• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy and Angel on Amazon Prime (UK)

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Not sure how long they have been on there as I don't look at Prime often but I saw that both Buffy and Angel are now on there.

Reactions: Nix

white avenger

white avenger
I only recently discovered how many great movies and TV shows are available on Prime, and many of them are absolutely free. I haven't searched for any of Whedon's shows yet, but I've seen all of the "Star Trek" episodes from the various series that I had missed before, and I'm working on "JAG" at the moment. For the video feature alone, Prime is well worth the price.

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I was told yesterday, so I watched Welcome to the Hellmouth, and it's also the widescreen HD version, which is nice because they've never been shown in the UK before (to my knowledge!).

Mr Trick

Scooby
Its good news for people who haven't seen the shows all the way through. Nice to have them in widescreen format too. Hopefully it will open them up to a new audience. I'm not on Amazon Prime and I won't be till they start paying their taxes.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I watched School Hard on Amazon Prime. I swear they've zoomed in a little and played with the colour a little to make it widescreen, it was fairly bright in the Factory and Drusilla looked awfully healthy for a sick vampire. Also when Giles finds the information on Spike, the reflection off his glasses is really pronounced. You can't see his eyes whereas on the DVD the reflection is there but you can see his eyes behind it.

The picture quality is excellent,, the only downside being that it makes the DVD picture quality look really rough if you go from one to the other.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I swear they've zoomed in a little and played with the colour a little to make it widescreen
Yeah, they definitely have. The vampire makeup is especially notable in the first episode. But I guess that's what happens when you go to high def!

The picture quality is very impressive though. I'm really looking forward to watching more HD Buffy....

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'm assuming it'll be the same mess that was used on the first HD broadcast. Colours all over the place, wrong aspect ratio, cameraman in shots and so on. Hopefully we'll get a loving produced version one day.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm assuming it'll be the same mess that was used on the first HD broadcast. Colours all over the place, wrong aspect ratio, cameraman in shots and so on. Hopefully we'll get a loving produced version one day.
Yeah, I've been hunting for dolly grips in my spare time.... :D

I know it's generally reviled, but I'm in awe of how fantastic it is to see Season 1 in HD. Even if it is duff HD.

HyperionWitch

Townie
Don't bother. None of them are on there. No Buffy, Angel, Firefly or Dollhouse.
Not sure about Angel or the other two, but while Buffy isn't on Amazon Prime, you can watch it online via Amazon, but you have to buy either an entire season, or at least buy an individual episode. For season 1, each individual episode is $1.99, but if you buy the entire season, it's only $4.99. I'd bet money though that at least one person has bought each individual episode as opposed to the latter purchase, despite it making no financial sense whatsoever.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I've just taken another month free trial with Amazon Prime purely to watch Buffy in the HD version . For some reason I don't really get on with Amazon Video so I only have it for a month or two at a time

They need to put this on bluray for the fans without good internet . I think I already prefer the original version upscaled but I would pay good money to have the HD on discs .

Hunga Munga

Potential
I am really enjoying my experience with HD Buffy . I'm just focusing on the positives .

I 'm noticing details of costume and jewellery I have never spotted before , not really of much interest to me but I know a few of our members enjoy that retro stuff .

I 'm in season 2 now and I ran School Hard side by side with the 4:3 DVD . There is plenty of honest extra frame in the HD so the transition to the widescreen seems pretty decent . I'm guessing Season 2 was shot in Super 16 ? I'll go back and check season 1 side by side later , but that didn't feel as authentic a rejig as a casual viewer . I'm on a roll at the moment just about to start Reptile Boy . I 'll do the fight scenes side by side but I don't want to ruin the flow of the episodes too much .

For me the 35mm season 3 , and the HD Angel Season 5 are going to be the highlights of this run .. Allegedly they tried to protect the 16:9 from season 2 onwards but even the UK 4-7 DVDs are still sprinkled with margin errors and lens distortion .As a Brit I'm well used to Buffy in Widescreen from Season 4 onwards so I'm not too bothered about adhering to the 4:3 framing of the US Broadcast . Fox were selling Buffy in wide as it aired .

Since joining the forum I bought the Region 1 DVDs to compare the two frames . Honestly I think I slightly prefer the UK cut , regardless of what Joss Whedon says ;) . I think if you feel like being a real nerd , watching both versions of pivotal episodes like 'Chosen' , or 'The Body' or 'Restless' will give you compelling reasons for both versions :D .

I wish I could purchase the HD digital copy outright but it appears it's still streamiing only .

Last edited:
Top Bottom