• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Cast Talks About Whedon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priceless

Scooby
I was thinking about SMG bringing MT onto set, which meant they had to age Dawn up. Maybe SMG didn't want an 11 year old on set because the cast knew what an abusive b**tard Whedon was? I'm not saying they knew he was a predator, just that the workplace had become toxic and it wasn't the place for a child.

RachM
RachM
I had this same thought.
K
katmobile
It's possible but I'm not sure Sarah would have bought someone she was close to into that if she knew fully how toxic it was

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
I was thinking about SMG bringing MT onto set, which meant they had to age Dawn up. Maybe SMG didn't want an 11 year old on set because the cast knew what an abusive b**tard Whedon was? I'm not saying they knew he was a predator, just that the workplace had become toxic and it wasn't the place for a child.
I doubt SMG would think : "This set is toxic, we can't have an 11 yo working here. My 14 yo friend on the other hand is nbd".

Spanky
Spanky
LOL

Priceless

Scooby
I doubt SMG would think : "This set is toxic, we can't have an 11 yo working here. My 14 yo friend on the other hand is nbd".
I don't think she'd think of it that way. She knew the set was toxic, or we have a lot of evidence suggesting she knew, yet she suggested MT for the role. I just imagine she felt MT and she were close, could talk if anything bad happened etc.

Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
Ah I see your point
CountSpike
CountSpike
Thats sad that they had to work on such a great show with this hanging over them. I used to look up to whedon. 4get him

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
What MT is saying with the don't leave him alone with Michelle is not only is Joss a child abuser but that others knew about it and covered it up.
Hopefully this post makes it crystal clear to everyone why it's not appropriate to make vague ambiguous accusations about a named person on a public platform. It will encourage reactionary people to label others as child abusers and enablers, which is both unhelpful and potentially dangerous.

B
Btvs fan
What do you think she meant then ?

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
I have a series of questions that I try to remember asking myself when I am tempted to jump to conclusions regarding the young people around me:
"What do I see?"
"What do I think that I am seeing?"
"What am I saying that I am seeing?"

There is a little of jumping to conclusions going on here. It is so very easy to to join a pack. I amno Christian, but I nonetheless seem to recall a lesson regarding who has the right to cast the first stone. Josd Whedon clearly gas acted in ways an employer shouldn't. Michelle T. clearly has communicated in a way that is open for a multitude of interpretations. Please, people, can we take a cuppa (tea, blood, whatever) and a wee breather? The next few weeks may or may not come with more substantial information. Let's not tear people apart in the meantime.

So far, I have no reason to think thstI know what happened between Michelle Trachtenberg and Joss Whedon. What I see, is that she says that he treated her badly. I believe that when she says so. What I don't know, is how. I am going to keep my fantasy in check and not make assumptions.

Spanky
Spanky
cuppa blood lol
B
Btvs fan
She said inappropriate behavior with a teenager/ dont leave him alone with her rule thats more than just him being toxic

darkspook

Potential
Given what was being suggested and commented on the other thread 'cough' trolling etc are we really not surprised that people didn't come forward then and there?

We have to remember that the late 90s/ early 2000s which we are guessing is the timeframe for this was a very different time not just in the world but in Hollywood. There were very few female directors compared to the number now, Black Panther was a fantasy, Weinstein was at full power and sadly his casting couch likely to be in full use, network television dorminated the universe and netflix was a mere spelling mistake.

Sadly the reaction by some on the forum highlights a comment I made on that very thread that people who do come forward about abuse are met with abuse, scepticism, degrading comments and loss of work. On the previous thread there were almost demands for MT is be more detailed in her about experiences while CC had been detailed and yet there was a debate whether CC was in the wrong about announcing her pregrancy to Joss, people made degrading comments about MT and CC and one even joked about abuse.

Are we as a society so hungry for the gory details just so we can chat about them in social media? Are we not mature enough, open enough to talk about such a subject in a responsible, understanding and considerable manner?

