1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Article BtVS S8 - Buffy Season 8 Is Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by smgismyqueenjpg, Sep 3, 2017.

1. smgismyqueenjpg

smgismyqueenjpg BuffyPhile

Black Thorn
    A year or so ago, I read a Spike/Spuffy hater saying that Joss Whedon had said the “comics were just fanfiction”, without giving a source (as always). Now, I’ve finally found the quote:

Talking more about the Buffy comics, Whedon addressed the “Buffy and Angel **** a universe into existence” storyline, saying, “It’s Brad Meltzer who turned the comic into fanfic.” He laughs, and adds: “Every writer comes with their own agenda — I think Brad asked how many DC references he could make. Drew [Goddard] did the Japanese arc, which is a big favorite of mine. He loved writing Dracula — the silliness of that, and the giant Mecha-Dawn. We had the most fun breaking that stuff together. Getting their voices into the story is fun. And sometimes you bring the sexy — because we’re people.” July 22, 2013

Source: io9

Reading what Joss said in context, it’s clear he isn’t saying that Season 8 is “fanfiction” - he’s talking about one particular storyline, when “Buffy and Angel **** an universe into existence”, and he jokes about how their spacial encounter was depicted by Meltzer (which certainly was something that was approved by Joss), adding that “sometimes you bring the sexy, because you’re people”.

That’s soooooooo far from “Joss said S8 is fanfiction”!

2. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    Spike is not all that prevalent in Season 8, and correct me if I'm wrong but there was no Spuffy. Why do you say that this person who said this was a Spike hater? I happen to think that what Joss says here is very telling, while I wouldn't go as far as calling Season 8 fan fiction (honestly I think there is a great deal of FF that has done a much better job at post NFA than this comic) JW seems to recognize the absurdity of the Twilight story arc at least in part and he seems to indicate that Brad was at the driver's seat of it.

Puppet likes this.
  3. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I just saw that post on tumblr and unless you are Gite63 (which I doubt), then you just copy-pasted someone else's thoughts without giving them the credit/putting the source.

As for the topic of this thread, I don't have much thoughts on it and don't particularly care if Joss said it was fanfiction or not. It's not going to make me change my mind about the comics.

GwenRaiden likes this.