• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy/Angel in the modern age

There's a reason why it's evil
Aug 1, 2017
Black Thorn
Inspired by another thread that wasn't about what I thought it would be, lol. Made me want to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Ignoring the fact that certain shows wouldn't exist today without Buffy, what if Buffy S1 was released sometime in the past five years or so, and was followed by the next six seasons? And I don't mean the seasons that we know, but made to fit within our world of TV as it is today?

What would the characters be like? The Slaying lead character, the male and female friend who know the secret, the stuffy British Watcher, the vampire love interest, and so on?

What kind of risks would the show take, versus the risks it took back in the day? The death of lead and minor characters? The main character coming out story? The 'controversial' S6 themes?

What story would the show be trying to tell, beyond the supernatural aspects? Would the themes during high school be as powerful or not, if set now?

What would the impact be? How would it be, compared to the other, similar, shows that exist on TV today?
Jan 25, 2016
If Buffy were released today I would hope the cast would be far more diverse. I think there would definitely be at least one character who was non-white. I would also expect one character to be openly gay, or at least coming out in S1. This is the very least I'd expect. There would be far less slut-shaming, but far more nudity and sex :)

All the episodes/characters that depend on technology would be changed. Giles' absolute fear of technology would seem slightly too ridiculous. Apart from that I think the themes and metaphors do stand the test of time, so there's not much else that would need to be updated.

The female characters do stand up better to today's standards, but the male characters are quite dated. Giles is too old-fashioned and wouldn't be believeable now, and Xander's one-liner would have to be re-written because they sound misogynistic to modern audiences.

I think the impact of a show is always dependant on the writing. If the modern Buffy had great writers of the calibre of the classic Buffy, there's no reason why the impact shouldn't be as great.

Apocalypse Engine
Feb 18, 2014
Mile High City
We live in a more highly politicized world I would argue, compared to the show's historical situation in the late 90's and early 2000's, so I would wager that the show might lose a lot of its innocence and charm. Modern television shows often possess a cynicism that comes from a realization that the world really is as bad as we fear sometimes, and the result are television shows that possess a pathological skepticism about the world failing to live up to expectations. I had this thought recently with regard to the new X-files: who cares about alien conspiracies when the world is full of tangible conspiracies enough, with corrupt politicians, terrorists, extremists, and other deplorable types of people, when these types of things are closer to us by way of television and protesters, and when a simple trip to the convenience store gives us a list of examples of how the world has gone wrong. In a way, we're jaded about the world, and with good reasons, and our modern pop culture reflects that. I would think a modern BtVS would reflect this and lose what charm and innocence the show used to possess. There isn't gullibility and shelter enough for that quality in Buffy I would say; we know too much now about the world's crappiness to be able to suspend disbelief about it. Look at the charm of many 80s movies, like the original star wars, or the movie labyrinth: we could never recreate movies like that the same way now, because those movies are the expression of a different time and a different social consciousness. A lot of modern reboots also seem to show this too.
Last edited:

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Aug 2, 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
The show was better because it was in a different age. Same as all those beautifully innocent, timeless and iconic '80s movies. Everything Priceless identifies as needing to change (and I'm sure they think those changes would be an improvement--I DISAGREE!) are things I'm glad weren't around at the time. Sorry, but I hate the modern crap seeping into everything and making it a whole lot less timeless.

One of the things I love most about BtVS/AtS is that the male characters, who are genuinely allowed to be heroes without being belittled for it (actual equality where male and female heroes are treated neither better or worse, not feminist superiority as retribution), are old-fashioned and timeless in the same way that much of the media in the '70s, '80s and '90s all was. The aforementioned decades were ones where you could have strong male and female characters on equal footing (see the likes of Princess Leia for one of the real groundbreakers, but not by way of her having to be better than Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but rather their equal and all iconic heroes in their own rights). BtVS/AtS especially did this well by having Buffy and Angel both hugely important characters with equally important journeys. How this is handled now is REGRESSION and the stories suffer as a result of the hypersensitive quota-ticking and chip-on-shoulder-ness of everything.

Another thing that would never be allowed is all the weaponry being kept in the Sunnydale High library. BtVS was allowed this oddity just because the high school years were just about completed right up to Columbine. The show would have lost a lot if it were just a mere couple of years later. Spring 1999 had the last months when people could accept Buffy walking around with swords, crossbows and other weapons in a school. The whole premise of the school library being the Slayer's headquarters could never be replicated now.

Think about how often you see Wesley with guns (not just villains, but one of the heroes) and Spike's endless chain-smoking (Angel and Faith, as well). Both of those things would probably also disappear in a modern remake.

