• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 1 - June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

Scooby

BUFFY-BOARDS NEWSLETTER
June 2008

~~~~~~~~~~​

Welcome Buffy-Boarders to the first official Buffy-Boards Newsletter!

Here you will find updates on all things Buffy-Boards, from what's happening around the boards to news about our members. Watch for special contributions from our very own BB'ers, answer our Question of the Month, and and enjoy the musings (or rantings?) of June's special guest speaker, nerd4hire.

Let's get the business side of things out of the way shall we?

Welcome New Members!

A warm welcome to all new members who have joined us here at Buffy-Boards! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Do stop by and post an introduction in Check In if you haven't already. Take some time and get acquainted with our FAQ, and get adopted in Bad Eggs. Get yourself a custom banner made by one of our very own Official Banner Makers, and don't forget to get sorted into a Board Dormitory, we look forward to seeing you in the there!

The new members for the month of May were:

Moderator Updates

Buffy Summers' film has wrapped and she is now back full-time! Welcome back Buffy! Your presence here was missed!

Board News

There is a new RPG running, called The Dark Ages: Through the Looking Glass and it's sure to wow you.

The cast list is as follows:

Lyri - Darla
Keanoite - Angel
VisionGuy - Cordelia
Jenny - Tara
Black Eye Guy - Faith
Mesektet Ra - Drusilla
Joyce Summers - Buffy
Blondie Bear - Oz
Crazy Flakes - Willow

We are still casting so PM Lyri with your top three choices along with an 'audition' as one of your choices! The following characters are still available:

Xander
Giles
Dawn
Spike

~~~~~~~~~~

For the artistic members or those with an exceptional amount of House pride, there is an Inter-Dorm House Banner competition currently running, so break out your blends and win your house some points and glory!

~~~~~~~~~~

The Buffy Season 8 forums are hopping - have some fun with the Guess the Big Bad and earn your House some points!

From the Members

Are you a bloody awful poet? Do you lurk in Art Class? Got something to say? PM Jenny and we may include your work in future issues!

Member Recognition

This is where the moderators will take the time to recognize members whose contributions to the boards have really stood out. They have exuded the spirit that IS Buffy-Boards with every post.

The New Member of the Month for June is: The Kinslayer

The Member of the Month for June is: Joyce Summers

Congratulations to you both!!

Question of the Month

Each month I will put to the board a different question. The top 5 answers will be included in next month's newsletter. The question for June is:

"Why Buffy Matters."

Broad I know. We look forward to hearing from you. Please PM ~angelic slayer~ your submissions by June 28th.

Burning Question

Have you always wondered where Old Master III buys his socks? Want to know what shampoo Buffy Summers likes? One question per month will be answered here, so put your thinking caps on and go ahead, dare to ask that em err....burning question.

Send your PM to Jenny with your Burning Question!

Speaker's Corner

This month's special guest speaker is our very own nerd4hire.

~~~~~~~~~~​

Fan Boards, Buffy-Boards and Me

It was around or about the beginning of the new millennium. The last, gasping chugs of hopeful, birthing, innovation were being heard as the Internet boom train chugged into the station of what we have today.

New ideas had popped up on the forming Web like little settlements, and there were already many ghost towns of failed experiments, as hopeful investments began to reveal themselves as mistakes.

And from my perspective there was me "“ another settler of this new frontier, computer ignorant, and a total hick of the World Wide Web's rendition of the wild, west. I quietly watched, having snuck aboard, as the Internet progressively found new ways to talk to itself.

There I was, fumbling about with newsgroups, irritated by the chaos of message strings on bulletin boards, joining in the addictive energy of the new Internet messaging systems such as ICQ. Did you know there used to be these programs where you could post messages directly onto another person's web page in a secondary layer? They were fun.

But that was then. I appear before you now a grizzled old prospector of the boom times. I have tedious tales to tell.

Why I remember when these new things started to pop up. They were directed at the bulletin board crowd, but they were organized. A subject of interest was grouped into subcategories in what were called forums. Message threads were sub grouped within the forums, and organized in a readable, linear fashion, uncustomary to us bulletin board people. They were called message boards.

Around about this time communications from the real world began to intrude on your humble observer as he explored the frontiers of virtual reality. A buzzing was interrupting in the area of the third ear, sourced from the direction of the television set. The TV often played in the background as I bounced and bumbled about the Internet. But there was this one particular program demanding I direct my attention away from the computer screen, and towards it. "Watch me", it commanded. Eventually I complied, and against my better judgment found myself laboring with a new addiction. It was a television program with the unlikely title of Buffy the Vampire slayer.

Addiction is perhaps unfair. Let's defer to the more comfortable term of obsession. Like most obsessions this one demanded more. More knowledge. More feedback. But where to get it?

I needed to know, yet had no answers, then this happened. You know how when you get an incoming IM (Internet Message) there's this ting, or bing, or bong alerting you to the fact a message is waiting. Any mention of the word Buffy in either reality was my ting, or bing or bong. It was like baby sobs in the background to a new mother. The sound only I heard.

Through these under-layered communications I became aware of a new phenomena. Internet fandom.

Apparently, and unbeknownst to me, as the Internet was becoming a new reality insinuating itself on the real world something else was happening. Fans of books, movies, and television programs were becoming an actual force insinuating itself on the new Internet media provider. The movers and shakers were beginning to notice. Fans of particular content were sharing information on the Web, actually communicating with creators, creating their own art. New words were insinuating themselves on my lexicon such as fanfic, and banners. The movement's appearance had the rulers of the art in a state of confusion. What to do? Allow it? Control it? The current strategy appeared to be tolerate it.

In the midst of all this I began to hear that term again "“ message boards. By this time I knew what message boards were. I'd lurked about on computer, and Internet themed boards, but rarely felt inspired enough to register, and when I did, I quickly lost interest.

Now however, the new obsession was holding the reins, and cracking the whip, "Learn, damn you. Communicate. Wshhht, crrrrack."

I hit a search engine and typed in "“ "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". My jaw dropped as thousands of entries popped up before me. (Yeah, I know. Millions now). "Where had I been when all this had been going on?", thought I. Too many possibilities. Where to begin. To narrow things down I typed in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer message boards". The first grouping of entries appeared to be actual boards. I clicked from the top down.

Registering at the first board under what was now my customary user name of John Smith, I cracked my knuckles, and began the process of introducing myself with my first ever message board post. Hate me later, but for now I'll tell you for whatever reason when my Buffy obsession first presented itself Sarah Michelle Gellar bugged me. For some reason I believed these what-cha-call fans were sitting there waiting to be enthralled by that information, and I began... Liberal sprinklings of words like diva, and self-obsessed decorated the post. I think I even mentioned the nose.

Banned...

Yes your eager narrator was banned from the first Buffy board he ever joined after his first post. Apparently you didn't diss the Sarah in the early days of fan boards. Nevertheless a minor setback to the truly obsessed. Undeterred, I clicked the second entry on the search engine list.

A message board veteran of one board now I signed up at the second, taking advantage of knowledge gleaned from the first. I had now learned message board fan people signed up with names taken from the subject of their fandom. I decided on the user name Mr. Pointy. How inspired I thought, as I planned to captivate the membership with my pointed observations and retorts. Little did I know another I would meet later was being stricken by the same inspiration at about the same time. Me as Mr. Pointy however was wiser than me as John Smith. I actually read the FAQs (frequently asked questions) this time. I studied the existing posts, looking to make sense of the underlying rules of fan etiquette which lay waiting to grab, and shake the unwitting new member like a pit bull on a poodle.

Finally, and with the confidence of the now-knowing, I cracked my knuckles once more, and created my first thread at this new fan board. It was courteous, it was nonthreatening, it was hopeful, and two days later it was still unread. What had gone wrong. Once more I set about to study the intricacies of Internet fan boards. I systematically, dissected thread after thread looking to fathom the mystery of how the most foolish of thoughts received consideration and critique reserved for Shakespeare, yet a genuinely thoughtful post would lay there like the singing frog in the old Warner Brothers cartoon between numbers. Ribbit....

