• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 34 - May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

Welcome dear BBers, here is the latest hot issue of the BB Newsletter and all the goings on, so what's new around here? Keep on reading...

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!​

New Members​
On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

*Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!

*The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.

*Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.
Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

This is the portion of the newsletter where we introduce you to one of our potentials. This month I'm sure you'll be delighted to get better familiarized with new member Frooley.

Frooley said:
1.Hey there Frooley! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
Hello!
Well after recently buying the Buffy and Angel box-sets and starting my first proper and complete rewatch I wanted to find a place that was a) still alive and b) had a nice attitude. I didn't want to join an elitist-community or a forum where the last post was made 2 years ago.

BB is exactly what I was looking for. Semi-serious and a very active community, which this newsletter is a proof of. At first BB seemed almost a little bit too big. There are so many sub forums and some sort of School I'm looking into. But still, it didn't take a long time to figure out what was where.

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)
Well I suppose I'm most active at The Bronze, though I try to peek in at the Season discussion forums now and then. As my memory refreshes through my rewatch, I'll probaby hang out more at these discussion forums.

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?
Aw I can't pick just one... I'll have to say Buffy, Xander and Spike!

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?
Buffy will always be the best imo. I do like Angel but I think the characters and episodes on Buffy are generally much better.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?
The fact that they end.

6. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of Frooley?
When I'm done watching TV there's really not much left of the day... Seriously though I spend time reading HPL and ASoIaF, gaming, going to the pub, thinking about how much I despise mankind, how bad my grades are, if Illuminati is ruling the world and if Cthulhu is sleeping in the dark depths if the sea.

Right now though, I'm preparing for a 3-month visit to LA! :)
Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

A little reminder:
The purpose of Buffy-Boards has always been to create a safe environment for fans to talk about Buffy and Angel. The board rules have been developed and grown over the past 10+ years, in response to the challenges we've faced in that aim. We are not trying to restrict your opinions or ideas, but rather are trying to ensure that everyone feels comfortable posting theirs.

Fans who are genuinely interested in having friendly and civil discussions about the Whedonverse are welcome! Trolls who sign up to cause trouble and start fights, are not. We try our best to resolve any problems with members peaceably, but in some cases repeated breaking of the board rules will result in removal of privileges or banning from the board. We're not trying to "get" you and we understand honest mistakes - punishments are a last resort for repeat rule-breakers.

To see our pledge as staff members please visit the Buffy Boards FAQ where you can read about it and other specfics of the board rules. https://www.buffy-boards.com/faq.php
Thank you for you time!

:)

A quick guide to Getting on the Chat

Here are the ways...

1. https://www.buffy-boards.com/index.php?page=chat

Type in your username and hit Connect. This page is just up as a convenience, so if it doesn't work for you (probably because too many people are using it)) it does NOT mean the chat isn't working and try another option. Please only use this if you do not/can not use a chat program, so it leaves it open for others.

2. http://centralchat.net/chat

Type your username in the nickname box and change #chat to #buffy. Click on Connect.

3. http://cbe004.chat.mibbit.com/

Click on the link that says "Server". Type in irc.centralchat.net

Next to nick type in your username and #buffy next to server. Click Connect.

4. Use a client - see the FAQ for directions on the most often used programs with the following information:

Server: irc.centralchat.net
Channel: #buffy
Also see here: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=58787

Board Wide June Theme

Forgotten heroes... pay tribute to one of your favorite characters, perhaps often overlooked, by joining in on the latest board theme our prefects have brought us

Go here: https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=59040&page=1

Episode discussions!
We know you have a topic you're just dying to get the people talking about. Don't miss the opportunity to lead a discussion here on the boards, go here to see what it's all about
When Buffy left, she truly was lacking sufficient support for any given teenager, but particularly one whose duty it was to save the world at (potentially) the cost of her life, and often of her happiness.

She had, out of necessity, detached herself from her mother so much so that she could lead this secret existence without having to answer too many questions. Joyce, eager to give Buffy the freedom she thought she needed in the wake of the divorce and the move, perhaps unwisely allowed Buffy to do so. As a result, by the time her identity had been revealed to her mother, Buffy was not receiving any understanding--let alone support--from her at that time. In that regard she was entirely alone, so deciding to leave and isolate herself even further probably didn't feel like such a great leap, logically or emotionally.

Buffy was not getting sufficient support from Giles, her father figure, and yet another adult in her life who could have done more to ensure that she was at the very least emotionally taken care of at such a time. Of course, that is because Giles--a human being and not a saint--had just had his love taken away from him as a direct result of Buffy's own love and life choices, nevermind the fact that she was completely unaware of their consequences. That he would naturally detach from her, even at such a crucial time, is understandable and predictable. Not to mention the fact that he himself had been a victim of Angel's and was unable to offer her anything leading up to her departure.

Buffy was also aware of what her friends had been through. Regardless of the fact that she hadn't acted maliciously toward them, again, her choices directly caused their anguish, both before and after Angel's curse was lifted. Without support, time, and awareness, it's easy to see how she could have assumed they'd be better off without her, regardless of how they might have actually felt.[/QUOTE]

Member Recognition
As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month
[MENTION=11961]Frooley[/MENTION]

Member of the Month
[MENTION=11292]kittenpoker[/MENTION]

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes! We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

[url=https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=56072&page=1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom