• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 68 - May 2019

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Newsletter Issue 68: May 2019

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb
Welcome to the Buffy Boards Newsletter! Grab some popcorn, take a seat, and enjoy…
… and Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.
Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

Hey guys, welcome to this latest issue of the BB newsletter! With the Buffies out of the way, new comics dropping, and the summer (winter for some members) looming ahead, it felt like it was time to catch everyone up with what's been going on and what will be going on! Keep reading :)

*Scooby Spotlight!
Fresh meat, I mean, newbies! Check over here! Want to get grilled about your deepest and darkest secrets? Like sharing your favorite ice cream or color?
Well look no further, skip right over to the sign up sheet to get in our hot seat and you’ll be peppered with questions for about a week!

*Angel 20th Anniversary
The 20th Anniversary celebrations for Angel is still on-going, keep your eyes open for an incoming re-watch of season 1. Newbies, as in newbies to Angel the show, please watch with us and let us know what you think about this great show, from a first-timer perspective!
Go here for more info Angel Season 1 Rewatch

Here is the episode watching schedule:
May 11th - City Of
May 18th - Lonely Hearts
May 25th - In The Dark
June 1st - I Fall to Pieces
June 8th - Rm w/a vu
June 15th - Sense and Sensitivity
June 22nd - Bachelor Party
June 29th - I Will Remember You
July 6th - Hero
July 13th - Parting Gifts
July 20th - Somnambulist
July 27th - Expecting
August 3rd - She
August 10th - I've Got You Under My Skin
August 17th - Prodigal
August 24th - The Ring
August 31st - Eternity
September 7th - Sanctuary
September 14th - Five by Five
September 21st - War Zone
September 28th - Blind Date
October 5th - To Shanshu in LA

Soul Trade Book Club
The Soul Trade book club threads can be found in the anniversary forum, go there when you get your copy of this Angel-tie in. Or let us know if there are any other Angel-books you'd like us to read together! Book Club: Soul Trade

*Film Club
We will be introducing a Buffy-Boards Film Club shortly, it'll have a separate forum where you can check in to see what the monthly movie pick is, and set a time to watch with either staff or other members via rabb.it, or on separate devices and chat in the Chatty Room here on the boards.

Podcast
To be or not to be, that is the question. Voice your thoughts on the future of OMWP here The future of Once More, with Podcast

*Also here is a repetition for those who missed it - Conversations! You can now export your conversations, if you run out of space and want to hold on to them... export! New: Ability to Export Conversations
And please check out Buffy Summers' BB tips and tricks!

Boom! Studios: Buffy lives!

Did you know that Buffy is back? Of course you did! Because we've already speculated about the new, more buff looking Spike, Dru's character make-over, Buffy's potential love life, Willow's new attitude, and for the love of god Xander being turned into a vampire!?
Go here to discuss further in eager anticipation of the next issue (due to be released in June 2019)
and Boom! didn't forget about your favorite, or least favorite, vampire!
Angel #0 is on the shelves and kindle

Meet Angel – a vampire cursed with a soul who has spent centuries protecting humanity from the monsters that lurk in the dark…including himself. Now, looking for redemption for the atrocities committed by the monster he was when he was first turned at the age of 18, Angel stumbles upon a new demon uprising and a shocking truth: The restoration of his humanity can only come if he takes one more life: a certain Slayer from Sunnydale who he’s never met…but may now be his greatest enemy.
Angel #1 was just released, go here to discuss and check out that gorgeous coverart
“We got our first taste of Angel in yesterday’s game-changing Buffy #4 and surprise release of Angel #0, but that’s only the start of the newly reimagined vampire’s story in this modern Buffyverse.” said Jeanine Schaefer, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios. “The questions weighing on Angel—the possibility of redemption, whether or not we own our own mistakes, and how we weigh the value of the lives around us versus our own—remain extremely relevant today. Bryan and Gleb are tackling that head on, set against the centuries-long backdrop of the horrors Angel has seen and committed, revealing aspects of Angel’s history that are sure to shock longtime fans.”
Angel #0 and Angel #1 kick off with a demonic uprising that leads Angel away from Los Angeles and straight to Sunnydale, where he discovers that the restoration of his humanity can only come if he takes one more life: a certain Slayer he’s never even met. The brooding vamp is still reckoning with the latest death on the never-ending list of debts he owes against his soul—can he make one last sacrifice if it means finally knowing Peace?

Did you also know that Serenity is still flying?
Boom! Studios has also released new Firefly comics! Prepare for an all-new era of the pop culture phenomenon Firefly, as one of the most demanded stories in the franchise’s history is revealed for the first time! Focusing on family, loyalty, identity, and the price of redemption, writer Greg Pak (Mech Cadet Yu, Totally Awesome Hulk) and artist Dan McDaid (Judge Dredd: Mega City Zero) take you back to the battleground where Mal’s journey began—the War of Unification!
Go here to discuss Firefly

REST IN PEACE
Sadly, we also have to say Rest in Peace to Luke Perry - the actor who played Pike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer back in 1992 - who passed away in February this year.
RIP Luke Perry

Former Buffy co-star Kristy Swanson reveals was encouraged by Luke to audition for the part and remembers him as the cheerleader on set!

So Social!
Not the friendship we wanted, but the one we deserved? Sunnydale meets Jersey Shore?
IMG_8390.jpg

Eliza showing off that baby bump!
http://instagr.am/p/BwLX9cjFmTr/
Give us a 20th anniversary celebration already!
Until then… let's talk Angel's hair

Joss Whedon took time off from working on his new show to talk MCU. Did you cry?

NewBUffy.png
Who gets to be Buffy?
Recently we discussed that the actress Jessica Parker Kennedy have declared her interest in playing Buffy, some say she's too old, others feel that a woman of color should get the part. What say you? Who should be the new Buffy? (the actresses pictured have not been asked, they're just there to suggest alternatives)

Member contribution
This text about the humour and art of being funny was penned by Illyrian

Humour and the art of being funny.
To those who possess the ability to make people laugh they should look away now while those who don’t possess the ability learn how to so they can annoy the crap out of others, or not as the case may be.

There is the physical sense of humour that is often called slapstick that often involves falling over, sometimes by clowns with size eighteen shoes.

There is the art of how to depreciate, or to belittle a person or oneself.
And yes the Surreal, the weird and illogical non sensical or just plain silly, much of which was portrayed so brilliantly by the Monty Pythons team.

There is the improvisional humour which is often created on the spot.

Then that magical event of when wordplay is used and it is good. Using the written word, and by giving it a new meaning create the perceived funny IE Hear about the chef who died recently, he pasta way.

The Topical humour, the humour derived from events of the day’s news.

Observational humour that pokes fun at life.

The great Bodily Joke, and they that are never allowed here the fart jokes mixed with toilet humour.

But don’t you just love the Dark humour, even though it can be a depressing theme. And the very sick side of Dark Humour, what can’t turn around in a narrow alleyway oh wait this is a family friendly board so I can’t say what.

Sarcasm can be when the funny isn’t obvious though when the *victim* realizes what was meant it is too late to make a worthwhile reply.

As for Deadpan humour when shown in all its glory it is wonderful to behold, even when said by anyone of any age who understands how it should be done.

(I suggest going to the internet then type on the address bar: Karl Eschen A dry sense of humor )
- Illyrian

Do you have anything you would like to share? Just shoot me a PM and maybe it'll appear in the next newsletter!

Quote of the month
Taking it back to the basics, KatrinaL reminding us all why we loved the show in the first place, go share your reasons too! Question - Back to basics: Can you tell us your three top reasons for loving BtVS?

I assume that people in this forum love BtVS for one reason or another, or a combination of them (i.e. it’s different kind of show, we have a woman as the heroine, vampires are main characters before they became mainstream popular, etc.). If you could summarize those reasons, which would be your top three?

For me:

1. Girl power. I’m a woman and I love to have Buffy as the leading character. She’s not only physically powerful, she’s also sassy and self-confident. I admire and envy her strengths (and weaknesses). She’s a leader, a strategist, and a powerful woman in charge. At the same time, she’s loving, sweet, funny, beautiful, and has real weaknesses. Overall, she’s relatable.

2. Friendship. The Scoobies are an incredible group of people that love and support each other. They stand by each other and are able to resolve their conflicts. Their friendship is meaningful and involves a great deal of mutual respect and admiration.

3. Romance. I’m a romantic at heart, so for me the romances of BtVS are very appealing. They encompass sweetness, drama, heartbreak, love, passion, and fire. And, in particular, I’m a Spuffy lover. For me, it’s very rewarding to see the underdog fight his way to the top, earning love, respect and redemption along the way.

Art of the month
Check out @Name the Stars drawings and banners
378aa976-c26a-4d9a-b34e-d54d97d5068d.png
Drusilla approved!

And when you have the time give this a glance from @RachM the 10 best character centric episodes from BTVS
Which episodes would make your list?

Blast from the past
This blast from the past is a targeted attempt (based on this thread Who Understands Angel Best?) to convince @thetopher that Wesley and Angel had one of the deepest and magical friendship across the shows! Submit or every newsletter from now on will feature an Angel and Wes video :p (disclaimer: you are afraid your own opinions, but as a member of the Black Thorn I feel obligated to tell you that we have tools for convincing that you couldn't even dream of!)

Now, keep on keeping on! Keep posting and be excellent to each other.
Until next time!

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Excellent, as always:)
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
film club?
Top Bottom