• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

BtVS Season 5 Rewatch

W

WillowFromBuffy

Weight of the World aka. Orpheus ala Sunnydale

So, one again we go back to Buffy's original trauma, which incidentally coincided with her awakening as a slayer, namely the disintegration of the nuclear family she grew up in. Hank does not appear often, but he really casts a long shadow on the show. The only thing that remains of that family now is Dawn, and the only way Buffy can keep their family together is by adopting the role of caregiver, which is no small task so soon after Joyce's untimely death and with a hell beast at their heels.

Glory gives her amazing "chicklet speech," which harmonises well with Angel's pep talk to Faith in "Consequences." The only way to avoid to see the world like Glory does is to maintain strong bonds to other people, family and friends. If we loose all the ones we care about, the world becomes meaningless.

Buffy's perceived failure is heartbreaking. The end of this season illustrates how it is difficult of fight for an ideal. Buffy first and foremost fights for the people she loves. It is like what Doyle explains to Angel in "City of" about being connected. A hero cannot sustain herself on Giles's pragmatism. It will make her cold and cynical. Granted, Giles may save the world from a future catastrophe when he kills Ben.

Willow is the hero! Never forget!

Spike looks like he messed his pants when he saw Xander thrust his sword into Doc.

I know many people don't like Buffy's bangs. I wonder what they think about tiny Buffy and her thick bowl cut.

Clare is divine. "Shhh! It's okey." Her voice is like music.

Ranking of the episodes so far:
The Body
Fool For Love
Forever
Blood Ties
Tough Love
Listening to Fear
Family
Real Me
Weight of the World
Crush
Checkpoint
I Was Made to Love You
Triangle
No Place Like Home
Intervention
Spiral
Shadow
Into the Woods
The Replacement
Buffy vs. Dracula
Out Of My Mind

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
The Gift

I find that now that I've reached the end, I'm not feeling in the mood to (over?)analyze. The problems I had with it on my first watch are still there. (C'mon, Dawn's blood is still flowing!) And my interpretation of Joss' downer take on adulthood still bothers me (and continues to in Seasons 6 and 7).

But none of that matters because the episode is emotional and brilliant and I didn't even let myself take notes during it so I could fully appreciate it. <3

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread (and please continue if you want)! Sorry it limped along a bit at times!

I officially started my BtVS rewatch on Feb. 1, 2017, so it's pretty great to still be going with it two years later. I have BtVS Season 6 yet to rewatch (I squeezed in Season 7 out of order because of the rewatch here last year), and all of AtS except Season 1. It takes a long time if you go at my pace!

W

WillowFromBuffy

The Gift

Buffy really has the most amazing season finales. Full of special effects, action, great set pieces and cinematography, "The Gift" is probably the second most visually impressive—the top stop of course going to "Restless." It also has great internal Scooby drama, much like "Becoming" and "Graduation." The ending is just the saddest.

This thread was really a lot of fun. Thanks, guys!

Ranking of the episodes so far:
The Body
Fool For Love
Forever
The Gift
Blood Ties
Tough Love
Listening to Fear
Family
Real Me
Weight of the World
Crush
Checkpoint
I Was Made to Love You
Triangle
No Place Like Home
Intervention
Spiral
Shadow
Into the Woods
The Replacement
Buffy vs. Dracula
Out Of My Mind

Mylie

Scooby
Wow, I finished s5 so long time ago and I was waiting for you guys to finish it to post my thoughts and now I'm behind!! It was fun to read everyone's thoughts on this season that I really love but hadn't seen in a long time.

I don't have a lot to say about those last 3 episodes because I get into them so much that it's hard for me to take a step back and think about it. It's one of the most intense endings to a season I've ever seen!

I do have some thoughts on the last 2 episodes but Spiral goes by so fast and I enjoy it but I don't really have much to say about it.

The Weight of the World

Dawn is both vulnerable and brave in this episode

Willow is so capable. Buffy thinking she killed Dawn because she felt like giving up is so heartbreaking.

The fact that Buffy’s state of mind the whole episode is that she cannot cope with thinking that she killed Dawn and the episode ends with Giles saying the only solution is the kill Dawn…

The changes between Glory and Ben make it so obvious how Clare Kramer is so much better than the guy playing Ben. It’s kind of painful.

The Gift

The « previously on » for this episode is so epic. Kind of makes it clear that the finale is going to be some sort of conclusion to something. It feels like they’re counting btvs s1 to s5 as a sort of unit.

Buffy’s reaction to fighting the vampire in the alley shows her state of mind but also how banal fighting a vampire is at this point. When Xander asks Buffy if there was some sort of trouble back there and she just answers “vampire”, it really highlights how the stakes are so much higher now. They’re not just fighting vampires, they’re fighting a god.

I think this is the first time Giles raises his voice to Buffy. It’s jarring. Him saying Dawn isn’t her sister makes me want to punch him in the face!

“Dawn is a part of me, the only part that I…” I wish she could have finished that sentence, I want to know!! My first instinct was she was going to say “love” but that’s such a sad thing to think.

I love that Anya takes charge and want to focus on what to do to prevent having to kill Dawn. She has some good ideas; it’s nice that she’s taken seriously for once.

I love that Dawn would rather look at Glory than Ben. And how much Dawn believes in Buffy. She’s holding on to her big sister saving her.

Buffy’s speech about not knowing how to live in this world if these are the choices remains one of my favorite moments on the show. It still resonates with me a lot. I love how toned down it is, yet we see the tears in SMG’s face and how she’s trying to restrain them, especially the moment she says she wishes her mom was there. It’s beautiful acting.

I love the proposal scene. I know many thinks Xander proposed to Anya because he thought the world was going to end but I don’t see it that way. He already had the ring. I think he bought it some time after Into the Woods.

I love that Buffy gets that helping Tara is Willow’s priority. The writers really went for a parallel between Buffy/Dawn and Willow/Tara in the last couple of episodes.

This is one of my favorite Buffy/Spike exchanges. I love that he’s made peace with the fact that she won’t ever love him and he just wants to help.

“I got so lost” “I will always find you” sobs…

Dawn was ready to jump. This beautiful precious selfless angel. I think people often forget/ignore that element but it really says a lot about her character.

The ending… I’m a mess.

This is one of the best episodes of the whole show. It’s so well done and makes me feel so much. I love that every single character gets their moment to shine in this. They all contribute to the story and we all know how they feel. It really feels like a perfect ensemble piece even though Buffy is clearly the hero here.

Wow, I had a lot to say about The Gift after all... haha

Ranking
The Gift
The Body
Forever
No Place Like Home
Blood Ties
Checkpoint
Fool For Love
Family
Real Me
The Weight of the World