• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 59 - August 2016

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

August: 2016

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb
Welcome to a hot off the presses edition of the Buffy Boards Newsletter! It’s the Back To School Edition! Yay!

… and Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

The House Always Wins

New Podcast is Up – “Our Secret Weapon is PMS” – find it, listen to it, and fall in love with the Buffy movie… or at least listen to us jammer about it

Ep2: Our Secret Weapon is PMS

Are you interested in BB commentaries? Go here and let us know!
BB Episode Commentaries - Any interest?

The Scooby Spotlight Round 1 is over, until the next round, take your chance and Ask the Staff – whatever you want!
Scooby Spotlight: Ask the Staff!

We are on episode 10 “Haunted” of the Dollhouse re-watch, jump in anytime
BB Dollhouse Rewatch

Keep your eyes open for an incoming Caption Contest! Take the chance to win your house some points!

Back to School a.k.a fall/autumn, a.k.a PUMPKIN EVERYTHING!

Fall is coming, so we thought we’d ask some of you what your favorite things are about the season, what you’re looking forwards to and of course – what is the coziest episode to watch, huddled up under a blanket, maybe with a cup of tea and some nice company?

@Bluebird is the easy to please gal!
What are you looking forward to this fall?
Time off work and cooler weather. I prefer the colder months, even if I do need to wrap up lots (She says while sitting in the sun
). I am easily pleased!

What is your favorite thing about the fall?

The colours. I go out for walks fairly often so it's nice to see the trees at the nearby river change. There is so much wildlife. On our last walk we saw squirrels, crows, rabbits, wood pigeons, and an eagle lol

What is the cosiest episode of Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse?
Oooh cosiest episode? Something nostalgic and cosy like Buffy season 1/2, lots of Bronze scenes, not too heavy in tone. Maybe 'Angel' or 'Teacher's Pet'.

@Carrie Hopewell
is the snuggle bunny!

What are you looking forward to this fall?
My Fall/Winter wardrobe! I love knits, because they're cozy and stylish, and it's easier and funner to dress well in the fall. Is that too shallow?

What is your favorite thing about the fall?
I'm in college so the start of the new school year is full of possibilities - to meet new people, to do well in classes, to learn/do something exciting. Plus, my classes are always more interesting in the first semester and I'm at peak performance. I also believe there's something really comforting about the fall: you start to wear warm clothing (but you're not freezing yet), you drink hot coffee and hot cocoa, you snuggle under the covers. It's probably my favorite season.

What is the cosiest episode of Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse?
Amends.
It has to be a Buffy episode. I haven't seen Firefly or Dollhouse and I don't watch Angel to be comforted. I watch Angel because it makes me uneasy, makes me reflect, take a long hard look at my life, it makes feel. I watch Buffy to be comforted. The high school seasons are charming and optimistic; watching those episodes is soothing because you know everything usually gets resolved, your favorite characters are young and innocent, my favorite couples are still together and even the saddest episode has a bright side. Amends, to me, is a good example of the best of the high school years - Giles makes (tentative) peace with Angel; Buffy and Xander, as well as Buffy and Faith, reconcile; Willow and Oz get back together (even though she betrayed him); Angel is tormented by the First, convinced of his own weakness and of the danger he poses to the world, but learns there is still one person who cares deeply for him and that sometimes the universe isn't that indifferent to one's suffering (aka magical snow). I'm an atheist so it's not the theological implications of the PTB that soothes me, it's being granted a small reprieve when you're about to give up, which is enough to keep going most days.[/QUOTE]

Athena ferreted out @POTN and subjected him to rigorous questioning pleasant conversation! :D

1. How (and why) did you found BB? What were your first thoughts about it?
A subscriber to the channel asked me to create a forum where we could all hangout and talk about Buffy. I figured with absolute certainty that that already existed and Googled around until I found you guys, pointing her here. After that I sort of lurked for a bit until I was finally tempted to reply to a thread about the Top 10 I made last month. CURSES.

