• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 17 - September/October 2010

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter!
Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

For those of you who are curious about the staff on the board go to Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts. There is also list under Member Community of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of the latest Potentials

Now we'd like to introduce you to one of our newer members who joined up in October. Raiden's BananaBuffy is a huge Spuffy fan from New Zealand who dislikes "Beer bad" and wants to travel both far and wide to see her friends and who is looking forward to trying out Angel the series in a near future.She has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:

1. Hello there BananaBuffy! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
It wasn't that long ago when I found BB. I'd heard about how The Bronze used to be the Buffy forum back when the show was still airing and I wanted to find someplace where I could discuss Buffy with fans because that's how into it I had gotten. In a search for Buffy forums I managed to find this and freaked out because it was perfect. Although at first I stayed in the shadows. Originally I thought it was amazing and was definitley the best place to talk about Buffy with the most dedicated fans.

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
Hmm...that's a good question because usually I'm looking down the side at the recently replied to forums but recently I've been in the Game Of Life section a lot because it's fun playing the games or having people tell you what they think of your banners and status and stuff. I'm also hanging around The Back Steps a lot because I'm a huge Spuffie.

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
Yes and no, because I find it very hard to pick a character that I like best out of the show. All of them are amazing and there isn't really a single one that I DON'T like. Naturally I love Spike and Willow is great. I've always said I like Tara as well and things like that. But I have always said that, as corny as it sounds, Buffy is my favourite. Only because I relate to her on an insane level. From the minute I saw her I connected wtih her and the show because she is so much like me. She talks like me, she acts like me...everything about her is like me. So when I'm asked my favourite character I usually say Buffy...or Spike :p.

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
Seeing as I entered the Buffyverse...well, it's actually coming up to the two month mark, I haven't even finished watching every episode of Buffy yet. However, I have seen the bulk of that show. Let's just say that Angel is my next project. It looks good although I have heard mixed reviews. My Aunty tells me it's corny but I'm choosing to ignore her.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
One thing? That's hard because I wouldn't say I'd really like to change anything. Maybe...Pat in 'Dead Mans Party', she always kind of creeped me out. Well, not creeped me out so much as got on my nerves...for no good reason either. Meh, I can't really think of anything good. All the eps are fine with me, unless you count deleting Beer Bad altogether.

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?
Watching TV shows together is a big deal in my family and so I have quite a few. I watch Gossip Girl, Glee, 90210, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Make It or Break It, Pretty Little Liars and...yeah, I think that's it off the top of my head. They're all amazing, I watch them religiously but Buffy is still my favourite.

7. What's an average day like in the life of BananaBuffy?
Is there any average days in my life? Hehe. Well, if it's a schoolday then school, neglecting to do my homework, hanging out with my friend Allyse and watching Buffy with my younger sister Tiffany-Ella and doing some sort of singing and acting. They're like my liferafts, I couldn't live without singing, acting...and Buffy. Just three things in a list of 100. I do singing lessons, drama lessons and all of that so they take up a lot of my days. But I suppose no day is average for me.

8. If you could travel anywhere n the world, where would you go and what would you like to see?
I used to always say America. Now I have been to America before but it is so my scene that I want to go again. But these days where I want to go hasn't been centered around sight-seeing, it's been centered around where my close online friends live. So Australia, Scotland, Canada, Indonesia, England and...America of course. I think it'd be great to meet the people I know so well on the internet and of course, sight see as well.
Thank you so much to BananaBuffy for giving us the time to answer these questions! :D

Board News

BB Raffle

Yes, it is true! Until the end of the month you have a chance win a Replica BtVS prop made and generously donated by BB-member buffyprops. If this sounds interesting then run right on over to the Raffle! to take part of this unique opportunity.

Halloween
Halloween was celebrated around the boards in the shapes of icons and banners and all the like but we give a big thank you to the house of Raiden who shouldered a Halloween party for the boards. Run over here to see what you missed if you were away for the spooky celebrations.

BB Store
Are you in need of some new clothes for the winter? Looking for some Christmas present with that little extra? Well look no further, 'ships have taken over control of the BB Store! Pick up an "Adopt a Bangel" or "S.O.S - Save Our Spuffies" shirt to cheer your daily mood this season.
Here you can take a look at the design or hop on straight to the store http://www.cafepress.com/buffyboards for these goodies. Better hurry up though, the design is up for a limited period of time and will disappearing closer to the holidays :)

Have no fear though for at the end of November a new batch of holiday themed products will be ready to take their place :)

Banner Competitions
Congratulations to EntertainUs and HisMrs both for winning a banner competition - thus winning 100 house points each. See all contributions here: Round1, Round 2

Board Changes
Some reminders from the previous board changes, there is the Welcome Back! thread for all the new changes to the board since its return, such as the new forums that have been added, and the new homes of the Off Topic forums and the Dormitories. Also be sure to refamilarise yourself with the Rules/FAQ..

The Board Chat [#buffyboards] is still officially re-opened. It is very important that you read the thread Darla has directed you to in the Welcome Back thread that can be found here: Board Chat Re-Opened.​

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

For September

Posted by Caitaintdead in Sept. 19-25 Discussion - led by HisMrs:

I have been told that line, I had just turned 18 years old and so out I walked. I had to find myself somewhere to say, and a job to sustain myself. Sure it's a huge difference between being 16 and having to go through all that, but I think it's safe to say that I understand what Joyce had said to Buffy and how horrible it would have felt for Buffy to feel like she was not being accepted for who she was.

The point is that people seem to be disregarding Joyce's feelings as a human being as well. Joyce did NOT really want to never see her daughter again. She wanted her daughter to make some time to sit down and discuss what was going on. She wanted them to click like a mother and daughter should. Joyce did not understand what was going on, and lashed out.

Joyce saying something she did not mean does not make her a bad mother. Aside from in The Brady Bunch I think you'll have difficulty finding any mother that hasn't had a fight with her daughter that has resulted in harsh words being said.

Joyce may not be a perfect mother. The mother that you wish you had at the moment. But she was a good mother.

Perhaps at the beginning of this discussion we should have all decided what the definition of 'good mother' is. I see 'good' as satisfactory quality. I can't think of one example we have been given that she is a bad mother. She is definitely not an unsatisfactory mother. Therefore, she must be a good mother.
For October:
Posted by ChosenEnemy in the thread The Fate of Tara:

It might be an excuse, but what isn't? Say, OMWF's demon's appearance just so the cast could sing. Spike trying to rape Buffy just so he will get a soul. Spike's chip so he will be with the rest of the scoobies and part of the cast, and more!

As I see it, a TV show can't not progress, or it would all be useless. There is no one scene in a show/movie that's just there to fill in the space in the script.

Tara was Joss' victim. But if not her, someone else would. Willow needed it to progress, not just the show. And just because they had happy lives and were Dawn's parents, doesn't mean life isn't mean sometimes, if we look at it from the natural life's view. Something unexpected happened. And season 6 was about life itself. To me, it's just natural for something like this to happen. It makes sense, it should happen, no matter how hurtful it is.

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month September

Member of the Month September

New Member of the Month October

Memeber of the Month October

As part of our efforts to eradicate bullying on the board, The BB Staff has decided to add this monthly award to reward Respectful behaviour around BB. Members who receive the WWF Award have shown nothing but respect for their fellow members this past month; demonstrating politeness around the boards as well as a consideration for others' opinions.

And the recipient of the Why We Fight Award, October 2010 is:
HisMrs

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=39022&page=12

MinwaraYana
MinwaraYana
Great job! :D
B
Big Damn Hero
I definatly approve of this :)
HisMrs
HisMrs
OMG how did I not see this til now?? Great job on the newsletter honey!! Amazing work!
Top Bottom