• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy/Angel Questionnaire

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
This is inspired (read copied) by an old thread. It looked fun, so I figured we could revive it. I'm adapting the questionnaire to include Angel as well as Buffy.

Which character gave you more laughs overall?
Lorne, Cordy, Spike, Giles. The Scooby gang? Idk, they all made me laugh, but I'll go with Lorne, simply because he has the best nicknames for Angel :p (Angelcakes, Angelbabe)

Was there a character you really couldn’t stand?
Parker, Kennedy, The Initiative people, Faith on Buffy sometimes, Justine? Hmm, Maggie Walsh. She was the worst and she made Giles feel bad which is unacceptable.

What is your favorite female character?

Lilah.

What is your favorite male character?

Angel. Followed by Wesley.

What relationship did you “worship” the most?
Bangel, followed by Weslah.

Buffy’s soulmate? [make of the would 'soulmate' what you will]

I don't believe we have souls and I don't believe we have soulmates. However, for the sake of this questionnaire, I'm interpreting the world soulmate to mean: the person the character in question loves the most/would consider his or her soulmate. That being said:

Angel.

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara.

Xander’s soulmate?
I believe he would say Anya, but I'm ignoring the comics when considering my answers.

Angel's soulmate?

Buffy.

Cordelia's soulmate?
Don't know. She never had a serious relationship (as much as I enjoyed Cander), but perhaps she would say Angel?

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred, she was his whole world.

Which death touched you the most?

Wesley's ("Would you like me to lie to you now?"), followed by Fred's and then Lilah's.

What is your favorite season of each show and why?

My favorite season of both shows is the second.
Buffy S2 had the best of everything: the best relationships, the best Scooby Gang, a great Big Bad and small Big Bads, a gripping arc (the Angelus one), moments that defined all of the characters, a perfect balance of humor/drama.
Angel S2 was inconsistent (specially with the Pylea arc), but had some brilliant writing - I mean, they took a soulless vampire (Darla) and made her one of the most relatable characters of the Buffyverse. Also, I really connected with the existential themes of this season; Angel's descent to madness was invigorating and painful, like watching a car crash happen in slow motion; Angel/Darla and Darla/Lindsey were interesting relationships; the A.I team really flourished; we met Lorne, etc.

What season of each show did you enjoy the least?
The first time I watched Buffy S7 I thought it was a great improvement from S6, but upon rewatch I found S7 more unbearable. S5 blurs together for me and S6 gets really boring. I'll go with S7 - Buffy's speeches, the uneffective Big Bad, the wasted Scoobies, Spike, huge plot holes, etc. all drag the season down.
Angel S3 is unbearable for me. It has goofy Angel, Cangel and other cringe worthy storylines... Other than the Darla arc, the Loyalty/Sleep Tight/Forgiving trilogy, A New World and some parts of Tomorrow everything else is either meh or ugh.

If you had to rank the seasons of BtVS and AtS?

Angel: S2>S4>S5>S1>S3 (the only season I dislike overall is the third one).
Buffy: S2>S3>>S1>>S5>S6>S4>S7 (I've only watched S4 once, need to do a rewatch since it's probably better than I remember).

What is your favorite big bad?

Angelus (in S2)! Angel didn't really have Big Bads, but W&H I guess. Hamilton was pretty scary.

What is your favorite season finale (or final arc of a season)?
Not Fade Away, the best finale a show could possibly have. On Buffy, Becoming is pure genius too.

Do you have one favorite episode?

Becoming for Buffy. But also, Surprise/Innocence, IOHEFY, Amends.
Not Fade Away for Angel. But also, IWRY, Reprise, Lullaby, Orpheus, Home (and so many others).

Finally, what would like to add? What’s so special about BtVS and AtS?

Well, I'm an Angel girl. ;) I think Angel is just a brilliant show. I was impressed by the depth of the characters and of the relationships, the bold storytelling, the excellent writing and the existential themes throughout the seasons.
For Buffy, the characters - who were so sweet, funny and brave - really got me hooked on the show. Oh, and Bangel as well. And the writing.

Ok, those are my answers. I would love to see yours!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Glad to be of service! lol.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Spike. Love his dry sense of humour and great one liners and how he is just so socially aware. As a Brit I also enjoy Gile's sucasm:p Cordy would be third.

Connor out of the ones who took up a lot of screentime. Kate too, but I'd guess I just found her more boring than annoying for the most part.

Willow is my favourite character fullstop. After her I'd say its between Lilah, Cordy and Fred.

Spike.

Fred and Wesley. They just seem equels and to have so much in common.

Willow.

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara.

Xander’s soulmate?
Cordy. (if not then Willow, but different kind of course).

Angel's soulmate?
Buffy (if I have to pick).

Cordelia's soulmate?
Gunn.
Wesley's soulmate?
Fred.

Fred's.

Buffy Season 3: It is pretty much the only season which is perfect from start to finish (or as close as you can get in a 22 episode season). It has 4 or 5 of the show's best ever episodes, and even the below par ones are no worse than avenge. The introduction of Faith takes the show off into a new and exciting direction, the Mayor is one of the best ever BB. The whole arc leading to Graduation is truly compelling and the perfect end to that chapter of the show.

Angel: Its between 2 and 3 (though I'm currently rewatching 5). With 2 the Darla arc and Angel's descent into darkness and split from Cordy/Wes/Gunn too the show in fresh and bold new directions. The character growth was a big step up from the first season. The closing three episodes was a nice twist on what we had seen leading up to it. Despite trying to cram a bit too much in I do think that 3 might be the most consistent season episode to episode. The villains are some of the best of the show, as are the monsters and Fred proves a great addition to the cast.

Buffy: Season 1
Angel: Season 1
The reasons are pretty much the same because both shows were still finding their feet. And there are a few episodes in Buffy season 1 (Teacher's Pet, IRYJ, maybe Nightmares too) and at least two in Angel season one (She and Expecting) that are among the worse ever.

Buffy: S3>S2>S5>S4>S6>S7>S1
Angel: S3/S2>S5>S4>S1 this may change unlike the Buffy order).

Angelus/Spike/Dru

Becoming Pts 1&2.

If I was pushed I'd say Restless for Buffy and Orpheus for Angel.

I think Buffy for something which started out as a teen show (in a large part at least) proved one of the most subversive and unprictable shows ever. It has some of the best character writing and dialouge. And throughout its seven seasons constantly reinvents itself. And its deeply charming and emotionally gripping.

Angel as a contrast and like Buffy raises some great moral questions about good and evil and the flaws in mordern society. But stylistically is even more cinematic and dark. It has some truly inventive character and story arcs, and gives some crical growth to certain characters (Angel, Darla, Wesley) who were only supporting players on Buffy. Like Buffy there are some exciting twists and turns along the way.

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
Very interesting answers to the soulmate questions. Gotta tell you I'm a little confused ;)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Which characters gave you laughs overall?

Giles' wit, Buffy's quips, Spike's snark, Cordelia's attitude. All of these add a lot to the shows.
But really I like all of the humor the characters have, and how it is different from person to person; Buffy says something funny that Xander wouldn't, and that distinguishes her personality from somebody else. I like that it adds to their character overall.

Was there a character you really couldn't stand?

...Anya in the last two seasons tended to grate, Spike when he gets his soul, Andrew, Knox, Eve, Harmony.
People who are either shallow characters at heart or who aren't as amusing/clever as they think are tend to piss me off.

Who is your favorite female character?

Faith. Her start, her fall, her redemption, is the most well realized on the show. Also the most relate-able since it doesn't involve soul-getting or a gypsy curse or 'bad magics', its just a person screwing up because of trust issues/jealousy/bitterness etc and goes to accept punishment, gets better and gets right back to it; no applause, no pep talks or breaks, doing right because it is.
I also like how she fits on both Buffy and on Angel.

Who is your favorite male character?

Wesley. His journey and development as a character beat all others.

What relationship do you 'worship' the most?

I don't really worship- I'm too discerning lol- and I'm suspicious of those relationships that are over-aggrandized, romanticized and go on and on... They bore me. Change or die.
Although I like- in a non-romantic way- Buffy and Giles and how that develops. In my re-watch I've become a big fan of their scenes together.

Buffy's 'soulmate'?

Don't really like the term. If its about who fits best with Buffy, the yin to her yang, her equal in all things, the person who can stand up to her, fight beside her, go to the beach with her, love her, stop her from feeling lonely all the time, we've already been shown who that is; Faith.

Willow's soulmate?

Tara I guess.

Xander's soulmate?

I have no clue. I think he's attracted to women who aren't exactly great for him long-term (Buffy, Cordelia, Faith but mostly Anya...) but he and Dawn seem to click in a way different from all his other crazy relationships.
It's not about being 'normal together', its about being with somebody who has a similar level of empathy as you do (something he previous relationships lacked so Xander had to be uh, patient? to put it mildly).
Dawn has grown up into being a pretty together young woman, so i think Xander lucked out.

Angel's soulmate?

Darla. Or maybe Gwen Raiden, another person who is afraid of intimacy and has been alone their whole life? Perfect fit.
How come they didn't end up happily ever after. Plus Hawt.

Cordelia's soulmate?

Doyle.
I think she and Doyle would've been great together. Doyle was like some of Xander and some of Angel all wrapped up in an endearing Irish package.

Wesley's soulmate?

Lilah. He never really knew Fred at all, just put her up on some pedestal (not really a fan of those types of ship- the guy 'worshiping the lady' and so on) but he and Lilah knew and saw the worst in each other and still found comfort and an equilibrium.

Wesley's. It just seemed so sad because he had nothing left to fight for to tie him to the world.

For Buffy its Season 3. It's so jam-packed for of great episodes that sometimes they over-shadow each other and you forget how good they are individually. The arcs work well and the little character moments are so good and layered. Buffy's strength always lay in those little character moments that became fewer in the later seasons.

For Angel it's Season 4 (although this varies) because for me Angel was best at the big sweeping ambitious arcs, not the character moments. It was big screen stuff and S4 was the most epic, it had direction and tension and drama and surprises. There were problems with it (Connor and Cordelia) but to me those get fixed in S5. Yeah, lots of solid eps as well- from comedy (Spin The Bottle) to action (Apocalypse Nowish), to character studies, plus Willow and Faith show up and save some collective bacon.

Which season of each show did you enjoy the least?

Buffy was Season 6
...Although I am going to watch it again soon to re-evaluate. But it lacked direction, pacing, good villains/stakes, lighter touches in regards to character, subtle, layered metaphor. Just on a practical level it looked a lot cheaper/shoddier than previous seasons as well.
Parts of Season 7 hack me off too.

Angel was Season 3, too much soap opera relationship guff which was mostly unconvincing. The arcs involving baby Connor and Wesley's dilemma were good, but there were a lot of really weak/bad one-shots (That Vision Thing, Old Gang Of Mine, Provider, Dad, Couplet, The Price, Double Or Nothing, etc)

Buffy: 3, 5, 2, 4, 7, 1, 6

Angel: 4, 1, 2, 5, 3

Who is your favorite Big Bad?
I enjoyed Glory more than I had previously...but its still the Mayor; a genial, polite and unassuming man who's just really, totally evil and loving it. His evil is so understated and the revelations about him underpin one of the arcs of the season; he's a mystery.

Favorite Season Finale (or season arc)?
Well, I like the final few episodes of S7 on Buffy... but again I would say Season 3 and the build-up to Graduation Day that started in 'Enemies' and there wasn't a dud episode after that.
Angel was Season 5 easily; the final arc made up for the fairly dire beginning.

Do you have a favorite episode?

Too many to list. Many of them for me are character-centric on Buffy: from The Zeppo to Storyteller, Who Are You to Selfless, Fool For Love to A New Man. Those are golden.

Finally, what would you like to add. What's so special about BtVS and AtS?

I like that it wasn't afraid to constantly take chances and change things up; most characters went through big changes from season to season- which is rare on TV even now- and it really felt like you were following the characters right along on a journey as they learned about themselves.
Even when it was...less than stellar in its storytelling (which wasn't its strong suit anyway) it kept you interested. I mean, people in the fandom are still debating things even now, that's pretty rare in an old show, right?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
My answers are going to be more Buffy based because I've not seen Angel in years and I haven't got the dvds yet but will be getting them.

Spike.

Kennedy- If she was against any of the big bads I'd be rooting for each and every one of the big bads. Even Snyder.

Drusilla, though Willow is a very close second.

Spike.

Spike and Drusilla- I wish they hadn't broken up.

Angel- Buffy said herself "I loved him more than anything I will ever love in this life". (Basically for Buffy, nobody compares to Angel.)

Willow’s soulmate?

Xander- Non romantically of course.

Xander’s soulmate?

Willow- Non romantically of course.

Angel's soulmate?

Buffy

Cordelia's soulmate?

Her car.

Wesley's soulmate?

Can't answer.

Spike's- glad it wasn't permanent.
Joyce because she'd been there since the start.

Season 2 Buffy- Because it was you had all the original scoobies plus Spike and Dru as a couple.

Season 6 Buffy- Because Spuffy was so terribly unhealthy for the two characters.

Buffy Favourite-Least favourite: S2, S4, S3, S5, S1, S7, S6

They were all good though.

Glory

Season 2

School Hard overall but I do have favourite moments from other episodes.

Whilst the technology and fashions in Buffy may be dated, the story itself is timeless.

cryptwarmer
cryptwarmer
you get extra kisses and hugs for the brilliant choice of Cordy's soul mate!

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
@thetopher and @Mr Trick what are your definitions of the word 'soulmate'? Your answers confused me a lot. Like I said, I don't know what a soulmate is, so I kinda chose the definition in this case. For example, Lilah/Wes is my fave pairing, but Wes would consider Fred his soulmate, no doubt, which is why I answered Fred. What were your criteria?

Cordelia's soulmate?
Gunn.
Why Gunn?!

Angel's soulmate?

Darla. Or maybe Gwen Raiden, another person who is afraid of intimacy and has been alone their whole life? Perfect fit.
How come they didn't end up happily ever after. Plus Hawt.
Darla? Why Darla? Shouldn't you love your soulmate? Idk, what does that word mean? I'm confused.

DarkLordsHaunt

Max the Vampire Slayer
Sineya

Definitely Anya.

Oh my god, it was definitely Connor. I hated him! So mean, so annoying, so gross. Ugh!

Dawn! :D

Xander!

Willow/Tara. I loved them together.
Really liked Buffy/Angel too though.

Buffy’s soulmate?

Angel.

Willow’s soulmate?

Tara.

Angel's soulmate?

Buffy.

Cordelia's soulmate?

Really not sure.

Wesley's soulmate?

Probably Fred.

Tara's ... her death really upset me. I've seen the scene many times and it can still make me cry.

My favorite season of Buffy is season 6. I just love it, I think it has a lot of good episodes and I love all the drama in it.
My favorite season of Angel is definitely season 1.. I just think it's the best one. I slowly started to get uninterested after that season.

In Buffy I really didn't like season 7. The first few episodes were ok but after the potentials came in I just couldn't stand it.
I didn't like season 4 of Angel. Just didn't appeal to me.

Best to worst;

Buffy:
Season 6
Season 5
Season 3
Season 4
Season 2
Season 1
Season 7

Angel:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 5
Season 3
Season 4

Dark Willow.

Restless! Buffy Season 4 finale.. LOVED it!!

Tabula Rasa.

Good plot, good actors, I just think everything about Buffy is good.
Good actors, kinda meh plot. Like I've said... really wasn't a big fan of Angel. Just my opinion :p

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
I'll make you an Angel fan one day ;)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
@thetopher and @Mr Trick what are your definitions of the word 'soulmate'?
Knowing somebody intimately and being closely connected to them on a level nothing else matches.
Also being their equal in many respects, caring and respecting them, wanting the best for them.

Darla? Why Darla? Shouldn't you love your soulmate?
Love isn't an absolute in the criteria for me. Knowing somebody completely is, the love can come later but that close connection has to be there.
And I believe that it would've come later if Darla hadn't been turned. She and Angel were together for a hundred and fifty years on and off and he would've given his life for her. I know that was partly because of his feelings about redemption but there was love there, a feeling of closeness that I never saw Angel have with anyone else.
Angel and Gwen because...yin and yang maybe. It's more supposition and the fact that she's still alive- so the possibility.
She was fun and he was stoic, she could've made him happy and he could've given her purpose beyond 'zap then steal'. :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
To me there is no set defintion for soulmate. It can either mean someone's closest friend or family member (normally a brother or sister) or it can mean the love of your life or your first love. In all cases you would confind the most in that person.

I chose Gunn for Cordy because there had that brother and sister dynmic. And I think they Cordy talks to Gunn on his level more than any other character on the show. Really I don't think Cordy had a soulmate but since I had to pick one I thought Gunn was the closet for those reasons.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Gunn and Cordy WOULD have been soulmates if not for WB execs. And it would have been wonderful.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Arghhhhhh this is incredibly hard. Either Xander, or Anya, or Spike. But almost EVERYONE in the Buffyverse is hilarious.

Well, Connor. But it was more his bad writing that annoyed me, not the character itself. And Vincent whatshisname actually gave a good performance, despite his terrible writing. I also disliked characters who had inadequate actors - Angel (Sorry Boreanaz. At least he got better over time), Veruca (That actress was a REALLY bad attempt at copying Faith. She really made me appreciate Eliza Dushku more, and I already loved Eliza so much), Justine (ugh, again with the bad Faith rip-off), Forrest and Graham from the Initiative, Early Darla, MANY side characters in season 1, and probably a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

Buffy, of course.

Me too, Xander. Me too.

Errr... This is harder. Spike? Xander? Maybe Wesley?

I don't know about "worship", but probably Buffy/Spike. Although I seem to be falling in love with Buffy/Satsu more and more all the time... And Satsu is a MUCH healthier match for Buffy.

Buffy’s soulmate? [make of the word 'soulmate' what you will]
Let's say that "soulmate" means "the best romantic partner for her". In which case, I'd like to think that Buffy still has that "soulmate" out there somewhere, and that she'll find him/her someday... Because ALL of her previous romantic interests were no good for her, ultimately. But if I had to pick one from her previous romantic interests, then Satsu is CLEARLY the best. She's a much healthier and more balanced person than Spike and Angel, and she's WAY better suited for dating a slayer than conservative farmboy Riley, and she doesn't have the irreparably bad history that Faith has. The only problem is the orientation thing - Buffy isn't gay...

Or is she...?

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara. But I really want her to get together with Aluwyn! I mean, Aluwyn probably isn't healthy for Willow, but there are still so many great untapped stories there! The writers barely scratched the surface with that relationship.

Also... Sexy snake ladies are sexy.

Willow/Fred would be glorious too.

Xander’s soulmate?
Either Anya or Dawn. Or Cordy, if they gave it another shot when they were older. Xander is surprisingly good at relationships, really. He just has a lot of bad luck.

Angel's soulmate?

Errr... No one, really. He literally CAN'T be in a long-term relationship, because of his curse. But if we ignore that... Cordy, I guess? The relationship was SO messed up by the writers, but somehow it just WORKED in 'You're Welcome'. So, based on that ONE episode, Cordy. All of Angel's other relationships were a mess.

Cordy is SO over his league, though. She'd be really settling...

Cordelia's soulmate?
Oh, Xander in a heartbeat. No one else comes close. He messed it up when he was in high school, but I'm completely sure that they'd be great together when they're older.

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred is so OBVIOUSLY meant for him that I'm afraid they'd have messed it up if they ever got a real chance. I think they both idealize each other too much. Maybe Faith would be better for him, simply because she knows all of his dark sides and he knows hers?

Also, their "my-Batman-impression-is-better-than-yours" double act would be not only hugely entertaining, but also INCREDIBLY good-looking:

Either Joyce or Fred. Wesley's death left me surprisingly unaffected, for some unfathomable reason... (Wes is one of my favorite characters, so it's really weird that his death doesn't do anything for me)

BtVS: Either season 5, or season 6.
Season 5 is the most FLAWLESS season of the Buffyverse, by far - there are barely any rough edges, and almost every element in it is executed perfectly.
Season 6, on the other hand, has quite a few flaws... But it is also the story that's closest to my heart, and it really feels like the story that the show was created to tell - Buffy's struggle with depression finally starts, Willow's dark side finally coming to the fore, Xander's parental issues finally coming out, Spike's obsessive romanticism finally shows its true ugly face, etc... Season 6 is the season I cared about more than any other season.

AtS: Season 5, easily. The first 4 seasons suffered from being nothing but a Batman rip-off. They lost the element of subversion that defined the Buffyverse. Season 5 created a totally new premise that fixed both of these problems. Also, it was the ONLY season of AtS that knew what it wanted to be from start to finish - all of the previous seasons seemed to lack the meticulous planning and sense of purpose that defined BtVS, and they always seemed to change direction drastically halfway through each season. Season 5, on the other hand, seemed to be perfectly planned - the first episode of the season sets up a single cohesive story that gets resolved in the last episode. Also, the departure of Connor and not!Cordy and the introduction of Spike and Harmony as regulars were huge changes for the better.
I have some serious issues with the series finale, but other than that - season 5 is almost perfect, by AtS standards.

BtVS: Season 1, easily. SO easily. All of the other seasons are mind-blowingly awesome.
AtS: Season 4 has the most infuriating stuff, but it also has some of the best stuff. Season 1 has some great stuff, and is never really offensive, but it has so much boring filler, and really suffers from the lack of an over-arching seasonal arc. So, either season 1 or season 4.

BtVS: 5=6>2=3>8=7>4=9>>>1.
AtS: 5>9>2=3>4=1. Yep, season 9 of 'Angel & Faith' is better than the first 4 seasons of AtS. A lot of it is because it finally has Faith in a regular starring role, but it's also just very well-written and well-drawn.

If the Big Bad of season 6 is life itself, as Joss says, then that's the one. Otherwise... Either Angelus or the Mayor.

Either 'Becoming', or 'The Gift', or 'Chosen', or 'Last Gleaming'. They're all so beautiful, I can't choose!

AtS always struggled with finales, unfortunately... 'Not Fade Away' is probably the best AtS finale, but it's still seriously flawed, IMO.

BtVS: Nope, impossible to choose.

AtS: 'A Hole in the World', EASILY. It's such an incredible masterpiece... Like a 42-minutes-long opera.

Finally, what would you like to add? What’s so special about BtVS and AtS?

Well... It's my favorite fictional universe, by far. I never identified with ANY fictional characters the way I identify with these silly, beautiful characters. They have this unparalleled power to make me feel for them, and think about things in new ways, and smile, and laugh, and cry, and so many other things. I really can't imgaine my life without them, and I have NO IDEA how I managed to live 22 full years before discovering them.

Bless your heart, Buffy.

Last edited:
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Wow can't believe I didn't mention Buffy. Guess I just took her for granted lol.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Cordy and Buffy

The Trio was terrible. Dawn, Kennedy and (at times) Spike were a near miss for me.

Cordy, Lilah, Buffy

Riley Finn and Angel

Eh, the first few watches would be Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Riley...but these days I stay away from shipping. Wesley/Lilah was a fantastic couple though!

Buffy’s soulmate?
Angel. But people don't always end up with their soulmates. And I think an argument can be made for people having more than one in their lifetime.

Willow’s soulmate?
I don't think Tara has met her soulmate yet.

Xander’s soulmate?
I don't know.

Angel's soulmate?

Darla and Buffy.

Cordelia's soulmate?
I don't think she had one that we saw.

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred was his big love that we saw but I don't know that I'd call them soulmates...maybe though.

Buffy killing Angel, Tara being shot was surprising, Lilah's was sad.

2 and 3 are my favorite BTVS seasons - IMO the plot line was the best, characters were strong, lots of good writing and acting.

2 of Angel was by far my favorite because of the dark Angel arc. Might be my favorite season overall.

Hmmm I think BTVS season 5 or 7.

BTVS: 2,3,1,4,6,7,5
Angel: 2,1,4,3,5 (but I enjoyed them all)

Angelus, Drusilla

Becoming pI and II

So many. Homecoming is my favorite episode that isn't typically listed as one of the best episodes.

Good story, likable cast, nostalgia, solid writing.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Giles' sarcasm on Buffy :p
Doyle on Angel

Andrew on Buffy (Riley is a close second, but I can stand him, I just don't like him, at all, but I still rather him than Andrew)
Knox on Angel

Faith/Tara on Buffy
Fred on Angel

Giles on Buffy
Wesley on Angel

Fuffy and Tillow

Buffy’s soulmate?
Faith

(I truly think she's Buffy's soulmate, although maybe not romantically, she is the closest thing Buffy will ever have to a soulmate. Someone who fully gets Buffy. She's the only person in the world that can share what Buffy has, and understand it.)

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara

Xander’s soulmate?
Dawn

Angel's soulmate?

Darla

(as tempting as it is to say Buffy, I think in the end, it was always gonna come down to Darla in some shape or form)

Cordelia's soulmate?
I don't think she ever met her soulmate

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred

Tara on Buffy
Fred on Angel

Buffy s6- I like the themes of the season. I've always been a fan of a darker thematic. More grey areas, more personal conflicts. (My favourite would have been s3 but there was too much Bangel drama for me, I felt like Angel should have left after Amends and the season would have been perfect!)
Angel s2-Same as above.

Buffy s7-Lazy writing, too much time spent on useless characters (Andrew!!!!), deus ex machina ending, little to no character development, no Scooby interactions, the assassination of Giles as a character etc.
Angel s5-Great season, but I'm not a huge fan of the W&H setting

BtVS-6, 3, 5, 2, 1, 4, 7
AtS-2, 1, 3, 4, 5 (been ages since I've seen s4, it might be better than I remember. The Faith arc alone makes it good)

BtVS-Dark Willow
AtS doesn't really have big bads, but of course W&H is the best one on that show

BtVS-Restless is the best finale (but the final arc isn't great). s3 and 6 have the best final arcs.
AtS-Not Fade Away

One is really, really hard to choose, but I would say:
BtVS: Restless
AtS: A Hole in the World

It's hard to pin point exactly what makes these shows, especially BtVS, so special. I think it's just a whole package. But my favourite thing is probably the metaphors.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
This is hard. Probably Xander, but also Anya, Oz, Cordy, and Spike.

Hmm, I dislike Justine, Robin Wood, and Tara.

I'm gonna have a tie between Buffy, Willow and Faith.

Hmm... Probably Xander if I have to pick.

Faith and Buffy. Willow and Oz second.

Buffy’s soulmate?
Faith. I think she and Buffy are soulmates in every way. They're so different, and so they force each other to see themselves in a different way than they normally would, and yet they are the only ones that can really understand each other. Personality-wise, Slayer-wise they just have this connection, and I think it's safe to say that it's possible that they are literally soulmates and had some parts of their actual souls connected due to being the only two (real) Slayers. I got the feeling that they were always looking for the part in themselves that was missing that the other person had, and that's were jealousy can come in. Romantically I think they are or would definitely be soulmates as well, and I think this intensity kind of scares them (especially Buffy). Okay rant over...

Willow’s soulmate?
No one. I think Oz suited her the best.

Xander’s soulmate?
No one.

Angel's soulmate?
No one.

Cordelia's soulmate?
No one.

Wesley's soulmate?
No one.

Hmm...Wesley's

BTVS: Season 3 by far. It's one of my favorite TV seasons of all time. Everything is perfect: the Scooby gang together and happy, Oz and Cordy still there, Faith, Faith and The Mayor, the one offs like The Wish. So good.
ATS: This is harder, maybe season 5?

BTVS: Season 7 is crap.
ATS: Hmm maybe 1

BTVS:

ATS:

The Mayor! He's funny, and weird, and evil.

This is so hard, but Graduation Day.

Ack, either Dopplegangland or Grad Day I think.

They are just amazing, and just have this energy you can't get anywhere else.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
That's actually a really tough one to start. There's not just a funny character. So many characters bring a lot of humour to the universe. Maybe Xander overall since I find him amusing and he's an ever present. Giles, Spike, Buffy and others could be considered.
Rona. I swear she was introduced to make the First Evil more relatable.
Buffy. No contest for me on this one. I can nearly always see where she's coming from and I'm always routing for her. A great blend of wanting to be normal and also caring too much to not help people. There's a great humour to the character but she can also be deadly serious.
Xander. Not as clear cut this time. I love early Giles. Oz is awesome. Spike gets some of the best episodes and lines. Xander is just such a great and under appreciated character. His bravery is completely off the charts. The way he cares so much about his friends is admirable. I like that he tries to keep morale up with humour. He's also not afraid to stand up to people and make big decisions.
I'm not a worshiping kinda guy so I'll leave this one.
Don't really believe in soulmates. I'll take it to mean who would a person choose to be with if the various Buffyverse complications were removed. In Buffy's case I believe that would be Angel. I'm not in any way convinced it would work out but without trying it I believe it'll always be in the background for both of them.
Willow’s soulmate?
She'd definitely choose Tara in a heart beat. Again it might not work out though. Willow playing with Tara's mind is so extreme that it doesn't bode well for a life time together. Maybe Willow needs someone a bit more powerful as a partner.
Xander’s soulmate?
I think Xander is more about his friends than soulmates. There could be a case for Buffy given their friendship and his early crush on her but he did end up rejecting her. He seems to click well with Dawn but I think soulmates would be pushing it.
Angel's soulmate?
Buffy. I know he has a history with Darla but he doesn't know the first thing about her with a soul and there's no way he'd want a life with a soulless vampire. Take out the complications and he'd go straight for Buffy.
Cordelia's soulmate?
I haven't seen anything to suggest she had a soulmate. Maybe her and Doyle would have been special but we'll never know.
Wesley's soulmate?
Fred. He'd choose her every time. He didn't have her on the pedestal some people think either. He knew about her dark side and need for revenge. He embraced that about her, loved her intelligence, humour and bravery as well.
Joyce. I don't even like Joyce but The Body is a brutally brilliant episode and so it's the most touching by far. The effect on Buffy is heart breaking and the reaction of everyone else is so raw.
Buffy Season 3. It's just awesome. The show is in full stride and we get so much to enjoy this season. All the main characters are here. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Wesley, Oz, Cordelia, Spike, Faith etc. It's pretty much a who's who of the show. We get great one of episodes, we get an excellent big bad and loads of good character moments and humour.

I'm not so sure on Angel. I have more trouble with separating and defining the seasons. I think maybe Season 1 was the best as I enjoyed the monster of the week episodes and we got Doyle.
Buffy Season 6. This is a lot closer than it used to be. I think it might actually be a superior to Season 7 after my latest re-watch. They suffer from similar problems of having a very weak stretch in the middle. I struggle to enjoy Season 6 though because Buffy is depressed and that's just hard to watch.

Angel Season 3. I always thought it was Season 4 because of the Jasmine arc but Season 3 is so weak outside of the Holtz storyline. The love triangles absolutely destroy the quality everything around them.
Buffy - 3,2,1,4,5,7,6 - Season 2 is very close to top spot. I group Season 1 in with the High School seasons in general. I loved it despite a few problems. Since it's only 12 episodes I think it's fair to cut it some slack. Season 6 and 7 are pretty much a tie for me now I think.

Angel - 1,2,5,4,3 - This isn't set in stone at all. I don't think there's much to choose between 1 and 2. Season 5 is very different so could go up or down depending on my mood.
Angelus. The surprise of it first time around and the devastating effect he had make him a great big bad. Really good chemistry with Spike and Dru as well.
Becoming. It's so gut wrenching and powerful. Buffy wins but loses everything. Still get goosebumps thinking about it now.

Not Fade Away for Angel was a good finish.
No I couldn't choose one. Soon as I did something else would pop into my head.
Everything about BTVS is special. The characters and the dialogue are the driving force. We also got great action, story telling and surprises. AtS is remarkable for a spin off as it builds on the world and delivers some excellent moments of its own.

Bluebird
Bluebird
lol Rona was AWFUL
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Rona is the Jar Jar Binks to Kennedy's Scrappy Doo. Both are annoying little gits.

Sternbeeere

Glory´s sane(?) groupie
Spike

Parker, I think, Warren, but that is a character I love to hate

Glory

Spike

I am torn between Fuffy and Spuffy

That is a though one, I do not really know, I am following my intuition and say Faith here.

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara or Alyuwin.

Xander’s soulmate?
I do not like it, but I guess it is Dawn

Angel's soulmate?

Either Spike or Darla

Cordelia's soulmate?
In non relationship terms I would say either Harmony or Glory, I do not know in terms of relationships though
Wesley's soulmate?
Fred.

Joyce and Jenny Calender.

Buffy season 5, because all my favourite characters either appear there or are at their best.
With Angel I am not sure since I did not watch all seasons

Buffy season 4, it is a bit dull.
Angel again not sure, I think it is season 1, it is kind of a slow start.

Glory in Buffy Angel Illyria, although she becomes good at the end so I do not know if she counts.

Becoming in Buffy

Fool for love

Buffy and Angel have a lot of depth allusions to cultural and social problems as well as popculture references.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Some great answers. Nice summing up at the end there!

Priceless

Scooby
Xander

Andrew

Buffy

Spike

Spuffy

Spike

Willow’s soulmate?
Alyuwin . . . so far

Xander’s soulmate?
Dawn

Angel's soulmate?

Cordy . . . or Faith

Cordelia's soulmate?
Angel

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred

Joyce

Season 6 - it's darker, more adult and shows real character growth that is relatable

I love every season of Buffy, but I guess I'll say S1 because it's too short

The Mayor without a doubt

Season 7, almost perfect ending to an almost perfect show

No, it's like picking your favourite child (I assume :))

It's incredibly well written, the characters have real depth, its funny and moving and is just an absolute classic. Everyone should watch the whole series as least once . . . though once you've watched it, once won't be enough :D

Reactions: Guy

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
I'm doing this based on BTVS because I haven't watched all of Angel or the comics.

Spike

Cordelia (there were minor characters I didn't like but she was one of the few majors that I didn't like)

Buffy and Willow are tied for me

Spike

Willow/Tara

There is a theory about soul mates that they aren't necessarily a romantic partner, and that you don't have just one, you sort of have a pack you reincarnate with over and over again so...going on that...Willow, Giles, Spike

Willow’s soulmate?
Buffy, Xander, Tara

Xander’s soulmate?
Willow, Spike, Dawn

Angel's soulmate?

Spike, Buffy

Cordelia's soulmate?
That would require a soul wouldn't it?

Gile's soulmate?
Buffy, Spike, Ethan

Spike's soulmate?
Dru, Angel, Buffy

Jenny and Tara, they were both so senseless and brutal

What is your favorite season of BTVS and why?

Season 5, because you made me choose. There were a lot of really interesting ideas played out, some great shows. Some days I'd say S6, so maybe ask me again tomorrow

S7, so much of it was like a lead weight, and I thought too many of the things were handled stupidly.

The trio

Becoming 1 and 2. It didn't get overblown. I hate big overblown season finales, they never live up to their own hype

School Hard. I think it is the essence of BTVS in one amazing episode. I watch it over and over and over and over

Finally, what would like to add? What’s so special about BtVS?

It was smart, funny and interesting. The show varied a lot so it didn't get boring. It have a balance of drama, monster of the week and romance that works for me. It interested me on a lot of levels AND, it's the kind of show you can discuss with people. So I get a lot of mileage out of it. Some shows are great but there isn't much to talk about. I watched BTVS with a group of people and we used to talk about it endlessly, so it made it much more of an experience than most TV shows.

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
On a consistent basis, Andrew. Everybody else had their moments, but only Andrew was designed to be and remained the comedic relief. And early Xander's jokes somewhat matched the 'lingo' during that time, which was a few years before my own high school years. So i couldn't relate.

Adam....that transformer mofo. And Jasmine, a supposed world ender who does such by bringing forth world peace. I think the idea's behind both characters are sound, but what we saw on screen makes me skip certain season 4 episodes of both Buffy and Angel every time i re-watch.

All time, season 3 Faith. If i can't go by season, Illyria.

Angelus

Weslah, the forbidden fruit thing and it made Angel feel like so much more of an adult show.
Xanya, relate-ability. If you want to nullify Anya being a demon or match that when the wife is angry with you, up to you.

Faith. The connection they share gives them a very special bond which she could not have with any other. As we witnessed on screen, unless i completely missed something.

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara. Next.

Xander’s soulmate?
Anya. Will still never accept Dawn and Xander linked romantically. Sexually, cringe worthy but sure, however not romantically.

Angel's soulmate?

Darla. May not be pretty, but look what happened.

Cordelia's soulmate?
None.

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred.

Used to be Tara's. But growing older, i have to skip the episode which starts with Buffy coming home to dead Joyce. Seeing Dawn melt down in the school hallway when Buffy has to tell her, hits something with me.

Buffy Season 3:
-Faith
-Mayor
-End of Angel and Buffy relationship, which allows for Angel spin off
-Mr. Trick.
-Final episode battle
-And more.

Angel Season 5:
-Last half people get serious.
-We see deals made with different devils to keep the greater good.
-Illyria

Honorable mention - first half of season 4, until Jasmine is introduced. The beast was kick ass and Angelus 'Makes Me Randy Baby, Yeaaahh'

Buffy Season 4 - later half
Cyborg transformer Adam will never sit well with me. Execution of the character ruined it for me.

Angel Season 4 - later hald
Execution of Jasmine makes her appear more like a savior than a evil force.

Angel: S5>S4>S3>S2>S1 (Westley's comedy was amazing in S1, but i never liked Kate).
Buffy: S3>S7>>S6>>S2>S5>S1>S4
(Season 3 has young and luscious Faith and the Mayor and an amazing final battle which should of had Alice Cooper's 'school's out for summer' playing during the battle.
Buffy's speech after getting whooped by Uber vamp always gives me chills.
Evil Willow makes me want to bow and tell her i'm not worthy.
Season 2 was just solid and had Angelus.
Season 5 was decent and spawned Buffy bot fan fiction so it's up there.
A big chunk of Season 1 us almost unwatchable for me.
Season 4 has my most hated character).

Angelus more so in Angel than in Buffy
Followed by the Mayor and Dark Willow.
I like my villains either charmingly funny yet ultimately evil, or just plain mentally/emotionally unstable and unpredictable.

Angel - Final episode of Season 5. I'll never forget the last scene when it's raining in the alley. "Personally, i want to slay the dragon...let's get to work."...Was so pumped, but so unhappy that i couldn't see how it turned out. Which helped me fall in love with Angel comic ' After the Fall'.

Buffy: Other than comedy episodes like 'Beer Bad' or the thanksgiving episode in S4, Last episode of S3 and S7

Angel: First half of S4 was so good, all the first half episodes. Faith comes back, fight with the Beast, Angelus...i'm going to go back and watch Angel S4 next week!
And of course, Last episode of S5

Both: The choreography! I have never seen a show similar to Buffy or Angel which has choreographed fight scenes. I sorely miss that in similar genre shows today such as Vampire Diaries or the Originals.

Buffy: The only show i have seen which mixes fantasy/supernatural stuff with relate-able every day stuff. High school drama, graduating, getting a job, college, buying a home, taking care of a home and family, death in the family, family and friend falling outs and back in's, and becoming an adult finally. And doing all that very well and injecting comedy gold, as well as havng at least one character everybody can cling to. This show literally did it all, and can transcend age and generational barriers. Look at all the younger people joining the site now, and the show has been over for how many years?

And Buffy, the character is an icon for women to look up to. You don't get much better of a strong female role model than Buffy Summers.

Angel: Basically a show for the male fan's of Buffy, as well as for fan's of Buffy who wanted a more adult oriented Buffy show Pre Buffy S5'ish and on. Less relate-ability across the board definitely, but still scratched that itch of 'Ok i like Buffy, but enough with the kid's stuff.'

adzpower

Townie
Anya, I just loved her, the bunnies! And her money!

It’s either Connor or Riley, both so annoying, so stupid and naïve.

It’s between Buffy, Faith, Fred or Anya, can’t pick, all so great.

Wesley, I just love his development.

Willow and Tara, such a beautiful love story, such a shame the way it ended.

Angel or Faith for sure. They’re really the only two people who understand her.

Willow’s soulmate?
Tara. No explanations.

Xander’s soulmate?
Anya. She was just quirky enough to off-set his humour.

Angel's soulmate?

Darla, I think she was the only character who truly understood him.

Cordelia's soulmate?
Herself.

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred.

Joyce or Jenny Calendar, Joyce’s because it just hit so hard, and Jenny’s because of the epic chase and then her body on Giles’ bed, so poetic and tragic.

Buffy – Season 3, had everything, drama, action, romance, cool plots, twists and turns, and the best variation of the Scoobies imo.

Angel – Season 2 – Loved seeing Angel struggle with his dark side, and the team was great.

Buffy – Season 1, it was just a bit basic really, and the Master storyline was so rushed at the end.

Angel – Season 4, only saving grace is Wes/Lilah and the Faith episodes, absolute shambles of a season. I won’t even explain the horror I felt at witnessing Cordelia and Connor’s incestuous, nasty, cringe-worthy “romance”.

Buffy – 3, 2, 5, 6, 7, 4, 1

Angel – 2, 3, 5, 1, 4

Dark Willow or Glory, both so badass.

Buffy season 2 – Angelus arc, epic!

Nope, far too many to include.

I could write an essay on this. They touch people, emotionally, intellectually, mentally. The characters are so relatable and you really want them to succeed. Not to mention each character represents something different, you can learn something from all of them.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Probably a tie between Angel (on AtS, although he had a couple of laugh out loud moments on Buffy before he left) and Giles.

S6 Willow.

Lilah followed by Gwen Raiden followed by Illyria.

Wesley, then an Angel/Spike tie.

Wesley/Lilah. Worship isn't the phrasing I'd use, but I could definitely relate, and they were a very realistic and true pairing in the fantasy verse that is the Buffyverse. Plus they made me feel the film noir in AtS again whenever they were onscreen.

Buffy’s soulmate?
Dawn.

Willow’s soulmate?
Oz.

Xander’s soulmate?
Willow.

Angel's soulmate?
Spike.

Cordelia's soulmate?
Lorne.

Wesley's soulmate?
Illyria.

Wesley's, closely followed by Spike's (BtVS).

Buffy Season 5/Angel Season 5. Both great endings to their respective shows (or should have been).

Buffy Season 7/Angel Season 3 (if I really have to choose).

Buffy - 5, 4, 2, 1, 6, 3, 7
Angel - 5, 4, 1, 2, 3

Adam, followed by Glory.

BtVS - s5
AtS - s5

Not Fade Away, or Are You Now or Have You Ever Been

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Hmm, well I never contributed my funniest lines to any one character, but maybe Spike? He could be funny in most situations and has that same saracstic sense of humor that I was raised on. Otherwise, maybe dorky!Wes, or Angel's deadpan humor?

Connor. I've considered this since joining the board, I used to think it was Riley or Kennedy, but no, I honestly can't stand him; I feel no empathy for him, he wasn't portrayed very well (though that could be the writers fault, not Vincent) and I found myself cheering on anyone who may have a shot at killing him off. Grr...

Faith. She has always been the one I identified with the most, she wasn't around for more than 26 episodes which left me wanting more (main characters are often fleshed out enough that you don't feel this way) and Eliza portrayed her very convincingly throughout her entire arc.

Wesley. Also something I reconsidered on joining the boards, it used to be Spike. But I've come to find that I truly enjoy him on so many levels (thanks, in part, to @Carrie Hopewell and her defending him in posts) his entire arc is the most complex out of any other character, imo, and his relationship with Lilah is both poignant, entertaining and just a thrill and a heartbreak to watch unfold.

Spuffy. The past tense is a good thing, cause that's another thing that changed, though not because of the boards. I guess I just changed. I mean, I still ship them, but I don't worship them anymore. Don't think I worship any pairing at this point.

Dawn, for sure. There is no one in the world she loved more and, no offense, but she deserves a better soulmate than Angel - with an unstable soul - and Spike - with a tarnished soul (much like Angel's). If she wants one of them as a romantic partner, fine, but I'd count her sister - made from her essence - as her true soulmate.

Willow’s soulmate?
I'd say she has two - Tara is her romantic soulmate, Xander is her platonic soulmate.

Xander’s soulmate?
Willow.

Angel's soulmate?

Connor. Similar reasons to my answer for Buffy, without the following add :)

Cordelia's soulmate?
No clue. I like to ship Xandelia, but that doesn't mean I think they were 'meant to be'. Besides, if everyone had a soulmate, it would kind of cheapen the whole thing, lol.

Wesley's soulmate?
Fred. The question is, is Wesley Fred's soulmate? Hmm... Reminds of a line I once read in a fanfic. "She's meant to be the love of Wesley's life." Wesley ran through these words in his mind and couldn't help but wonder; was he the love of hers? Not word for word, of course :)

Honestly, almost all of them. All for different reasons. And lord knows it's been too long for me to remember my initial reaction.

I absolutely can't pick between S2 and S5 of Buffy, and S1 and S5 of Angel.
S2 of Buffy is breathtaking in its raw pain, incredible acting and the risks the writers took with the stories they told. S5 is what should have been the true ending to an iconic show and gave Buffy a love of her life that didn't revolve around romance.
S1 of Angel was chock full of noir, amazing chemistry between all the characters, great MOTW episodes and a finale that was explosive - sorry for the pun - on a more personal level. At the same time, S5 was similar, in that it had great character arcs/evolvement, storytelling and MOTW episodes, ending with a truly spectacular two-punch finale with Power Play and NFA.

S4 for Buffy and S4 for Angel, lol. Dammit, 4, stop being so annoying! At least S4 of Supernatural was a stunning piece of television, phew.

BtVS: S2/S5>S1>S3>S6>S7>S4. I might change my mind next time someone asks me, though. Haven't rewatched in years.
AtS: S1/S5>S2>S3>S4. This one is pretty set, I think.

I'd say Glory for Buffy (mostly because Angelus wasn't the main bad the entire season and I prefer AtS S4 Angelus), W&H for Angel.

Becoming Pt. II for Buffy, Not Fade Away for both shows :D

Absolutely not, that'd be crazy o_O

Ugh, stop asking the hard questions! Special? The show itself, really, the themes it went into, the unique characters it created (yes, they were a spin on tropes, but they also took care to destroy those tropes, imo) the future TV/Movies/Books it would influence (minus Twilight, JW deserves his own spot in hell for that alone) and so on. Honestly, the fact that it's still so vehemently discussed today says it all.

Last edited:
Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
Happy to oblige :)
Top Bottom