• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Question Best Way to Read the Comics?

IndianaSolo221

Potential
So...I started collecting the Buffy S8 issues around 2016, but I've put my collection on hold since then and I only have issues 1 - 5. About a year ago, I started asking around at the local comic book stores if I could find/buy the rest of the seasons, but I learned that the majority of stores around me either have very limited amounts left, or, they just don't sell them anymore :(. I looked into the issues on Amazon, but I'm still stuck trying to find a way to continue the comics without emptying my bank account.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to read the comics? I found my copies at various stores (including secondhand/thrift stores) but this isn't dependable, especially with most places being closed right now. Is there an easier way to order them or even read them online?

thrasherpix

Scooby
If I were to try this, I'd look for the graphic novel form. That is, where they combine some to all of the comics of a series into a single book.

Once that was found (assuming it can be), then I'd go to my library (though it's not open for me, but I know many other libraries are open) and ask them to get it for me (if they need the ISBN, then the ISBN-13 on Amazon is the number you want). Some libraries do this for free despite that it requires shipping & delivery between libraries, others insert a small fee (and it can change, even if your library does it free as a rule of thumb, they may have to borrow from one that charges to offset shipping expenses).

There's a new service now (I don't know how many libraries do this, but mine does it) that will even order it off of Amazon, and as long as you deliver it to them on time and don't mess it up (folded pages, stains, etc) then you won't have to pay anything, just fill out a form at the library. They then add it to the collection so you can reread it again later (at least until someone--hopefully not you--steals it).

I'd be surprised if volume 8+ didn't have graphic novel forms which combined individual issues into one book as I've come across other Buffy comics that that do this (and it's also a great way into tricking fans into buying something again that they already have).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Try Ollie's Bargain Outlet. They were selling the omnibus collections a few years back, you may get lucky and find something. Hoopla used to have the Dark Horse run, until Boom took over. The S8 motion comic is still for sale on Amazon, you may be able to track down a copy of that.

Priceless

Scooby
My library has all the IDW Angel library editions on digital but none of the Buffy comic, which is annoying :(

palabravampiress

Bidet of Evil
Black Thorn
I just got the Season 8 Omnibus Volume 1 from my library, and that was a really convenient format. I did have to ILL it, though.

Pro tip: if you visit www.worldcat.org, you can search for any title. Then, input your zip code and find nearby libraries that carry that title. It saves you from needing those aforementioned deep pockets to get your hands on a title. Don't hesitate to check with your local library. Even if they don't carry the title currently, there's a good chance that they are part of a consortium that may carry the title, can ILL the title for you, or may be willing to add the title to their collection.

TriBel

Scooby
It saves you from needing those aforementioned deep pockets to get your hands on a title.
I have to be honest - your solution is more feasible than mine. Mine involved building a time machine and travelling back to 2017. Yours is neater, probably quicker and definitely more eco-friendly.😏 I worked in a library sometime last century but it's been that long since I used one I'd forgotten such places existed.

Top Bottom