• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Boom Comics officially announces Buffy comics reboot, coming January 2019

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I took Drusilla as being Mistress as in the Headmistress, especially as it appears they are at school and she is sorta dressed like one. She runs the school which is located on the hellmouth, etc. Maybe Spike is her janitor.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
From bleeding cool:

Something interesting is going on with the variant covers to the upcoming Buffy The Vampire Slayer comic from Boom Studios. And a few little birdies – or maybe Demon Birdies in this case – have tipped Bleeding Cool off to what’s going on with the new series

The first sign of something secretive came during the announcement of the series at NYCC. The variant cover by Royal Dunlap featured an unidentified someone who fans speculated could be Kendra or perhaps the rumored black slayer character in the upcoming Buffy reboot TV series. No one from BOOM! Studios commented about it and we all know they’ll send out a press release to announce they’ll send out a press release.

Then we saw this cover by Celia Lowenthal to the second issue and it became clearer that there was something else going on here.

Well, here’s what we’ve learned: every issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer will have a variant cover by a different artist that features the debut of all new Slayer from times past. So not only will these variants probably already be fetching a higher price because they’re, well, variants but now those covers will be first appearances of major new characters in Joss Whedon’s biggest pop culture creation.

The last time I remember a publisher doing this was the first appearance of Gwenpool on the cover of Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars #2. And we know how well that one continues to sell to this day.

Expect to see these covers in high demand from the die-hard Buffy fans and some of those speculators out there. And for this program to continue through 2019, with these Slayers likely making their debut in the comics pretty soon as well.

Sineya
All new slayers from times past? It sounds like they will not be able to generate much momentum for stories if they are about different people. It may turn out to be like Dollhouse where there is a different assignment each week that completely reboots the character but in this case they are distinct people. Perhaps this will just be the covers but a comic is supposed to be about the entities that show up on the cover. Maybe I am not clear on how this is going to work, but if it is what I think, it's not going to work. Time will tell.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
if it is what I think, it's not going to work.
I don't think it's what you think it is. It's just a variant cover is all. Nothing to do with stories. Granted, they may be introduced later depending on the popularity of a certain variant. But it's just a "fun" cover that shows different slayers. It's a ploy to drive sales and charge extra for them.

Top Bottom