Finally the fog cleared, and out of the remaining mist I saw it for the first time "“ the most insidious of all fan board creations. The Internet clique.

Having isolated this new phenomena I once more applied study and scientific method to the problem, finally coming to a conclusion, and viable solution. There were 2 ways to break into an Internet clique, I discovered "“ sucking up, and battling one's way in.

I had not as yet perfected the skills of the suck-up. The ways of the Internet brawl however were not unknown to me. In fact, after applying subjective brilliance to a judgment of my past performance in on line word war, I proclaimed myself unbeaten in spite of innumerable battle scars to the psyche suggesting the opposite conclusion. Nevertheless to fight was not why I was there. I was there to talk Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And so...tail between my legs, and now depressed like a puppy in the rain, I returned once more to Google. I clicked to discover the third, and what I'm sure would have been my final entry into the world of Internet fan boards. The name flashed up. Buffy-Boards.com. It felt right. It felt warm. It had a ring. I wondered why I hadn't clicked this one first.

I clicked. I applied to register. I stalled on the question - User Name? My confidence still deflated, a name popped into my head which better expressed my sorry state of self-deprecation "“ Nerd4Hire. I typed it in. For the first time in my personal history on the Internet something accepted my registration on the first try. This augured well, I thought.

The new board now opened up before me. I read, I studied, I posted my first post. Not wanting to risk further humiliation, I repeated a piece of information I'd heard on one of the two previous boards, thinking surely they knew the sort of stuff Internet fan people wanted to hear.

I left that thread, buzzed about the Internet for a bit, then returned. My God! Somebody had actually replied. They were friendly. They were happy to hear from me. What just happened? I replied to the post. A reply to mine appeared almost instantly. Was this a fluke? I experimented in different forums on this board. Same thing. I'd stepped out of the depressing bog of negative fanworld, and into happyville. I was like the storm-drenched fisherman who'd discovered the sunny spot of the lake where the fish were biting. I liked it here. I resolved to stay.

And now, six years later I am here still, and telling you this story.

~~~~~~~~~~​

Would you like to be featured in our newsletter? PM Jenny with your very own sound-off.

Quote of the Month

We scoured the boards to find the most insightful and thought-provoking (or just plain fun) posts. Our favourite post of the month comes to us from ......white avenger! His response in the Your Least Favourite Character thread made me see things from an entirely new perspective.

Actually, my least favorite character in the entirety of the Buffy series is Warren. He was cruel, bullying, and just a plain EVIL HUMAN BEING. The vampires, demons, cyborgs, and other assorted baddies on the show weren't really evil as much as they were just true to their nature and saw humans as prey. I never really felt any animosity toward any of them, they were just members of the opposing army. Warren was, as far as I can remember, the only really evil human ever depicted on the show.

Thank you white avenger for your insight! And watch out Buffy-Boarders, you never know when your post may be featured here.

~~~~~~~~~~

For our quote of the month from the Buffyverse, Lyri submitted her favourite:

"You have to do what you can to protect your family. I learnt that from my father." Connor 'Origin'

Do you have a favourite quote you would like showcased? Drop ~angelic slayer~ a line!

Birthdays

No luck in letting that big day slip by unnoticed! :) Here is a listing of BB'ers Birthdays for the month of June:

~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's all for now folks, if you have any general suggestions or ideas for future issues, please PM Jenny or ~angelic slayer~, or sound-off in our Buffy-Board Newsletter Feedback thread! Deadlines for all submissions for the July newsletter is June 28th. A special thanks to edb for the creation of our beautiful Newsletter Banner, and to ~angelic slayer~ for the Birthdays and New Members images! And of course to nerd4hire for opening up his world (and mind) to us this month.

Until next time....happy staking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom