• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 23 - May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter! Summer is upon us again but that doesn't mean our beloved boards are slowing down. So what's new around here? Keep on reading...

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!​

New Members
On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.
After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:
  • Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest potentials

Each month we interview one of our potentials, you may or may not have seen him/her posting around the boards already. If you have or haven't I'm sure you'll be glad to be further introduced to UnderYourSpell who has kindly agree to answer some questions:

1. Hey UnderYourSpell ! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
I was looking for a Buffy forum because I like to read what other people think about various topics. I like to go 'ah i hadn't thought of it like that'! My first thoughts were that theres still so many people actively talking about Buffy which is great I used to be a member of the BBC Buffy forum which closed down a few years ago.

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
At the moment I'm still finding my feet and looking around everywhere. Have read some of the Season 1 threads because I have just started a re-watch.

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
I love Spike and his witty British-like remarks!

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
I have watched both Angel and Buffy - its quite hard to choose between them! The thing I like about both shows is how you grow to like and care about the characters.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
I would like to give Giles and Jenny a bit more time together before she dies, likewise with Willow and Tara.

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?
I'm about to start Season 2 of Dollhouse. I also like The Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones and the soaps!

7. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of ?
I live with my boyfriend and work with people with disabilities so every day is different!
Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

We're still looking for some members to help out with recaps for Dollhouse, BtvS Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall. So, if you've got some free time, or would just like an excuse to re-watch/re-read these series then take a look at the thread here for a little more information on what we need and some links to the style of recaps that we're looking for.
See recaps here.

Each recap will now be awarded 50 house points!

New Sub-Forum for Art battles and Challenges!
There's been a surge of art battles around the boards and as a result it has been rewarded it's very own subforum! Head on over to battle it out with one of your fellow members or prove your art-skills in the mod created challenges.

Art batlle forum here.

Creature Features? Not really but...​
Who quoted me, friend referrals, member map, a new mobile skin, Twitter buttons! There's so many new features adorning the boards, taking it to new heights that it's hard to keep track of them all. Stop by the Buffy Boards News Forum to get updated about everything that's going on.!

New season 8 discussion groups!

We'll be re-reading/discussing season 8 together, what a perfect way to get that overwhelming season under grasp
Season 8 discussion groups.
Schedule.

The BB cookbook is underway!
Submit your recipes to Angelic Slayer to contribute to this coming treat, go here to read more!

And don't forget... the BB store is still around for all that pretty swag you need for the summer...

Dorm Banner Contest.

Love your dorm? Want to help create a new look for it? Well... now you can! Head on over to the news forum to read the details of this contest

Here are a few important rules, read them all in the thread listed above

- The best banner will be selected from all the submissions from the members of each dorm. The winner from each dorm will be selected by Darla. The winner will be noted as the banner maker in the "Who made that skin?" thread.

- The banner should be no less that 180 pixels high and no more than 240 pixels high. It should be no more than 750 pixels wide.

- The banner should have at least the name of the dorm on it

- You may enter as many times as you choose BUT they must be distinct ideas, meaning do not send me 20 banners that look the same except for the color or font.

- You will have through June 12 to submit your banners.

- Please pm Darla the links to your entries. Name the pm's "Banner Entry"

- The winner from each dorm will be asked to make the new thread etc and new/old buttons.

- PLEASE save a copy of your banner in a layered format in case any minor changes need to be made! It would be awful for us all to lose out on your banner because you made a spelling mistake and didn't save an editable version.

And still going:
Dorm Competition
The latest of our Interdorm competitions has been announced! Check out this thread: Whedonverse Yearbook Contest for all the info and head on over to your dorm and get in on the planning!

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!

Now onto other topics... SUMMER is around the bend... what are your summer plans? Here are what some of your fellow BB:ers are up to. They were asked to answer these two questions:

1.What are your plans for the summer?
2. What member of the Scooby gang/ AI team/ Serenity crew would you like to take with you for a day at the beach?

Sisterofmercy said:
1. This summer I'm hoping to do some volunteer work at festivals across the country, meaning I'll get to check out some new music and see what some of the smaller festivals are like. Should be a lot of fun :) I'm also hoping to spend a lot of time out in the sunshine with friends, providing there actually is any!
2. I'd love to go to the beach with Lorne (seeing as I'm guessing having a vampire on the beach wouldn't work out too well..). We'd sit on the beach all day and make new friends, watching people fall into sandpits when they see what Lorne looks like. We'd end up in a beach hut bar somewhere singing karaoke- with a Seabreeze in hand of course :p
Scarlett Blade said:
1.First and formost, I plan to sleep for ever and ever ....I'm also planning on watching Firefly and Dollhouse this summer, so I can be caught up on all my Whedon shows. I'm also going to Cancun (Mexico) for a couple of weeks with my best friend and his family. We'll probably do lots of outdoor stuff, like surfing and hiking in the jungle....but of course I'd have to sleep half the day too . So hopefully I'll have a really awsome time there!

2. Well, I'd probably want to hang out with Faith for a day at the beach. She'd want to do all kinds of sports, so we could surf, wakeboard, kayak, explore, etc (I LOVE beach sports). And then at night we'd go out dancing at an awsome beach hangout spot. She seems like one of those people that you can just let go with, and be totally wild and do whatever . So yeah....Faith would be my choice.

Jay Jade said:
1. My plans are to hang out with friends more, and since my friend has a summer birthday party and a pool, it's going to be nice to see some buddies. My family and I plan on working on the kennel we own this summer, though because of my dog allergies, I'll probably just do the papers. Also if we have enough puppy money we'll get a cattery that I'll definitely have my name on the owner list for. I'll also try to take more time into drawing stuff and I might even take some acting classes sometime in August.

2.Tara would seem like a nice and content person to chill at the beach for a day. If I took Spike I'd be taking a pile of dust to the beach. I don't want to be stared at for having a plate with some dust on it labeled 'Spike', I mean who would like to show up like that? Won't be easy to put the sunscreen on either. Fred also seems like a good choice, she's so sweet and fun, you know?. So either Tara or Fred, or maybe both if that's allowed :)

Ms.Trick said:
1. My plans are: shopping till I drop, studying my exams for august, starting to make sports, watching new series, taking looooots of pictures! :heart:

2. I think I'd have super fun with Willow at the beach!

SHINE A LIGHT

Show cancelled or was it just its time to go? It doesn't matter to our beloved Whedonverse stars, they keep moving on and moving forward...

Here's what's up with some of your favorite actors:
*David Boreanaz can no longer only been seen as the stand-up agent Booth in hit-series Bones. He will soon be featured in a new role. "Officer down" is a coming indie flick that features one of our favorite vampires.
Read More.

*Dollhouse's most stylish lady in chief Olivia Williams has landed a in new role as a detective in "Case sensitive".
Read More.

*Sarah Michelle Gellar may not be slaying vampires and demons anymore on a weekly basis but she's showing us all that she can still kick ass... gamer style. It's true, new Call of duty: Black ops escalation, will feature a bad-ass female character based on Sarah Michelle who has also lent her voice to this project.

If you're a Buffy fan as well as a gamer this is your lucky day,
Read More.

Also, there's a new sneak peak of her show Ringer, See here.

*Dollhouse's Tahmoh Pennikett has shed his FBI outfit from the past and accepted a new role in "Mortal kombat", a perfect fit for this fighting fit muay thai lover.
Read more.

Are you new to Buffy? An old Buffy fan? Old? Young? It doesn't matter... we all have our favorite episodes or the episodes we wish we could have seen so... What is your ideal Buffy ep? What is your go-to Buffy ep? What would you do if Buffy was your show?

Discuss here.
Or here.
Or even here.

Browncoats Rally!
Why haven't you watched Firefly? Asks member Washburne "¦ click image to head over to the thread to give your reasons .

CAPTION THIS:
PrincessBuffy16 and Taylor Swift were kind enough to provide us with answers for this challenge:

From TaylorSwift:
From PrincessBuffy16

Thank you so much ladies, a favorite was impossible to choose :)

JOSSVERSE QUOTE
"I believe that anyone who isn't open to a show with this title isn't invited to the party" - Joss Whedon

I said What?

"Joss is our show, I mean this is him. And when he first told me that he had this idea, I cried. I was excited for David. I was so excited at the concept that Joss would have a chance to tell more stories. Because that's what he does so brilliantly. But I was concerned because I don't think we know how to make our show without him." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy)
What do you think "“ was there a decline in Buffy's quality after Angel the series came to life? Or was this an unfounded concern of Gellar's? Go here to discuss:
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=54558&page=1#post961166

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

White Avenger in thead Buffy and Spike in season 9:
Ultimately, if Buffy's story ever does play out to an actual conclusion, I don't see Buffy ending up with either Angel or Spike, or any other current member of the cast. I think that, eventually, if it went that far, would opt for a normal family, with children and, most importantly, someone who she can grow old with, not some immortal vampire (and don't drag that Shanshu thing out again. It never was anything but a way for the Powers and the Senior Partners to manipulate Angel into doing whatever they wanted him to do, and even if that weren't true, with no more magic, magic prophesies no longer apply)

That isn't to say that Buffy doesn't love both vampires, equally, but in different ways. She does and always will. It's just that, eventually, she is going to come to the realization that there's no happy future with someone who's eventually going to wind up looking like your grandson. And, once she actually faces that fact, Prince Charming will miraculously show up.
Thread: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=954192#post954192
Post: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=954192&postcount=32

Gum_Gnome33 in Slayer "“ a killer
Yup, she's a killer. Literally. It's the cold, hard truth but there it is. She's a woman who is filled with love, empathy, and compassion. But she is a killer. She's hyper aware of that as she gets older, which is why when she hears "death is your gift" she automatically assumes it means that killing things is the gift she gives to others. It's why she's so worried that she can't have healthy relationships with others.

This fact shouldn't really be considered on its own though, in order to do justice to Buffy's calling. Because just as she's a killer, she's also a savior, (is that the word you would use in a non-religious context?) She saves and protects far more beings than she kills.
Post: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=957442&postcount=11

Thank you for those insightful posts, they were great to read! Everyone keep those awesome posts coming and may you'll find one of yours here next issue!

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

Our New Member of the Month for May 2011:

and our Member of the Month:

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Last edited:
MinwaraYana
MinwaraYana
Great job. :)
S
Seeing Red
[No message]
S
SallyCinnamon
Thank you :)
Status
Not open for further replies.