• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy’s Arsenal: Your Wishes and Wants?

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
Had this thought and wanted to see what everyone else had to add, but in the show we’re shown and told that slayers are the best of the best basically. Adept at combat, good with a slew of weapons, etc, etc.

Now obviously Buffy has used a whole arsenal of weaponry, from a rocket launcher all the way to the mystical scythe, but was there a weapon you wanted to see her use or would’ve liked to see her use? Was there some object you think would’ve been fun for an action scene or two, or a lasting weapon like Mr. Pointy? Guns, swords, halberds, whatever!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I think what we saw in True Blood was a shotgun with an oak bullet. One shot to the heart and bye bye vampire. And it can all be done from a distance. But that would destroy the drama of a fight.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I can't figure out if it was sad or hilarious that vampires were killed with pencils. But I'd have loved it if Buffy decided to mock them (some who saw themselves as gods) for it by replacing her trusty stake with a pencil, doubles as an excuse (to a few) why she couldn't do her homework, as her pencil broke again.

I wonder what the limitations of making holy water is? Could one bless the town water supply? Or at least the graveyard sprinkling system? While it wouldn't necessarily kill them, it should sting them and make them hydrophobic...wonder how long holy water might make a drinker's blood toxic to vampires?

On a side note, I thought it would be a cool detail if the nightsticks of some cops were sharpened on one end. They don't have to show them being used, just a sign that at least a few of them know (as is canon when one cop talks to Snyder about "the PCP story").

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think what we saw in True Blood was a shotgun with an oak bullet. One shot to the heart and bye bye vampire. And it can all be done from a distance. But that would destroy the drama of a fight.

That sounds really cool honestly. Reminds me of that piston stake and the shotgun fashioned into a crucifix in From Dusk Til Dawn

Hunga Munga

Scooby
I can't figure out if it was sad or hilarious that vampires were killed with pencils. But I'd have loved it if Buffy decided to mock them (some who saw themselves as gods) for it by replacing her trusty stake with a pencil, doubles as an excuse (to a few) why she couldn't do her homework, as her pencil broke again.
Youtuber Jeorg has weaponized the pencil to Buffyverse standards

November

There are three flowers in a vase...
Sineya
Yeah Im sorta glad they didnt do guns too often in Buffy. I like the fight scenes, they look like a brutal dance. Supernatural gets a bit too heavy on the weapons for me, I like watching the flips!

I wonder what the limitations of making holy water is? Could one bless the town water supply? Or at least the graveyard sprinkling system? While it wouldn't necessarily kill them, it should sting them and make them hydrophobic...wonder how long holy water might make a drinker's blood toxic to vampires?

They did similar to this in The Vampire Diaries, putting vervain in the water supply. So the towns people were unpalatable and unable to be compelled by the vampires.

Buffy mentioned an exacto knife early on....

Hunga Munga

Scooby
In real life stake bullets tumble and lack the penetration and accuracy the Scoobies would need .

However custom slugs would do the job pretty reliably .

Post automatically merged:

As I understand it , holy water has to be intended for religious use , so even with a super priest and plenty of salt , you couldn't bless a lake or a water supply in Sunnydale . However I see no reason why you couldn't bless a water tank attached to a pressure washer . Repelling evil is a valid religious use . Need an ordained priest in the gang for access to ammunition .

Even without the heavy machinery , the Scoobs never made enough use of holy water anyway . Water pistols , water balloons etc . They missed a trick there . Also the tranquillizer gun should have had holy water darts. :)

Last edited:

Hunga Munga

Scooby

Handy demon fighting knife thrower . It's a long vid but well worth it .

Another wonder vid from Jeorg . Full auto Scooby ! :p.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
Now that I think of it, we didn't see much garlic. I think Willow put it up around her room once, but that's the only time I recall. Not that garlic works well as a weapon, as opposed to warding vampires off, but it could have had some amusement value in a few scenes.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I like a lot of the weapons that Buff uses in the show. It would have been cool to see her use weapons like spears or Tomahawks, or Shurikens. Or even use common weapons in a more clever way. I do love staking the vampires with pool sticks, I think she does that a couple of times in the show.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Holy Water; I did check on that once. Per Catholic claims on the matter, Holy Water consecrates any pure water it's poured into, so it could work if the writers wished it to. But that would kill the drama. I mean, think the golf club in Dogma. To keep things simple, holy water is a ward effect, it's defensive, not offensive, against a vampire, and what we saw with Krailick was special divine intervention.

Of course, I do like the idea of Spike being pinned down by sacramental bread, or a pocket Bible. Has a great Inuyasha vibe to it.

Reason: Add a joke.
T
thrasherpix
On my 2nd watch of s7, I pretended that the idiotic scene of torturing spike with a bucket of water (drowning) with a scene of a bucket that slowly drips, drips, drips holy water onto him, enough to burn but not to kill.

Moptop

Potential

Use of wooden bullets is really not a fantasy. In WWII the Italians actually used wooden bullets that were soaked in garlic! The thought was that if the person didn't die from the bullet wound, they definitely would die from the infection that the garlic would cause. The Mob also used this tactic on some of their hits. The Germans also used wooden bullets.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Use of wooden bullets is really not a fantasy. In WWII the Italians actually used wooden bullets that were soaked in garlic! The thought was that if the person didn't die from the bullet wound, they definitely would die from the infection that the garlic would cause. The Mob also used this tactic on some of their hits. The Germans also used wooden bullets.
It's not like-for-like though . These were intended as training rounds or riot control . For Buffyverse vampires you need penetration and accuracy . Splinters are good and all but only if they travel . It's not as easy as just switching to a wood tipped cartridge with firearms . I'm sure it's doable with large caliber air weapons , with shotgun slugs , with muzzle loaders , with heavy machine guns ... but I don't think the average sidearm would work that well .

I'm not a gun anorak or anything :D . I just did a bunch of idle fan research on wooden bullets ...and I was a bit unimpressed with them as a fantasy offensive vampire weapon :D . I figured you'd be better off with a bolt thrower for offence ,holy water and a regular sidearm for defence . I figure the impact and damage of regular bullets is more of a deterrent than missed heart shots.

Thinking outside the box might be fruitful too . Captive bolt gun ? Nailgun ? Staking the heart is a very specific job : maybe specialized tools is the way to go ?

Something like the M134 minigun fires so relentlessly , any bullet performance loss is offset by a hail of other bullets .
This badboy already has a plastic bullet option. It could do a wood dart, a regular bullet , a holy water ampule , tracer , a silver slug ...all at the same time :p . A few of these round the Hellmouth would keep demonic infestations to a bare minimum .

Another factor that occurs to me is just how 'wooden' does a projectile have to be to still have dusting capability ? If you can mess about with epoxy or liquid metal ,you could likely create a bullet with comparable ballistic properties to a regular one .

Moptop

Potential
Something like the M134 minigun fires so relentlessly , any bullet performance loss is offset by a hail of other bullets .
True but it's not like you could carry one of those around very easily. Not designed for close combat for sure....and aren't those designed for use on helicopters?

Granted wooden bullets would have nothing in the way of accuracy at any long distance but think about it, in most cases any confrontation with a vamp is going to be a close and in your face kind of situation, much like being mugged, so bullet accuracy would not be an issue. I would rather have a few feet between me and the bad guy with multiple shots available rather than having to get close enough to stake them.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think Gunn's gang always needs innovative weapons designers.

Just remember the potential for collateral damage, especially when saying (to police, news, courts) that you were fighting demons and vampires when you accidentally shot through that bus of popular jocks and cheerleaders returning from a game (as just one example) is only going to make it worse for yourself. Even the Initiative knew to keep the war out of the light of day (despite all the funding and power they'd likely get with the blessing of a panicking public if all that about monsters became common knowledge).

Hunga Munga

Scooby
At the other end of the scale , I reckon a punt gun could take out Master/ Kakistos level boss vampires real quick . They wouldn't even have time to tell their complicated backstory . :p

Most vampires were killed way too easily in Buffy - I mean seriously a pencil !
Seeing as it is difficult to go bigger than a rocket launcher I liked it when she improvised with whatever was around.
But Nunchucks would have been good. The 2 wooden handles could have been sharpened to a wooden spike and the connecting chain be a garrote to decapitate vamps

And did she ever use a chainsaw? I remember Giles used a chainsaw to get through the door in Fear Itself but was it ever used in a fight? I love The Evil Dead so that would have been a cool shout out

Plasma
Plasma
Giles chainsaw is such an awesome moment. Definitely should’ve been used more

Angelkiss

💫 Rupert Giles' Sentinel 💫
I like the crossbow. I'll go with that.

T
thrasherpix
Trusty crossbow, so silent (unlike guns), less likely hit someone who wasn't begging to be a vampire happy meal anyway. No tracing the bolts (unless forensics has gotten better), and not going to leave blood or body behind (bullets just anger them).
Top Bottom