• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

BtVS Season 7 Rewatch

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Feel free to join @Grace and D (me) while we do a Season 7 rewatch. Or you can chime in on our discussions!

We will start watching three episodes per week and see how that goes.

Week one will begin Monday. Watch episodes at your own pace. Here we go...

Week One:
Lessons
Beneath You
Same Time, Same Place

Mylie

Scooby
Oh I'm interested!! I was thinking about starting a BtVS season 5 rewatch after my AtS season 1 rewatch but now I'm thinking I'll join you with season 7 instead. I've seen it a lot less than season 5 and it'll be interesting to have discussions about it.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Oh I'm interested!! I was thinking about starting a BtVS season 5 rewatch after my AtS season 1 rewatch but now I'm thinking I'll join you with season 7 instead. I've seen it a lot less than season 5 and it'll be interesting to have discussions about it.
Yay! :D I have also seen S7 the least of all the seasons and I know it the least. It's not a favorite of mine but I'm looking forward to a re-watch and seeing if any of my opinions change.

TriBel

Scooby
I don't mind joining in if work permits. It's not a rewatch as such for me. I watch it almost on loop. I'm on Ep 15 of the latest loop but it's no hardship to "go back to the beginning". It's my favourite season and the one I know best.
Same Time, Same Place
That's probably my least favourite episode and I don't know why.:(

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Yay! Glad to see so much interest! Thanks for starting the thread, D!

First, here's a fan-made trailer (spoilerific) to get you psyched up:

The UPN promos are on YouTube as well.

You can find transcripts and shooting scripts at BuffyWorld if you want references as we go.

And if you're looking for reviews/analysis, my favorite resources are:
The Watcher's Diary (@Taaroko's reviews)
Noel Murray at the AV Club
Mark Field at Fragments of My Imagination (also available as an ebook/paperback)
(Mark's are the only episode analyses that I've read for this season, but I've liked @Taaroko and Noel Murray's stuff on the earlier seasons I've rewatched.)

Really looking forward to this!

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Based on who has signed up, it seems my thoughts will be vastly different from everyone else's:D

Oh yes, @TriBel will have my back, and say what I say but much smarter and more in depth;)

Last edited:
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Tribel is joining as well! I'm going to try and be objective - try...

Mylie

Scooby
Based on who has signed up, it seems my thoughts will be vastly different from everyone else's:D

I might surprise you... This season isn't by any means my favorite but there's still a lot I enjoy about it. There are a couple of episodes that I really dislike and I have trouble with Buffy's characterization through a big chunk of it but I usually focus on the positive and it's easier for me to do that then it is for s6. I remember it being a good season for Dawn and Faith and hopefully I won't change my mind.

Oh and thank you @Grace for the reminder about Mark Field's essays. I bought his book a couple of months ago but haven't had the time to check it out yet. This will be the perfect opportunity!

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
That's really great to hear. I was kinda kidding, but I really appreciate this! :)
W

WillowFromBuffy

Please, keep an open mind, guys. We all know the flaws and the problematic sides to this season, but there is so much good stuff that gets overlooked.

These first three episodes are pure gold. Love the sombre tone.

Edit: Probably not, FFB. Too many distractions at the moment. "I'm a Yankee-Doodle-Dandy..."

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Are you in too? Yayyyy

Mylie

Scooby
I've actually already watched Lessons and just waiting for monday to arrive to post my thoughts lol

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Post away Mylie no need to wait for Monday...

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Oh and thank you @Grace for the reminder about Mark Field's essays. I bought his book a couple of months ago but haven't had the time to check it out yet. This will be the perfect opportunity!

I don't think I could have appreciated Season 7 without Mark. I'm just not good enough at analysis. I need at least a jumping off point to be spoon-fed to me, and then I can develop my own ideas further. ;) @TriBel, for example, goes way over my head at times, though I'm very much looking forward to getting more of her analysis! :)

I remember it being a good season for Dawn and Faith and hopefully I won't change my mind.

My motivation for rewatching is to refresh my memory on slayer lore and the relationship between Buffy and Dawn before working on my post-series long story (my 2018 fanfic resolution!), so please please share your Dawn thoughts as we go.

Mylie

Scooby
My motivation for rewatching is to refresh my memory on slayer lore and the relationship between Buffy and Dawn before working on my post-series long story (my 2018 fanfic resolution!), so please please share your Dawn thoughts as we go.

You can count on me sharing my Dawn thoughts. This first episode already has me sobbing over how amazing she is. I just screencapped her scenes to make a gifset for Lessons.

@dcai0830 I'll wait and follow the rules. It'll just give me time to work on my gifsets :)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
You can count on me sharing my Dawn thoughts. This first episode already has me sobbing over how amazing she is. I just screencapped her scenes to make a gifset for Lessons.

Just rewatched and I'm looking forward to discussing more tomorrow after I've had some time to think. Can't wait to see your gifset, too! I have to say this is one of my favorite lines in the entire show: "I know! You never know what's coming. The stake is not the power. To Serve Man is a cookbook. I love you. Go away."

Mylie

Scooby
Ok it's past midnight in Québec so here it goes...

Lessons

I love how the season arc already starts and the theme of the episode (lessons) and how it focuses on Buffy teaching Dawn about power. They are my favorite relationship on the show so any episode that focuses on them is interesting for me. I also love the back to basics feel with the return to high school.

The Willow/Giles scenes were good and worked on a thematic level, but they took me out of the story a bit.

Dawn was so precious and relatable. I loved her mini presentation in front of the class. We already see her showing leadership and being resourceful with the other kids and it feels like a sort of preview to Potential.

My favorite scene was the Buffy/Dawn scene in the cemetery. It’s cute and a moment I have been waiting for so long (Buffy taking Dawn patrolling) and it’s also thematic of the season (empowerment) and a natural progression of their relationship (given the way things ended in Grave). I absolutely loved the way Buffy handled Dawn’s first experience staking a vampire and telling her she also missed the heart her first time.

We also get to see Buffy struggle with letting Dawn handle herself. First in the cemetery she has no problem letting her defend herself, even letting her get caught and almost bitten. But later at school, she’s really struggling to let her go, doesn’t even leave the school grounds. This probably has to do with how nightmarish her high school experience on the Hellmouth was, but I also think that she’s fine with Dawn handling herself as long as it’s under her supervision. This episode also had more than one joke about Buffy being mistaken for a mother (one at the beginning with Principal Wood and one at the end with the kids in the basement). We see Buffy learn to let go through the episode, going as far as trying to convince Dawn to skip school, telling Wood that he should expel Dawn, barging in a classroom to tell Dawn that they have to leave the grounds, etc. At the end of the episode, despite seeing how right she was to worry about the supernatural stuff, she comes to terms with it and tells the kids that they’ll be alright as long as they’re careful. Perhaps she realized that there’s nothing they haven’t been able to handle, but I think she was reassured by Dawn calling her for help. Still, she does jump on the opportunity to work at the school and while this is certainly a good idea for the slayer, I think it’s also rooted in her wanting to be able to protect Dawn.

The last scene was amazing. I always get chills during The First’s montage. The whole thing is very effective, and I’m amazed that they were able to get all of those actors to come back for this. I also love the back to basics feel with the return to high school. And the master's back to the beginning feels like a meta comment (we’re going back to the high school setting) and of course The First evil.

Overall, this is a solid episode and I think it works really well as the final season’s opener.

I'm still working on my gifset and it will probably be done tomorrow.

Top Bottom