• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 53 - January 2016

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
January: 2016

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

Welcome to a hot off the presses edition of the Buffy Boards Newsletter! Holidays and New Years have come and gone and it’s time to catch up with what’s been going on and what is coming! But first…
Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

The House Always Wins

It’s time for THE BUFFIES! Get your fancies out of the closet, put those heels on, spray that hair, rent that tux and join us for the Buffy-Boards Awards show, honoring you dear members! Go here to send your nominations in! Call for Nominations for the BB Awards 2016!

Show date and time to be presented soon!

Board Birthday
…and as if that’s not enough… the Buffy-Boards are getting older and older, no more a babe we are entering into those temptestous teens! Joins us in celebrating our 14th birthday!

To get started, how about entering a birthday-banner conest? Look here for details: BB's Birthday Art Contest

Or a drabble contest where it’s you members as well as Buffy that’s the theme! Look here for details: A drabble. I do drabble. You too. You do drabble too!

We hope you’ll join us in celebrating another year of BB!

Scoobie Spotlight
You haven’t missed our getting to know you feature have you! In the Scoobie Spotlight YOU’RE the centre of attention and for a weeks time your fellow members get to ask you questions to their heart’s content!

Go here to sign up, or PM me Taake or Buffy Summers!

New Weekly Feature: Getting to Know You (Scooby Spotlight)

WHEDONVERSE
Who else is getting older... that's right - miss Buffy Anne Summers! 35 years old!​

Happy Birthday Slayer Extraordinaire

Wish her a happy birthday or...

In the actor realm...

SMG flashbacked to the time ASH dressed up as FranknFurter for her, recent 35 year old Eliza Dushku took a political stance and wants you to FeeltheBern, Charisma Carpenter shows off her anti-aging beauty and we flashback to Michelle Trachtenbergs Halloween outfit just because it’s awesome!

More trivia… for fun this month we thought we’d share some great fanmade videos circulating out there on the web.

How about some Spike kicking ass?

Dollhouse fun! (To the members watching the show for the first time I recommend skipping these lest you be partially spoiled J)

How do you feel about this video describing their THREE episodes to make anyone a Buffy-fan? Do you agree with the episodes? What episodes would you show a newbie to spark some interest? And what episodes would you show of Angel if you wanted it to gain a new fan? Leave your comments below!

Member's Corner:
Quote of the month

@nancylives in “The Uniqueness of s5” The Uniqueness of S5

i'm watching season 5 for the 4th or 5th time, but first time in over seven years, and i'm really feeling it. on the front end, i love the way this season does the most shark-jumpingest thing possible--adds a new kid--and makes it work both as a necessary plot point, but, especially, as an emotional additive to the season. imagine, for example, if there had been no dawn in the body and forever. i can't even conceive of sarah michelle gellar nailing these episodes as seriously as she did without michelle trachtenberg to act with; they are just lovely together, never more so than these two episodes.

this season really puts the power in the hands of the ladies, and it just does so gloriously. buffy has many shining moments, but she matures noticeably in checkpoint, one of my favorite episodes, when she stands up for the scoobies and hands the watchers council their collective you-know-whats.

buffy matures in season 5, as do the rest of the gang (even giles). i also really love glory/ben. season 5 really starts to fool around with gender in an even more subversive way than prior seasons, and i like it. plus, the idea of an insane female hell god sharing the body of a male mortal is super brilliant. i think this season gets short shrift sometimes, but it's one of my favorites.

i also want to agree with the op in their point about the lighting being warmest. i noticed that immediately and it really works well, especially when we get to the latter portion of the season, as that warmth is completely used as a set-up for the body, when, suddenly, everything becomes very cold. it's delightfully jarring, and further proof of the incredible organization, foresight, and attention to detail of the showrunners and everyone else.

Featured Fanart
Want to settle down and get cozy with some Slayers… well @thetopher has you covered

Connections: A Buffy/Faith fic.

Blast from the past
Aly and Tony hanging out in the grass

That's it for now, please leave your comments below! Thanks for reading and keep Buffy-Boarding! :D

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Wow, BB is 14 years old!

I love Clarke Wolfe from the 3 episodes of Buffy video (i watch her in other stuff too) but not sure I'd pick The Body. Is switch that with Band Candy I think, or Doppelgangland. Not sure the weight of Joyce dying is something to start a newbie out on. I did show my neice and nephew OMWF and they loved it.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Yay!!!

Watching some of those videos....I'm with @Fuffy Baith on not picking The Body. It is an awesome episode, but not one I would start someone who has never seen the show on. "Hush" is great because I think it's one of the scariest eps. I would definitely pick a funny one like Band Candy or Something Blue. OMWF seems obvious, but probably a good choice.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm with @Fuffy Baith on not picking The Body. It is an awesome episode, but not one I would start someone who has never seen the show on.
It really feels like it wouldn't have the same emotional impact if you haven't seen the show previously, but mostly I also think that introducing someone to the show with "The Body" is almost false adveristing - either good or bad I don't know - haha. Because that episode is special and rather unlike your typical Buffy... Imagine watching The Body and then going to Buffy season 1... I love season 1, but they're kind of miles apart.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
That is true
Top Bottom