B
Btvs fan
In terms if time line MT was on the show from 5 to 7 so thats 2000 to 2003

jls

a big cat
To people getting carried away in the other thread: MT is evidently saying as much as she feels comfortable with. Who knows, perhaps she is feeling out the situation to figure out whether she is ready to speak out. She has every right to do so. She does gently rib herself in saying "I am brave enough now as a 35 year old woman....To repost this." She is still scared, I gather. Making assumptions doesn't give you the right to demand clarity. Just don't make the assumptions. They are her experiences, they do not belong to you. Get a hold of yourselves, you are in no position to demand that she gets a hold of you, for you. No one is.

In other news, Eliza Dushku's statement was heartfelt and a balm.

Priceless
Priceless
I've not seen Eliza Dushkus statement, could you post it?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok, this is a new thread and lets leave the mentioning of other posters in the previous thread out of it, keep this thread about what has been reported rather than about other posters and what they've posted.

jls
jls
aye aye, sorry.
Reactions: jls

TriBel

Scooby
Joss Whedon's an arse. He's intelligent and creative but an arse. I like BtVS and AtS but I don't seek his other works out. He's an arse because of the way he talks...when he's questioned he's defensive and he takes refuge in sarcasm. I don't read/listen to interviews because I never know whether he's serious or not. Sarcasm (and irony) are dangerous because they can't be mastered. At worst, they're incredibly damaging. Forget sticks and stones...language can hurt more than a slap. So...I can imagine situations that are toxic without being physical; that are wrong without being illegal. I'll reserve judgement until the situation's clearer but I'm certainly not going to criticize those who've spoken out against him.

jls

a big cat
So, of the Buffy cast, SMG, Michelle Trachtenberg, Eliza Dushku, Stewart Anthony-Head, Clare Kramer, Amber Benson, all responded. We're still waiting on a few.... I hope they don't let us down 👀

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
I don't think it's fair to demand that everyone who was ever involved with Whedon makes a public statement. It's a very stressful situation to be put in, and I wouldn't blame any of them to feel uncomfortable about commenting : people are already over analyzing every single word they write, and will jump at their throat at any perceived leniency.

jls
jls
if that's at me ... I'm not demanding, I'm simply very interested to get all their perspectives. I don't think that I, or anyone else, is owed their input. Just to clarify.

Antho

Scooby
The fact there was a rule to never leave MT alone rule means people knew what was going on but covered it up
You see that’s exactly why Michelle’s comment needs to be more explicit. Do you realise what you said ? You literally accuses Whedon to be a child abuser and the others member of the cast to knew about that and to covered it up. You might be right. You might be wrong. But you are making your own scenario in your head and all of that just based on Michelle’s ambiguous comment.

Btvs fan

Scooby
You see that’s exactly why Michelle’s comment needs to be more explicit. Do you realise what you said ? You literally accuses Whedon to be a child abuser and the others member of the cast to knew about that and to covered it up. You might be right. You might be wrong. But you are making your own scenario in your head and all of that just based on Michelle’s ambiguous comment.
Its not just 1 comment though. She's made several. Now you could be right she could be lying but why would she do that ?
She could mean he was just controlling abusive like with CC but again why use the phrases she's using if that was the case.

jls

a big cat
They actually didn't accuse him of being a child abuser. You added that in. They just said that others knew * whatever it was * and covered up * whatever it was *.

oh sorry @nightshade ! hadn't clicked on the links, thought they were still being compiled :)

Antho
Antho
She didn’t contradict me though and I think people said it on the previous thread

Antho

Scooby
Its not just 1 comment though. She's made several. Now you could be right she could be lying but why would she do that ?
She could mean he was just controlling abusive like with CC but again why use the phrases she's using if that was the case.
I don’t think she is lying. But there is different kind of abuse. Maybe he said thing that were completely deplaced.. maybe sometimes he had some gestures that he shouldn’t have had.. but the fact is we don’t know the nature of the abuse she claimed to be a victim of so.., let’s not make assumptions of who is a paedophile and who covered it all of that..

Btvs fan

Scooby
I don’t think she is lying. But there is different kind of abuse. Maybe he said thing that were completely deplaced.. maybe sometimes he had some gestures that he shouldn’t have had.. but the fact is we don’t know the nature of the abuse she claimed to be a victim of so.., let’s not make assumptions of who is a paedophile and who covered it all of that..
"The last. Comment I will make on this. Was. There was a rule. Saying. He's not allowed in a room alone with Michelle again,"

The term again is telling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom