• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 26 - September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Fantastic fall is upon us... Good day to all, and welcome to another hot issue of the BB Newsletter! Fall is sweeping in but that doesn't mean our beloved boards are slowing down. So what's new around here? Keep on reading...​

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what’s going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you’d like to have a catch up!

New Members​
On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge ‘Welcome!’ to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It’s really great to have you and we’re hope you’re getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

*Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!

*The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It’s a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.

*Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.
Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

This is an interview with one of our potentials, you may or may not have seen this music loving Faith-fan posting around the boards already. If you have or haven't I'm sure you'll be glad to be further introduced to: TheAnnointedOne who has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:
1. Hey there TheAnnointedOne! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
Well, I recently started my first complete rewatch of the BtVS series having grown up with the show and I wanted a place to discuss my reactions to episodes, to discuss themes and characters. I searched the internet for a while and found BB. I was initially struck by the background image (the Season 4 skin) and thought it was really cool! Then I looked through the forums and thought that there was some excellent and interesting discussion going on – I signed up and have been hooked ever since!

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
I was initially around the Season 3 Episode Discussions forum as that was the season I was on when I joined the Buffy Boards. I loved being able to note down my reactions when I watched the show, post some ideas and being able to read other people’s opinions. But I do “get around” and love discussing lots of things. I spend more time on the Buffy forums than the Angel forums. I love seeing what the latest discussions are at Inside Out as well as checking up on my favourite characters at Cast and Characters.

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
This is so difficult as I love lots of characters. If I had to pick one, at the moment it would be Faith. She brings such a great energy into Season 3 and I love her arc in that season. I always love a tragic character, their journeys are so interesting and complex and Faith’s is no exception. I loved seeing her go dark and as a villain and then her ultimate redemption. She is fiery, impulsive and so utterly enticing to watch. Plus Eliza Dushku is hot which is always a bonus . Special mention has to go to Buffy of course who I adore and actually the interactions between the two slayers are some of the most exciting IMO. From Angel my absolute favourite is Darla – my favourite vampire of the Buffyverse and I am always fascinated when she is on screen.

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
Yes I have. I prefer Buffy but there are some moments in Season 2 of Angel (Darla’s appearances of course ) which are absolutely epic. I haven’t watched every single episode of Angel - I need to catch up on the last two seasons – I fully intend to do this! But yes Buffy is my absolute favourite.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
''Thats a difficult but interesting question!! Although I loved Graduation Day Pt II, the one thing that let it down in my opinion was the demon the mayor turns into. From Anya's description of what an Ascenion was and all the hype surrounding the change, the actual representation wasn't that spectacular - it was a snake! Yes a very big snake, but I'd have preferred it to have been scarier to give a 'WOW' feeling! The episode as a whole is a great success, but that change would have made it perfection!''

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?

At the moment I am totally addicted to Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries. I am also currently watching The Ringer with our much loved Sarah Michelle Gellar!! I am also a long-term fan of Smallville.

7. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of TheAnnointedOne?
I love music – so I write my own songs, play the piano and sing. I also love art and reading and writing. I also go out with friends and spend time with the family.
Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

We're still looking for some members to help out with recaps for BtvS Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall. So, if you've got some free time, or would just like an excuse to re-watch/re-read these series then take a look at the thread here for a little more information on what we need and some links to the style of recaps that we're looking for.
See recaps here.

Each recap will now be awarded 50 house points!

BB Radio premieres shortly... October 1st shows the launch of BB's newest feature – radio casts with BB members you know as DJ's. You don't want to miss this!
Go here to listen to some teases: https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=403

*New avatars were added this month, 338 of them in various categories:
Click to see which ones!

*The board was briefly shut down for a few hours on Sunday the 25th of September for the purpose of maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

*The Bronze is temporarily shut down, you can read more here!. Please take this time to enjoy the rest of our wonderful boards.

*Buffy season 9 has it's own forum (sharing it with the new Angel and Faith series)
go here to read about the lastest issues continuing the Buffy and Angel sagas.
Or to discuss what's going on in them... like what might be Xander's secret?
Go here!.

*The BB cookbook is still underway!
Submit your recipes to Angelic Slayer to contribute to this coming treat, go here to read more!

*BB art challenge – Who are you?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/whoareyouch_1stchosenenemy.png
Congratulations to ChosenEnemy, the latest to win one of our art challenges, she won 150 house points for Merrick for her spectacular art pieces that you can view here: here!

*And don't forget... the BB store is still around for all that pretty swag you need year round

*Extra*
Lend a helping hand to member Skytteflickan88 by helping her win a contest!
Go here to read more: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56039

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!​

Fantastic Fall!
It's fantastic fall and we have a challenge for you members. You have a week to find the FIVE FLAWS of the right picture. The first one to get the five correct answers in will be awarded a special winner banner as well as the award of 50 house points! Give your house an edge in the hope to win the House Cup
FIND FIVE FLAWS

(pm the answers to me Taake, within a week to participate, i.e. by the 7th of October)

Favorite Season Opener:
It's fall and fall schedules with new seasons and episodes are rolling in over TV's worldwide . Buffy may have been cancelled but it lives on in memory and dvd's – the question this month was: What was your favorite season opener of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and here's what some of our members said:

Whirlwind said:
Buffy vs Dracula! It was just a really fun episode.
arabella said:
My favorite season opener was Season 1. I saw it the first time, after seeing promos for it on it's original premier night. I was stoked about the show and the characters from the get-go. It premiered during my first year of high school and I connected with everything: the clothes, the hair, the drama, etc... It was the original and was perfect to me.
Washburne said:
Bargaining: Part 1. Haven't read season 9 yet.
NY State of Mind said:
I really want to say 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' because of the introductions and it's the episode that hooked me in. However, I'm going with 'When She Was Bad'. I found Sarah/Buffy attractive but this ep made me fall in love with her. I'm sure everybody knows my love for Cordy/Charisma so I think it's obvious a girl with an attitude works magic on me :p . Everything about this ep kept me in tune from the attitude, the dance with Xander, and even the cheesy ending that made me love s1 in the first place. I have to admit this ep really made me want to see Willow/Xander.
Darla said:
My favorite season opener is 2.01 When She Was Bad :)
HisMrs said:
My favorite season opener of all the seasons was definitely Season 6's "Bargaining". It was a little darker than most of the season openers and I liked that we jumped right into the action of the season and didn't just get a "fluff" episode.

SHINE A LIGHT

They're back.....
some of our favorite Whedon alumni are back on the small screen:

Sarah Michelle Gellar is back on TV playing dual parts – Siobhan and Bridget – twins in trouble in this thriller/drama series. Wednesday nights (soon on Sky living Tv in the UK, 29th of September)

David Boreanaz is reprising his role as good-hearted FBI agent Seely Booth in Bones seventh season. Pregnancy and surely a lot of intriguing crime awaits...

Tv-show Supernatural gives us a reunion of two Btvs and Ats actors – none other then James ”Spike” Marsters and Charisma ”Cordy” Carpenter. In this supernatural drama however they will be playing a married couple rather than a vampire with a soul and a girl with visions but we're surely they'll be dynamic as ever.

And of course the most engaging Buffy librarian and former Merlin co-star Anthony Stewart Head shows up in a new comedy series called ”Free Agents”. No Ripper but at least it gives us a glimpse of ”Giles” now when he's sorely amiss in the comics.

Also

…. SMG returned to her first TV home – All my children – in a role honoring not only her careers beginning but gives a wink to Buffy fans as well.

JOSSVERSE QUOTE
”Fox came to Joss and said , do you have any sort of uplifting, homegrown stuff that's patriotic, and he siad, I have a show about depression in deep space'. And they said 'OK, we'll have that'
Anthony Head

Quote of the Month
There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

From ”Was Giles right in killing Ben?” https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=988407#post988407
by Caitaintdead

It's one of those age old questions. The gang weren't prepared to let Willow die to save the world back in Season 3. It makes me wonder whether Giles would have been so quick to let someone he cared about die. I think Buffy posed an interesting point when she questioned why Giles was so quick to say that Dawn should die to save the world.

It's easy for me to say that I would kill one person to let a million others live... Unless it was my mum or dad and then all of a sudden everything changes...
From ”Regaining Buffy's trust?” https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=990532#post990532
by Kean

I still think the person that Buffy will need to forgive this season is herself. I also think that it will only be in forgiving herself that she will be able to offer the same to Angel or at the very least move forward. She is angry with him and probably a whole lot of other emotions too but I also think she knows how much he will/does regret what he did, I don't think she would ever doubt his sincerity in that respect.

I think her guilt and anger at herself, Angel and Giles (from earlier in S8) is too complex to be able decipher how she feels about anyone-Giles, Angel or herself.
Thank you for all those insightful posts, they were great to read! Everyone keep those awesome posts coming and may you'll find one of yours here next issue!

Member Recognition
As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

September:

New Member of the Month: TheAnnointedOne

Member of the Month: Kittenpoker

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

Sister Site

For those of you looking for a board concerning the new (hit series to-be) The Secret Circle the BB has a sister board! www.SecretCircle.net :)
– so if you're aching to talk about something other than Buffy this is the place to be.
Go over here to check it out: http://www.secretcircle.net

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom