• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 21 - March, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
HeaderMarch.jpg

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter!

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

For those of you who are curious about the staff on the board go to Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts. There is also list under Member Community of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!​

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

NewMemberMarch-1.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of the latest Potentials
Potential2.jpg

1.For how long have you been a Buffy fan and what about the show captured your interest?

Well when I was a small child I watched BtVS, as in the movie. I enjoyed it a lot, although I know now that most people don't. When I was about nine years old, the show started. Initially I was a little disappointed that Kristy would not be reprising her role. I think about five episodes in, the strangeness of Sarah went away, and I realized how amazing she was as Buffy. Even as young as I was, I considered myself a fan. I watched it my older sister every night it aired. The idea of a young, hip, and pretty girl being a hero really appealed to me and I felt I could emulate her in my life, and maybe turn out hip, pretty, and strong as well. It also didn't hurt that Xander was played by someone so handsome!

2. How did you find your way to BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?

I Recently got the internet, and while re-watching season one, I decided I wanted to converse, and discuss with other people who enjoy BtVS as much as I do.
When I first visited the site and then joined, I was surprised at how friendly everyone was, and how intelligent most of the comments were. I guess I assumed as a public forum the spelling and grammar would be kind of bad, and that most people would be writing in CAPS. It was a pleasant surprise that most of you write so well, and that you all have such a wealth of information about my favorite show.

3. Have you watched any other Whedon shows? (Angel, Dr. Horrible, Firefly...) And do you have a favorite amongst them?

I have watched some of the episodes of Angel, I stopped watching it after the Episode Darla. I didn't mean to stop watching, I was enjoying myself in fact, but I moved from Tempe to North Carolina and was unsure if I wanted to continue watching after I had missed so many episodes. I keep telling myself I'll start watching it again, but then I get sidetracked. I think I'm afraid it wont be as good as I remember.
I have not watched any of the other shows.

4. If you could live the life of one of the Whedon characters for one day "“ which character would you choose and why?

I think I would have enjoyed being Kennedy, not because she's cool or anything, but she gets to love post-dark Willow, and who wouldn't want that?

5. Where on the boards can you usually be found hanging out?

The Game of Life usually, I have a lot of fun reading peoples little "nevers", and the things they've done(THBM). I do read most of the other posts that are classified as new though.

6. What does an ordinary day look like to you?

I get up at 6am, give breakfast to my two children, I get ready for work, then I go( I work at the local hospital), come home and watch Dora the Explorer with my daughter, fix dinner, put my kids to bed at 8pm, I clean the house, then play Ragnarok Online, or watch a little T.V., then I go to bed. Anytime I have between these things, I use for being here, or reading webcomics.

7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you like to see?

I know it's probably played out, but I would really love to spend sometime in New Zealand. I've seen some documentaries and it looks like such a beautiful place.
Thank you so much to for giving us the time to answer these questions! :D

Board News

*Important, please pay attention to this
Board Behavior pt2 , and give this thread a glance if you haven't already

(https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=53567)

*The Board was down during a few days this month for maintenance, we would like to thank you for your patience during these days, allowing for optimizing board design.

BB Store
3454794.jpg

In need of some swag to show off the BB love? Well look no further than here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/buffyboards

Other goings on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/fanficcomp.jpg
Buffy Boards Crossover ficion Competition!

The winner has been announced "“ scoring a total of 100 house points "“ is the talented xfivebyfive
Compwinner.jpg

Here you can read the winning fic:
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=53514

And here is a written something from xfivebyfive to all of you here at BB:

His time was nearing an end; he could feel it in the air, every breath took him closer to his final. It wasn't supposed to end, there was no reason for him to fear for his life and yet he could feel it. For no sensible reason, he knew it would all come to an end soon.

The man sat quietly his hands folded over his face, his body rising and falling slowly with each breath. The room was dark except for the few flickering candles sitting on the old oak desk; the lights cast an eerie glow over the man. One could see the sadness in his eyes as the light danced off them. Looking down at the blank pages spread out before him, he picked up the quill and began to write.

For centuries I performed my duty, protecting the world from the evil that once ruled it.
This year, I failed. She escaped.

My soul purpose in my extended life has been to watch over them, keep them forever entombed where they belong. To lose but even one innocent to her means I have failed. Maybe this is the reason behind this sense of impending doom I feel. However I believe that has more to do with Angel.

He has changed; and in light of recent news I have decided I must seek out Spike to inform them. What I have learned does not bode well for Angel, will not prove him to be the friend I thought he was. Angel was once my ally, a champion, but it seems that time is gone.

Over a thousand years have passed and I have been here patiently watching over the Deeper Well, loyal to my duties as the guardian; determined to keep the world safe from the old ones. Even in the wake of my failure I wish to be remembered for what I have done and not what I have failed to do. Should the name Drogyn be remembered, my hope is that it shall be regarded as one of loyalty, patience and determination.

This is my last prospect as I spend my final days here at the well before I journey out for what I believe to be one last time.

Nec Temere, Nec Timide.

8th of March "“ Buffy Boards celebrates the International Women's Day

InternationalWomensday2.jpg

In the spirit of the International Women's Day members were asked to answer these three questions about their favorite Strong Whedon Females

1.Who is your favorite strong female character out of all Whedon shows?
2.Why is she your favorite?
3.Do you have any kind of example of what you think shows her strenght?

You can see the results below:

IWDBuffy.jpg

Moscow Watcher said:
1. Buffy.

2. She inspires me to live, to love, to overcome. She is an epithome of quiet resilience, a symbol of perseverance.

3. Her fight against Kralik in "Helpless". It never ceases to amaze me.

prophecygrrl said:
1. Buffy Summers!! :heart:

2. Because she's a hero. :D My hero, actually. In so many ways she's an easy figure to look up to, the kind of basic hero who puts her stylish-yet-affordable boots on every day and beats the crap out of everything you're afraid of. And then in so many ways she's not. She can be hard to love and hard to understand, but I love watching her struggle. I think Joss says it best in describing the appeal of BtVS and Buffy Summers: "...I mean, the thing about the art is that the communication is both sides. The selfishness of, "Please hear me," and the beauty of, "I hear you." The beauty of here's something that you're going through, that you're lonely, and I know what it's like, so here's that presented to you...I saw her getting stronger, and it made me stronger, too." (source) That bolded part? That's what appeals to me to me the most. Seeing her try so hard, even when she fails, gives me inspiration to try too.

3. When she's up on that tower in "˜The Gift', that's one of the strongest moments she has. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's one of those moments where I just officially fell in LOVE with her. ("˜LOVE' in all caps. :p) Earlier in that episode, she says, "I don't know how to live in this world, if these are the choices, if everything just gets stripped away." I really felt how desperate she was there, trapped in a situation between sacrificing her sister or risking the world. What she did on that tower was so amazing to me because I think it takes someone of enormous strength to take the initiative to change the choices available. To jump in her sister's place, and to do it because the First Slayer was right- Buffy "loves with all her soul". She had enough love in her to make the ultimate sacrifice for the world (especially one that doesn't always deserve it), to do it for her sister, the memory of her mother, her best friends...it's just so beautiful to me. She's incredible in 'The Gift'. :heart:

-prophecygrrl

IWDFaith.jpg

The Arcane said:
Probably have to go with Faith, I think!

Why? Because as flawed as she was and as difficult as her path has been, she ultimately came through and defeated most, if not all of her demons. She became a solid and dependable soldier for both Buffy and Giles and a respected leader to many other slayers, largely through her own actions and decisions. Most importantly, she doesn't make the mistake of believing that you need to be perfect to be a good person.

As for an example, the first that springs to mind is that at her lowest point, at a time when she had everything to lose and nothing to gain from doing the right thing, she handed herself in to the police. That was almost certainly the most important crossroads that she had come to in her life and she made the right turn.

IWDCordy-1.jpg

Ollehh said:
1.I think my favorite is Cordelia.

2.She's not afraid to speak her mind, she's very honest, as well as a really good friend and shoulder-to-cry-on for Angel, as well as the rest of the AI team.
3. Although she's not physically strong in the first three seasons of Buffy, she's still strong emotionally, she stands up for what she believes in and questions other people's motives.
However, in Angel, her character evolves, she becomes stronger and manages to actually fight against the forces of darkness, as well as keeping her ability to question and argue with Angel, whilst still being a friend.

soulunsung said:
I answered all three questions in one long response. lol. So, even if you just see the first question - don't worry in that first question I answered all three. I promise.

Who is your favorite strong female character out of all Whedon shows?

This one is pretty much a no-brainer for me, it's definitely Cordelia chase. One of the things that I love most about her, is the fact that she came off as a snobby materialistic cheerleader who didn't care about anything except traveling in inner circles and what daddy's money could get her. But, in essence she was so much stronger than that and she proved it, once she made her move to LA and joined up with Angel, Doyle, and then later Wesley and the rest of the gang at A.I.

She is so strong, but yet she could be vulnerable as well. And she's fiercely loyal and she'll kill you to death if you go after or hurt anyone that she loves. Like, getting the visions gave her her purpose, but I feel like even before she had them she could have gotten there herself without the aid of them.

And when she did have them and she found out both times that they would most likely kill her, she refused to give them up and practically got demonized so that she could keep them and still continue to be Angel's link to the PTB. If she didn't have the visions, she couldn't help the helpless and she couldn't help her friends - her family more like it.

She did that, even in her final moments and that's what made her so strong and beautiful and fierce and amazing. Second soldier down.

Zalos said:
1.This was hard to pick, because I love Buffy and Cordy pretty much the same. But, taking into consideration my latest rewatch, I had to go with Cordelia.

2. Because of so many things! She's loveable, smart, courageous, sexy, funny, strong-willed. She speaks her mind, no matter what. She changed so much(and at the same time, not that much!) through both BtVS and AtS. :) To be entirely honest, I wasn't that big a fan on my first watch of BtVS. It's only when I first saw AtS and got to see more of her character that I started to love her. I think that she often had it easy in high school, and when she hit a wall in AtS, and ended up helping Angel, it totally tested her. She proved that she wasn't just a shallow and vapid wannabe actress. :p She was a great friend for Angel and Doyle at first. Then when Doyle died, she got his visions and that was another big step in her character development. She was forced to see and feel others pain(and quite a lot in 'To Shanshu in L.A'). That definitely changed her for the better.

She always made Angel smile, and I personally think that she's the biggest reason he opened up more in general, and started throwing jokes around. ;) Yes yes... I'm a Cangel fan, haha. Anyway, she was a very good influence on him. She also started to be more compassionate. She was the one who tried to help Gunn, and they quickly became friends. Afterward she was a great mother to Connor(for a little while). When she was not in the show, it suffered from it. When I did my last rewatch, I just realized how different it was(and Angel was) without her. When she comes back in 'You're Welcome', you can immediately see the changes! God I wanted her to punch that stupid Eve in the face... Err, I'm getting out of topic here, haha. I guess I'll conclude by saying that Queen C is also one of my favorite fictional character EVER.

3. Surviving the continuous pain in 'To Shanshu in L.A'. Standing up to Maude and sending her flying in 'Rm w/a Vu'. :p What about... Enduring the (most likely) terrible pain when she gets clawed all over after that vision in 'That Vision Thing'. Oh and when she kills all the slugs in 'The Price'. Decapitating Silas in 'There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb' too!

IWDWillow-1.jpg

Willow My Love said:
1. My favorite strong female character has always been Willow.
2.She's got the whole package. She's smart, beautiful, and she's got such a pure heart.
3.She does so much for Buffy and the gang, between actually fighting, using magic, and all the things she does with computers. She's helpful and supportive, and look at all she's done for Dawn. Willow's just amazing.

SHINE A LIGHT

What do you miss about Buffy when it aired?
Click Here! or on the banner to go to the thread and share what you miss about seeing Buffy in real time.

Sunnydale may have collapsed upon itself and actors have grown and moved on from their demon slaying roles but Buffy lives in the pages of comic books. The end of s8 showed some fan outrage or cheer or in some cases just sheer confusion.... It's been announced that our blonde heroine will go on slaying for not just a season 9 but also a season 10.

What are your hopes for what's to come? Do you have hopes? Or are you abandoning the comic format?

Tells us your thoughts...here

Americanpie4.jpg

Got Pie?
American Pie 4 is on the Horizon... previous movies have featured our favorite red-headed wicca Willow more commonly known as the beautiful Alyson Hanningan...

Will Alyson appear in the fourth movie? Do you want her too? Go here to discuss....

Caption this!
An old feature is back "“ the caption this "“ all you have to do is come up wih a caption for this screencap and send it in.

The captions will be voted on by staff and the winner will be presented in the next newsletter as well as the winner of a few house points.

Captionthis.jpg

Jossverse quote of the month:

"Amy Acker walked into the room and just stole the hearts of every single person who saw her. Actually, she hasn't given them back yet. I'm afraid when she does she's gonna give out the wrong ones and I'm gonna get someone elses " - Joss Whedon, from The Genius of Joss Whedon

"I don't think we'd be here if it wasn't for the Net" - SMG

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

Quote of the month Kean:

I think she wanted to be part of something that truly mattered. When she made that choice, Good vs. Evil was a very simple idea in her mind. Having been kidnapped by the Mayor it established her as a "Player" within the Scooby gang. She had been acknowledged as an important part in the fight against Good and Evil. I think she was wooed by that. All the Ivy Leagues in the world couldn't contend with that. Without ever stepping foot in Harvard, Yale, Oxford or Cambridge she was already an important person to the world.

At this point in time Willow had remained essentially unscathed in Buffy's fight. And that is the important point here. When Willow makes this decision the fight had always been Buffy's (on a much lesser scale Giles'), and because of this Willow had emerged from 3 years on a Hellmouth without suffering any lasting physical or emotional trauma. However, once she made the decision to stay, the fight became hers and it was only then that Willow realised the full price of being an important person in the struggle against Good and Evil.

Quote:https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=930306&postcount=7
thread: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=930306#post930306

Quote of the month Walking Nightmare
This isn't really a moment but I feel that it's worth mentioning in a Xander love thread.

I love how comfortable he is with strong woman. I think being comfortable with woman that are stronger than you is very appealing and a good trait for men to have. He's surrounded by kick ass heroines and he's totally cool with it. Maybe a little turned on by it.

That's why I'm confused when some say that Xander is sexist. No misogynist could be that cool with powerful woman.

quote: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=933138&postcount=19
thread: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=933138#post933138

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month
NmotmMarch2.jpg

Member of the Month
MotmMarch1.jpg

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

Special Notice
* You haven't miss BB's sister-boards have you? For you soccer fans it'll be a treat to learn that our affiliate WeTalkSoccer is now re-opened and 're-vamped' with a new look! Go check it out; http://wetalksoccer.com!​

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom