• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Bookclub introduction, hopes and predictions

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Hi guys! The time has finally come - Slayer has been released outside of the US finally! Join us as we read this new branch of the Buffyverse!

I've decided to divide the book into four parts, roughly 100 pages each
Part 1: chapters 1-8 (pages 1-108)
Part 2: chapters 9-16 (pages 109-198)
Part 3: chapters 17-24 (pages 199-300)
Part 4: chapters 25- epilogue (pages 301-401)

I will post discussion threads for these where we can discuss the book in installments and be careful not to spoil each other, even if someone is a fast reader.
The book looks pretty easily read, so I'm sure plenty will woosh right through it :)

Now, what are you guys hoping for in this book?
Do you have any predictions?

The Goodreads description reads:
Into every generation a Slayer is born…
Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to be when you grow up at the Watcher’s Academy, which is a bit different from your average boarding school. Here teens are trained as guides for Slayers—girls gifted with supernatural strength to fight the forces of darkness. But while Nina’s mother is a prominent member of the Watcher’s Council, Nina has never embraced the violent Watcher lifestyle. Instead she follows her instincts to heal, carving out a place for herself as the school medic.

Until the day Nina’s life changes forever.

Thanks to Buffy, the famous (and infamous) Slayer that Nina’s father died protecting, Nina is not only the newest Chosen One—she’s the last Slayer, ever. Period.

As Nina hones her skills with her Watcher-in-training, Leo, there’s plenty to keep her occupied: a monster fighting ring, a demon who eats happiness, a shadowy figure that keeps popping up in Nina’s dreams…

But it’s not until bodies start turning up that Nina’s new powers will truly be tested—because someone she loves might be next.

One thing is clear: Being Chosen is easy. Making choices is hard

I'm very curious about the line "thanks to Buffy... Nina is not only the newest Chosen One..."
I wonder what Buffy will have actively done to either create Nina's slayerhood, or make sure that she's the last Slayer...

This seems like a set up for a series, so I'm curious about how they'll get around that "last" Slayer part.

Mostly I'm hoping this will be a fun read and that I'll want to continue with the series!

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I hope so too, it is available for order in your region now right? Or did I miss another release date :)
It is available but my delivery is just taking forever. Normally when I order from the UK it is delivered within 3 days, however it is taking its sweet, sweet time. I will probaply get it on Tuesday or something.

Spanky
Spanky
So like... did the demon do to you what it did to Buffy?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I relented. Bought it. Not committing to actually reading it because when it comes to teenage fiction it's like I have narcolepsy or something. But...

Foxy
Foxy
Yaaaay! Already looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I'm a bit concerned that this will come off as unoriginal. It just sounds a lot like a lot of other stories lol.

Spanky
Spanky
The first page or so that I read seemed that way.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Mine came a few days ago but I have yet to crack a page. I'm not busy tomorrow, so maybe I'll at least get through the first of the four parts :)

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
I've got it :)

Mostly I'm hoping this will be a fun read and that I'll want to continue with the series!
Yep, me too. I don't think I could stand another monotonous YA book.

I'll most likely start reading it within the next few days :)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I finally got the book and I am on chapter 7 so I will post my thoughts soon. This book reads like a dream!

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
This book reads like a dream!
Lol, I'm like half-way through now I can barely force myself to pick it up, so in my case I feel like the dream turned into a nightmare :p
Might be a slight overstatement though, I will see it through and still have some hopes for it (the writing isn't bad, so it's not like it's torture).

Foxy
Foxy
Curious to see if my opinions change, but so far I'm enjoying the book. I actually looked up if the second book has been announced already :P

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
Haha, yeah, I can already say with 100% certainty that I will not be buying book 2

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Oh lord there’s a book 2?
Top Bottom