• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy coming to Channel 4 in the UK and its streaming service

Mr Trick

Scooby

Its already on Amazon Prime so I don't know if it going up on All 4 is that bigger deal. The bigger part of this is that it will be airing on E4. I think that could turn new fans onto it.

Last edited:

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
If it's on E4 then I don't think that there will be any editing, the network has aired more sexually explicit shows such as Skins and My Mad Fat Diary.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
It would have been better airing on C4 on its original broadcast as I doubt it would be cut up into a sometimes incomprehensible mess as it was on the BBC. If you have to air a show twice in one day, cut and uncut, then don't bother acquiring the rights. It's not a children's show.

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Exactly. SyFy decimated it by airing it in the afternoon.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Just posted about this in the awesome thread. It looks the zoomed in version though.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I'm right up for this :D . Just registered on All4 since you don't need a TV license to use it . :D Just don't use Amazon enough to justify paying for Prime all year .

Also discovered All4 had Hill Street Blues available . I'll be checking some of that out .

Priceless

Scooby
It's on E4, channel 13 freeview and I'm recording it. Even though I've got every episode downloaded and the dvd's. I just want the viewing figures to be good. It's on at 11pm so I'm hoping nothing's going to be cut.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's on E4, channel 13 freeview and I'm recording it. Even though I've got every episode downloaded and the dvd's. I just want the viewing figures to be good. It's on at 11pm so I'm hoping nothing's going to be cut.
I doubt anything's going to be cut considering it's at 11pm. However bits of individual frames in scenes may be because of the cropping/zooming screwing with composition. So bye bye to anything on the edge of the frame and hello to extra crew members!

Priceless

Scooby
Isn't it impossible for tv stations nowadays to show the original version of the show? If only because viewers won't watch as they expect a brighter remastered version.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Isn't it impossible for tv stations nowadays to show the original version of the show? If only because viewers won't watch as they expect a brighter remastered version.
Probably, *sigh*. Their ad campaign seems to be going for nostalgia and so aimed at existing fans first and foremost, but If they really knew the fanbase they'd know we'd want the original. I just came across a reddit thread which claimed a lot of the initial errors has been fixed, but the TV trailer makes me suspicious. It all looks very bright and widescreen throughout. I'm hoping it may have been just for the ad...

Priceless

Scooby
That very opening scene in to advert, where we're following the camera across a floor littered with clothes etc., that's not from the show is it?

vampmogs

Potential
I know a lot of people aren't fans of the HD and that the brightness, particularly in S1, is an issue but that footage in the promo looks particularly horrendous. I have the entire HD version downloaded and it doesn't look that bad so I'm confused *scratches head.*

The promo is ok. It's relying very heavily on 90's nostalgia (with Britney playing) and I think it paints somewhat of an inaccurate picture of not only the show's tone but Buffy's character as well. But I get what they're going for.

@Priceless the footage at the beginning is from The Witch. It's when Buffy wakes up and is effected by Catherine's spell and is all loopy.

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Yeah I was thrown by the Britney initially!

Priceless

Scooby
@Priceless the footage at the beginning is from The Witch. It's when Buffy wakes up and is effected by Catherine's spell and is all loopy.
Thank you. Of course it is. I think the brightness threw me 😁

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
It is a tough one for TV now. I'm rewatching at the moment and there's no denying that the original is in desperate need of some TLC. Some of the scenes are so dark or grainy it's amazing it was released like that. All more noticeable now with newer TVs and different tech. On the other hand the HD version while massively improving some visual elements it mangles a lot of others.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I know a lot of people aren't fans of the HD and that the brightness, particularly in S1, is an issue but that footage in the promo looks particularly horrendous. I have the entire HD version downloaded and it doesn't look that bad so I'm confused *scratches head.*

The promo is ok. It's relying very heavily on 90's nostalgia (with Britney playing) and I think it paints somewhat of an inaccurate picture of not only the show's tone but Buffy's character as well. But I get what they're going for.

Yeah I thought using the Brittney song was a bit lame. I think its a prom clearly aimed at the typical teen audience which I'm guessing E4 attracts. So their selling the show as full of girl power, energy but hiding some of the darker or subversive elements. Still once its on those that stick with it should see there's more. The 11.00pm time slot does bother me.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I think ir's allowed to download shows from All4 in the clear ? I would dearly like a legitimate hard copy of the HD to use for comparison to the original . Natch it's only 480 SD and comes with adverts but it's good enough for my nerdy fanwank purposes . Bring out the Bluray ! :D .

Been trying out All4 with Hill Street Blues :D . It is not a seamless streaming experience but it'll do .

Top Bottom