humans, the Cangel triangle with Groo, the Fred-Wesley-Gunn triangle, and so much more.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Angel losing his soul in Season 2 was a fantastic plot, and frankly, is the reason anyone remembers this show.

Watching it, Angel Season 4, prior to Faith's departure, was stunning. I mean, I remember being shocked the Beast survived his first episode. I mean, the season clearly had issues, but that part was pretty cool.

Season 5 is okay, I mean, aside from the high fantasy elements that never really get explained, and it now seems like they were making everything up as they went along.

JustJenna

Townie
Sineya
I think, as an arc on first watch, the "Angel turning into Angelus then getting his soul back in Becoming", and everything that fed into Buffy and Angel's romance during that season (2) is the most epic out of all the season arc's in the Buffyverse.
I completely agree. Nothing really tops that arc.

That said, I ink season three was overall a stronger season than season two. The introduction of Faith and her descent into crazy town, along with her daddy issues with the mayor, was absolutely spectacular.

And Willow's addiction storyline is up there as well. The end of Tabula Rasa just tore my heart out as did Seeing Red. Can you tell I loved Willow and Tara?

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
BTVS : The Angelus arc was the best & definitely the most memorable (Innocence, Passion, Becoming). The key storyline (S5) second for people like me who loves it.
The worst storyline is the Adam project.

ATS : The Beige Angel arc is amazing, Darla & Angel together are incredibly interesting & S2 has definitely some of the best episodes of the Buffyverse. I love the Jasmine set of episodes of S4 too. I really love the "right to have a choice".
The worst for me is the set of episodes of Darla being pregnant because I happened to like only the flashbacks with Holtz & it will lead to her death & the birth of Connor which I HATE lol.

Angel becoming Angelus in season 2 - in my opinion, you really have to be brave to take a beloved character and take him down this road while at the same time making your main heroine navigate the consequences of her choices and decisions. During that time, and during the time of the aftermath, the show really made me question my moral compass, as well as the characters. Buffy having to kill him while still loving him and allowing him back into her life after everything he has done really brings the I saw the best and the worst part of you and I choose both to life - choices like that, questionable ones, made her more human and closer to me. Relatable. And they were a learning experience for her. Additionally, Angel/Angelus was fascinating to me and something I have struggled to make peace with (and, in a way, still do) and I really enjoyed the Amends and seeing what he really thinks of himself, no matter how painful it was to watch.

I know that this isn't a storyline, however, it is something that is quite present in the show (especially in the earlier years) that I enjoyed quite a lot is Buffy struggling with growing up and accepting the Slayer within her as a part of her, rather than her job.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Best:
  1. Darla's return, pregnancy and death
  2. Angel/Angelus/Buffy having to kill Angel to save the world
  3. Faith's redemption arc on AtS
  4. The Dawn/Key/Glory storyline
Worst
  1. Spike getting a soul/redemption arc on BtVS
  2. Connor/Cordelia/Angel love triangle
  3. Gunn/Fred/Wes love triangle
  4. Adam/The Initiative