• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 20 - February 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter!​

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

For those of you who are curious about the staff on the board go to Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts. There is also list under Member Community of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of the latest Potentials

1. Hello there Carrr2488! For how long have you been a Buffy fan and what about the show captured your interest?

I have been a fan of Buffy for about three or four years now but I haven't actually taken the time to watch the entire show until this past December. I have a friend who loves Buffy and she got me interested so I would catch some episodes over the years on various TV channels. I finally decided to purchase the Complete Series and I'm so happy I did because this show is so great. What really drew me in at first was the Angel/Buffy relationship, who can resist forbidden love? Once I got into it, I couldn't stop and now I'm completely obsessed with all things Buffy

2. How did you find your way to BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?

I was searching about things to read online about Btvs and mainly wanted to have a community of people to talk about it with (since not many of my friends have watched the show) and that's when I came across BuffyBoards. When I first saw it I was excited to see how much information was on here and the longevity of the site as well. I liked how active all the users are and so I decided to sign up, and I love it here.

3. Have you watched any other Whedon shows? (Angel, Dr. Horrible, Firefly...) And do you have a favorite amongst them?

I have only ever watched Angel. I purchased the Complete Series a few weeks ago, and I am starting season two now. It is a lot different than Buffy but I'm learning to accept that. I like having Cordelia and Wesley there with Angel as well, it's a nice reminder of Buffy and I'm excited to get deeper into the show.

4. If you could live the life of one of the Whedon characters for one day "“ which character would you choose and why?

I would have to choose Drusilla. She is an amazing character and even though she is really weird and literally insane, I like her style. It would be nice to live as a vampire for one day just to experience a new way of life. Drusilla isn't any ordinary vampire either, she is nuts and is alway having a good time.

5. Where on the boards can you usually be found hanging out?

Everywhere! I'm interested in reading everything on here and posting my opinion as well. I love hearing others point of views as well so I am posting a lot of questions and comments to raise discussion.

6. What does an ordinary day look like to you?

I attend college and also have a part time job. I am a busy girl but I always find time for my friends and family, and Buffy stuff of course.

7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you like to see?

This is too tough a question to just choose one place. I want to see Italy, Ireland, Egypt, and the UK of course. I want to see the whole world
Thank you so much to for giving us the time to answer these questions! :D

Board News

What's going on around the boards these days? Well firstly we'd like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUFFY-BOARDS!

February 2nd the boards had their 9th birthday, celebrated in the chatroom with viewings of the original Buffy movie!

*News!
Buffy Boards now has a youtube account, so if you're on the tube hurry on over and check us out ;)

http://www.youtube.com/buffyboards

And next we'd like to turn your attention to the BB Awards! An annual fest celebrating you our terrific members!

The Buffies came and went Sunday the 27th of February.
BB'ers from all over the world gathered to chat and to watch the sixth annual airing of this award ceremony.

On behalf of the staff and judging panel I would like to thank you all for coming online and showing your good spirit and congratulating those whom you yourself nominated to these award.

A quick recap for those of you who couldn't be here
Go here to view the show:

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=53157

Go here to view the red carpet arrivals as well as the audience:

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=53156

Go here to view the afterparty:
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=53164

And the winners of the Buffies were:

Xaphania (Storyteller, Sunnydale Art Gallery)
Lyri (Faith, Sunnydale Press Award)
Andrew Crossett (Giles)
Washburne (Class Protector, Lorne)
This Year's Girl (Golden Boy)
NY State of Mind (Winifred Burkle)
InsaneMystic (Xander/Anya)
White Avenger (Superstar)
Wishing Oceans (Lil Pumpkin Belly)
Nerd4Hire (Doyle)

Raiden: 2011 House Cup Winner

Congratulations to all of our winners!

BB Store

In need of some swag to show off the BB love? Well look no further than here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/buffyboards

Other goings on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/fanficcomp.jpg
Buffy Boards Crossover ficion Competition!
Round three of the Buffy Boards Crossover-fic competition is on-going.

You can find some of the entries here https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=137

And the art department does not disappoint, go here Icon Rounds Competion! to see the beautiful icons created for the Icon Competition...

Or here... Art Battle to see HisMrs and Lyri battle it out over art challenges...

It was a Buffy-Boards Valentine!
Yay or nay?

How do you feel about Valentines? Plans with that special someone? Love to snuggle up with family and friends instead? Or do you say no to all of that?

Here are some BB Valentine yay's....

As someone who never had a boyfriend at all in high school, I was totally blown away by what romance means. If you have someone you love and who loves you, romance is not fake at all. It's simply a way for expressing your love and respect for your partner. But I will say that you can do that every day of the year, and if you ONLY do it on Valentine's Day, then it probably is fake.
I won't do anything special today at all except sending a few texts to friends. Friend love is also love. But as with the other kind of love you shouldn't do it just today but still this is what I'll do...

I don't mind V day as such but as with lots of things people/stores take it too far which can be annoying.
This year, everyone on BB is my valentine (sw) (sw) (sw)
Valentines day isn't very big in sweden, so I guess my lack of hate can come a little from there too, I've chosen to love this holiday it hasn't been thrown in my face everywhere I go.

I don't celebrate it much though. Me and my husband got together february 13, so we tend to celebrate our anniversary the day before instead. For me V-day is more about telling the people you love that you love them. I know I could do that every day, but I like that I can send some recognition on a day that is devoted to love. So I usually send texts to my friends and my family saying how much and why I love them and they always get very happy :) I'm about to do the same today. :)

Also, in sweden valentines day is called "Alla hjärtans dag" which can be translated to "All hearts day". HOW sweet is that? SO sweet :D

StarSlayer
1.)What are your feelings towards V-day?
My feelings toward Valentine's day are bittersweet. On the one hand, it's just another day that reminds me I'm single. Single Awareness Day. Yet, after I watch a romantic movie or I do something that makes me feel better about myself I don't feel as down in the dumps. I'm okay with being on my own for the time being. I know love is out there and I'll find it eventually (or it'll find me). In the meantime, I'll celebrate the spirit of love with friends and family. I don't think you can go wrong with that.

2.) Do you have any plans for V-day?
I'll probably watch a romantic movie or episodes of BtVS featuring Spuffy love!
Misty
1. What are your feelings towards V-Day? It's a special holiday, because it's not only about being in romantic relationships, it's about friendship as well and making the people you care about really happy by showing them how much you appreciate them.

2. Do you have any plans for V-Day? I'm not currently in a relationship with anyone, but I do plan to have fun and watch cheesy romance movies tonight with my family and friends.
And here are some BB Valentine nay's...

my ideal V-day is a feb 14 I don't hear the words "valentine's day." I don't care if I'm with someone or not, valentine's day is the dumbest and worst holiday ever.

I don't have Valentine's Day because I'm not with someone and if I was, I would ask them not to celebrate it. I'm morally against Valentine's Day. I really hate the holiday with a firey passion. It makes me sick.

I guess the more I think about love and stuff like that, the more I agree with Ben. Romance like this is nasty and gross and fake. What I like to call "romantic friendship" is the most beautiful love of all. You cannot have a "romantic friendship" gesture on a day because it's this special day you're supposed to show love. That's just romance. And it's fake and it's not love. I shared this theory at dinner with my family tonight and everyone said I was insane...

Caitaintdead said:
I am pretty anti-valentines yep! Haha, how ever would you have guessed?!

1.I am against Valentines Day. I'm so against that I want to kick it. Hard. It's a day that makes single people feel terrible, people with partners that live away feel lonely, people who ARE away feel homesick, people in relationship argue about a lack of, or to much romance. The only people that are happy by the end of it? Florists and card companies.

2. I have no plans for V-day. Don't get me wrong, I've had quite a few offers, both from handsome men, and fun time girls, I just don't feel like I should have to do something with people unless I want to. No one is in charge of what I do in my spare time. I don't have any reason to celebrate valentines day, so I don't! Simple! All my favourite holidays are public holidays anyway! Why would I want to go out and do stuff if I'm in work mode? Maybe I should start a petition - make Valentines Day a public holiday. I reckon then I would definitely like it.

brinkster130 said:
Don't have very exciting answers for you on this topic but here they are.

1. Do you like or dislike Valentine's day? I honestly don't care that much about it....although I do find the decorations a bit over the top and cheesy.

2. Do you have plans for V-day? Nope, no plans for me.

SHINE A LIGHT

This month we're high-lighting the fact that beloved Buffy-actress Sarah Michelle Gellar might be returning to our TV-screens. This is good news to SMG fans who will not only see the actress tackle an edgy thriller show but also tackle the job of playing two parts! SMG twins? Too good to be true some might say... Keep your eyes open for RINGER. (click image to go "Ringer" thread)

We would also like to congratulate SMG's on-screen paramour and old co-star James Marsters who tied the knot, marrying long-time girlfriend Patricia! Congrats to the couple!

Jossverse quote of the month:

"For eight years I had the pleasure of portraying a character that was the very definition of a powerful woman. In my opinion, one of the greatest examples in history of entertainment."
[Sarah Michelle Gellar on her character Buffy Summers - 2007]

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

From fly on the wall in the thread "“ Duty or Choice?
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=914521#post914521

I strongly disagree. To me, the whole show is entirely about choices. Sure, Buffy felt duty-bound at times...and why shouldn't she? She did not choose to be endowed with the Slayer powers or responsibility, and so in this way, it was out of her hands...but clearly, she could have walked away. The whole Faith plotline laid this out for us. Slayers are humans, they make mistakes, and they make choices every day...to follow along in the direction their "destiny" points, or to break away from that. And that was the point of that episode where Buffy chose to remain in Sunnydale rather than go off to college. She saw the choices Faith had made, recognized she could make choices that took her away from the Hellmouth, but CHOSE to stay. NOT because she had to, but because she decided to. I thought that point was pretty clearly made.

To suggest that one Slayer in one location doesn't make a difference, and that Buffy could be just as effective elsewhere...well, I think "The Wish" let us explore that arena. Buffy's existence exactly where she was DID make a difference, a huge one. And she would in no way be able to do her job as well from miles and miles away from the hotspot of evil, the town where she lived.

That being said, of course she gets down about being the Slayer. It's a rough gig, to say the least. Lots of us complain equally about our jobs which we are not morally bound to and could leave. Lots of us feel duty-bound to work at jobs we hate. But that doesn't mean this is Buffy's way of lamenting the fact that she has no choice in the matter. She was given the strength to fight. A lot of people aren't. A lot of people needlessly die in horrible ways, powerless to stop it...and here she is, with the power. Yes, that power was birthed in a horrible sexist and dehumanizing manner...and yes, Buffy could have rejected it at any point. But she CHOSE not to. Where you see arguably selfish resignation, I see a woman making choices in a difficult world where the enemies keep on coming.

Personally, it's not so much about self-preservation or moral standing. I think being given the ability to fight and choosing not to is an insult to every person whose power is stripped from them, whose right to choose really IS taken away by violence or murder or being turned into a vampire, and if given the Slayer powers myself, you better believe I would use them. Not because I had to, but because I could.

There were times, early on in her Slayerhood, where I'm sure Buffy didn't understand this, where she felt trapped into something she never signed up for, which is where Merrick's and Giles' advice came in...but after all she's seen, all the death and suffering she's witnessed and been able to prevent, how can we be mad that she never chose anything different?

Furthermore, choice was the whole point of "Chosen," for it cannot be argued that an enormous amount of pressure was placed on the One Slayer's shoulders. A normal, average girl, being (seemingly) randomly selected to defend the whole world? Yeah, that's pressure. By activating the scythe, Buffy was giving a CHOICE to other potentials. No one was obligated or expected to join their cause. They could choose not to with little issue, seeing as there were thousands of other Slayers who could step up to the plate. And yes, they could also choose to form rogue groups and commit acts of evil, like Faith...but again, THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT. The choice. It was actively going AGAINST the Slayer's seedy beginnings in that way.

And, on a more abstract level, this moment is important for the viewer, too. I read a Buffy secret once that said, "I don't think people who say, 'I'd been hoping to be chosen,' understand Buffy. We were all chosen." And I can't agree more with that statement. It was a way to extend this choice (to fight for good or evil) to the audience. In a metaphorical sense, of course.

From LadyLavinia in the thread "Did Buffy REALLY love Spike?"
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=900717#post900717

I think it was pretty obvious that she loved both Spike and Angel. Some fans may prefer her relationship with Angel. Some preferred her relationship with Spike. But I think she loved them both.

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month

Member of the Month

Special Notice!

For those of you looking for a board concerning more mature postings about various entertainment topics the BB has a sister board! Screen Gems :)

Screen Gems have lately enjoyed a little facelift "“ redone color schemes, new avatars and a whole new forum organization "“ so if you're aching to talk about something other than Buffy this is the place to be.

Go over here to check it out: http://www.screen-gems.net/

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

"I have never had any particular of life of my own, so I don' see any partiular reason why anyone should run out and get one. Of course, if they're dressing up like Willow and saying in their basement for nine months at a time, that's not good. But the show's desgined to foster slavish devotion; it has it from me, and I entirly respect it in others." - Joss Whedon

Last edited by a moderator:
Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
Another great newsletter! :)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom