• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy and Xander in S7

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Hi all,

So I don't know if this is true but I have read a lot that Sarah and Nicholas pitched the idea of Xander and Buffy being romantically involved in S7. Now I remember when I first read that I was like hell no because for me S7 Spuffy was the sweethest the pair ever got. But recently I feel tempted to imagine what it would have been like for Xander and Buffy to be together in S7 since I find Xander to be the best and the most mature in this season and Buffy would have needed an ally amongst the Scoobies too. Now my questions to you BB are:

Would you have liked to see Xander and Buffy together in S7?
Do you think they would have been a viable couple in this season?
Do you think it would have been better than Spuffy?

Let's discuss|

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Yes

Yes

Yes

MarieVampSlayer

Sineya
Yes

Yes

Yes
Would you care to elaborate on that? :)

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
No, I like their non sexual friendship. And Anya might have got jealous and actually killed one of them.

Meh. Probably. Buffy didnt have much time for any type of lovin'

Yes

Sineya

Yes. Xander would have been the only boyfriend Buffy had (other than maybe Owen) who was not put off by Buffy's superior strength. I was hoping they were going to be a couple back in Season1.

Definitely and Xander gives the speech to the potentials about Buffy having the right to be their leader. He respects Buffy for the choices she has made and for her accomplishments. But Buffy once said, If I were any more open-minded my brains would fall out" and by the end of Season 7, they may as well have fallen out. He is the only person in the group with any sense of stability.

Buffy and Jack the Ripper would have been better than Spuffy. Don't get me wrong - I used to support Spuffy because it was more action and less melodrama than Bangel and Bangel was stuck at the "one moment of happiness" roadblock whereas the relationship with Spuffy continued to evolve. But this relationship was toxic and violated both characters.

badsister
badsister
Buffy and Glory would have been a better couple! come on! *still rooting for them*

white avenger

white avenger
Buffy and Xander romantically involved would be just one step short of incest to me, since they had spent 6 previous Seasons more or less establishing the father/sister/brother/sister bond between Giles, Buffy, Xander, and Willow, that was the main reason for Buffy's success as a Slayer. Plus, Xander and Anya, and the "should we, or shouldn't we," relationship in Season 7 was really good.

As for Spuffy, Season 7 wasn't about Spuffy, it was Spike becoming a better man so that there could be a realistic Spuffy in the future (like, Season 10, maybe) Certainly, a lot of time was devoted to it, but there was also a lot of time devoted to Angelus in Season 2, without nearly as many complaints.

Not that I'm trying to compare Spike with that other vampire, of course.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
I love Anya and Xander in s7 too

Yes. The family vibe in the beginning of the season was so beautiful! I would have liked to see more of that.

Yes! Because their arcs mirror each other. Buffy started out being so into the social norms, and so did Xander. She wanted to be feminine and attract boys and resented her calling. He wanted to be macho and get the girls and resented his lack of powers. She ended up accepting her calling and embracing role as the leader while Xander learned to embrace his role as the sidekick and the heart of the group. They complete each other.

I actually like Spuffy. What I disliked was how the show went out of his way to trash every single character for Spuffy. I don't think that would have happened had Buffy/Xander happened.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Excellent point about the character assassinations to make Spuffy happen, something I've seen happening since season 5 and reaching absurd levels in season 7!

MarieVampSlayer

Sineya

Yes! Because their arcs mirror each other. Buffy started out being so into the social norms, and so did Xander. She wanted to be feminine and attract boys and resented her calling. He wanted to be macho and get the girls and resented his lack of powers. She ended up accepting her calling and embracing role as the leader while Xander learned to embrace his role as the sidekick and the heart of the group. They complete each other.

I like that analyse, it actually makes a lot of sense!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
No, but mostly because I really dislike when major characters are hooking up after several seasons.

I guess so. Just because I doesn't want them to be together romantically doesn't mean it couldn't work.
Xander make sense as a partner to Buffy in many ways.

Not necessarily. But it's not like it's impossible to do anything better than Spuffy either.

/SK

As for Spuffy, Season 7 wasn't about Spuffy, it was Spike becoming a better man so that there could be a realistic Spuffy in the future (like, Season 10, maybe) Certainly, a lot of time was devoted to it, but there was also a lot of time devoted to Angelus in Season 2, without nearly as many complaints.
I was writing something to explain my opinion about your comment and I suddently realized you actually write what I wanted to say yourself. Like you said said, season 7 Spuffy was about Spike becoming a better man, so you agree that Buffy was just used for Spike's journey and we don't really see her side. While I can agree that in season 2 Angelus got a lot of screen time, this story wasn't really about Angelus, Buffy is certainly not used in order to give more depth to him, it's actually the reverse. Do you see the difference ?

Anyway, let's get back on the topic :

Would you have liked to see Xander and Buffy together in S7 ?

Absolutely not ! At this point they are friends for too long time to be now in a relationship. Plus what I love the most in the show is the friendship between Scoobies and I already hate enough Willow/Xander in season 3.

Do you think they would have been a viable couple in this season ?

No ! Season 7 is already full of storyline with some which are bad developed or not developed at all so creating a new story in a realistic way would have been really difficult.

Do you think it would have been better than Spuffy ?

Again No ! Season 7 is the continuity of previous seasons and there were Spuffy, so having Buffy in a new relationship would have been ridiculous. For me, either we continue Spuffy (that's the option Joss chooses) either we let Buffy alone !

MarieVampSlayer

Sineya
I was writing something to explain my opinion about your comment and I suddently realized you actually write what I wanted to say yourself. Like you said said, season 7 Spuffy was about Spike becoming a better man, so you agree that Buffy was just used for Spike's journey and we don't really see her side. While I can agree that in season 2 Angelus got a lot of screen time, this story wasn't really about Angelus, Buffy is certainly not used in order to give more depth to him, it's actually the reverse. Do you see the difference ?

Anyway, let's get back on the topic :
That would be an interesting argument to develop on my other thread : Equality in the Buffyverse couple

MarieVampSlayer

Sineya
Yes sorry it was just a small parenthesis. I just wanted to respond to what he said quickly by avoiding going too far on the subject. Sorry for the off topic
Oh don't worry about it, I actually liked it and thats why I would love to have your insight on my other thread :) Never be shy to go off topic if the sudject is good :)

Antho
Antho
I will check it out I promise :)

I'm neutral on this. I wouldn't have minded it. I'd have considered it braver than Spuffy, too. I say braver because it would defy expectations and would go against romance formulas I consider trite and pernicious.

Yes, I think they could've been viable. Anya could prove a real problem (and yet be sympathetic at the same time), with lots of drama to tap.

And I love Spike from before, but I think he was well past the expiration date.

Though I should probably say that if I were into men, I'd consider Xander a good catch (assuming I was his age). I know I'm in the minority there.

About anything would be better than the Spuffy we got (okay, my brain is now tormenting me with images of Buffy/Andrew and Buffy/Caleb so I'll emphasize "about anything" :p ), including other versions of Spuffy that didn't follow the formula. Even writing the Spuffy we were given just a little different would've made a big difference. For example, had Spike gave Robin his mother's coat back with an apology and emphasizing he is no longer the demon (delivering it with a warning to never attack him again would be okay) would've caused a drastic change in how I view Spike in this season, and thus how I perceived the season 7 Spuffy.

Okay, now it's time to see what everyone else said! :D

white avenger

white avenger
Spuffy was about Spike becoming a better man, so you agree that Buffy was just used for Spike's journey and we don't really see her side. While I can agree that in season 2 Angelus got a lot of screen time, this story wasn't really about Angelus, Buffy is certainly not used in order to give more depth to him, it's actually the reverse.
I would prefer "an integral part of" rather then "used" when it comes to describing Buffy's role in Season 7 Spike's development, in the same way that she was an integral part of Angelus' arc, simply because so much of his time was focused on humiliating, intimidating, and defeating her. Of course, that's pretty much a given, since it's Buffy's show, and, ultimately, she's an integral part of just about all of it, except for maybe the commercials.

Anyhow, "used" or "part of," it's as much personal interpretation as anything else.

No, just no! They were bestfriends basically family. Let's leave some male/female platonic relationships alone.

No. This season was jammed packed with too much to add trying to formulate a brand new romantic relationship. Not to mention Buffy was too busy being a soldier this season to have any real deep feelings for someone that she didn't already have them for.

Yes, anything is better than Buffy going back to the person who attempted to rape her. Soulless or not he wears the face of the man who tried to rape her. That's deep and something that should have been touched on more.

badsister
badsister
they couldn't touch on it more cause they had no fcking idea what AR is and what to do with it. that was a plot device for them nothing more.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Xander is for me at his best in season 7, his most grown up, and I think a relationship like that would actually hurt all the work he did to figure things out on his own. I think he would handle most situations a lot better without worrying about being with someone like Buffy. I also think Buffy needs someone who is more her equal, and that's not even an insult to Xander.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil

As much as I love Xander in S7, the idea of him and Buffy as a couple feels just wrong to me. There's been a point made about his being her "big brother" in S4, and they have always felt like that to me. It's nice to have a man of her age who genuinely loves Buffy without there being a sexual component to it (at least post S5-6 on Xander's part). I also think that SMG has even less sexual/romantic chemistry with NB than she had with Marc Blucas, and that's saying something.

Depends on what you mean by viable. Theoritically I guess since Xander's become a very stable and mature guy, but I don't believe so because it would just feel artificial and forced, I,just can't picture it.

Again, I don't think so, because by S7 Spuffy has been developed for two full seasons and S7 represents the resolution of many of their former issues. Buffy clearly still has feelings for him and wants him around, and they give each other strength. They have a connection that is very different from what she and Xander have, and I hardly see how you could substitue the two. But again, even with Spike out of the picture, it would have been terribly contrived.

No. Just...no. Season 7 Spuffy wasn't just about Spike becoming a better man, it was the conclusion of his redemption arc, which is the best I've ever seen. And Buffy and Xander? Remember how in "Restless", she calls him "big brother"?

Top Bottom