2. What is it about Buffy that has you ‘coming back’?
Every season of the show is a concise statement about an aspect of becoming an adult. Like 7 tree rings. And since I often don't feel like an adult, I find myself going back to it. Also, I think life can be a little tedious and numbing. And coming back to the show over and over again is...grounding?

Sometimes lessons need to be relearned over and over and over again. I've gained and lost and gained weight. I've had success learning to grind my writing and editing habit, that seemed like it should translate to other things in life but then didn't. Maybe then the idea of "adulthood" is just another false finish line? And because of that you can come back to a show like Buffy forever and keep getting new things out of it.

3. If you could guest star in any Buffy or Angel episode, which episode would you choose?
Well realistically, I would probably be one of the Council nerds in Checkpoint trying to justify his job and feel important. Or the teacher in Earshot who thought, "If we could only get rid of all the students." Or maybe I'd be the swami that got murdered off camera before Angel showed up in Guise Will Be Guise.

...what was the question again?

4. What does a day in your life usually look like?
Wake up...think about the episode of the guide I'm supposed to be working on.
Walk to work...thinking about the episode of the guide I'm supposed to be working on.
Work...thinking about the episode of the guide I'd rather be working on.
Have dinner, thinking afterwards I'll start on the episode of the guide I'm supposed to be working on.
Procrastinate, thinking I can probably start tomorrow on the episode and everything will be fine.

Rinse and repeat.

On the weekends, sub in work for "time with friends."

5. If you could swap lives with one person for a day who would it be?
Joss Whedon. So I could propose a new Buffy series that was 12 episodes a season and each season was a single concise story arc from the life of a slayer sometime in history, or of a particular vampire. So what if Star Trek is already doing this? We can steal it.

6.When did you first start watching Buffy?
I've told this story in a livestream. I went and saw the Avenger's with my friend Nigel and was SO impressed by the way Whedon used SURPRISE in the script. Every scene had a twist or a joke - Loki demanding respect from the Hulk, and the Hulk banging him against the ground like a toy for instance. And I asked Nigel what Whedon properties I should try out. He suggested Buffy and Firefly. Since I was in the mood for a big meaty bingefest, I started with Buffy. By the Puppetshow I was calling him asking, "What is this man? Does this get better." By Innocence I was totally hooked.

7. What made you decide to start vlogging about Buffy?
I made Why You Should Watch Buffy for the reasons stated in the video. I was struggling to get my friends into the show and I finally thought, the hell with it and sat down and wrote that script. But the first Season for me was a hurdle and I thought...why not put together a little something to help people over the hump? Originally, it was supposed to be ONE video that covered all of Season 1 but after I started writing I found I had enough to say (with the aid of Mark Field's book) to have a whole script dedicated to the first episode. From there, things just kind of snowballed.

8. How does it feel to know that so many people subscribe and listen to your thoughts about Buffy?
Creatively crippling. I'm not particularly thick skinned. The more of the comments I read the harder it is to move onto the next video. The only way the videos get made is if I shut the world out of my head and then try and write something that I find entertaining. If I can make myself laugh with a script, or am moved by a particular thought then I'm ready to start recording the voice over. Often I don't get all the way there but start recording voice over anyway because of the schedule. My ambition has always been to have this be once a week.

But that's the only way that anything gets done. When I start thinking about people watching or listening to this I get a little crippled because I start trying to figure out how to CATER. Or am I going to say something that a lot of people disagree with (there is at least one of those in nearly every review.) And then nothing gets done.

Still, writing and making video content is the work I need to do to feel sane and I would do it if no one was watching. But the fact that people ARE into it is still pretty awesome. Most of the credit though goes to show. Buffy is about meaning and life and we as a fandom are anxious to connect and share with each other about that meaning. I've just tapped into an audience that wanted that.

9. Why do you think Buffy still resonates almost twenty years after it first aired?
Covered above.

10. Have you ever met any of the cast?
I met Emma Caulfield. And chickened out going up and meeting Amy Acker.
There's a video about the Emma story someplace.

11.Who's your favourite 'ship'?
Spike and Buffy. I've been in some self destructive relationships before and can identify. Poison candy.

12.Do you collect any merchandise?
Well I recently started to. Emma signed my Buffy boxed set. Also I bought my first home last year and decided to have my first tree and so started a collection of the Buffy & Angel ornaments....along with STTNG.

13. Favourite episode?
*begins shaking uncontrollably.

14.Favourite season?
Season 6 of Buffy. I love the bottoming-out darkness of it. I love Spike and Buffy's dirty poisonous relationship. It's the Once More With Feeling season. And despite the fact that Dark Willow has some cheesy dialogue here and there, I love that arc there at the end of the season. It's why I dedicated as much time to it as I did in a particular video. There is nothing quite like grief.

Season 5 of Angel. I'm a sucker for charm and Season 5 is the MOST charming season of that show. And then it's the most soul destroying. The Illyria/Wes storyline is a tragedy masterpiece. Some people have said that Season 5 of Angel FEELS the least like Angel of any of the Seasons and I get that. Which is why I'd say I'm more a fan of Buffy. When Angel was truest to itself and it's tone I think it get pretty dry.

16.Outside of Buffy & Angel, what other Whedonverse show is your favourite?
I have watched Dollhouse and Firefly exactly once. It's my intention to do a Why You Should Watch for both at some point so I'll probably be able to narrow it down better. Firefly was probably a better SHOW but I found the ideas in Dollhouse about identity more interesting to think about so....Roseanne?

17.Do you have a particular favourite writer or director on the show?
Obviously Whedon episodes are on another level from anyone else but other than him I'd say Espenson early on and Goddard in the later seasons.

18. In a recent poll on the boards to find the best character in the Whedonverse, the final two came down to Buffy and Faith, with Buffy eventually winning overall. Why do you think these two characters in particular are so powerful and endearing?
The entire show IS the arc of Buffy's life. Each season is about some specific aspect of change she undergoes. It only makes sense that we come to identify with her the most. And Faith travels the farthest distance from dark to light. And that is compelling that kind of redemption. Her journey is in some ways more interesting than Angel's since a lot of Angel's story occurs in flashback, while Faith's turmoil is mostly onscreen.

Plus you know...they're hot chicks with superpowers. Come on.

19. Oz or Tara?
Tara. If only because the struggle Tara and Willow experience are more "adult" and I think easier for me in the period of life I first caught the show to identify with.

20.Cordelia or Anya?
Cordy on Angel. If it's Cordy on Buffy, then Anja.

21. Darla or Drusilla?
DRU. No contest.

22. Dark Willow or Glory?
Dark Willow. SHES ONE OF US.

23.Joyce or Giles?
Giles. Giles was a character. Joyce was more often a plot device.

24. Buffy or Faith?
Buff.

25. Fred or Illyria?
Illyria is just more interesting. Fred often got used as a device for revealing characteristics of the men around her rather than having a life of her own. Gunn killing the Professor. Wesley's arc. Etc.

26. Kiss, Marry, Kill
I'm bad at this game. Cordy...uhm...Buffy...uh...the Mayor.

27. Spike, Angel, Riley
1. Spike is just so damn charming.
2. Angel shows signs of life the later into his series he gets. When your primary characteristic begins as brooding you're already starting behind in the race. But he comes into his own.
3. Poor poor Riley. Never tried to rape or murder any of the Scoobies and becomes the most hated boyfriend. Tough break.

28. Buffy, Willow, Xander
Ranking? I think you got it.

29. Angelus, Mayor Wilkins, The Master
That's a good order. Making Angel the big bad in Season 2 was a stroke of genius. The first, true Breaking Bad.

30. Kennedy, Rona, Amanda
I stared at this question for at least two minutes.

31. Warren, Jonathan, Andrew
Andrew, Jonathan, Warren.
I LOVE Season 7 Andrew. He's one of the best parts of that Season 7. But I can see his personality rubbing some people the wrong way. Jonathan had his moments. I've been thinking about his arc now that I did the Earshot review. Warren is probably the most HATED 'Bad' (I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of saying 'Big') in the series.

32. Buffy, Kendra, Faith
Buffy, Faith, Kendra. Kendra was kind of a misfire to me. And a bit...uhm...tone deaf? Just sayin.

33. Angel, Wesley, Gunn
Wesley, Angel, Gunn.

What’s going on in the Whedonverse?

NPR and Buffy; a love story

During an NPR politics Live in Chicago the political reporter Danielle Kurtzleben talked about academic research on broadband internet and its association with higher affective polarization in politics, and that a possible causal link is visiting more partisan websites. “You find the niche of the internet that you like. You like burrow into the corner that you’re already sort of predisposed towards and you get sucked even further into it.”

Then she got to the meat of her point:

Danielle Kurtzleben: I mean it’s proof that it makes people mean (the internet) in a certain sense, and it’s kind of scary, it’s a perversion of what was so great about the internet at first. Like if you were a big fan of… Buffy for example…

*some cheers from the crowd*

Sam Sanders: Buffy fans!

Ron Elving: Who wasn’t?

Danielle: Like you could find your community online and it would make you more of a super fan, arguably that’s great, but this seems to make you more of a super fan in a different way.

So basically we’re interpreting this as NPR officially* stating that Buffy is the best thing about the internet! Yay! It’s totally official now! :p

*not officially

SMG’s company Foodstirs in stores now! In Southern California that is, at Gelsons, the Slayer and friends showed off their moves to celebrate…

http://instagr.am/p/BIxfcV_DJpc/
SMG also wished former president Bill Clinton a Happy Birthday (to about equal amounts of horror and joy among her fans) and proved that she is officially 1 degree in 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon!

ADDENDUM to SMG news:
day after posting the Newsletter SMG posted the first editions of some 'sweet swag' for Foodstirs
http://instagr.am/p/BJvr_yLDs5t/ How do YOU like your eggs? ;)

Charisma was kind enough to share this 80’s horror delight with her fans

James Marsters turned a year younger! (Well it kind of looks like it) He was congratulated on Twitter by the likes of Sarah Michelle Gellar, Juliet Landua and James Leary. And for Con people – there’s a possibility he will join Nerf Herder on stage! Keep your peepers open!

Spike and Clem forever! <3

If there’s ever another Jay and Silent Bob movie – this is my official call for James Marsters to be in it, possibly as Spike or some kind of parody of him!

Eliza is filming a new movie in Boston, Crooks

http://instagr.am/p/BJf5LfghxPI/
Eliza also shared this beauty from a great film! Look how cute they were.

http://instagr.am/p/BJib1e4Bgf0/

Nicholas Brendon is also in a new movie “Redwood”

And this happened… Who ordered Christian Kane’s butt? @Lyri?

Don’t forget to get your issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer – The High School Years: Freaks and Geeks

Member Quotes

Guy actually has two posts of the month!
One in Who do you prefer: Willow, Tara, or Fred? because it’s adorable :
I refuse to answer, on the grounds that they're all fantastic.

The other in Why did Giles get assigned to Buffy?

I think being the active Slayer's watcher is NOT a position of honor. I mean, it's a ton of messy work, and it's dangerous, and it's incredibly routine-y (slayer's die all the time, after all), and it's just not the kind of thing that I'd see fancy british people like Quentin Travers aspiring to be. I think being the active slayer's watcher is kinda like being the guy who replaces and oils tank parts in the army - it's a dirty, un-appreciated job. Just look at who got chosen to be active watchers in the show - Giles, who was a "bad boy" (by, err, english standards), and Wesley, who was a total loser. It's clearly not a position of respect.

And thetopher in More of a Good Guy? Spike or Faith (this is an abridged version of the post, for the full one please visit the thread)

Robin now thinks that his mother no longer loved him and he was told that by the guy who killed her. Yay for Robin, because that's what he takes away from it.

Not that his mother was human struggling with a destiny, but that she didn't love him because she had other things outside her life as Mom.

That's actually a very Spike' view of things 'if you love one thing then you can't love another'. Love for him is complete and all-consuming. If you were generous you could say that's the romantic 'Love's Bitch' in him coloring his view of love.

But really, in reality, anybody can love two things in their lives at once and value both of them equally and without conflict. Buffy does it all the time.

If Spike is incapable of understanding that then fine, its just a flaw in his character.

Again I'll say you don't get to pick and choose which bad things you feel guilty about. Spike felt and still feels guilt about Buffy (even in S10) but not about this is either illogical or Spike is just being insincere about feeling about hurting (which i don't think).

It feels...contrived to me, like a lot about Spike' character growth this season, It rarely rings true or feels believable, its fitting a narrative that the writers want to tell because Spuffy.

Example: Spike is his most contrite when Buffy is on hand to see it; In 'Beneath You' and Sleeper' Why is that necessary? So we can get Buffy to feel sorry for him primarily, but he never feels bad in front of other people, no signs or regret or sorrow. I think this episode missed a trick there.

(…)

But okay, you're saying that when Spike did good it was his personality.

I posit that Spike hunting slayers was part of his personality too- hell, the episode shows us the effect that Spike's Mum had on him- turned him from Anne Rice vampire who still loves him Mum into a traumatized psychotic who goes around putting rail road spikes in people, making Angelus of all people tell Spike to chill the hell out.

And isn't it funny that as soon as he hears about slayers- powerful women that hunt demons- Spike, who now has serious issues with women (his mum most of all) goes out to prove he's a man by finding, stalking and then killing these powerful women for the fun/challenge of it? Nothing to do with his Mum's words to him?

So there you have it, you could make a very good case to say Spike killed those slayers because of his personality. He did evil things because of his personality. He hurt Buffy in their relationship because of his personality.

But he only feels bad about Buffy because..?

And also Spike doesn't apply this soul/not soul thinking to say...Angel. When they fight in 'Destiny' Spike says that Angel 'made him a monster'. But surely that would be 'Angelus' that 'made him', and yet he clearly blames only Angel? So why does a soul change Spike but not Angel? Why is Angel responsible for what he did to Spike but Spike isn't...

(…)

Should they feel bad all the time? No they shouldn't (and Angel doesn't actually) but an acknowledgement of the damage the demons inside them (which are still there) caused shows a...humility perhaps? A respect for where their powers come from. A reminder of how their humanity separates what they are from what they were.

I dunno, I just get Angel's pov more than Spike's hazy reasoning.

Again, its not what he did, but how he did it. I respect what Spike did but I think he was an ass-hat behaving the way he did, and he showed a true lack of empathy to somebody else that had lost their mother is tragic circumstances.

Blast from the Past

Double Trouble for the Master!

That’s all for now, keep calm and keep Buffy-Boarding.

Ta-ta for now and leave your comments below!

Last edited:
Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
Fantastic! :)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Love it! Excellent work T :D I'll be sure not to apply for any hard-hitting reporter jobs anytime soon - thanks to @POTN for putting up with my many many many many many questions though :) (He is a patient man indeed!)

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Loved this newsletter! Thank you for quoting me. I am not a snuggle bunny though :p Really liked the Q&A with @POTN, I totally knew he was a Spuffy shipper.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Man, I can really go on, right? :D

Excellent newsletter as always. But like, 10% better because you quoted me. :)

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Thanks to all involved! Fun read. I feel like I've had a secret glimpse into the future of @POTN's videos! Exciting! *punches own brain in the face* Mustn't get ahead of myself.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Thanks guys, :)

Just added the image SMG posted recently... Foodstirs swag coming your way, if you're a fan that is, and also she's back to blonde... that does't seem like good news for the potential Cruel Intentions pilot/series.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Member Quotes

Guy actually has two posts of the month!

:)

Great newsletter! And man, Eliza and SMG are freakin' immortal!

Also, uh... I think the "Kiss, marry, kill" part in the POTN interview was kinda misunderstood... You're supposed to answer who you'd kiss, marry and kill of each of the trios you're presented with. You're not supposed to rank who you love the most in each trio...

Top Bottom