• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Big Finish teasing Buffy/Angel audio adventures

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain

Those of us who are Whovians may be aware of a certain company called Big Finish who has been making Doctor Who, Torchwood, Dark Shadows, etc... canon audio adventures for two decades.

Well, they either just trolled the Jossverse hard, or the fact that Anthony Stewart Head, Juliet Landau, James Marsters and apparently Amber Benson have all recorded for them (not to mention the notable franchise crossover cast already present on screen and Russell T Davies being open about the influences of BOTH BtVS/AtS on his revival) has put the Jossverse in their franchise crosshairs. They've been trying for quite a long time to not just be the Doctor Who company, so this would be a huge coup for them.

Could we see perhaps a Companion Chronicles-style (which allows narration and character introspection) roll-out of willing cast members with episodes set during various points through the shows (as well as flashbacks for our immortals) or could we perhaps eventually get a real continuation with the full casts?

I certainly trust the Big Finish writer stable with putting out a product that respects the characters and actors in a way that some of us feel burned about, given all the talk of recast reboots, comics that wipe out continuity and comics that trashed beloved characters. I'm certain there are piles of Whedonites in the writer stable and likely a whole lot of DW actors who might be cameoing (just as they do in Dark Shadows). Watchers' Council, anyone? LOL. Even a Tales of the Slayers/Vampires line (with occasional familiar voices) could be kind of cool. It also spares us some of the dodgier tendencies of Joss Whedon where he sometimes doesn't feel truly invested anymore in his old creations. Big Finish does nostalgia and might be more willing to do a project that appeals more to the diehard fanbase (ones that pay closer attention to characterization and continuity ahead of shoehorning things that don't quite make in-universe sense into jarring topical messages).

Big Finish also has a significant track record of taking characters/actors who were perhaps not treated well in their original eras (or who are often overlooked) and giving them more deserving material. Even significant and well-loved guest characters who might not have much in the way of screen time or focus will sometimes get their own spinoffs or character pieces to flesh them out!

Interestingly, they seem to be tying this in very specifically with AtS' 20th anniversary and specifically showed the AtS cast (which is definitely an interesting/unusual choice over making it about BtVS). If ever there was a golden opportunity, it would be getting the license and telling the story immediately from the closing seconds of Not Fade Away. And the actors don't have to worry about how old they are, given Big Finish has a stable of icons that includes significant octogenarian and even nonagenarians playing roles they began over 50 years ago in some cases.

Admittedly, they've been dipping into the idea of recasts for dead cast members more and more (sort of started with Frazer Hines pulling double voice duties on both Patrick Troughton and Jamie--and doing it so well they stopped giving him redundant narration bits in his own accent saying that the Doctor is speaking!), which is sadly something the Jossverse might have to grapple with (Glenn Quinn and Andy Hallett, most notably, but there are also others like Robin Sachs if something like a young/old Ripper project happened). The Firefly property would also have the same situation.

Big Finish is good stuff. Getting the BtVS/AtS licenses would be STUNNING for this company. And they have a list of actors they already have on their payroll whom I'm sure are the ones talking it up (Juliet Landau has actually reacted to this tweet and James Marsters has a big TW release about to drop). I've actually been thinking about it long before I saw this tweet, especially given the inroads the company already has. I would gladly trade in the comics for Big Finish audios any day. And please disregard that failed continuity. PLEASE.

It might take a while to get David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar on board, but David has been shocking the fandom lately with AtS' 20th anniversary news (not to mention casting Kirsty Swanson in SEAL Team just recently and commenting to her on the Buffy/Angel factor!) and his unexpected BtVS reunion show (fandom has been fibbing for years about whether or not he cares just because he doesn't make a living off of conventions). Gellar used to be the impossible one for voice-over work (she was the one and only to be recast for videogames and the cartoon), but she, too, seems to have warmed up to the franchise.

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Big Finish has done some superb Doctor Who story lines that fill in 'blank spaces' in the Whoverse; specifically I've really enjoyed Paul McGann's extended run as the Doctor.

This is really great news for those who want more quality stories told in the 'prime' Buffyverse and not the current reboot.

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
It would cool to hear the cast together again, but I have to reservations. 1) If we're doing something with the original cast, I would prefer to have some of the original writers involved too. 2) There is already a ton of tie-in material, mainly from IDW and Darkhorse. Like, I'd love a Buffy/Angel reunion, but they already did that in the comics, and it was less than exciting.

It certainly has the potential to be a lot of fun, though.

My biggest hope is still that one day, when Aly and Seth are old, gray and blue-haired, they will shoot a Willow/Oz reunion scene in Istanbul.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If they did do this, then someone should then animate the audio dialogue so we would actually have a new Buffy thing to watch.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Big Finish has actually done animation projects before (McGann's Shada and Bernice Summerfield). They've actually been floating whether they should do more. Given that 97 episodes of '60s Classic Who are still lost, but have audio, the BBC is busy trying to animate those first.

Decades from now they'll have thousands of audio stories to play with if they want to make cartoons that may feature a lot of cast no longer with us. There's a reason Tom Baker is high-priority for getting as much recorded as possible with a cache that will likely have releases years after he's gone.

Actors who barely tolerate being in the same room as each other (like long-ago ex-marrieds Tom and Lalla Ward, or BtVS' situation with Nick Brendon) or live far away from the majority of the cast (Tony Head) that may use studio time for reunions with old friends can be placed in conversations with each other regardless of location.

Big Finish might be willing to animate something (some fans surely might), but the audio experience is actually great and you get used to it. It's a lot more than a simple audiobook. There's a full audioscape of music and sound effects (you would certainly be hearing those familiar big cat roars and morph sounds from our vamps, along with lots of loud punches). The actors don't just dryly read. Even semi-narrated Companion Chronicles (which are amazing for getting character introspective thoughts) usually have a guest voice or two and a full soundscape, whereas full-cast is like listening to a full episode of the show with all the post-production included. It's a full performance. They always have 'making of' featurettes with actor/writer interviews at the end, too.

Last edited:

genghiskhan

God among men
Honestly I would be so happy if they did this, especially with the original cast.
The Doctor who ones are very good quality, it would definitely be a good thing if they created these, especially if they get the buffy-speak right.
It would be pretty fun to fill in some of the gaps in time in the series (even though there are comics for that a lot aren't considered canon anyway), it would be interesting to see between seasons 5 and 6 with the scooby gang and I bet there's other places where audio dramas could be used to fill in gaps.
To be honest, I wouldn't even mind if it changed some of what is considered canon in the comics either.

Top Bottom