And no, Joss wouldn't be allowed to kill any character who was on a quota checklist now. He was actually quite fearless with that much in that, if the story called for it and would result in a desired plotline, anybody could be on the chopping block. There were no sacred cows.
Jul 29, 2016
I think the increase in the use of technology would make a lot of the situations implausible eg In WTTH, Willow goes off with the vampire and Buffy has to scramble to find her before it's too late. Nowadays, Buffy could've just rang Willow on a mobile to find out where she was. Also CCTV would make a lot oft he scoobies breaking and entering more difficult to get away with.

Buffy as we know it would not work in today's climate. It would seriously have to be overhauled. That's not to say it isn't relevant but a lot of thing that happened would not happen today.
Oct 14, 2012
Last year, there was a thread about how different Buffy would be if modern electronics were to enter the picture. So I wrote this:

Day. Int. School Library at Sunnydale High. Giles is absorbed in one of his ancient books when Jenny walks in.

Jenny: Call the troops, Giles, we have a new threat coming up. Just got the message from Kent.

Giles: Kent? Who's Kent?

Jenny It's not a who, it's a what. Kent State University is just southeast of the hellmouth in Cleveland. They have a demon monitoring group in their grad school. They passed us a warning.

Giles: Well, Buffy isn't here now...

Jenny: No problem. I can IM them.

Giles: IM?

Jenny: Instant message. Like email but immediate.

Jenny types in "GET YR BUTT TO THE LIBRARY STAT". A few minutes later, Buffy, Willow and Xander arrive, summoned by the IM.

Buffy: What's up?

Xander: Doc?

Willow: Something we need to do?

Jenny: I got a message from Kent...

Willow: Ooh, you subscribe to their hellmouth warning?

Jenny: Yes and that is what this is about. They captured a demon who said Sunnydale was going to be hit by a Kantovin demon.

Giles: I think I have heard the name. Let me consult my books...

Willow: No need, there's an app for that.

Willow takes out her phone and flicks the surface a few times and taps the screen.

Willow: OK, got it. Ooh, looks like a big one. Ugly. With tentacles.

Giles: We should research this. I think we have something that will tell us what the vulnerabilities are and we should be able to find it in a couple of hours.

Jenny pulls out her own phone.

Jenny: OK Willow, caught up with you here and I have an advantage. I'm a gold level subscriber. I get all the notes.

Willow: You're a subscriber? Nice!

Jenny: Ten bucks a year. Pays for itself with the first use.

Xander: So what do we have to do?

Jenny: Uh, let's see. Not vulnerable to drowning, does not need air, can be pierced with a spear or knife with no effect because the body structures just shift aside and let the blade go through. Not susceptible to bullets but a rocket or grenade might knock it out. Ah, here it is, susceptible to fire. OK Buffy, you're going to lead this expedition, how do you want to handle it?

Buffy: Flash mob. Flammables required. OK Xander, we need a list of people with good throwing arms.

Xander: They would be jocks. And they don't tend to talk to me.

Willow: OK, I can hack student records for a list of all athletes in Sunnydale and a few other schools and anyone else who can help.

Giles: Wait a minute, what are you trying to do here?

Jenny: The guide from Kent says they like to hang around flat grassy areas, so the park near the school is probably where it will appear.

Willow: Just sent the message out for a flash mob at the park and to bring gasoline, alcohol, any liquid that burns in glass bottles.

Buffy: I can launch flaming arrows.

Jenny: Good. We have a plan.

Giles: Wonderful. What uh, is this plan?

Jenny: You'll see.

Ext. Night. The large park near Sunnydale High. A crowd of about 100 people have shown up along with Jenny, Giles, Buffy, Willow and Xander. There is a rumbling sound and the grass bursts up to make a ten foot diameter mound. The Kantovin demon steps out of the hole with its tentacles waving around.

Xander: OK, Buffy, do the honours.
Buffy: Everyone, throw your gas and alcohol at the demon.

The crowd tosses fuel at it. The containers shatter and spray fuel all over the demon. Buffy brings out a bow and arrow and lights the end of the arrow. Her shot catches in the body of the demon and the fire spreads. The demon starts to roll on the ground as it burns. It puts out about half of the fire, but can't do any better than that.

Xander (yells to the crowd): Second volley!

From high overhead, a vodka bottle spins slowly as it drops on the demon and shatters. The flames now envelop the demon, who burns furiously and finally dissipates into powder.

Giles: What was that last stuff that finished the demon off?

Xander: Let's just call it school supplies.