• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 66 - January 2018

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Newsletter Issue 66: January 2018

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb
Welcome to the Buffy Boards Newsletter! Grab some popcorn, take a seat, and enjoy…
… and Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

*The 10th annual Buffies are under way!
Get your partyhats ready, it's going to be shock full of hoot, with just a little bit of nanny!

Nominate the members you think should win an award! You have until the 15th of Februrary, more info here: The Buffies 2018 -

And don't forget to reserve your date for the festivities The 10th Annual Buffies - Reserve Your Date

*New Bookclub is under way, this time we'll be reading a book by Amber Benson, let us know if you're interested in joining us!

Bookclub - "The Witches of Echo Park" by Amber Benson

*Keep an eye out for the coming Buffy-Boards Film Club!

One movie a month, from the Whedonverse, and you'll get a chance to vote for the movies you think we should watch! Please feel free to start sending me your movie suggestions!

*Note on posting, using swear words &tc, please read guys.

Please Read - Posting

Happy birthday BB, can you believe that Buffy-Boards is a teenager! Well, we don't look a day over 16 I'd say... which just happens to be our age!
Happy Birthday BB

Episode 20 - where we talk all about our (my) fear of puppets and Athena's weird love for them... It's of course about The Puppet Show from Buffy season 1, where we were all introduced to the greatest love of all - Cordelia's fearlessness!
Once More, with Podcast Episode 20: The Greatest Love of All

*Browncoats unite! The Firefly canon will be expanded upon in book form!
The 'Firefly' canon is expanding with a series of original books

*Foodstirs is all about that Muglife...
Mugcake that is. Get your mugcake mixes now!
http://instagr.am/p/Be3Oiv-DHf7/
*Seth Green had a birthday and Sarah Michelle Gellar sent him a greeting with this adorable photo of the two of them as kids
http://instagr.am/p/Be8I7kuDwLm/
*Eliza Dushku is crowd sourcing her latest project Mapplethorpe
http://instagr.am/p/Be3oOHtjcBc/
*The Usual Suspects...
Cordy, Anya, Glory and Tara walk into a bar... and it looks like they had a great time!

Do you like Buffy inspired art?
Check out this art by Mike Collins of TikiMachine (can be bought as a poster at Whedoncon.com)
ef72f06684b691bba34c92d21bb5fb0c.png

Buffy badassery... which bad ass moments are your favorites?

Quote of the month

gnarl in 31 days of 31 Days of (Christmas) Spuffy
Day 24: What's the main reason you appreciate Spuffy?
I'm not a huge fan of romance, that's not what draws me into a story most of the time but Spuffy is an exception from this because it doesn't follow a traditional 'romance' arc. The story doesn't 'end' when they get together, or even when they break up. Whether their friends, enemies or lovers they still have a connection which extends beyond the romantic.
As much as I squealed with happiness when they got together in season 10, I was enjoying their friendship up until that point too. If the writers had decided to go a different direction with their relationship and they had never gotten together again, I would still be happy, because for me, it's not about reaching this single goal of happy couple-hood, its about an interesting and ever changing relationship between two people.
Deadly Duo in Ships are like Perfume
I've come to the conclusion that ships are like perfume. Each ship is made up of multiple different elements (only two of those elements are the characters) and, like perfume, what appeals to one person may not appeal to another even though it's the same elements.

Obviously the biggest debate in the Buffy fandom is Bangel vs Spuffy. Both ships have at least 3 elements in common:

Buffy
Vampire lover
Drama

Yet are very divisive amongst the fandom. What are the finer notes that differentiate the ships beyond the generalisations? What is it about any ship that makes someone like it over another?

In my opinion, when it comes to shipping, it's not exactly a matter of choice. People don't choose their favourites ships, their ships kind of choose them. If everyone could choose a ship then there would be no shipping wars, however whilst a ship may appeal to one person, it won't appeal to another. A good example of this is Spuffy and Bangel, as mentioned above they have at least 3 things in common with each other, yet are liked by one group for the very same reason it is disliked by the other.

I thought it would be interesting for everyone to dissect their favourite and least favourite ships into elements and discuss what it is about those ships that make you like/dislike them.

I'll go first:

Ship name: Sprusilla
Elements: Spike, Drusilla, vampires, evil, caring, love, chemistry, long-term relationship, villains

This is my favourite ship in the entire Buffyverse. I enjoy villain couples because it gives them that extra dimension where they're not just "Mwahahahahah". Spike and Drusilla are fun characters and the actors have great sexual/romantic chemistry together, you can believe that Spike and Dru have been together for years. That's another thing I love about this ship pairing, they're one of the longest relationships in the Buffyverse (at 118 years) despite being vampires. They care about and love each other which makes them so much more interesting than your usual bog standard vampire.

Ship name: Spuffy
Elements: Spike, Buffy, drama, sex, slayer, vampire, chemistry

Spuffy just doesn't work for me. Individually I like all the elements, but together it's just not right. For me, the chemistry between Spike and Buffy is that of frenemies. You can imagine them helping each other out occasionally and getting on each others nerves but not actually involved in a romantic relationship unless it is a Something Blue scenario. The drama between them in Season 6 was too dark for my liking and I think the poetry of the vampire/slayer coupling was lost. The sex scenes tried to be hot but they weren't sexy if you know what I mean, they always had an edge to them that seemed like a lack of emotional involvement between the characters. I like Buffy and Spike as separate characters but together as a romantic couple, they just don't work for me.

Ragnarrocker B in Could Buffy have killed Anya?
My answer is probably. The build up of Buffy's character arc has culminated, at that point, to her forming a code of ethics she has to adhere to when doing her Slayer duties; From past events you can kind of get the gist of what it is that Buffy thinks the title of Slayer means.

1. The Slayer must do what is necessary, even if the act conflicts with her personal goals. This includes self-sacrifice, the necessary killing of loved ones, and protection of those unable to protect themselves. Examples being Buffy's deaths in seasons 1 and 5, sacrificing Angel in season 2, and finally both Dawn as well as The Potentials.
2. The Slayer must let the laws of man govern men.
3. The Slayer is the only form of law-enforcement in within the mystical community.

So say Willow didn't do... Whatever it is that she did, and Anya didn't get to revert the murders she caused, Buffy, by her own Slayer code, is the law-enforcement. Since Anya isn't human, she cannot be held to the standards of human law. Anya has now crossed the line from mischievous to malevolent, and which means that for the good of mankind, it's necessary to slay Anya.

While I don't think Buffy entirely wants to kill Anya, I think she definitely can, and probably would. She did drive a sword through Angel and left him stuck in a hell dimension. She did also sacrifice herself at the tender age of 15. She did also choose to die in her sister's place. Buffy absolutely could do this but if Anya chose to return to her status as a vengeance demon, and if that is the arbiter of whether or not a person cannot be brought back from the brink, then by these rules Buffy should also have killed Willow, who chose dark magic over dealing with her own grief and then skinned a person alive.

Now, obviously Buffy wasn't going to kill her best friend, as hypocritical as that may be. I think there's something very human about how duty and personal interest sometimes violently clash and sometimes it feels objectively more moral to act in our own personal interest. But Buffy did come pretty close to ending Anya, so here's what I think that means;

The rules are different for core Scoobies, and secondary Scoobies.

Oz, Tara, and Anya are more secondary members. They are auxillary characters, and thus more expendable. Buffy herself is also not very close friends with any of them. Without the same close personal attachment that she has Xander, Willow or Giles, Buffy can act more according to her role as the Slayer in regards with them, than she can as Buffy Summers, a person with empathy and a desire to reform rather than kill. There's always a power struggle between the two, and neither is 100% correct, and a lot of Buffy's character can be deduced from how and when she chooses to act as a Slayer, and when she chooses to bend that moral code in order to reach a better outcome.

While Buffy didn't especially want to kill Anya, I do think they lacked the personal connection to drive Buffy into a serious moral dilemma. Buffy's sense of duty overcame her sense of personal interest which meant that Buffy, albeit very reluctantly, would have eventually killed Anya.

And considering Buffy's resume up to this point, Buffy could fight at 25% her capability and still beat Anya. It's not a question of would Buffy, it's a question of how long until Buffy finally overpowered Anya and was put in a position where she had to make a conscious choice between killing or sparing Anya.

Buffy probably would kill Anya. Although I am offering room here because while Buffy might not be very close to Anya, Xander is. And if Xander can talk Willow down from ending all life on earth, he might also be able to talk Buffy out of slaying Anya.
sk73 in Buffy forgiving Spike?
I think it's about the ability to see beyond the face of a person.
Being able to see the difference even if the cover is the same so to speak.

That's something I think is an important thing to do but isn't always that easy.
So it's a trait I really like with Buffy and a reason why I don't mind the storyline.

Characters like Holtz and even Wood was never able to do that. They wanted revenge on creatures that didn't exists anymore.
They went for people who just looked the part since they couldn't see, or didn't want to see, the difference behind those faces.
That's not very impressive in my mind. Understandable perhaps though...

/SK

Art of the month

@HowiMetdaSlayer bringing the Agents of Shield love

from more art, check out the thread I Only Have Gimp For You

Blast from the past
Mercedes McNab shared these pictures from the last day on the set of Angel on her instagram! You should go give her a follow!
IMG_3960.jpg IMG_3962.jpg

That's it for this issue, ta-ta for now! Leave your comments below!

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
awwwwww thanks! :)

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Here's an idea for the newsletter, is there a naughty person list; there used to be a banned for three months then banned completely.
Here's an idea which is a virtual slap on the wrist type thing.
A list could be put in the newsletter. If you want to try it out you could try and use any members name, just don't slap the back of the hand to hard, as I wouldn't want the members to enjoy it to much. There are a few names I could suggest but .. .. ..