• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 24- June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

It's hot in here... must be SUMMER!
Good day to all, and welcome to another hot issue of the BB Newsletter! Summer is upon us again but that doesn't mean our beloved boards are slowing down. So what's new around here? Keep on reading...

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

New Members​
On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

*Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!

*The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.

*Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.
Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

This is an interview with one of our potentials, you may or may not have seen this VH:er posting around the boards already. If you have or haven't I'm sure you'll be glad to be further introduced to: WileyDairyGnome who has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:

1. Hey there WileyDairyGnome ! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
I was having a huge Buffy craze in June, and I was dieing to talk to other fans of the show. I Googled (big surprise) Buffy Forums and that's how I found BB! I found one or two other Buffy forums, but there was something about BB that lured me in. I joined right away, and it was like love at first sight. There was so much to do here and so many nice people who had the same love for Buffy as I did. I started coming online everyday and it soon felt like a second home for me.

2.Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
You can probably find me at the Inside Out forum to do some general talk. I also love seeing everyone's wonderful artwork at Joyce's Gallery and talk about anything at the Bronze. The Bronze is the coolest place on BB. ;)

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
I love so many characters, but if I really had to pick just one, I think I'd have to pick Willow. Willow is just adorable. She starts off as this nerdy quiet girl wearing clothes her Mom picked out. She loves to help Buffy with her slaying even though it scares her, and she even has cool witchy powers and learns to float a pencil. :) She does go a little unstable and turns evil... But it seems like everyone at one point turns evil. :p My next favourite character would have to be Anya.

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
I actually haven't seen Angel before. I'm all for Buffy though. I'm not sure if I ever will watch Angel. I know everyone who has seen it recommends it, and people say Angel is more likeable than he was on Buffy, but I just really don't like Angel on BtVS and I don't think I could stand watching a whole show revolving around him. Maybe one day, though.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
That's a hard question... Hmm. Okay, if I could change one thing, I would get rid of the Buffybot at the beginning of Season 6 when Buffy is dead. To me, it sort of ruined the emotion from the loss of Buffy, because with the Buffybot there, I forgot that Buffy was even dead. It even made me wonder why they just kept the Buffybot instead of raising Buffy. It still had Buffy's memories, and looked and talked (sort of) just like her. I just found it weird.

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?
Another favourite show of mine is Friends. I've seen all the episodes of Friends probably 100 times each. I also love Ghost Whisperer, Dawson's Creek, The Simpsons, South Park, and Two and a Half Men.

7. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of WileyDairyGnome?
I usually do a lot of web surfing on my laptop. Of course watch my Buffy DVDs. I also love listening to music, watching movies, sometimes read, and of course go out with my friends. My days aren't usually that thrilling.
Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

*All dorms and The Bronze were temporarily shut down for maintenance but are now up in style! New styles to boot! Member crafted beautiful goodies were chosen from and finally selected to decorated our sprused up boards. Go to your dorm/ The Bronze now to see! :)

Or go here to see the runner up banners:
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=54955

We're still looking for some members to help out with recaps for Dollhouse, BtvS Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall. So, if you've got some free time, or would just like an excuse to re-watch/re-read these series then take a look at the thread here for a little more information on what we need and some links to the style of recaps that we're looking for.
See recaps here.

Each recap will now be awarded 50 house points!

BB-radio needs DJ's!
Do you want to dust off that mic and take the limelight in the shape of a DJ? Well then perfect, Old Master 3 needs you!
Go here to read more: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=52951

New season 8 discussion groups!

We'll be re-reading/discussing season 8 together, what a perfect way to get that overwhelming season under grasp
Season 8 discussion groups.
Schedule.

The BB cookbook is underway!
Submit your recipes to Angelic Slayer to contribute to this coming treat, go here to read more!

And don't forget... the BB store is still around for all that pretty swag you need for the summer...

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!

Something to sing about...

Music has always been apart of the Whedonverse. In Buffy we have a musical, Angel shows more than a few visits to a kareoke bar, Jayne of Firefly has his very own song and of course Dr. Horrible has a full number of sing-a-long tunes.

What is your favorite Whedonverse musical moment?
What song is it?
What character sings it?
And why do you love it?​

Nightshade:
That's pretty hard to say exactly which one as there's three I love, Angel singing Mandy in Judgement, I love how he so bad at it but really loves the song. Lindsey singing in Dead End, it's such a beautiful song, and really surprising for the character plus Christian Kane has an amazing voice. Lastly is when they are all sat in the bar in Jaynestown when the guy starts singing Jayne's song. The look on the their faces when they realise that the song is about Jayne.
Abby27:
Favorite musical moment: Giles singing Behind Blue Eyes in 4.18 "Where the Wild Things Are" by The Who. I love it because it is the first time we see Giles sing on screen and I love that the reactions from Xander, Willow, and Anya mimic how the audience reacts seeing the once stuffy librarian become a coffee house smash: either deeply disturbed or very attracted! It was a great little moment to see Giles as a typical man who likes to do things like sing and play guitar, not just help the college kids out with the week's demon. Plus, Giles looks hot doing it! =P
Tammy:
Oh Jasmine (A version of Mandy for jasmine)
What character sings it?
Angel & Conner
And why do you love it?
It is an amazing moment, although i don't really like this season this moment makes me laugh every time.
SeeingRed
what is your favorite Whedonverse musical moment? One of my all time musical favorites was when Giles told Anya and Tara that Buffy needed backup, and instead of giving the type of backup Giles had in mind they became her backup singers.
What song is it? Something to Sing About
What character sings it? Buffy, Anya, Tara and Spike
why do you love it? This song is a very emotional song that everyone can relate to but is also has the right amount of comical relief. Also it as preformed and sung amazingly well.
Goby:
What is your favorite Whedonverse musical moment?

