• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 27 - October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Happy Halloween dear Bbers, October has swept upon us causing even Buffy to gear up in her Poison Ivy wear (see bottom banner)... now what will her favorite vampires think about that outfit? ;) Something to mull about while reading the latest hot issue of the BB Newsletter and all the goings on. So what's new around here? Keep on reading...

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what’s going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you’d like to have a catch up!​

New Members​
On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge ‘Welcome!’ to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It’s really great to have you and we’re hope you’re getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

*Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!

*The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It’s a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.

*Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.
Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

This is an interview with one of our potentials, you may or may not have seen this Angel fan posting around the boards already. If you have or haven't I'm sure you'll be glad to be further introduced to: Steven123 who has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:
1.Hey there Steven123! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
I had been looking for a Buffy forum for quite a while and it just by chance that i landed on BB! But as soon as i did i loved the place, there were so many comments and members, and i was made to feel welcome straight away.

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
I don't really stay in one forum and i try to answer as many as i can in different sections, but i'm usually in Cast & Characters and Inside Out. Iv'e probably asked more than answered!

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
I always find this question so hard to answer! I can never pick one, so i'd have to say that my top 3 are Buffy/Angel/Spike. They are such great characters and obviously the shows wouldn't have been what they were without them, i always liked the sort of "personal competition" between Spike and Angel and how funny they both are at times. But as actors iv'e followed SMG and DB in other shows & movies, such as Bones and now Ringer with SMG.

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
I still haven't watched every episode of AtS, but iv'e been catching up recently and so far i think i'll have to go with BtVS!. But out of the episodes of AtS that i have seen, i may end up picking that one in the end! I haven't been watching all of the episodes in order, but when i watched Smile Time i think that became an instant favourite!

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
Another hard question! I would probably change a few things as i'm sure a lot of us would, but if i had to go with one it would probably be The Judge in Season 2, he was talked up to be the "big bad" and i was hugely let down.

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?
I'll be here all day with this one so i'll keep it short and sweet on the list! Stargate SG1,Ringer,Star Trek (all shows) and The Simpsons which never fails to make me laugh.

7. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of Steven123?
Well i have work every day apart from Friday/Saturay/Sunday so that's really the only free time i have for the majority of the week. I love sports (Chelsea FC!) so i'm always watching Football and Formula 1 that and having to take my two dogs out every other hour of the day!
Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

Welcome to the team three new moderators:
Enemies, wickedtiger86 and brinkster130!

Fantastic efforts have been put in here but we're still looking for some members to help out with recaps for BtvS Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall. So, if you've got some free time, or would just like an excuse to re-watch/re-read these series then take a look at the thread here for a little more information on what we need and some links to the style of recaps that we're looking for.
See recaps here.

Each recap will now be awarded 50 house points!

October has shown the launch of BB's newest feature – radio casts with BB members you know as DJ's. You don't want to miss this! So run right on over to the BB radio section where you can find the Jamtastic 4 (https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56295) and the B3 (https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56297) airing their shows for the first time! Interesting discussions, good music... don't miss it :)

*Buffy season 9 has it's own forum (sharing it with the new Angel and Faith series)
go here to read about the lastest issues continuing the Buffy and Angel sagas.
Or to discuss what's going on in them... like what might be Xander's secret?
Go here!.

*The BB cookbook is still underway!
Submit your recipes to Angelic Slayer to contribute to this coming treat, go here to read more!

*And don't forget... the BB store is still around for all that pretty swag you need year round

*Congratulations member Kryptonite who just became a first time mommy! Go visit this thread for the check-in of tiny BBer Brystle Olivia :D Go here!.

*Also check out this most awesome Cosplay Illyria costume and give her a vote if you wish, after all that work she's earned a good chance to win Go here!.

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!​

October festl!
For Buffy-boads own October-fest we have some challenges for you. A brainteaser in the form of a crossword puzzle where twelve names from Buffy the vampire slayer characters have hidden themselves. Just copy the picture and fill in the names as you find them, clue: the spine of the puzzle is a well-known Sunnydale nerd who had a long run on the show yet never a particularly large part.

Brainteaser 2:
You all know ”Where's Waldo?” the game where you find Waldo... but this is Buffy boards so we don't care much about where Waldo is, we do care where Buffy is though... can you find her?

Brainteaser 3:

Another Find Five Flaws contest.... find the five flaws, pm them to me and at the end of the week I'll announce the winner (chosen randomly from the names who got the correct answers). Don't miss this opportunity to win your house another 50 house points! (the right image is the correct one and the left one has find flaws hidden in it)

SHINE A LIGHT​

*Much Ado About Nothing... rings a bell? Well think again. We're not talking about the Bard now we're talking Joss Whedon. New movie on the way under the title ”Much ado about nothing” (based on a play) with lots of Whedon-alumni in it. Go to the official page to see if your favorite Whedonverse face will make an appearance in this project http://muchadothemovie.com/

*Also, the official Avengers trailer is out, check it out
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9cuGZJ9DP0&feature=player_embedded"]The Avengers Theatrical Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

*Amber Benson on the web?
New webseries to shoot: "Marie's Zero Gravity Bar and Grill" featuring this Buffy-alumn. Check it out http://www.marieszerogravitybarandgrill.com/

*What does Eliza Dushku, Felicia Day and Morena Baccarin have in common? They've all worked with Joss Whedon... yes indeed. But also they're all appearing at the Starfury Inva2sion in May 2012, so if you're a fan and in London it might be something to look into... Read more: http://www.starfury.co.uk/

*Alyson Haningan + Halloween = true love?
Go to the Daily Mail to see just how nutty for Halloween this former Buffy star is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...annigan-Katy-Perry-Halloween-decorations.html

*Dont miss this - new Jewel Staite and Charisma Carpenter interviews
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56336
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/21/supernatural-charisma-carpenter-buffy-james-marsters/

And the latest guest stars of Supernatural James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter have joined a long list of other guests on the show, for those fans of Supernatural and Whedonverse alike this list of other crossover actors might be interesting to cast an eye at, go to this thread to read more https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56312

JOSSVERSE QUOTE
”Fox came to Joss and said , do you have any sort of uplifting, homegrown stuff that's patriotic, and he siad, I have a show about depression in deep space'. And they said 'OK, we'll have that'
Anthony Head

Quote of the Month
There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

Joan the Vampire Slayer from ”Angel: Hero or Anti-hero?”
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=996818#post996818

I believe Angel possesses traits of both archetypes.

What do I mean by this?

Angel is no saint. He possesses many traits of an antihero. But no one can argue that Angel has and does exhibit heroic acts. He is courageous, brave, and self-sacrificing. He fights for the good of humanity willingly, and until recently, seemed to believe in our inherent goodness. YET, morally, Angel often misses the mark on the hero scale. His decisions are often morally ambiguous (Lindsey, anyone?). Angel is also defined in part by his "tragic flaw", which is of course, the means in which heroes often "fall." Angel's failure of character, like Hamlet, is his gullibility. This flaw is how Twilight came about.

To be honest though, I think Angel's more of a Byronic hero than an anything. After all, his focal struggle is his constant fight against his alter-ego, the other part of himself which represents the evil inside him, Angelus. Angel is arrogant, introspective, moody, (later on) wearly and cynical, doubting his ability to make a difference and if his mission is pointless. Antihero defined.

The modern fictional hero - of which Angel is one - could simply refer to the main character of a work. Many have referred to, say, Holden Caulfield as a 'hero' even though few would define him as one.

I think in a lot of ways Angel is no hero. He's just simply a guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, so he rose to the occasion and dealt with the fantastic hand he was given. Ordinary guy who was given an extraordinary gift. But sometimes I'm astounded by the things Angel does. He is a truly terrific character, even if I hate him. Angel is interesting in part because his one self, Angel, embodies what is good and what he wants to be, and his alter-self, Angelus embodies the evil he is fighting against.

So, in conclusion, Angel is both a hero and an antihero. With maybe a dash of Byronic hero mixed in.

In a lot of ways, antiheros are more appealing, because they are not larger-than-life. They are not perfect. They are flawed - like us. They are not Gods but men. It's the heroes we can't relate too. Unless, of course, they fall, and then we can see ourselves in them perfectly.

Gum Gnome33 from ”October 16th-22nd Episode discussion lead by WillowMyLove”
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=996354#post996354

I think one issue that potentially further complicates all of this is that we're never really told how much Willow's urge to destroy the world and kill her friends is a result of the extreme power she'd absorbed and whether she was able to control herself much at that point; in other words, how much of "Willow" was still in there, after she'd killed Warren?

Lots of people agree that her killing of Warren was at least understandable, (even if they think she should have been punished under human laws), though of course no one understands why she was ready to destroy everyone she'd ever loved. Something seemed to really shut down within her while this demonic entity took over as a result of the dark magic she'd summoned after Tara died.
We could say, potentially, that the reason the scoobies are so quick to forgive her is because they truly believe that she was no longer Willow when she finally crossed the line into complete destructiveness. There are certainly implications throughout season 7 that powerful magic could lead to a relapse, which suggests that dark Willow was truly a result of the darkness she'd channeled and that there was a complete lack of control that followed. But because this is never established as a clear reason for her behavior, it's hard to say for sure why tolerate it the way they do.
Thank you for all those insightful posts, they were great to read! Everyone keep those awesome posts coming and may you'll find one of yours here next issue!

Member Recognition
As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

steven123 and wickedtiger86

(please note that voting took place before wickedtiger86 was made a moderator)

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

Sister Site

For those of you looking for a board concerning the new (hit series to-be) The Secret Circle the BB has a sister board! www.SecretCircle.net :)
– so if you're aching to talk about something other than Buffy this is the place to be.
Go over here to check it out: http://www.secretcircle.net

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom