• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 61 - March/April 2017

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

Welcome to the return of the Buffy Boards Newsletter, after an unexpectedly long hiatus!

… and Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

The Magic Box

20 years ago on March 10th 1997 we said: Bienvenue à Sunnydale, partie 1; Bem Vinda à Boca do Inferno; Ystäviä ja paholaisia osa 1; La Cosecha, Parte 1; Benvenuti al college; Velkomin til Vítismunnsins; Das Zentrum des Bösen! Or you know… Welcome to the Hellmouth!

Some basics about the introduction to the Buffyverse:

The script was written in 1996, but six revisions followed, until there was a final one in January 17, 1997. The scene with Buffy and Giles at the Bronze was Tony Head’s audition scene, the scene where Angel warns Buffy about the harvest was David B’s audition scene. Jesse (Eric Balfour) was supposed to appear in the credits, to increase the shock of his death, but the show could not afford the extra set of title credits.

The Master’s name wasn’t mentioned on screen, however in the script his age (600 years old) and name (Heinrich Joseph Nest), which means that he pre-dates even Prussia and that Darla has about 200 years to go before she goes bumpy and fangy beyond repair. Speaking of, the bald look for the Master was a homage to Nosferatu suggested by Mark Metcalf (thank you Mark!) as the Master originally featured a beard and long hair.

The WB had a teaser showing the history of past Slayers, revealing the horrific events in towns that were halted when a particular woman arrived. The teaser does not appear in syndication or on DVD sadly.

Reading:

Here you can read what the New York Times had to say about Buffy back in 1997, “For Miss Gellar the role is a chance to try something new”, read more: Buffy Is Sweet, 16 and Slaying Vampires

And from 1998, SMG and the power of Buffy-hood! In Rolling Stone: Slay Lady Slay: Sarah Michelle Gellar and the Power of Buffy-hood

The show, according to Wikipedia, was

· 41st on TV Guide's list of 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

· Second on Empire's "50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time"

· 27th on The Hollywood Reporter's "Hollywood's 100 Favorite TV Shows"

· Voted third in 2004 and 2007 on TV Guide's "Top Cult Shows Ever

Ranked #38 in 2016 on Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

First day at school... last day in Sunnydale

gif by The-powerofthree
are you ready to be strong?

by jbuffyandangel
https://did%3D6b811ac8c9272588bd6530b388c5fbac99e69a43%3Bid%3D158239538933%3Bkey%3DlW6D32cRNXE6pPVyqtJStg%3Bname%3Djbuffyangel
http://instagr.am/p/BRd5Y_ZjtAW/

No one has missed the Entertainment Weekly Reunion right?

If you did, see more here 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Cast Reunites for 20th Anniversary

Why “Hush” was the hardest episode to shoot, not only was it mentally exhausting but no one wanted to sit with the Gentleman at lunch! Those poor guys, I’m sure if they had just smiled more… right?

'Buffy' Reunion: Why 'Hush' Was the 'Hardest Episode' for the Cast to Shoot

Some Tillow appreciation

On the boards we celebrated with a 20th anniversary forum 20 Years of Buffy Anniversary Celebration
Where we celebrated with lists of twenty, memories of the 90s, memories of the show and relationship to it, and also by ranking the episodes (Becoming pt2 was the winner! Buffy Boards Top 144 - Results)

Going on:
Battle of the Sexes Tournament

The Battle of the Sexes

You haven’t missed this right? If you had to pick one person to go into battle with, who would it be? A new Buffy-Boards tournament that pits the men against the women! Go get your battle buddy right now! Pick a side :D

Bookclub

The book club is making a return, @Foxy is steering this ship, so keep your eyes open for the next book club thread and get your hands on a copy of Tales of the Slayer vol2!

Reminder
Abbreviations and kewl talk reminder

Last podcast, “It was acceptable in the 90’s” we talk (with what’s been described as a ‘scattershot focus’) about the anniversary and what Buffy has meant to us, and you it can be found on iTunes or any other podcast app! Keep your eyes open for the next podcast, or subscribe to use in iTunes or any other podcast app. Please, rate, subscribe and review... not necessarily in that order :)

What’s going on in the Whedonverse?

Sarah Michelle Gellar is now a published author - go to your nearest Amazon website or wherever else you get your books to pick up a copy of "Stirring up fun with Food", and for hardcore SMG fans, keep your eyes open for this retired-Slayer on cooking channels like Rachel Ray and other food related media outlets.
http://instagr.am/p/BSdfoKJjYFI/
*David Boreanaz has landed a new role in CBS’s new, as of yet, untitled Navy Seal show

*Eliza Dushku will be appearing on the CBS show "Bull"

*Marc Blucas can be seen as John Hawkes in the series "Underground"

*Charisma Carpenter will be seen in “The Griddle House”, now in post-production! Keep your peepers peeled for this movie also starring Amber Benson and Clare Kramer

*What about Aly Hannigan... well Looper asked the question "Why Hollywood won’t cast Alyson Hannigan anymore" - Why Hollywood won't cast Alyson Hannigan anymore

Do you agree? Disagree? What would you like to see next for Aly?

Do Clare a solid? For Emma? :)

Sharing is caring, and sisters share, right? Well, which Summer’s sister wore it best?

New coloring book:

First there was the Buffy coloring book, which sold out quickly and left several of our members waiting for their orders to arrive, now there’s the sequel! Pre-order now, the next installment in the BtVS coloring book (series?) this time focusing on Big Bads and Monsters

Resolutions for 2017

by Angelic Slayer

The original idea was to ask for resolutions around New Years, but… now we’ll pester you about whether or not you made resolutions, and stuck to them!
Questions asked:
Did you make any new years resolutions this year?
If yes, have you kept them?
If no, what resolution would you make for the rest of the year right now?

My resolutions are to graduate, get a job as a teacher and to exercise more regularly.
Graduation... mmmh, can't say if I'm there yet or not! Still a few months left.
Get a job as a teacher, well I have a very promising job interview next week (fingers crossed).
Finally, I have started exercising, but I don't have a rhythm yet, so have not achieved this one yet!

Go for it :)
1. Yes, I did- to be more adventurous and do cool things like body boarding and mountain biking.
2. No... Well kinda, I took up skate boarding instead, so I get some cool points right?
3. 3 days ago I decided to quit drinking and stop drinking soft drink. So far so good.
Questions:
Did you make any new years resolutions this year?

Yes my main one is to lose weight and get fit.

If yes, have you kept them?

Having broken my leg this is proving a little difficult to do. I've not given up on the idea but it's in planning stages at the moment as I can watch what I eat just not exercise.

If no, what resolution would you make for the rest of the year right now?

I am still in the mind set of starting and continuing my original plan of action, it just has a bump in the road at the moment.

by @Angelic Slayer

Where's Buffy?
How many Buffies (or SMGs) can you find in this picture? Leave your answer below!

Caption this!
What caption would you give this picture! Answer below
crop2_cast2.jpg

Member Quotes

@Carrie Hopewell from: Wolfram and Hart​
Well, I agree with what @thetopher said, but maybe one of the reasons why Jasmine wiped out the L.A. branch of W&H is because they were the competition. Jasmine, like most gods, wanted to be worshiped. She has a statue of herself in the other demon world Angel visited and wanted to build a temple of herself on Earth. The wolf, the ram and the hart are some of the original demons that ruled this planet along with the gods and the powers that were like Jasmine. That means W&H have as much, if not more, power than Jasmine. That was bad for her plans, since the Senior Partners and the Circle of the Black Thorn were planning a major apocalypse and she was planning utopia, and bad for her ego, because she had to be the most powerful and worshiped power.
I mean, W&H offered Angel and his team the keys to W&H's L.A. branch because they did what W&H failed to do: stop world peace. Neither W&H nor Jasmine could go through with their bigger plans as long as the other existed.

@GraceK from: Eight Buffy and Angel Characters Who Are Unfairly Despised​
I have to say, I think Connor is probably one of the most realistically portrayed effects of child abuse. He literally was abused by his parent figure emotionally, physically and psychologically...to the point where he actually loves his kidnapper and abuser. Volatile, angry, lack of trust , and easy to manipulate. And yet still so many fans seem to hate him and have no sympathy...I don't get it. So hes unlikable...and? How else should he be? he's possibly one of the most tragic figures. When he returns in season 5 well adjusted and happy you could see that he's a naturally good person. Big Connor fan here :)

@Mylie in: Tim Minear's Thoughts on Angel​
My initial reaction was HELL NO. And I admit I find it sad/disappointing that my favorite AtS writer thinks that.

But I think it comes down to the aesthetics of television nowadays. It does feel very different. When you have shows like GoT who visually look as polished as big movie productions and shows with more diversity and who takes bigger risks, maybe it's natural that he feels AtS isn't really representative of what TV is like today.

I think it still holds up though and the proof is that new generations of viewers who are watching those new shows are still discovering BtVS and AtS and they enjoy it just fine, some of them even become real fans. I made a friend of mine (he's like 21 years old) watch BtVS and AtS a couple of months ago and he had no trouble getting into it, he related to the characters and the storylines, etc. He also kept saying omg X show took that storyline from AtS! So I think as long as other TV shows are still inspired by it, then it still holds up.

@RomanticSoul in: The whole Angel/guilt thing...​
Again I bring up the fact that Liam was raised Irish-Catholic. While he may not have lived by it I'm pretty sure that's how he was raised (considering the words his father always uses). Of course there is also the fact that your head and heart will tell you different things. You can rationalize what you did and say that wasn't you. But you still have the memories and more importantly the emotions felt by the demon when he slaughtered. You have a first person POV of the things the demon did in your body. Those things are bound to have you have a different emotional response.

I also always thought that a huge reason he feels so guilty is because of how the demon turned out after he was turned. If he hadn't been as he was as a human maybe his demon wouldn't have been one of the worst to ever exist. If only he had been a better man back then...

@Bluebird in: What if Kate had taken the Justine role?​
I don't think it would work. I liked Kate and her story, and I think to get her to the point of no return they would have had to do something very different than what we saw on screen. Although the original idea for Kate was a lot darker, with an undercover vice/junkie cop idea. As far as I recall. If they'd went that far with her from the start it would work, but that wasn't gonna happen on the WB in the 90s.

I never understood how people see her as a Buffy ripoff, other than hair colour and being onscreen with David Boreanaz. She was about as far away from Buffy as a person could be. Women don't have to be defined by the men in their life. I think she could be a character in her own right.

Art of the Month

is by @Zenseem

for more art, go here Zenseem's Art

Blast from the Past

In the year 2009 @Bluebird made this masterpiece, let’s celebrate the glories of old art threads :D

Bluebird's Art

Nicky and James gives all this lovely art some big kisses and hugs!
6307c1fd88e2afa5f6e72ad69a947652.jpg

I’ve shared this before but it’s worth repeating that time the crew voiced their opinions on Buffy’s dating life in season 3

It’s worth voicing because her boyfriend with a pulse was left out of the reunion, and you know what guys, give some love to Briley, it was a lovely pairing*

Beautiful Briley gif by coalitiongirl

*I solemnly swear this post has not been paid for by @brinkster130

Ta-ta for now and leave your comments below!

most of the art of this newsletter was made by the talented @GwenRaiden whose help in putting together this newsletter was immense!​

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Really, really great newsletter packed with lotsa stuff.

Good job! :)

p.s I got 17 Buffy's! But I may have counted one twice.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
The newsletter is back! :D

And ahaaa! I remember the old BB pride banners. It was after a bad spell of high drama, I'm sure, and the banners were to bring back some fun. I can't say much for the artistry though, lol.

Taake
Taake
Shush you, that banner is a masterpiece!
Top Bottom