• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy and Parker

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's often thought that Buffy hopped into bed with Parker uncharacteristically quickly but I don't think she did. It's quite difficult to timeline season 4 as some episodes run on directly from previous ones such as Doomed and Restless from Hush and Primeval respectively, whilst other episodes have a time jump. Fear Itself being Halloween obviously time stamps it as the end of October, and since Colleges tend to start around the end of September give or take, it means that the first 4 episodes of Season 4 take place over a month.

If we assume that The Freshman takes place the Last week of September/ first week of October, then Living conditions where Buffy meets Parker takes place not long after. In The Harsh Light of Day, it is mentioned that Buffy hung out with Parker "all week" in a "moderately incessantly manner" which means that at least a week has passed between Living Conditions and Harsh Light of Day. HLOD also covers an entire weekend. Harmony's attack is a Friday, Buffy sleeps with Parker on the Saturday, Giles turns up with the information about the Gem of Amara on the Sunday and then Buffy and Spike's fight takes place on either a Monday or a Tuesday depending on whether the montage covered a day or two. When Buffy confronts Parker about not calling, he says it's only been "a few days", also Parker tells the other girl to go to class.

In The Dark covers about two days, You have Spike's monologue the first evening, he attacks Angel the next day and lures Angel into a trap that evening, then Angel is being tortured the next day. Oz returns from LA for Fear Itself and Buffy is still moping over Parker. Halloween in 1999 was a Sunday so it's possible THLOD and In The Dark occur in the same week which would put the beginning of THLOD as Friday 22nd October. With the comment about Buffy and Parker hanging out all week, we're at least looking at the week beginning 18th October. Again, assuming that The Freshman takes place last week of September/first week of October, it means there is a two week gap between The Freshman and THLOD. If Living Conditions is set at some point within that gap (and I think it is closer to the Freshman than it is to THLOD) then it means that Buffy has known Parker for at least two weeks before she sleeps with him. Add in the fact that they've been hanging out a lot (which is a ridiculous amount of effort on Parker's part for a one night stand) and that they've been "connecting", then it is easy to see why Buffy thought the relationship was serious and why she chose to sleep with him.

Thoughts?

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
College in usa starts mid-late August usually

white avenger

white avenger
Buffy has known Parker for at least two weeks before she sleeps with him. Add in the fact that they've been hanging out a lot (which is a ridiculous amount of effort on Parker's part for a one night stand) and that they've been "connecting", then it is easy to see why Buffy thought the relationship was serious and why she chose to sleep with him.
Agreed, he had to work hard for that one!
I knew a few guys exactly like that back in the stone age when I was in college, and, yeah, they did work hard for their conquests. One of them jokingly said once that his major in college was "Coeds 101," and he studied very diligently. I think that most of them wound up being career politicians.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I recall an frosh orientation meeting, like second day of college where a student was complaining about being kicked out of his room by a hook up. This would have been in 2000, in a parochial college. So, normally sensible girl like Buffy being affected by the airborne teenage hormones and the intoxicating mix of the excitement of college life x cheap philosophy, could quickly hook up with a willing partner, that's quite possible. Not the story I would want to tell, but clearly the one Joss wanted to.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I thought it more uncharacteristic because of how Buffy reacted to Cameron in Go Fish who at first started off with pretty much the same poetic, faux philosophical game of his to seduce Buffy much like Parker, which didn't work at all. (And also showed general contempt for college guys sniffing after her in other episodes, which often led to experiences to reinforce not only the contempt, but also to encourage more caution and cynicism that she showed plenty of in season 3.) It's like Buffy goes to college and instantly gets dumber.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@AnthonyCordova I think it varies. The only reason I don't think Buffy started college in mid to late august is because otherwise Living Conditions and THLOD is meant to cover two months and that seems like a massive time gap to cover with just two episodes. THLOD almost certainly happens in October due to Oz leaving for In The Dark then being back for Halloween in Fear Itself. There's no way living conditions would be used to cover the whole of September or that Buffy would put up with Kathy that long.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
@AnthonyCordova I think it varies. The only reason I don't think Buffy started college in mid to late august is because otherwise Living Conditions and THLOD is meant to cover two months and that seems like a massive time gap to cover with just two episodes. THLOD almost certainly happens in October due to Oz leaving for In The Dark then being back for Halloween in Fear Itself. There's no way living conditions would be used to cover the whole of September or that Buffy would put up with Kathy that long.
I see what you mean about the continuity. Yeah, looks like UCLA for example starts later than I thought. The majority of American Uni's start in August but apparently some do not. Late Sept strikes me as really late when taking into consideration Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. Story-wise I think you make good points. It would make more sense if school for Buffy started around the time you suggest.

Last edited:

GaviGrimm

Slayer: She who hangs out a lot in cemeteries.
I definitely think it was out of her character, but also I can also see that all that happened in the beginning of the season...Parker included....was supposed to make her realize how big the world really is and how much she wasn't really prepared for it.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
It's often thought that Buffy hopped into bed with Parker uncharacteristically quickly
Is it? She is at university. Why should it be assumed that she would act like she did when she was a virgin in high school?
which is a ridiculous amount of effort on Parker's part for a one night stand
Parker is clearly someone who enjoys the game of seduction. He's a pretty boy with lots of charm. He should be able to get himself a quick lay. But he enjoys tricking people.

vampmogs

Potential
Buffy dove headfirst into Parker because it was her way of proving to herself that she was over Angel. Espenson says as much herself in the Season 4 DVD extras as they discuss Harsh Light of Day. There's even a piece of dialogue cut from the episode where Buffy explicitly states this to Willow and Espenson regrets that it didn't make it into the final product.

That's not to say that I don't think Buffy could be manipulated or tricked under other circumstances. But Buffy leapt into things with Parker as a way of proving to herself that she'd moved on. If she hadn't been so desperate to convince herself of that, it's possible she'd have seen through his facade.

NothingVentured

Potential
That may have been her intent when writing it but I do not think it works with the subsequent episodes very well. If Buffy has that revelation in Harsh Light of Day, her esteem crisis in Fear Itself and Beer Bad appear rather forced. It is probably why the line was cut.

Top Bottom