My favorite Whedonverse moment is the entire episode of "Once More with Feeling."
When I started to watch BtVS I knew virtually nothing about it. In fact, all I knew is that there was a musical episode that people loved. Since I really dislike musicals, I wasn't looking forward to that episode.
After 4 months of spending every night watching a BtVS Episode, I realized that BtVS wasn't your run of the mill show. The writers and actors were brilliant, and I was actually looking forward to the musical episode (I didn't even know it's name). I started watching Season 6, and finally it happened. I didn't even know it was coming"¦. I saw the credits and yelled to my son "It's the Musical Episode!!!! Come Quick!!!!!!"
Then it happened"¦. It's dark and SMG is walking in the cemetery. It's really her voice! The lyrics are brilliant! There is humor! There is truth! There is plot!! There is honesty!!! A smile appeared on my face and didn't leave until the very last song!

What song is it?

Jeez, picking a favorite song off OMWF is like picking a favorite child. So let's pick "Rest in Peace" although my favorite may change tomorrow.

What character sings it?
Spike!

And why do you love it?

I'm a Spuffy. Do I really have to explain why I love it?
There is a part that gives me chills every time I hear it. The rhyme, rhythm, timing, lyrics are just amazing!!! Here it is:
I know I should go
But I follow you like a man possessed
There's a traitor here beneath my breast
And it hurts me more than you've ever guessed
If my heart could beat, it would break my chest
but I can see you're unimpressed

Wow!

SHINE A LIGHT​

* Julie Benz has gotten egaged to Rich Orosco, BB offers congratulations and good luck to the couple!

*Sarah Michelle Gellar will attend ComicCon this year for the first time since 2004! Read more at EW http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/27/sarah-michelle-gellar-comic-con/

*Buffy's lil sis all grown up - Michelle Trachtenberg will guest star on "Weeds" 7th season for two epsiodes.

*Whedon alumn Neil Patrick Harris to get married to partner David Burtka! When the New York senate passed the Marriage Equality Act the actor popped the question to his boyfriend who accepted. Blessings to them both!

JOSSVERSE QUOTE
"I don't think we'd be here if it wasn't for the Net" - SMG

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=55019
I think that Buffy does have the potential to become a great leader, and has several good leadership traits, however she just hasn't gotten their yet. She thinks fast and well on her feet and is able to make difficult decisions, and to live with the consequences of those decisions. Yet, she has a very difficult time in keeping a group together as a cohesive whole, and cannot seem to be able to delegate authority well. Even in seasons 7 and 8, where she begins to develop as a leader, she has difficulty thinking in terms of the needs of the group. This is why the group breaks down in Empty Places, its not really because they lost a battle, but because she never really gave the Potentials a reason to trust her as a leader. The only thing that she has established is that she can protect them, but they never have any particular reason to trust her with anything else. In all honesty Faith comes off as a better leader in season 7. She does have a rapport with the wannabes and does establish a two way loyalty that Buffy never does. Most of Buffy's failings as a leader boil down to inexperience. She has very little leadership experience at all in her background, and has never really been a part of any organized groups so has no idea how to put one together. The only person that she was close to who had any real leadership experience was Riley and she pretty much rejected that side of him and never took it very seriously. In season 8 the Slayers organization was haphazard at best and she had very little idea what was happening with the other groups around the world.

Most of the things people have said that make her a good leader, aren't really leadership traits. They're the traits of a hero and a warrior but not of a leader, and Buffy is great in both of those roles. However, as a leader she just hasn't gotten their yet.

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=54972
The thing about the Council, that I don't like at all, is that they see everything as black and white. Slayer=good for fighting demons and no more, not a person of her own, no life, no friends, no family. And Demons=bad, which is proven to be not as black and white, as we all know there are good demons out there, and not just vampire with souls. Problem is, the don't count the soul, if it's inside of a demon. Like when Angel was poisened by Faith, the Council didn't want to help, because it's a demon. A demon with a soul, but a demon. And a Slayer is just a Slayer. She didn't come to the world with the agenda to make friends and have some kind of normal girl's life. She came into the world to fight till she dies. That's how the council works. A slayer died? Okay, not a big deal. Call the next one!

Most watches, meaning not Giles, saw it the same as the Council. The Slayer is a tool, and the watcher is holding it and uses it, and the Council supervises. It's like the food chain. Where the Slayer, who's the most important part in the chain, is actually right in the bottom of it. And when Giles started showing father love to his Slayer, the Council just did not accept it. They fired him. He betrayed their agenda of Slayer=demon fighter, demons=evil, Watcher=tool holder. If the Council considered for a sec, they would have seen that the best Slayer can be achieved by letting her have a life. Like Buffy. She slays better than most Slayers before her, BECAUSE she had all that. But the Council didn't care. They wanted a tool, not a person.
Thank you for all those insightful posts, they were great to read! Everyone keep those awesome posts coming and may you'll find one of yours here next issue!

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

Our New Member of the Month for June 2011:

and our Member of the Month:

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

Sister Site
For those of you looking for a board concerning more mature postings about various entertainment topics the BB has a sister board! Screen Gems :)
"“ so if you're aching to talk about something other than Buffy this is the place to be.
Go over here to check it out: http://www.screen-gems.net/

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
I LOVE that BB Radio photo, flipping hilarious! :D Great newsletter, as always hun :)
NY State of Mind
NY State of Mind
[No message]
Goby
Goby
Well done!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom