• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Brits outraged by U.S. cartoon

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
"The Prince," a new satirical U.S. animated series from one of the producers of "Family Guy" that portrays Britain's royal family as a collection of dysfunctional and egotistical tea drinkers raising their young children to be spoiled and brutish tyrants, has sparked outrage in the United Kingdom.

The official trailer, released by HBO Max on Wednesday, depicts Prince William with a head shaped somewhat like a butternut squash, while his youngest son, 3-year-old Prince Louis, is transformed into a cockney rebel who runs around the palace grunting demands. The series was made available to stream in the United States on Thursday.

Queen Elizabeth II is characterized as a mafia boss dripping in pearls and gold, while heir to the throne Prince Charles is painted as a power-hungry mommy's-boy who has waited far too long to become king.

Critics say the harshest portrayal, however, is that of 8-year-old Prince George, the eldest child of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The young prince, who is third in line to the throne, is presented as an entitled child who is worried about his weight and harbors ill feelings toward his siblings.

On social media, many slammed the show as "wrong" and "disgusting," complaining that the series will fuel hatred toward Britain's royals and young members of the family who may one day learn of the project's existence. Britain's newspapers also condemned the series, with the Daily Telegraph writing that its creators present young George as "spoiled, sneering and sharp-tongued." The Daily Mail posed the question: "Should children be 'off limits' in comedy?"

Richard Palmer, royal correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, joined the criticism this week, tweeting: "Lampooning a little boy will not go down well with some. Would a US company commission a similar series about a US president's child?"

Creator Gary Janetti has defended his representation of the monarchy, urging people to embrace it as parody that serves to entertains audiences. The cast of "The Prince" includes Orlando Bloom as the voice of Prince Harry, Lucy Punch as Catherine and "Game of Thrones" star Sophie Turner as Princess Charlotte.

source

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
They shouldn't take it personally, everything sparks outrage in the Telegraph and Mail.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I don't think that its 'the Royal family' being targeted that is causing the outrage- we Brits used the have the brilliantly satirical Spitting Image which savagely lampooned all our famous people including all the Royals- but yeah, making fun of children who have not chosen to make themselves the spotlight is...a little scummy.

I think many royals expect to be the but of many a republican joke but targeting their kids hasn't actually been done before.

Also timing is an issue; the US might be aware that they have just elected the Crypt-Keeper to the most powerful office in the land; a man who lurches from incoherent ramble to creepy whisper to grumpy exclamation to answering a question with a weird non-answer to regularly quoting Marxist and fascist doctrine.
So some self-awareness might no go amiss when criticizing another country's elites.

everything sparks outrage in the Telegraph and Mail.

*pfft* And we all know that iron-skinned leftists are above such petty reactions.

KaitKat
KaitKat
In all fairness we have American Dad created by the same people that makes fun of all of us, I do agree though making fun of kids ages 3-8 is crappy.

Nearwild

Townie
I don't care much for the royals, if they exhibit poor behaviour then they are fair game for mockery. But satirising kids? They've barely developed their personalities yet, so any show with them as characters is purely whatever the writers decide on, and they apparently went full nasty with it. Just seems cruel and ugly.

Faded90

Scooby
As a Brit I find this mostly hilarious but I really don’t like the portrayal of a child worried about his weight. Im hoping that’s just a one off joke and not a long running thing with the character

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
This is just a continuation of the office of the Court Jester. I hope people understand this is a cartoon, not a documentary.

Priceless

Scooby
I thought the trailer was funny. My only issue is that those are really children they are parodying. The adults are fair game, but to parody children in that way just seems wrong. They may be wealthy and privileged etc., but kids are kids and will have enough pressure on them without having to see themselves portrayed in such a way.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
"The Prince," a new satirical U.S. animated series from one of the producers of "Family Guy" that portrays Britain's royal family as a collection of dysfunctional and egotistical tea drinkers raising their young children to be spoiled and brutish tyrants, has sparked outrage in the United Kingdom.

The official trailer, released by HBO Max on Wednesday, depicts Prince William with a head shaped somewhat like a butternut squash, while his youngest son, 3-year-old Prince Louis, is transformed into a cockney rebel who runs around the palace grunting demands. The series was made available to stream in the United States on Thursday.

Queen Elizabeth II is characterized as a mafia boss dripping in pearls and gold, while heir to the throne Prince Charles is painted as a power-hungry mommy's-boy who has waited far too long to become king.

Critics say the harshest portrayal, however, is that of 8-year-old Prince George, the eldest child of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The young prince, who is third in line to the throne, is presented as an entitled child who is worried about his weight and harbors ill feelings toward his siblings.

On social media, many slammed the show as "wrong" and "disgusting," complaining that the series will fuel hatred toward Britain's royals and young members of the family who may one day learn of the project's existence. Britain's newspapers also condemned the series, with the Daily Telegraph writing that its creators present young George as "spoiled, sneering and sharp-tongued." The Daily Mail posed the question: "Should children be 'off limits' in comedy?"

Richard Palmer, royal correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, joined the criticism this week, tweeting: "Lampooning a little boy will not go down well with some. Would a US company commission a similar series about a US president's child?"

Creator Gary Janetti has defended his representation of the monarchy, urging people to embrace it as parody that serves to entertains audiences. The cast of "The Prince" includes Orlando Bloom as the voice of Prince Harry, Lucy Punch as Catherine and "Game of Thrones" star Sophie Turner as Princess Charlotte.

source
And how is that any different than this (British show)...

fauxindigo

Scooby
hah the trailer made me laugh. Prince George reminds me of Stewie from Family Guy.

The Brits taking offense to it just goes to show why they're so fun (and easy) to make fun of- they're self-important and the "royal" family is disgusting. There shouldn't even be "royalty" this day and age. They could essentially end world hunger and homelessness yet they do nothing but build upon their already insane wealth. Not to mention, I personally think they are more evil and sinister than anyone realizes but we won't get into that.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But satirising kids? They've barely developed their personalities yet, so any show with them as characters is purely whatever the writers decide on, and they apparently went full nasty with it. Just seems cruel and ugly.

I think the real sign of whether the show is perhaps just a touch in bad taste or whether it's deliberately going after the kids is how it portrays Meghan Markle. Brits hate her and have developed a serious dislike of Harry too because of their behaviour towards the Queen and the rest of the royal family. The trailer shows Harry as a bit thick but if they try and portray Meghan as the "sympathetic long-suffering wife" figure that you tend to see in cartoon (where there's no reason for the wife to stick around other than she loves her husband so puts up with his buffoonish behaviour) then it would suggest they are deliberately taking a nasty swipe at the royal family and especially the kids.

As a Brit I find this mostly hilarious but I really don’t like the portrayal of a child worried about his weight. Im hoping that’s just a one off joke and not a long running thing with the character

I agree. The trailer did look like the show could be funny, but it would be bad form if they made George's weight a running joke, especially after some trolls were mocking him for wearing a suit to watch the football.

hah the trailer made me laugh. Prince George reminds me of Stewie from Family Guy.

Even sounds like a knockoff variation of him too. It's why I think the show just might be the right side of satire where the kids are only included because they're part of the royal family (George is 3rd in line to the throne) rather than be a deliberate targeting of the kids. Again though, I think the intention will be made clearer on whether it was made in good humour or a malicious swipe when it shows how they're portraying Meghan in the series.

They could essentially end world hunger and homelessness yet they do nothing but build upon their already insane wealth.

The same could be said of any virtue signalling celebrity that lectures the public on whatever "social issue" is flavour of the month for the woke mob. At least the royal family (excluding Harry and his wife) mind their own business.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
yeah but the wealth of the royal family is BEYOND any wealthy celebrity or power couple.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
where the kids are only included because they're part of the royal family (George is 3rd in line to the throne) rather than be a deliberate targeting of the kids.
George is like the star of the show and it pretty much centers around him. That's why it's so funny.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Would a US company commission a similar series about a US president's child?
That's what I was thinking while reading this article. Ever since Chelsea Clinton, there has been an unspoken rule that the children of the presidents are off-limits. They don't choose their position, so it's not fair to mock them for it. I know much less about Malia and Sasha Obama, and Barron Trump, than I do about the royal kids.

The young prince, who is third in line to the throne, is presented as an entitled child who is worried about his weight and harbors ill feelings toward his siblings.
And fat-shaming is unacceptable no matter what the show's about.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
there has been an unspoken rule that the children of the presidents are off-limits.
Tons of people made jokes about Barron Trump.

fat-shaming is unacceptable no matter what the show's about.
I don't think fat shaming and making jokes about a person's weight will ever go out of style. It seems the one safe thing that you can still get away with making jokes about.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
There is a difference between the Daily Mail being outraged and the British public being outraged.

Using real children as characters could feel a bit sleazy, but its a silly over the top cartoon so you can get away with more without it feeling mean

Also timing is an issue; the US might be aware that they have just elected the Crypt-Keeper to the most powerful office in the land; a man who lurches from incoherent ramble to creepy whisper to grumpy exclamation to answering a question with a weird non-answer to regularly quoting Marxist and fascist doctrine.
So some self-awareness might no go amiss when criticizing another country's elites.

I think us Brits should be the last people to lecture others about this. Having the likes of Gordon Brown, Jeremy Corbyn, Theresa May and Boris never stopped us from poking fun at other countries !

thetopher
thetopher
I wasn't lecturing. Just pointing out that clown-world America shouldn't be throwing stones.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Using real children as characters could feel a bit sleazy, but its a silly over the top cartoon so you can get away with more without it feeling mean
Right, I mean, only watched the first episode but there was nothing that felt "real" about the George character. Not once did I think, "he must really be like this" just because how they portrayed him was ridiculous.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
So maybe the new film studio just north of London could make a film dissing the Americans who founded the rules that Americans live by. That'd equalize the ridicule in the film V for Vendetta.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Review of the 'funny' cartoon, for anyone who is interested:

Warning: mild language and spoilers for this great show.

Top Bottom