• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Best twist they stuck with.

darkspook

Potential
Buffy and Angel were known for their twists and shocks over the course of their show but one thing that really set them apart was the fact that they stuck with the twist.

What I mean is take Angel turning into Angelus in season 2. On most shows I feel that would have been sorted out and fixed at the end of one episode but by golly writers stuck with it. They continued and pushed the arc into some really dark places such as killing off Jenny at the hands of Angelus in brutal fashion. No off screen cuts or another vampire acting his orders no it was carried out by Angelus. There were other twists along the way Faith turning evil, Buffy's tramua at being brought back by her friends and so many more.

So what was the best twist they ever did that they stuck with?

T
thrasherpix
Also this one for me...I'd have taken it further, but what I'd have put in it wouldn't be suitable for family friendly TV.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
- Angel being a vampire was my first thought. That was a massive twist on first airing. And they stuck with it.

- Buffy is fighting a member of The Order Of Taraka and then suddenly the mysterious assassin declares 'I am Kendra, The Vampire Slayer!' Obviously this went on to play with the whole 'two slayer' deal which led to some of the best stuff of the series.

- And on that note; Buffy running into an alley to save nameless club-damsel from a vampire and to find that 'damsel' is beating the crud out of the vampire. Reaffirming the core idea of the series

- Over on Angel; Drusilla showing up to turn Darla back into a vampire as Angel watches on. Genius.

Priceless

Scooby
Is it considered a twist to kill Doyle in episode 9, the replace him with Doyle? It was a pretty shocking death. Then in the next episode they introduce an empath demon, who I was sure was going to be Doyle's replacement until we saw the rogue demon hunter. Wesley joining the team was one of the best moves the show made.

darkspook

Potential
Is it considered a twist to kill Doyle in episode 9, the replace him with Doyle? It was a pretty shocking death. Then in the next episode they introduce an empath demon, who I was sure was going to be Doyle's replacement until we saw the rogue demon hunter. Wesley joining the team was one of the best moves the show made.
Oh agreed the Doyle one was pretty big one given how well he was recieved by fans and worked with Angel and Cordeila. So to stick to it was pretty strong stuff.

Priceless
Priceless
I've just noticed Doyle replace by Doyle lol, obvs meant Wesley

darkspook

Potential
Having Spike fall in love with Buffy was a pretty big twist that by gosh they stuck. For all my rants on the subject of Spuffy they really took that idea and ran with it. It gave Spike who at the start of season 5 was at a bit of a loose end and kind of lacking direction a new lease of life. Certainly I don't think there were many of us watching 'School Hard' thinking I could see them together in a few years.

thetopher
thetopher
Post S12 and I'm still baffled, scratching my head at the coupling.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Giles bursting out laughing in front of a tense Buffy after she told him what happened when he was gone in Grave, it wasn't originally but whatever.

darkspook
darkspook
I mean its either laugh or cry hearing about what the group have been upto.

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
I'm not sure if this counts, but Awakening being a fantasy. It turned a cringe-worthy episode into something kind-of cool.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Killing off a beloved main character (Fred) only to have the actress stick around as the thing that killed her, not allowing the audience to grieve and move on. It was ballsy and unexpected, in most other shows Fred would've been 'turned back' within just one or two episodes.

Top Bottom